Carriage & Wagon builders
Christensen, Mike. The Gloucester Wagon Co. Ltd. Part 1.
British Rly J., 1985, 1,
The company was incorporated on 4 February 1860. Isaac Slater was its first General Manager: he had been recruited from the LNWR. Richard Potter was the first Chairman. To encourage business a system of deferred payments was available, but this distorted the company's financial structure. Early contracts included iron work for the TVR and a large order from the West Midlands Railway which forced the company to sub-contract some of the work. A large order was received from the Oral & Eilesk Railway in Russia and this led to the formation of a yard in St Petersburg for final assembly. The firm worked closely with Messrs Eassie & Co which machined most of the timber for the company, but Eassie was acquired by the GWR on 12 October 1875. Slater retired in February 1885, but died on 6 March 1885, by which his son, Alfred, had taken over. The firm went into liquidation and was reformed as the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Co. from 28 August 1888. See also letter from Andrew S. May in Issue 9 page 352 which notes that vehicles shown on page 188 were dining cars supplied to the Western Australian Government Railways in 1905 (the coaches may have still been in their undercoat)..Note Part 2 dealt with signalling equipment.
Visit by North Eastern Centre of Institution of Locomotive Engineers on 27 April 1927 when J.W. Kidd was General Manager and Cheesley was Works Manager (visit just befoore Dudley Docker decimation). J. Instn Loco. Engrs, 1927, 17, 474
R.Y. Pickering & Co.
Metropolitan Amalgamated Railway Carriage & Wagon Co.
Robert Humm. Dudley Docker and the railways. J. Rly Canal Hist. Soc., 2017 (230) 176-86.