British Railway Journal Volume 7
The LNER Camping Coach Scheme. Part 1. Mike Fenton,
Some official LNER material, including an extract from a guide to the service from 1936, possibly written by C.J. Cutcliffe Hyne, plus many happy snapshots of jolly campers, including one wearing collar and tie polishing his shoes for a walk in the country. Includes the route followed by the touring camping coach and plans of this vehicle and of the more typical six-wheeled vehicles used at fixed locations. Illus.: CC84 (ex-MSLR six wheel brake third) at St John's Chapel with Mackenzie family from Redcar; Alston 1938 with Webster family from Normanton (Jean Gratton); 42221 (GNR 3rd) at Pateley Bridge in 1933 with Ainscow family from Southport (Roy Ainscow); Hepscott party at Kirbymoorside showing signal box and coach; CC66 (touring camping coach; CC50 at Ravenscar in August 1935 (Muriel Hudson); and at Sandsend..
Locomotive liveries of the GWR Northern Division. Part
3. Brian Arman. 17-21.
Second transitional period (1894-1902): the death knell for independence at Wolverhampton sounded in 1894 when a standard livery and corporate image was imposed. Several of the illustrations clearly show the scalloped corners employed in Wolverhampton lining during this final period: 3521 0-4-4T No. 3556 in late 1890s; 517 0-4-2T 1475 in February 1900?; 555 in April 1902, and 3600 2-4-2T 3604 post-March 1913. The other illustrations illuminate other aspects of Wolverhamption detail: 517 class 567 as Bishops Castle Railway No. 1 at Craven Arms in about 1930; 2021 0-6-0ST 2050 with short bunker and squat safety valve bonnet; Dean goods 2316 at Highbridge on 15 August 1923 with tall chimney (see letter 62-203 by David Rouse noting that 9001 was running with similar chimney in early 1950s); 0-6-0ST 2039 showing Wolverhampton bunker, and 850 class 856 with Rosco lubricator behind chimney, an old five course tank in 1920s, but prior to rebuilding with pannier tanks in October 1924. See also GWRJ, 2015 (96) 477 letter by Roger Davis.
Ashley Hill. 22-7.
Notes by John Copsey on photographs taken prior to WW1 from a collection held by Paul Strong . The photographs are reproduced to show the maximum amount of detail - in some cases the railway element is a minor component of the illustration. Ashley Hill is a suburban area of Bristol on the 1 in 75 Filton bank. Main picture also reproduced in BackTrack 17 page 558.
NRM Archive. Peter Stevens.
See Editorial in (54) xx and reply by Andrew Scott (vv) vv: writer represented HMRS which uses PhotoCAT and was in discussion with NRM that it should adopt same system.
Giffard injector. Royston Carrs.
See (NN) page 333: Henri Giffard not Gifford.
Tanat Valley. D.P. Rowland.
See (NN) page vvv: LNER quintruple bolster wagon, probably Boplate E.
LNWR Southern Division 0-4-2 at Monument Lane. Peter Davis.
See (54) page 213: Locomotive was a Bayer rather than a "McConnell": Ramsbotton eliminated many McConnell features, substituting shorter, plainer Crewe-type chimneys. No 601 was fitted with two Giffard injectors and two whistles.
The Kirkburton branch. Alan Earnshaw. 29-44.
A very detailed study, which includes maps, plans and diagrams of many of the structure, plus notes of the ICI chemical works and its traffic and of Read, Holliday & Sons of Bradford which first created the dye works which was acquired by ICI (one of their tank wagons is illustrated).
George Hughes of Horwich. John Marshall. 46-57.
illus. (including portrait).
Thorough biography, much of which has been incorporated into biographical part of entry for Hughes. Part 2: 60 page 112.
Winchester City Station. Gerry Beale. 59-63.
Official photographs taken for British Railways Southern Region on 27 August 1963, also boyhood (1960s) memories of station.
The diaries of V.R. Webster. Part 12. 64+
25 September 1929 and 20 October 1929: latter lists engines on shed at Gloucester and a trip over the Swindon to Gloucester line. See letter by David Holmes (62) p. 203 where one line went over rather than under.
Woodhay Station; Didcot, Newbury & Southampton
Railway. Gerry Beale. 65-7.
Photographs submitted by G.E. Rankin-Moore. Includes two-page spread: photographs probabnly show sttion as opened in 1885: station was a timber structure situated on an embankment.
Dunford Bridge. Peter Denny (photograph) and Bob How
A1 2558 Tracery on 10 April 1939 on Manchester to Marylebone train leaving Woodhead Tunnel
Great Central Railway signal boxes around Rugby. Anthony
Shawell, Rugby Cattle Sidings, Rugby Station, Barby Sidings: the GCR used the term signal cabins: each cabin/box has a track layout diagram. See letter by Don Rowland (60-132) about illustration showing horsebox at mainline platform. Yet further hypothetical movements of horse and/or horsebox in letters by Kendall and John Steel in (62) p. 203.
A 'Castle' Class 4-6-0 leaving Exeter with a down Wolverhampton to Torbay Express in 1930. Donald Barber. Cover Photo.
Brighton Lower Yard . Chris Turner, 91-103.
25 in. Ordnance Survey plans of area from Preston Park to Brighton terminus (1931 edition); signalling plans (J.M. Wagstaff) of Lover's Walk Junction, Montpelier Junction and Brighton Upper Goods. Photographs and observations relate to 1950s. Letter page 203 (62) on number painted inside door of van shown on page 101. Notes relate to traffic and working methods. Part 2 61-135. Part 3 69-165.
Donald Barber, an 'Official' Railway Photographer.
Ian Harrison. 105-9.
Barber was granted a lineside pass by the GWR on condition that he submitted prints to the Company: in this way some of his output was used in official publications, including the Great Western Railway Magazine. His work was also included in The Railway Magazine. Some his colour work is in the care of Colour-Rail. Illus.: Castle class at Countessweir on express to Torbay in 1930 see letter (62) page 203 from R.N. Swan concerning location and spelling; 43xx on station pilot duties at Exeter St Davids in 1919; King on up express at Exminster in 1930; 5020 Trematon Castle hauling Wolverhampton to Torbay express through Exeter St Thomas in early 1930s; T9 No. E284 on Plymouth to Brighton train west of Cowley Bridge Junction in 1928; T9 No. E289 on Brighton to Plymouth train at near same location and date as previous; E454 Queen Guinevere on Exeter Queen Street to Yeovil Junction slow in mid-1920s
Exeter St Davids. Brian Arman (notes). 110-11
517 class No. 1439 attaching brown livery slip coach to up express c1911.
George Hughes of Horwich. Part 2. John Marshall.
Much of the source material is based on copies of outgoing correspondence. For instance, there is a lengthy letter to John Peachey Crouch who had joined the Central Argentine Railway as CME in 1910 after leaving Horwich. Includes application of superheating, design of dynamometer car based on Flamme's ideas and side elevation of proposed Flamme-based 2-10-0 with 50 ft2 grate. Experimental electric shunting locomotive based on frames of 2-4-2T. Much relates to activities of E. O'Brien, especially Bury to Holcombe Brook experimental electrification. Correspondence with Gresley concerning premium apprentices. Correspondence with Aspinall concerning wage inflation due to WW1.Part 1 see 59 page 46..
Pre-war petrol depots on the North Eastern Railway.
J.F. Mallon. 124
Lists the many Acts relating to the storage, handling and sale of petroleum. Lists specific NER installations including those of Anglo-American Oil Co., Crighton's Oil Co. Ltd., which became Consolidated Oil Co., Caucasian Petroleum Export Co., General Petroleum Co. Ltd. and others. On 1 December 1908 the NER apointed Mr J.C. Angus as the company's Fire Risk Inspector. Mentions Air Ministry depots created in the mid-1930s. Illus.: Malton on 19 June 1961 showing (just) Esso depot, J77 68393 with oil tanks passing Air Ministry Bilton depot of 1938 (J.W. Armstrong); also Esso depot at Huntingdon with three tank wagons No. 981 and 303 lettered Esso but on two different backgrounds and 342 lettered Royal Daylight. (Guy Hemingway)
Rugby Central. Don Rowland.
Comment on illustration in feature in Issue 59 (page 59) which showed horsebox at platform.
Camping coaches. Jack Burrell.
See feature in Issue 58 page xx: travellers to camping coaches on Alnwick to Coldstream line were conveyed in a coach attached to daily parcels train: this vehicle continued to be attached during WW2.
Henstridge. Michael Bishop.
Refers back to feature in Issue 54: Jack Dulborough was successor to Mr Whitehouse as stationmaster in about 1940. German bombers used the line as a directional aid to approach Bristol for bombing aircraft factory at Filton.Cattle traffic was important.
Beyer double-framed 0-6-0s. Jack Braithwaite.
See Issue 56 page 271: The Railway Herald of 19 September 1896 includes a note by C.O. Thomas that Swindon locomotives were "being painted the new light green colour, instead of the old blue-green of the Northern Division, while the splendid new goods engines are painted the old dark green of the Northern Division."
Book Reviews 132.
The locomotives of the Stockton & Darlington Railway. T.R. Pearce. HMRS. RJE
The railways of Keynsham. Russell Leitch. RCTS. RGW
Brighton Lower Yard. Part 2. Chris Turner.
Part 1 begins 60-91. Transhipment centre, replaced by Zonal Collection & Delivery System; supervisory staff; overtime; methjods of working; office work; road vehicles for collection & delivery, and vehicle maintenance; traffic statistics; types of traffic. Illus. both interior and exterior of shed and yard. E4 32577 shunting in 1950s. Part 3 69-165..
The Diaries of V.R. Webster. Part 13. 149-52.
December 1929: allocation of 6017 and 6019 to Stafford Road to operate best Paddington services; 4 December 1929 fast run behind 4359 on up journey from Reading (with log); 14 December 1929: flooding near Athelney and problems with seawall at Dawlish (special stock kept ready in case services have to be diverted over SR route); 23 December 1929: travel Marylebone to Leicester behind 4-4-2 5258 (log); January 1930: exciting news from Swindon: more 57xx and prospect of revolutionary 2251 class; 3-9 January 1930: service disrupted at Dawlish; 1 February 1930: derailment of King at Dawlish and 2933 near Solihull; April 1930: visits to King's Cross and Bricklayers Arms sheds; 5 April 1930 saw a 2251; 18 April 1930 visit to Cardiff. Illustrations: 2744 showing corridor tender; G class 0-6-0ST A685 at Bricklayers Arms; B2 0-6-0 B535 at Battersea Park; E852 at Longhedge; T1 0-4-4T E19; Beattie 0-6-0ST E0331, and E460 at Nine Elms; at Cardiff: 4148 Singapore, 3304 River Tamar; Barry Railway 0-6-0ST No. 712; ex-TVR 0-6-2T 385 and 286, and RR No. 609.
Gorton Works and Loco. Steve Banks. 153-6.
See letter by D.R. Smith (62-203) commenting upon freight to passenger revenue ratio and financial state of GCR. July 1921: 9Qs 4-6-0 (LNER B7) under construction in erecting shop; No. 78 (9Qs) in worshop grey in running sheds; 8K (O4 2-8-0) in erecting shop during conversion to burn pulverized fuel; Erecting Shop No. 1 bay on 29 May 1938 eith two A5 4-6-2Ts (5030 and 5168) under repair; another view same day: Atlantic 5267; Q4 5153 and J39 2998.
Top of GWR-type locomotive. 156.
Remainder hidden by wall with two large enamel advertisements for Sutton's Seeds and Wright's Coal Tar Soap: see letter by J. Richard Morton (62) p. 203 who claims location is Kidderminster.
A West Somerset idyll. Gerry Beale. 157-65.
Minehead branch (illustrations): notes on West Somerset preserved railway.
George Hughes of Horwich. Part 3. John Marshall.
Includes notes on the obvious unsuitability of Hughes as the grouped railway's CME, his premature retirement and place of burial. Illus. (including portrait). See letters by Bob Essery in Number 62 page 203 and Number 66 page 44 which disagreed with Marshall's disparaging comments concerning Midland Railway locomotives, although Essery does give support for the absurdity of the 2P class and suggests that toom many 4F 0-6-0s may have been constructed. and correspondence in between by John B. Hamilton and Alf Powick on page 294 of Issue Number 64 which led to the further barbs from Essery. Part 1 59 page 46.
Ex-NBR C16 Class No. 67494 at Bo'ness on 7th September 1955. R.M. Casserley. Cover Photo.
The 'Real Photographs' story. Stanley J. Rhodes.
Ellison Hawks was the advertising manager for Meccano Ltd and the editor of the Meccano Magazine. He formed the Real Photographs Co in Liverpool to supply prints. Rhodes, started to take photographs in the 1930s and supplied prints directly to enthusiasts and via Real Photographs. R.P. News started in July 1941, but the supply of railway photogarphs had to cease during WW2. Post WW2 Rhodes and Hawkes set up in business with the former establishing reproduction facilities in Broadstairs, and then in Ramsgate. The sales and supplies were handled from Southport. It had been hoped to enter into an agreement with Ian Allan to supply prints from the Locomotive Publsihing Co, but the deal failed, and much of the material was damaged. Real Photographs took over the Whitworth Collection (Will Whitworth, Manchester dentist), the H. Gordon Tidey Collection and the Croughton Collection. The phtographic equipment, collections of aircraft and ship photographs, and the eventual transfer of the business to Ian Allan, and the negatives to the NRM, are also detailed. Illustrations: E850 Lord Nelson climbing Grosvenor bank with boat train in 1927 (F.R. Hebron); 1163 on down Liverpool express passing Kenton with some stock still in LNWR livery (F.R. Hebron); LMS 2-4-0 (ex-MR) 219 on Harrogate to Bradford local at Manningham in 1927; CR 179 class 17909 at Balornock shed in September 1935; last day on Brill branch (30 November 1935), with Stanley Rhodes and H.C. Casserley in picture; Wirrall Railway 4-4-4T No. 14 outside Birkenhead in 1923 (W.H. Whitworth); NSR 4-4-0 No. 170 piloting Claughton 1159 Ralph Brocklebank leaving Crewe in 1924 (WHW); LNER 2512 Silver Fox at Newcastle in 1936 (WHW); CR 943 leaving Carlisle with down freight (H. Gordon Tidey); GNR 0-6-2T 1561 in green livery at Palmers Green with Cuffley train c1921 (HGT); G2 0-8-0 climbing away from Oxenholme with freight in 1925 (HGT); LMS (ex-CR) 4-4-0s 14458 and 14505 with an up Aberdeen express passing Luncarty in c1926 with Pullman and stock in CR livery; ex-FR 4-6-4T 11101 on down Euston to Whitehaven train leaving Carnforth in c1926 (HGT); R class 4-4-0 No. 202 on Newcastle to Leeds express with some vans still in pre-group livery; John Gardner and Stanley Rhodes in 1976 (portraits); Nottingham Victoria (pp. 190-1) - see (64) page 294 for letter by J. Rhodes; X3 2-2-4T No. 190 (lettered LNER) with Directors' Saloon c1932 photograph also shows LMS class 2P 4-4-0. (HGT); Stanley station on 26 June 1937 (H.R. Norman).
Wenford Bridge. Gerry Beale. 194-7.
30586 in August 1948; 30587 crossing Pooley's Bridge Road; and at china clay dries in 1956 (M.E.J. Deane); E0314 in July 1927 (before being rebuilt in 1931 still with Beattie Donkey pump); end-door wagon W92934 (5-plank) in St Blazey yard (Roger Speller)
Saltash. Ian J. Pusey and Mike
Claimed to be an 1862 view of broad gauge Cornwall Railway leading onto Royal Albert Bridge.
Lesser-known Termini - Bo'ness. Gerry Beale.
Borrowstounness or Bo'ness: terminus of NBR branch from Manuel: Ordnance Survey map 25 inch 1916; J37 64571 on freight and NBR 4-4-2T on 7 September 1955; and 67494 on passenger train with timber imports in background (R.M. Casserley).
Goose Pill, Milford. 202.
0-6-0ST approaching Neyland on passnger train with engine shed in foreground.
George Hughes of Horwich. Bob Essery.
Disputes assertion made by Marshall in Number 61 page 169 (begins 166) concerning unsuitability of Midland designs for general use on LMS, although Essery does agree that the 2P class was an absurdity and that too many 4F and Compunds were constructed, he supports the 0-6-0T shunters which he calls "excellent machines" and [KPJ presumably on a par with the 57xx, J50, J72, etc built elsewhere]. Essery accuses Marshall of "sweeping statements".
Gorton Works and Loco. D.R. Smith.
See (61) page 153: H&BR had a higher goods to passenger revenue ratio than GCR.
Mystery photograph. J. Richard Morton.
See (61) page 156: Kidderminster
Donald Barber. R.N. Swan.
See (60) page 104: location was Salmon Pool bridge not Countess Wear (note on unusual spelling).
Brighton Lower Yard. K.J. Bowen.
See feature (60) page 91: illus. page 101: van number painted on inside of door
Horse box at Rugby. J.W.Kendall.
See (59) page 77: movement thereof
Horse box at Rugby. John Steel
See (59) page 77: hypothetical movement thereof
The diaries of V.R. Webster. David Holmes.
See (59) 64: Swindon to Gloucester line crosses over route of MSWJ route.
Tall chimneys. David Rouse.
See (58) page 17: 9001 ran with tall chimney for several years.
Tablet catchers. Don Rowland.
Those used on Dumfries to Stranraer line were temporary attachments and merely needed a small bracket: see also letter from Mike Christensen in BRJ 66 page 44. Also problems of creosote on sleepers damaging Sapper uniforms.
Appeal. A.F. Nisbet
Dundee Harbour railways: pictures.
The LNER Camping Coach Scheme. Part 2. Mike Fenton.
Some official LNER material plus many happy snapshots of jolly campers. Holiday trip to Forge Valley coach in September 1936 by Winnie Atkinson and her party of work collegues and their boy friends; Mackenzie family holidays at Romaldkirk in CC25 in 1934; at Carnaby in CC42 in 1935, and in CC84 at St John's Chapel in 1936; Fred & Ella Roughton in CC4 at Cloughton; Vera Coe and friends in CC1 at Pateley Bridge in 1936 and at Helmsley in 1935, the Seabrook family at Hopton (CC36) in 1936 (great view of new-looking signal box at Hopton on Sea; van Heerikhuisen party from the Netherlands at Aysgarth in CC8 in 1937; CC13 probably at Hopton; coaches at Pateley Bridge; Styan family at Glaisdale in 1936.
Southern Railway 4-6-0 No. E483 at Bournemouth Shed in August 1930. V.R. Webster. Cover Photo:
Talywain and its Mineral Lines. Desmond Coakham.
Very steeply graded line (1 in 17) from Llanerch to Cwmnantddu. Map as at 1953. Bibliography. Part 2 in (64) page 289. Illustrations: 2094 hauling with ex-Barry 0-6-0ST 720 banking on incline on 25 March 1948 (Frank Jones). Abersychan & Talywan station in July 1958 (H.C. Casserley); 4291 at Golynos Junction on 3 July 1962; 816 (ex-PTR 0-6-0T) at Blaenserchen on 17 August 1953; Navigation Colliery on 14 August 1953; No. 720 with Blaenserchen coaches from Navigation on 30 August 1951; several views of Big Arch: locomotive shed on 22 August 1968 with Llewellyn
Petroleum Storage Depot. Norman Simmons.
The Esso depot at Aldershot as described for the Airfix Magazine in 1965.
Two-page spread: 0-6-0ST on mixed train post-1908.
The S&M Ford Railcar. R.S. Carpenter.
Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Railway contraption: at Llanymynech on 18 May 1929; at Shrewsbury Abbey c1931; at Kinnerley stationon 6 October 1931; looking rather forgotten on 18 July 1932 and in service on 5 August 1935 at Kinnerley and at Criggion. They were known by the S&M staff as the "rattlers" on account of their noise and riding qualities. Eric Tonks commented on travel in a similar unit on the K&ESR where the staff called them "just a broken down bus on rails".
Wenford Bridge. Part 2. Gerry Beale. 249-57.
Includes Ordnance Survey plans (no dates given) of Wenford Bridge terminus and the tramway to the De Lank Quarry: on the plan the spelling is Wenfordbridge. There are several views, taken by R.W. Kidner in 1933 of the quarry incline in operation., notably views of activities at the top. There is also a Kidner photograph of E0314 at the SR terminus, and later (1956) pictures of 30587 and 30585 (Ian Baker and R.C. Riley)
The Diaries of V. R. Webster. Part 14. 258-64.
8 June 1930 fast run (41 min. 20 sec. down to Reading behind 4031 Queen Mary; June 1930 visited Old Oak Common; July 1930 visited Neasden sheds of LNER and Metropolitan Railway; in August 1930 he holidayed in Swanage and described (with sketch maps) the railways in the Poole, Bournemouth and Lymington areas. Illustrations from that time include LMS 0-4-4T 1203 at Poole; Wareham station (with branch train); E29 at Lymington; E738 on turntable at Salibury; E0441, E684 and E322 at Salisbury; E433 and E331 at Bournemouth and E0528, E0442, E94, A952, E585 and E765 at Eastleigh.
Aylesbury Joint Station prior to the 1925 rebuild.
Lens of Sutton. Cover Photo.
Detailed in Frank Goudie's article (below).
The Aylesbury & Buckingham Railway. Frank
Claydon (Verney Junction) via Quainton to Aylesbury (GWR station). Link to LNWR station also originally envisaged. Duke of Buckingham, Chairman of LNWR, had been involved but withdrew. Sir Harry Verney was also involved and the contractor Francis Rummens became involved. Opened to passengers on 23 September 1868. GWR operated line, but railway ended up in debt to GWR. Acquired by Metropoolitan Railway on 28 February 1890. The section between Quainto Road and Aylesbury was upgraded to mainline standard to permit the GCR to reach London, but Aylesbury station was not rebuilt until 1925-6. Many illustrations: Verney Junction with Metropolitan Railway H class 4-4-4T No. 103, and with E class No. 82 with Pullman car (in original umber & cream livery) c1910; with ex-LNWR 2-4-2T 6701 on Bletchley to Oxford train and MR 107 on 2 May 1936 (H.C. Casserley); F7 8507 on push & pull train at Winslow Road on 2 May 1936 (HCC); Granborough Road station on 3 June 1933; F1 5575 at Quainton Road on single coach train; MR G class as LNER 6157 on freight near Quainton Road; MR 2-6-4T on freight and A class No. 23 on Brill train at Quainton Road in 1930s (S.H. Freese); MR A class No.s 23 and 41 at Quainton Road; Waddesdon station; F7 8307 at Aylesbury (on Verney Junction push & pull) and J11 5201 on 8 April 1933 (HCC); N7 69300 on Aylesbury shed on 8 July 1951; F7 8307 with clear view of twelve-wheel push & pull coach No 5190 on 8 April 1933 (HCC); Pullman car Mayflower in lake livery on 2 May 1936 (HCC); Cauliflower 8535 on Banbury to Bletchley train at Verney Junction on 2 May 1936 (HCC); L2 (MR) 6161 and 6162 st Waddesdon station on freights on 13 May and 17 June 1939 respectively (HCC).
T14 class No. 445 at Exmouth Junction (?) prior to
with another T14 behind - both in LSWR livery.
Talywain and its Mineral Lines. Part 2. Desmond
Part 1 was in (63) page 228. Llanerch branch (1 in 24); opencast mining; closure of pits and lines. Illustrations: 75083, 75056 and 720.
Nottingham Victoria. J.D. Rhodes.
Number 62 page 190/1: Identifies some of the workings of trains portrayed: that at Platform 7 was probably a Newcastle to Swansea working; the one headed by an ex-GNR 4-4-0 was probably for Grantham; the one behind an 0-6-0 probably for Derby via Gelding, but could not provide a destination for Sentinel railcar.
George Hughes of Horwich. John B. Hamilton.
Comments on Essery's defence of Midland locomotive quality in response to Marshall's article on Hughes. Quotes David L. Smith's comment that the 0-6-0Ts were "were truly terrible" and that the design dated back to 1899 [KPJ: British Railways allowed J72 class, which stemmed from same period, to be expanded], also notes the poorly designed regulator. This and subsequent letter called down the wrath of Essery.
George Hughes of Horwich. Alf Powick.
Alleges that the J94 (Hunslet for War Department) and J50 were better than LMS 0-6-0Ts, and that 57xx was better still. This and previous letter called down the wrath of Essery.
Donald Barber. Peter Davis.
See Number 60 page 105 concerning The Great Bear being seen in Exeter: writer confirms that his father saw the locomotive in Taunton in about 1909/10.
Pre-war petrol depots. J.B. Horne.
See Number 60 page ccc: by the 1890s the railways were well aware of the requirements for carrying petroleum products through their involvement in carrying gas oil used in the manufacture of gas for carriage lighting. Also mentions that the shale oil industry in Scotland required tank wagons [KPJ: seem to remember such in Hurst Nelson collection].
More on Dulcote Quarries. Ian Harrison,
Earlier contribution was in Number 54 page 214: GWR ballast quarry: illustrated GWR ballast wagons and locomotives at quarry: 1854 class No. 1893 and Buffalo class Nos. 1575 and 1626. p. 303 crane subject of correspondence by Peter Tatlow (Number 66 page 44) and John Lewis (Number 68 page 132).
The Diaries of V.R. Webster. Part 15. 304
Map of Stratford area. Visit to Stratford in October 1930 where 2-4-2T 7099 still in wartime GER grey. February 1931: Redhill shed. March 1931: Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells. 2 April 1931: Maidstone & Ashford seeking Stirling domeless locomotives (illustrated: A172 on 4 April, and A458 in service). Illus.: Maidstone East shed on 4 April with birdcage freight brakevan. Half-day excursion to Doncaster in April: illustrated: small Atlantics 3985, 3950, 3271 (inside cylinders), 0-6-0T 1349 and 0-8-0 2505.
An up stopping passenger train awaiting departure from Thorp Arch East. Cty. J. W. Armstrong Trust. Cover Photo:
Thorp Arch and the Circular Railway. Mike Christensen.
Ministry of Defence aerial photograph of site on 6 December 1946. Timetables for 5 October 1942 and 3 May 1943. See also feature by same author in Archive (22-14) on actual ordnance factories at Thorp Arch. Part 2 Number 66 page 27.
The LNER Camping Coach Scheme. Part 3. Mike Fenton.
The extensive extracts from Graham Vincent's diaries when he was a child on holiday in August 1939 at Arrochar & Tarbet form a very important part of this section . These give an excellent account of the sort of walking holiday experienced by the residents of CC90 which included trips on the Prince Edward on Loch Lomond. This part also includes an extract from Ashington Collieries Magazine of a feature entitiled Wayfaring in Britain - holidays with Kiddies by Raymond which describes a camping holiday aimed at colliery workers. The illustrations include an LNER map dated April 1939 prepared by Georeg Philips which shows locations of camping coaches and apartments (Youth Hostels are also shown). The Vincent photographs include ones of CC90 (an ex-GER first), the station at Arrochar & Tarbet, postcard views of Arrochar and Tarbet piers with steamers at each of them; V1 2901 on which Graham had a footplate ride to Craigendoran. There are alos illustrations of CC42 at Carnaby in 1935 and of a coach at Askrigg on 25 July 1936.
Talywain and its Mineral Lines Past 3. Desmond Coakham
Illustratrations of Partridge Jones & Co. 0-6-0ST Victor; Sharp Stewart 0-4-2ST 2363/1873; Sharp Stewart 0-6-0ST 4632/1900 Blaensarchan; Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST 768/1906 Vulcan on 5 July 1955 and Syr-Dafydd on 31 May 1954.