Volume 17 (1956)
Number 189 (February 1956)
R.J. Doran. Learning the road: Locomotive causerie No. 187. 29-33.
Same locomotive No. 4095 Harlech Castle gave a very poor run from Newport to Paddington in 1950 and exemplary run in 1954 between Paddington and Swansea on the Pembroke Coast Express.
W.A. Tuplin. How it goes. 34-5.
Rather dreary story to be repeated elsewhere of how 19.10 ex-St Pancras bore him slowly to Nottingham (except when dining) and connected with 21.50 to Chesterfield which, of course in true LMS fashion, missed the onward connection to Sheffield.
H.C. Casserley. A trip to Ireland. Part 2. 36-8.
Based in Cork: journey behind steam on Cork, Bandon and South Coast Railway
G.H. Robin. By rail from Glasgow in 1900. 38-41.
Partly based on Murray's A.B.C. Time table. Prior to final extension of Glasgow Central Station, hence greater emphasis on Bridge Street and prior to opening of Lanarkshire & Ayrshire Railway and Kilbirnie Loop. Some of the underground services were very frequent and many worked on a regular interval system. There was a wide variety of destinations reached from Glasgow Central Low Level. The Caledonian Railway ran fast competitive services to Edinburgh (reached in 65 minutes) and to Ardrossan.
J.B. White. Re-railing 70026 Polar Star. 42-4.
Locomotive involved in Milton, near Didcot, accident on 20 November 1955 recovered using Kelbus equipment
R.S. McNaught. S.W. Johnson an appreciation. 45-8.
Disappointing feature as the writing is not particularly good and the photographs depict locomotives in far from pristine condition
"Dean" on the Taff Vale. H.T. Hobbs
Refutes claim by L.W. Bromley that TVR purchased any Dean Goods 0-6-0 locomotives
Steam in the States. James B. Aird.
Visited USA in 1949 and found "American steam locomotives were exuberant, possessed of healthy appetites, and a great capacity for hard work"
A signalling obsession. H. Brenholz.
"Hurry up" distants on Midland Section; use of splitting distants.
Boiler pressures. E,S. Youldon
Unsatisfactory nature of Caledonian Railway trials of 1897 between 4-4-0 locomotives Nos. 78 (150 psi) and 76 (200 psi): argues that cylinder volume should have been altered as in the comparitive trials between Gresley Pacifics Enterprise and Solario
W.H. Bett. Ticket spotlight. 50-1.
LMS: Stromeferry to Kyle of Lochalsh: passenger ticket isued on 2 August 1955 permitting travel on a specific goods train.
J.I.C. Boyd. Glimpsres of the narrow gauge. 52-3.
Photograph of Devil's Bridge in spring 1904 with Prince of Wales on short train of teak livery coaches.
H.M. Madgwick. London, Brighton & South Coast directors' saloon.
Designed A.H. Banker: vehicle with steel underframe and six-wheel bogies with magnificent finish: seen by author in Lancing carriage works when he was a junior member of LBSCR staff.
Guard on the "Yorkshire Pullman": an appreciation by W.J. Reynolds. 54.
Photograph alongside cab of No. 60022 of Guard H. Gardner of Leeds who joined GNR at Leeds in 1912 and regularly worked on Yorkshire Pullman. Depicted with Driver A.E. Smith and Fireman Ivor Brook.
W.A. Camwell and C.R. Clinker. Around the branch lines. 54-5.
East Boldon and Monkseaton.
Western Region elegance: Castle No. 4087 Cardigan Castle passing Tilehurst with up express from Cheltenham. M.W. Earley. 56
Number 190 (March 1956)
Norman Harvey. Steam and diesel on the L.M. Region: Locomotive causerie
No. 188. 57-61.
Rebuilt Scot No. 46168 The Girl Guide driven by Driver George Hall of Camden on 475 ton Euston to Blackpool with especially good enginemanship on Rugby to Crewe section. Another rebuikt Scot, No. 46167 The Hertfordshire Regiment, regained 8 minutes between Rugby and Watford. Log of Jubilee class No. 45734 Meteor hauling 14 coaches between Northampton and Watford Junction.
H.C. Casserley. A trip to Ireland. Part 3. 61-3.
Travel behind a J15 class 0-6-0 in a gas lit clerestory coach between Cork and Cobh. Also travel on Valencia branch and return to Cahirciveen in unadvertised service
H.C. Towers. The New Zealand Government Railways. 64-7.
Rimutaka Incline and its special Fell type 0-4-2T locomotives
W.J. Reynolds. Potters Bar. 68-71.
Photographs of station in 1896 ("& South Mims") 1898 and 1955 and during reconstruction: includes signal box and bridge over Darkes Lane
Rebuilt 'Merchant Navy' class. 72.
British Railways photographs
W. Jones. More Welsh lines: the Neath and Brecon and
Midland Railways. 73-9
Includes gradient profile and table of Neath & Brecon Railway locomotives: see also letter from M.J. Reade on p. 118..
W.J. Reynolds. The lastest "Britannias'. 79. illus.
Nos. 70045-70054: No. 70050 Firth of Clyde illustrated.
W.A. Camwell and C.R. Clinker. Around the branch lines. 80-1.
South Wales Mineral Railway: stations at Cymmer Corrwg; Glyncorrwg; and North Rhonnda Halt,
J.I.C. Boyd. Glimpsres of the narrow gauge. 81-2
Tralee & Dingle Railway No. 5: photographs with and without skirts (motion casings)
The Standards defended. E.S. Youldon
See letter from J.A. Maxwell (December Issue): Britannia class well received at Cardiff Canton and at Newton Abbot. Class 3 2-6-2T was essentially a Swindon design
Thermal efficiency. P.W.B. Semmens. 83
Data extracted from Rugby Test plant tests and other tests showed thermal efficiency within range 7.6% (WD 2-8-0) to 8.8% (LMS Class 4 2-6-0)
A signalling obsession. W.H. Bett.
Refers back to letter from H. Brenholz: comment on distant signals and information contained within being off/on.
W.A. Camwell. Some shed scenes to remamber. 83-4.
Epping shed with J15 No. 65464 and C12 No. 67363
Number 191 (April 1956)
R.J. Doran. A recent East Coast "Pacific" performance: Locomotive
causerie No. 189. 85-91
Mainly behind A1 class, but alsosome A2/2 and A4 paerformance.
The rebuilt 'Merchant Navy' class locomotive. 91-2.
H.C. Casserley. A trip to Ireland. Part 4. 93-5.
Kenmare branch on market day with J15 No. 105 on a cattle special; Tralee to Limerick on the once daily passenger train and from Limerick Junction to Dublin behind No. 800 Maeve.
Withdrawn. 96. 3 illus.
LMR Nos. 41516 (0F 0-4-0ST), 49410 (G1 0-8-0) and 58427 (Webb 18in. goods)
Down Glasgow to Fort William train near Inverlochy behind B1 No. 61344 and K2/2 No. 61791 Loch Laggan. E.D. Bruton. v
German State Railways. 0-10-0T No. 94851 at Hameln. F. Spencer Yeates. vi
Number 192 (May 1956)
New livery for coaches. iv
Norman Harvey. Great Central and Metropolitan Joint Locomotive causerie
No. 190. 97-102.
Performance logs of high speed runs between Rugby and Aylesbury behind Caprotti B3/2 No. 6166 Earl Haig and B1 No. 61223 and more leisurely progress between Aylesbury and Rickmansworth (pass) behind C4 No. 5265, No. 6166, No. 61223 and A3 No. 60106.
H.C. Casserley. A trip to Ireland. Part 5. 102-6.
Kenmare branch; remains of Listowell & Ballybunion in April 1955; steam locomotives withdrawn from Belfast & County Down Railway in Queens Quay shed; travel behind compound No. 85 Merlin between Dundalk and Portadown
W.A. Camwell. Shed scenes: Exmoth Junction. 106
1 August 1951: photograph by R.K. Evans.
J.F. Riley. The long drag: Contract No. 1 of the Midland Railway from
Settle to Carlisle. 107-11.
Description of the terrain crossed and the construction of the railway between Settle and the summit at Ais Gill as observed by the writer's grandparents: includes Blea Moor tunnel and viaducts at Ribblehead and Dent Head.
T.P. Dalton. Return to Bromsgrove and the Lickey Incline. 111-15.
F. Merton Atkins. Railmotor revival at East Croydon. 115.
M7 No. 30057 with push & pull train from Tunbridge Wells on Sunday 11 September 1955.
W.A. Camwell and C.R. Clinker. Around the branch lines. 116-17.
Yaxham with E4 2-4-0 No. 62787 with 11.12 Dereham to Wymondham on 2 August 1955 an Dunham on same day with D16 No. 62553 on 09.41 King's Lynn to Dereham
Letters to the editor. 117-18.
More Welsh lines. M.J. Reade.
L&YR 0-6-0s did not leave Hereford to Brecon workings until June 1952, being replaced by MR 3F 0-6-0s, and then by Dean Goods and 2251 types.
J.I.C. Boyd. Glimpsres of the narrow gauge.
Journey made on Corris Railway following overnight rail journey to Machynlleth in April when there was a strong smell of flowers from the adjoining woods. Locomotive No. 3 was driven by Humphrey
W.A.C. Smith. The Hamilton (L.N.E.R.) branch. 120-4.
Opened by the North British Railway on 1 April 1878 from Shettlestone to Hamilton with a junction at Uddingston for line to Coatbridge via Bellshill. The lines were originally built by the Glasgow, Bothwell and Coatbridge Railway which used four Dubs 0-6-0Ts, but was taken over by the NBR and was then worked by 4-4-0T, 0-4-4T and 4-4-2T. The LNER added N2 0-6-2T and V3 2-6-2T. The line had been recommended for electrification under the Inglis Report of 1951, but services were cut back to Bothwell in 1952 due to the state of the viaduct over the Clyde.
Number 194 (June 1956)
The end of a branch line. D.A. Peacock. 169.
Track lifting at Wappenham on abandoned Banbury branch
W.J. Reynolds. 60 years of railway photography. Part
SECR E class No. 157 at Battersea; GWR 4-4-0 No. 3354 Bonaventura at Old Oak Common; District Railway 4-4-0T No. 14 at New Cross; Metropolitan Railway B class 4-4-0T No. 51 at Neasden; LNWR 4-6-2T No. 2668 at Euston; LTSR (MR) 4-6-4T No. 2100 at St Albans; GNR 0-6-0 No. 644 (Doncaster 1879); GNR Stirling 0-4-2 No. 10A; GNR 0-6-0 No. 1332; GNR Long Tom 0-8-0 No. 417. LB&SCR 0-4-2T Stroudley D tanks. No. 27 Uckfield, built at Brighton in April, 1876 photographed at Tunbridge Wells; GNR 2-2-2 Stirling Single No. 92 at Hitchin. (Designed by Patrick Stirling and built at Doncaster in 1870. The previous 12 engines of 2-2-2 wheel arrangement had only 7ft. driving wheels and were generally smaller (see No. 61 below). No. 92 incorporated the driving wheels of the famous old Sturrock 4-2-2 No. 215 built 1853. The story is that these wheels 7 ft. 7 in. diameter were found to be in such good condition that the dimensions of the last 7 ft. 2-2-2 were modified to use the larger driving wheels. The photo was /taken in 1898 and she became No. 92A in 1901 when the Ivatt 4-2-2 Single was built.); LNWR 2-4-2T No. 427 designed by F.W. Webb in 1890. Photographed at Watford in 1902 (one of the Precursor Tanks so called owing to the early examples being rebuilds from Webb Precursor 2-4-0 Tender Engine with 5 ft. 8½in. coupled wheels. 43 were taken over by British Rys. and the last of ·the class No. 46604 was withdrawn in 1955); No. 1332 GNR large boilered 4-4-0 built at Doncaster in 1898; GNR 2-2-2 single wheel express engine No. 61. Built at Doncaster in 1869 and rebuilt by H.A. Ivatt. Photographed at Hitchin with domed boiler while employed on Cambridge expresses; GWR 4-6-0 No. 2900 William Dean originally No. 100 4-6-0 designed by Wm. Dean it was the first 4-6-0 express engine built at Swindon in 1902. Note the cylinders are different from all other 4-6-0s. Photo at Old Oak Common in 1928; LB&SCR Terrier 0-6-0T No. 42 Tulse Hill was built at Brighton in 1877. This engine with No. 81 Beulah worked the Kemptown branch regularly with two sets of drivers and firemen was renumbered No. 642 in 1902 in which year· the photo was taken at Kemptown showing one of the regular engine crews; GER 4·4·0 (Belpaire Claud). as originally built No. 1813 was built at Stratford in 1910. The photo shows her in the grey livery lined out in white in which she ran for over: a year. No. 1813 was involved in the serious collision at Ilford on New Year's Day in 1915 when working the Breakfast Car train from Clacton to Liverpool Street. No. 1813 cut through a local, turned over and fell over into the Yard of the IIford Paper Mills; the crash resulted in 10 fatalities. No. 181: was rebuilt in 1915 and received a superheater. In 1926 she was converted to a super Claud and was the first to be fitted wirth large extended smoke box (5 ft. 10 in. diameter); GER 0-6-0T No. 21 built at Stratford in 1913. The class was named the Jubilee Tanks as introduced in 1887, the Jubilee year of Queen' Victoria. No. 21 was one of the last batch and incorporated the large side window cab and copper capped chimney. NLR. 4-4-0T No. 113 originally 51 class designed by W. Adams. As No. 16 she was built at Bow Works in 1868 and renumbered No. 113 was generally on the Poplar line, although remember seeing her: at Potters Bar on occasions. The photo was taken at Bow Works in 1908; GWR 4-4-0 (Badminton Class) built Swindon in 1897. The Badmintons were the forerunners of the more famous Atbara class. Photo shows No. 411 Blenheim in 1913; very incorrect caption: GNR 4-2-2 No. 1 Stirling Single; Highland Ry. 4-4-0 Express Passenger Engine No. 2 Ben Alder photographed in 1911; Caledonian Ry. 4-4-0 engine for Callander and Oban Section. No. 182 was designed by George Brittain and built by Dubs & Co., in 1882. Rebuilt in 1900. This class acquired Mclntosh chimneys and boilers but retained the original cab and tender. No. 182 was renumbered No. 1182 in 1913. These unique engines lasted till the late 1920s acquiring the huge LMS numerals. No. 14100 which filled the small 4-wheeled tenders. photograph shows No. 1182 in, 1911 at Polmadie; Nonth Eastern Ry. 4-6·0 Express Engine No. 2003 built at Gateshead in 1899. This class was notable as being the first 4-6-0 Express Engine built in this country designed by Wilson Worsdell and known as class S. No. 2003 and her sisters 2001 and 2002 had a very meagre cab judged by N.E.R. standards with only one side window. The reason for this was that at that period the 50 ft. turntable was in general use and the wheelbase of these otherwise fine engines was restricted. However, a further engine built at the end of 1899 had the usual N.E. cab with two side windows and larger tender and Nos. 2001, 2002 and 2003 were soon converted to the later pattern. My 1911 photo shows No. 2003 in her converted form and in keeping with all the N. E. R. engines was resplendent in the lovely green with brass fittings including the chimney cap and safety valve cover. No. 2003 was scrapped in 1931; Lancashire & Yorkshire Ry. 4-4-2 Express Engine with Inside Cylinders designed by Sir John Aspinal. 40 were built at Horwich between 1899 and 1902. They had 7 ft. 3 in. driving wheels and 19 in. by 26 in. cylinders. Although generally known as Atlantics they had their 2 cylinders between the frames. They had an outstanding appearance with their high pitched boiler and large coupled wheels 7 ft. 3 in. in diameter. They were speedy engines and were predominant on the popular Blackpool Club Trains. Their black livery with brass beading was attractive and they were kept in spotless condition. Photo of No. 708 was taken at York; Midland Ry. 0-6-0 Standard Goods No. 2270 of a class designed by S. W. Johnson and built in 1878 with 5 ft. 3in. driving wheels and 18 in. by 26 in. cylinders now rated class 2F and renumbered in 30 XX under the Midland renumbering of 1907. The photo taken about 1902 shows the engine in its original Midland livery. North British Ry. 4-4-0 Express Engine No. 218 designed by Matthew Holmes and built at Cowlairs in 1891 was one of 633 class with 6 ft. 6 in. driving wheels. This class was engaged in hauling the Racing Trains in the 1895 Racing with the West Coast. Glasgow & South Western Ry. 4-6-0 Express Passenger Engine No. 386, one of ten designed by James Manson and built by North British Locomotive Co., in 1903. They were very handsome engines in their blue-green paint and did excellent service on the main line to Carlisle for 20 years. Seven further engines making 17 in all were built at Kilmarnock in 1910-11. All were withdrawn between 1928·33. Photo at Carlisle in 1911. North Eastern Ry, 4-4-0 Express Engine No. 1877 class Q built at Gateshead in 1896 and designed by Wilson Worsdell a class of outstanding beauty and with the large coupled driving wheels 7 ft. 1 in. and 19½ in. by 26 in. cylinders were powerful machines. It is interesting to recall that two of the Q class had been built with enlarged dimensions. Nos 1869 and 1870 had 20 in. by 26 in. cylinders and coupled wheels of no less than 7 ft 7 in. diameter, the largest in the country. They were intended for use on the expected revival of Racing Trains in 1896, which however did not materialise but they tackled the new vestibuled Flyng Scot of 250 tons with success. The photo in 1911 of 1877 captures some of the beauty of these handsome engines; Lancashire & Yorkshire Ry. 4-4-0 Express Engine No. 498 one of a class built at Horwich between 1891-1894 designed by Sir John Aspinal a class remarkab le for their 7 ft. 3in. coupled wheels. They were very successful on the lighter high speed trains during this period (till 1914). Photo at York in 1911. Midland Ry. 2-4-0 Express Engine No. 15 designed by M. Kirtley and built at Derby in 1867 with 6 ft. 2½ in. driving wheels and 16½ in. by 22 in. cylinders. 22 engines were rebuilt by S. W. Johnson between 1895 and 1899 with 18 in. by 24 in. cylinders and were later renumbered Nos. 1·22. The original engines of 1867 were in.troduced for working the London Extension to St. Pancras when opened in 1868.
H.C. Casserley. A trip to Ireland. Part 7.
The Sligo, Leitrim & Norther Counties Railway: entertained at Manorhamilton by the Locomotive Superintendent G.F. Egan. Illustrations Lough Erne and Lissadell at Manorhamilton; Lough Melvin at Florencecourt.
K.F. Brown. Electric and diesel locomotives (some basic principles).
Limits to power available for traction including problems of adhesion.
C.H. John. Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway. 183-7.
All the locomotive types are described. Illustrations include one of third cylinder on Hurricane and one of cab on No. 7 Typhoon.
H.C.P. Smail. The L.B.&S.C.R. West Coast Line. Part 1. 187-91.
Includes telescopic opening bridge across the Arun river at Ford.
"Fishbowl" wagons on B.R. 191.
Wagons with transparent sides to enable contents to be viewed to establish how they respond to transit.
J.I.C. Boyd. Glimpses of the narrow gauge. 192-3.
Progress on the Talyllyn Railway
W.A. Tuplin. How it went! A revised version of "how it runs". 193-4.
J.R.S. Ellis. How to make a branch line pay. 194-5.
Number 195 (August 1956)
R.J. Doran. The Western way. Locomotive Causerie No. 192. 197-202.
Footplate observations of Paddington to Exeter run on 09.30 from Paddington with double chimney No. 6010 King Charles I with Driver R.R. Giles and Fireman J.H. Parsons, An out and back run with double chimney No. 6015 King Richard III regained lost time on the outward journey, but the return was marred due to the King having to be replaced by a Hall as the train was diverted via Oxford. Also record of run by Castle No. 5076 Gladiator on 13.15 Paddington to Bath run in 57 minutes 43 seconds with ten coach train.
W.J. Reynolds. 60 years of railway photography. Part
No. 5000 Coronation at Euston in 1911; Precursor No. 806 Swiftsure at Camden in 1906; Prince of Wales No. 1400 Felicia Hemans at Camden in 1914; Experiment No. 507 Samatian at Euston in 1909; Jumbo No. 790 Hardwicke with No. 6118 Royal Welsh Regiment at Crewe Works in 1929; 2-4-0T No. 2248 at Watford in 1911; 4-4-2T No. 1983at Watford in 1911; 2-4-0 No. 1513 Shakespeare; 2-2-2 No. 1429 Alfred Paget; 4ft 6in 2-4-2T No. 1446 at Willesden; Cauliflower No. 559 at Willesden; C1 0-8-0 No. 1850; 2-2-2 No. 1302 Oceanic; 0-6-0ST Special Tank No. 3093; 0-6-2T No. 3705; 2-8-0 4-cylinder compound No. 1222; G1 0-8-0 No. 9371; GNR 4-2-2 No. 1.
Gwynne Richards. The Festiniog Railway Company: progress at Portmadoc.
Opened to Minffordd on 19 May 1956
H.C. Casserley. A trip to Ireland. Part 8.
Cavan & Leitrim: Dromod to Ballinamore behind an ex-Cork, Blackrock & Passage 2-4-2T; a trip up the Agrina branch behind Tralee & Dingle 2-6-0T in a Cavan & Leitrim clerestory coach plus a string of coal wagons. Then a trip on Sligo Mail and on to the disappointing Westport line, but happier note on Irish Sugar Beet factory at Tuam where thre were Orensteain & Koppel narrow gauge tank engines.
C.J. Middleton. The centenary of the Loughton branch. 213-16.
Opened by the Eastern Counties Railway from Stratford on 1 September 1856 with most services running to and from Fenchurch Street. Line was extended to Epping and Ongar in April 1865. Most services ran into Liverpool Street once opened in 1874. London Transport took over services as part of the Central Line extensions to Leytonstone in May 1947; Loughton in November 1948 and eventually to Epping. Steam freight and steam excursions continued at the time this was written.
Letters to the Editor. 216
Alexandra Docks Railway. E.R. Mountford
Referring to the excellent article on the Alexandra (N. & S. Wales) Docks and Railway by Mr. W. Jones in the June issue, a few of the locomotive notes are worth further discussion.
The origin of one of the dock tanks, Alexandra, is at present the subject of investigation by readers of the Railway Observer. For many years it was accepted that this engine was Hawthorn Leslie No. 2009 of 1884, but recently it was proved beyond doubt that H.L. 2009 was another dockside shunter belonging to the Tredegar Estate Railway (also at Newport) and had no connection with the A.D. Railway. I was recently privileged to study the records at Swindon (by kind courtesy of Mr. R. A. Smeddle, Chief Mechanical and Electrical Engineer, Western Region) and the list of engines handed over to the G.W.R. by the A.D. Railway states that both Trojan and Alexandra were purchased lrom a firm called Dunn and Shute in 1903, one price covering the double sale. The makers of Alexandra were marked as "not known," Trojan was shown as Avonside Eng , Co. of 1897, the maker's No. is generally accepted as 1386.
Several slight differences appear in the A.D. list of details, to those given by Mr. Jones in his "Table of Dimensions" but these hardly warrant individual attention, as both cylinder and wheel diameters can vary over the years.
A few errors have crept into the withdrawal dates in the following table:-
No. 6 was condemned May, 1932,
No. 19 in December, 1948, and
No. 21 in October, 1926.
To complete withdrawal details Trojan was condemned July, 1932 and Alexandra July, 1946.
Of the engines sold by the G.W.R. to the A.D. Railway, Nos. 1679 and 1683 (November, 1906) and the 0-4-2T No. 1426 (February, 1911) were sold direct, whereas the other two, No. 1356 (November, 1911) and No. 993 (January, 1913) reached the A.D. via the Bute Works Supply Co.
One item of engine interest was that A.D. No. 7 (GW 1208) was the first absorbed engine to reach Swindon Factory after the upheavals of 1922. However, as it reached Swindon on the 2 March that year, some three weeks before the actual take-over date, it is possible that this was a pre-amalgamation arrangement. It may not be generally known that there used to be, at Caerphilly. a separate platform, on the Up side, for the P.C. &N. trains. This could almost be classed an extension of the present platform, as only the road bridge separated the two platforms. However. they were separate platforms, with separate entrances. Perhaps some reader may know the date this extra platform at Caerphilly was removed.
"Railway Titles.". V. Boyd-Carpenter
May I correct the assumption laid down by Mr. Casserley that there are so few undertakings in the railway world with the word " Railway" in their title now? There are quite a lot left-as evidenced by the list below. The I.o.M. does not take pride of place with length, as the Fishguard and Rosslare Railways & Harbours, Ltd. have approximately 103 miles of track:- S.L. & N.C. Railway, Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway, City of Dublin Junction Railway, Festiniog Railway, 'Talyllyn Railway, Liverpool Overhead Railway, Eskdale Railway, Fishguard & Rosslare Railways and Harbours, Southend Pier Railway. Snowdon Mountain Railway. Port of London Authority Railways, Wilson's & the North Eastern Railway Shipping Co. Ltd., Romney, Hythe and Dyrnchurch Railway, Grimsby and Immingham Electric Railway, The Post Office Tube Railway, Salisbury Railway and Market House Co., Barrington Light Railway Co., Derwent Valley Light Railway, Mersey Railway Co., Nottingham Colwick Estates Light Railway Co., South Shields, Marsden and Whitburn Colliery Railways. (N.C.B. now), Trafford Park Estates Railways.
H.C.P. Smail. The L.B. & S.C. R. West Coast line. Part 2.
Act of 23 July 1860 authorised 23 July 1860 a branch line from Ford to Littlehampton which opened on 17 August 1863. A new drawbridge at Ford was designed by R. Jacomb-Hood and built by Henry Grisell of the Regent's Canal Ironworks. Briefly railway steamer services were run from Littlehampton to Dieppe, but Newhaven became the centre of this activity. Illustrations: Arundel station in 1870; Craven 0-6-0 No. 168 at Littlehampton; Craven 0-4-2ST No. 358 Bognor; Terrier No. 65 Tooting at Littlehampton; engine shed at Bognor in 1903; Terrier No. 77 Wonersh at Barnham Junction
W.A. Camwell. Around the branch lines. 220-4.
Reedham: notes by C.R. Clinker
Photographs taken 31 July 1955: D16 No. 62577 on 13.25 Yarmouth Vauxhall to Norwich Thorpe: F6 No. 67226 on 13.15 Norwich Thorpe to Lowestoft with portion for Yarmouth Vauxhall.
Birr: notes by G.D. Mahon
Photograph taken 16 May 1952: J15 No. 232 on 08.50 Birr to Roscrea. Line opened on 8 March 1858 as Roscrea & Parsonstown Railway: the engineer was W.R. Fanu.
Langston Harbour bridge: notes by C.R. Clinker.
Photograph taken 3 August 1952 with Terrier hauling 15.35 Havant to Hayling Island.
Last of the Lickey banker. 224. illus.
0-10-0 No. 58100
Number 196 (September 1956)
Norman Harvey. On and off the footplate mainly 4-6-0s: Locomotive
Causerie No. 193. 225-30
Footplate observations: Driver Albert Young of Camden with Inspector Drury on rebuilt Patriot No. 45514 Holyhead with 10.50 for Blackpool; a 460 ton train stopping at Watford Junction, Bletchley, Rugby, Nuneaton and Stafford (where recorder left) ; and retun on 16.05 ex-Wolverhamptopn on No. 45734 Meteor which was routed via Northampton. Also summary of Standard Class 5 performance on Southern Region Eastern Section.
Norman Harvey. Stephenson runs to Brighton again. 230
N15X No. 32329 Stephenson ran from Victoria to Brighton in sixty minutes. on a Stephenson Locomotive Society excursion.
W.J. Reynolds. 60 years of railway photography. Part
4. 231-7. including Some lesser know GNR types.
GNR small Atlantic No. 984 at York; large Atlantic No. 290; Marsh H2 No. 422 (in LBSCR livery); NBR Atlantic No. 880 Tweeddale; GCR Atlantic No. 192; NER Atlanic as LNER No. 2168; Marsh H2 No. 423 The Needles (Southern Railway); NER V Class No. 742 in original state; V1 Class No. 1680 (LNER); Marsh H1 No. 39 Hartland Point; Caledonian Ry. 4·4-0 No. 767 an enlarged Dunalastair II; G.N.R. 4-4-0 No. 1395 in 1912; S.E. & C.R. No. 19 4·4·0 Class E at Battersea in 1913; G.N.R. 4·2-2 No. 266 designed by H.A. Ivatt and built in 1898;. the prototype of the last single express type for the G.N.R. with considerable differences from the eleven subsequent engines built in 1900 which had deeper frames and larger cylinders (19 in. against 18 in), No. 266 also had the Stirling type chimney. (photo taken in 1906). GWR. 4·4·0 No. 3814 County of Chester was one of the earlier straight framed examples. Photo at Old Oak Common in 1913 shows engine with the then new standard GWR chimney and top feed; N.E.R. 4·4·0 No. 2107 (Class R) built at Gateshead in 1901 was designed by Wilson Worsdell in 1899. The pheto shows the original style of the class as built and was taken in 1903. GER 4·4·0 (Claud Hamilton) No. 1894 photo shows her in original form as built with the oil tender and was taken in 1904. GNR 4·4·0 with large boiler. No. 1321 was the first so constructed at Doncaster in 1898 (had the large Stirling built-up type chimney) photo taken in 1898. GWR. 2-8-0 No. 2859 photo taken in 1919 at Southall shows top feed and large copper capped chimney; Caledonian Ry. 4-6-0 Express Engine No. 50 Sir James Thompson, photo at Carlisle in 1911; GNR. original Atlantic No. 990 Henry Oakley.photo at King's Cross prior to the trip to Doncaster, 20 September, 1953. 0-4-4T No. 942 (Nos. 941-4): series built with shorter side tanks to work Victoria to King's Cross service; 0-4-2 No. 12 and 520: 0-6-0ST No. 611. GER Claud Hamilton 4-4-0 No. 1831 in special blue finish in 1908 (No. 1830 had been painted black as an economy measure)
C.R.L. Coles. Continental journey. Part 2.
Through Italy to Milan and Florence; onward to Rome by coach; thence to Venice by train and return through Switzerland and France: 26 hours to Calais. Photographs of Franco-Crosti streamlined 2-6-2 No. 972 at Venice on 15 September 1955; 2-6-2 685 Class No. 546 approaching Venice on an express and Series 745 2-8-0 approaching Venice.
T.R. Dalton. Central Wales motive power (1921-1955).
Gradual displacement of Cambrian Railways locomotives by GWR types (Dukes, Earls (90XX)), Manors, 2251 0-6-0s and by British Railways Class 4 4-6-0. See also lengthy response from W. Jones and another Jones on page 337.
Two oldest Tube cars retire. 245-6.
Two of the original gate stock built in France for the Great Northern Piccadilly & Brompton Railway and modified to form two-car sets for the Aldwych branch
R.S. McNaught. A curioius sidelong collision. 246-7.
B12/3 No. 61545 collided with buffet car of Birminggham to Yarmouth train it was due to takeover at Spalding and train went forward minus buffet car behind a Class 4 2-6-0.
H.C.P. Smail. The L.B.&S.C.R. West Coast Line. 248-52.
Littlehampton branch and abandoned line between Lyminster and Ford.
New British Railways emblem. 252,
Number 197 (October 1956)
Norman Harvey. Summertime on the Southern: Locomotive Causerie No.
Detailed log of footplate journey with Driver Sam Gingell from Birchington to Bromley South on standard class 5 No. 73083 on 9 July 1956, 82 mile/h was attained at Farningham Road. A down journey on the 17.45 Cannon Street to Ramsgate on light Pacific No. 34096 219 Squadron is also described. Merchant Navy class performance beween Waterloo and Exeter and return is outlined.
"Bluebell Line" reopens. 258-61.
Following a legal challenge the line reopened with a two hourly passenger service and some stations remained closed.
Diesel railicar developments. 262-3.
Single units as employed on Buckingham branch and Inter City units for Edinburgh to Glasgow service.
H.C. Casserley. A trip to Ireland. Part IX. 264-8.
Branch line to Foynes when passengers reluctantly carried on freight service; Harcourt Street terminus with 2-4-0 No. 665 on turntable; and Hill of Howth tram in the wet. Inchicore shed photographed with many locomotives on shed on Sunday 24 April 1955.
A. Rimmer. The Melbourne Military Railway. 268-9.
Created from former LMS/Midland Railway branch line as training railway for Royal Engineers during WW2: main engineering feature was bridge over River Trent
G.H. Robin. Avoiding Glasgow terminii. 271-4.
Mainly the two underground lines; also City of Glasgow Union Railway and other lines which avoided city terminii.
W.A. Camwell and C.R. Clinker. Around the branch lines. Buxton branch.
The LNWR branch from Stockport. Photographs taken on 19 July 1955 at Disley with Crab No. 42923 on 10.30 ex-Manchester London Road; Chapel en le Frith South with Fowler 2-6-4T No. 42366 on 09.00 ex-Manchester London Road; and Crab No. 42935 at Doveholes on 10.20 ex-Buxton
Number 198 (November 1956)
R.J. Doran. Freight number 1239. 281-6.
Class H freight: New England to Ferme Park. Footplate trip on 9F No. 92031 with Driver J. Bean, Fireman B. Sargeant and Inspector Buxton. Switched to Hertford Loop
H.C. Casserley. A trip to Ireland. Part X. 287-90.
Concluding part: return to Rosslare from Dublin: in a fortnight they had covered over 2000 miles, 90% of which was on steam trains.
[Letters] to the Editor. 290-1
Railway Titles. V. Boyd Carpenter.
May I be permitted to comment upon the points raised by Sewell in the October issue?
1. The Grimsby and Immingham Electric Railway is the correct title. It is so called locally and it is so printed in the LNER timetables, Winter service, Eastern Area, Table 74, page 286. A feature of Table 74 is the fact that this title is printed in bold letters on the top thereof, which is the only table in the book to have the name of the service so printed. Furthermore, only a day or so ago I was informed by the official in. charge of the district for commercial purposes that the railway has always been so called since built and that it is so today officially.
2. Mersey Railway. That this line lost its separate identity legally in 1948 may be so, but the undertaking is still called the Mersey Railway, the name still appears at the stations, in guide-books, etc., and everyone in the district served by the line uses that appellation and will continue to do so, no matter what B.T.C. or anyone else thinks, does or decrees.
3. City of Dublin Junction Railway. The title is still officially used, hence the reason for its inclusion in my list.
4. Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway. It is immaterial whether the concern operates trains or not, it is still in existence, the word "Railway" is in its title. The purpose of my original letter was to correct Mr. Cassertey's statement. To be factual,part of the Lough Swilly is still in daily use.
L.N.W.R. livery. W. Beckerlegge.
I am much interested in Bardsley's letter re painting of LNWR locomotives (October R.W.). When I noticed that after a few months the renumbering of engines going through works was ceasing, and consequently the red livery also, I wrote to Crewe and was informed that the cause was "for purely domestic reasons." In fact one or two engines which went into the paint shop with smokebox numberplates had them removed and the original number reinstated before leaving for traffic. Also, I understood at the time that there was a shortage of tenders, and as the new livery included the engine number being transferred to the tender, this necessitated some slowing down. Then, when several standard compounds were working on the main line with numbers in the 1100s, L.N.W. engines with such numbers had their numberplates quickly removed and their new numbers painted on where the plates had been (a reversion to the Ramsbottom style!) and the practice was then extended to other ranges of numbering.
At least one tender, attached to a Prince, had four slots on each side of the tank to enable the correct engine number to be carried at times when it was attached to a fresh engine: this bears out the fact that there may not have been enough tenders for all the engines (an economy if a large percentage of engines were laid off at times).
In addition to 5012 John Ramsbottom, red in 12/23, were 5050 Merrie Carlisle (10/23) and 5036 Novelty (1/24). In 3/24, Penrith Beacon came out as 5069, but may have been black unlined; others renumbered in the same month, 5039 Corunna, 5080 Waterloo and 5108 Wyre were certainly black. The next Jumbos to be renumbered were 1168 to 5102 (2/26), 1170 to 5002 (3/26) and 628 to 5095 (4/26).
Other renumbered engines apart from Claughtons were 5273 Jason, 5275 Tiger, 5284 Ambassador, 5296 Dreadnought, 5309 Fame, 5329 Queen Mary, 5365 Racehorse, 5393 Loyalty, 5394 Phaeton, 5403 Leamington Spa, 5404 Colwyn Bay, 5377 Grouse: as these were done by 3/24, they were most likely red.
Although not officially reported as renumbered 5458 until 8/27, this engine (City of Edinburgh) was repainted red at some unrecorded date. Several Princes were also painted red in 1923/4.
A few tank engines received the red livery, of which I think the following are correct: 6444 (ex 2804, N.L.5), 6462 (N.L. 68), 6621(?), 6637, 6644, 6692, 6693(?), 6729, 6756, 6799(?), 6801(?), 6806, 6809, 6819(?), 6824(?), 6918, 6951, 6956(?), 6963, 6975, 6986, 6993, 7943 to 7947(?).
Hardwicke was not renumbered 5031 till May, 1928, and was never in red livery.
Mistaken identity. Pat Dalton. 291
On page 243, September, 1956, issue of the Railway World there appears a plate illustrating a Cambrian 4-4-0 locomotive. Unfortunately this plate was submitted in error, the locomotive being an ex-Midland and South Western Junction No. 2, GWR No. 1120. It is, however, interesting to note that this locomotive does bear certain similarities to a late Cambrian 4-4-0, such as No. 82, destroyed in the Abermule disaster. The plate herewith shows an earlier Cambrian 4-4-0 locomotive, constructed by Sharp Stewart, probably in 1878. Illustration: Cambrian 4·4·0 locomotive constructed by Sharp Stewart.
Melhourne Military Railway. Allan Batt.
In Mr. Rimmer's most interesting article on the Melbourne Military Railway in the October issue of Railway World, the statement about military railway bridging is not quite correct. There was a complete railway bridging school at King's Newton which, in addition to training, did most of the experimental work on military railway bridging before the invasion of Europe in 1944. The bridges were served by temporary tracks from the MMR to bring materials to the site from the neighbouring transportation stores depot. There was no civilian passenger traffic over the railway, but goods traffic was handled by civilian station staff. At least during 1943 and 1944, special leave trains ran on Saturday and Sunday evenings from Chellaston Quarry to Derby. They were worked by MMR engines, stock and staff'. I have a conventional printed ticket lettered L.M.S.R. Chellaston East Junction (Melbourne Military Railway) to Derby and back.
60 Years of Railway Photography. G.G. Templer.
In the interests of historical accuracy. may I point out two errors in Mr. Reynold's article in the September issue of Railway World? Firstly, the caption to .E.R. No. 742 on p. 233 refers to the two engines Nos. 730 and 731 as three-cylinder compounds; actually they were four-cylinder compounds on Smith's system. (See Ahrons, The British Steam Locomotive, pp. 326, 327). At the bottom of p. 231 Mr. Reynolds is not quite right about the GWR. Atlantics. Actually, only one engine, No. 171 Albion was designed and built as a 4-6-0 and suffered the double conversion to 4-4-2 and back again to 4-6-0, in 1904 and 1907 respectively. In 1905 nineteen further engines were built, six as 4-6-0s and thirteen as Atlantics with frames arranged so as to be readily convertible to 4-6-0 if necessary, a conversion which was effected in 1912. But the point is that the thirteen were designed and built new as Atlantics and only suffered the single conversion to 4-6-0. From the years 1905 to 1907a short period I admitthe GWR possessed the by no means insignificant quota of eighteen " Atlantics," viz., the fourteen engines mentioned, the four-cylinder engine No. 40, and the three de Glehn compounds already dealt with by Mr. Reynolds, and I should think that this total would, at that period be exceeded only on the G.N.R. and G.C.R. Readers desiring further information on the somewhat involved story of rhe G.W.R. 2-cylinder 4-6-0s and Atlantics will find this fully dealt with in Part 8 of the Locomotives of the G.W.R.', published by the Railway Correspondence and Travel Society.
Birchington to Bromley. W.A. Tuplin
The figures given on p. 257 in Mr. Norman Harvey's article are interesting and it seems that if both the boiler pressure gauge and the safety valves on No. 73083 were working properly, the engine never blew off on this time-gaining run with hard going and frequent stops.
This is the most important appraisal of the enginemen's work as it is the hall-mark of a crew with knowledge, skill, confidence and care.
W.J. Reynolds. 60 years of railway photography. Part
S.E.C.R. 4-4-0 No. 175, with domeless boiler, at Bricklayers Arms in 1907; L&YR 4-6-0 No, 1511 at York; L&YR 2-4-2T No. 84 at York; HR Jones Goods 4-6-0 No. 112 at Inverness in 1912; HR 0-6-0T No. 22 at Inverness; CR 4-2-2 No. 123 (with Drummond boiler); G&SWR 4-4-0 No. 341 at Glasgow St. Enoch; LB&SCR. 4·4·0 (Class B4) No. 45 Bessborough built at Brighton Works in 1901, was notable for being the only L.B.S.C. engine to have the Drummond water-tube boiler. These tubes were removed in 1911 photographed in 1904; LB&SCR 0·4·2 No. 304 Nice at Eastbourne with an old Craven tender Class D2. built in 1877 at Brighton; LB&SCR 0·6·0T No. 81 Beulah at Kemp Town; LB&SCR 4·4·0 (Class B.4) No. 70 painted in the Marsh livery ot umber brown as shown in the photo taken in 1909; LB&SCR 0·4·2 No. 212 Hartington was Class D3. photo at Eastbourne; LB&SCR 0·4·2 No. 215 Salisbury. Midland Railway 2·4·0 No. 227 at Kentish Town in 1908; Special Trip over Kemptown branch on 23 June, 1956. Ex LB&SCR. Terrier Brighton Works (Stroudley livery); Midland Ry. 4-2-2 with 7 ft. 6 in. driving wheels No. 643; G.C.R. 4-4-0 Director class No. 506 Butler-Henderson; LSWR No. 162 0·6·0 302 class (designed, by W .C. Beattie and built by Beyer, Peacock & Co. in 1874),. engine is shown as rebuilt by Adams but with Drummond chimney. Photo at Strawberry H ill in 1912; LB&SCR No. 541 0·6·0 Vulcan Goods as rebuilt by D. Earl. Marsh in 1908 and classed C2X with 5 ft. boiler and extended smoke-box; LB&SCR No. 430 Stroudley C Class Goods 0·6·0 built at Brighton in 1887 (one of a class of 12 known as Jumbos. They were very powerful and did a large amount of passenger work but ware painted in the dark green goods Iivery. No. 430 outlasted by many years the rest of the class and was in the service until after the formanon of the Southern group. She was never rebuilt but acquired a Marsh chimney in 1919. No. 430 made history in December, 1914, by worktng a troop train from Brighton to Doncaster (over 200 miles) via Snow Hill, Farringdon Street and King's Cross on to the GNR. main line. She was scrapped in 1924 after 37 years service); Midland Ry. S.W. Johnson 4-4-0 built in 1901 as No. 2595 renumbered No. 553 in 1907 and rebuilt by Henry Fowler to standard and superheated in 1913: photo at Kentish Town in 1914; NER 4-4-0 Q Class No. 1875 at York in 1911; GER 4-4-0 Claud Hamilton No. 1843 (one of the 1906 batch of Belpaires). photograph taken at Lowestoft shows her in original form but wartime livery; LB&SCR 0-6-0 Class C3 No·. 302 one of the class painted in the Marsh umber brown livery. LSWR 4-2-2-0 4-cylinder double single No. 373 was one of a class of 6 engines built at Nine Elms
J. Spencer Gilks. To Westerham via Oxted. 298-300.
Proposed railways from Oxted to Westerham from 1863/4 until 1884, but all thwarted by agreements not to compete by the adjacent companies
"Castles" in the air. W.A. Camwell. 300.
Two Castle class locomotives testing Severn Bridge.
R.S. McNaught. Smoke and steam. 301-5.
Carlisle, painted in Furness Railway red, of the Bishop's Castle Railway encountered at Craven Arms blowing a smoke ring; observations of traffic on the Chester & Holyhead main line made with field glasses from the Heswall Hills in the Wirral across the Dee. Even at that distance the combination of the odd exhaust and the sound eenabled Webb compounds to be identified
W.A. Camwell. Dursley branch centenary. 306.
W.J. Reynolds. Restoration of L.T.&S.R. No. 80 Thundersley. 307
Number 299 (December 1956)
Norman Harvey. The fascination of the London Midland.
Locomotive Causerie No. 196. 309-13+
Refers to the intensive use of Nos. 46256 and 46257 in 1948 when they ran 600 miles per day on a six day/week basis. Noted that the rebuilt Scots based at Holyhead were achieving 530 miles per day on workings through to Euston. Table of Euston to Rugby performanc behind Jubilee No. 45737 Atlas, rebuilt Patriot No. 45514 Holyhead and No. 46243 City of Lancaster
Closing of Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway. 314.
From 5 November 1956. Stephenson Locomotive Society special on 3 November hauled by The Earl.
J.I.C. Boyd. Donegal revisited. 315-20.
Travel in part behind steam.
W. Jones. The Burry Port & Gwendraeth Valley and Llanelly &
Mynydd Mawr Railways: more Welsh lines. 320-5.
Tables of locomotive stocks which included builders, works numbers and dates.
W.J. Reynolds. 60 years of railway photography. Part
Claughton No, 1161 Sir Robert Turnbull; LNWR 4-6-2T No. 1006; LSWR 4-cylinder 4-6-0 No. 458; H15 No. 487; LNWR 0-8-0 with Belpaire superheated boiler No. 2551; 19-inch goods 4-6-0 No. 2188 on passenger train at Abergavenny; GER 4-6-0 No. 1514 at Stratford in 1912; SECR 4-4-0 No. 475 (originally LCDR M3 class); GNR Ivatt superheated 4-4-0 No. 61; Claughton No. 208 equipped for oil burning; 0-8-2T No. 1515; rebuilt Webb 4-cylinder compound 4-4-0 No. 1980 Neptune; Claughton No. 1407 L/Corp J.A. Christie; George V 4-4-0 No. 2242 Meteor; Prince of Wales No. 940 Ricahrd Cobden; Class 3 4-4-0 No. 717; Stirling 0-4-2WT as rebuilt Ivatt No. 116 at Hatfield in 1906; Midland Railway 0-6-0T No. 1618; 0-6-4T No. 2029 in original condition; LBSCR E6 0-6-2T No. 411; LSWR M7 with superheater and extended smokebox No. 126; Stirling GNR 0-4-4T No. 829; LMS former MR 0-4-4T No. 1381; LMS Kirtley 0-4-WT No. 1200; LBSCR 0-6-0T No. 103; LSWR M7 No. 26; GER Decapod 0-10-0T and GNR 4-cylinder Atlantic No. 271.
W.A. Camwell and C.R. Clinker. Around the branch lines. 333-6
Romiley with 2P 4-4-0 No. 40556 on 10.50 Manchester Central to Chinley on 14 July 1955; Strines with 4-4-2T No. 67443 on 14.18 Manchester Central to Hayfield on 14 July 1955; 4-4-2T No. 67421 on push & pull set at Park Bridge on Oldham Ashton & Guide Bridge Joint Railway on 14 July 1955; 11.31 hahled by No. 42463 Stockport to Stalybridge at Ashton Park Parade on 19 July 1955; No. 3778 with auto coach at Windmill End with 18.24 Dudley to Old Hill on 30 June 1955 and No. 41902 on 18.48 Walsall to Dudley at Great Bridge on same day.
To the Editor. 337
Central Wales Motive Power, 1921-1955. W.
In " Period I " described by Dalton as " late Cambrian and early G.W.R. days" the older Cambrian engines were being withdrawn and the problem was that the main line from Whitchurch to Aberystwyth and Coast line from Dovey Junction to Barmouth and Pwllheli were classified by the G.W.R. as yellow routes with a maximum permissible axle load of 16 tons, while the mid-Wales line between Llanidloes and Brecon was uncoloured with a 14-ton axle load. The most powerful yellow G.W.R. engines were the 3252 class Duke 4-4-0s and while many of these were working on the main line by the summer of 1925, they were for many years prohibited from the Coast section as the old 45 ft. turntable at Afon Wen could not take them consequently various shorter 2-4-0s, etc. had to be sent to the area. The summer of 1925, when on holiday at Aberystwyth, was a particularly interesting time on the Cambrian line. The Royal National Eisteddfod of Wales was held at Pwllheli during the August week at the height of the summer holiday traffic so that the long single-track Coast line was taxed to its utmost. In addition to Cambrian types, G.W.R. engines sent to the area at the time were approximately: 20 3252 class Duke 4-4-0 (5 ft. 8 in. wheels), 11 3206 class Barnum 2-4-0s (6 ft. 2 in. wheels), 15 3201" and 3501 class Stella 2-4-0s (5 ft. 2 in. wheels), 3 3232 class 2-4-0 with 6 ft. 8 in. wheels and 4 3521 class 4-4-0s with 5 ft. 2 in. wheels and short wheelbase. In addition several Dean 2301 class 0-6-0s were transferred from Cardiff area for banking, piloting, and working specials during August, and this type later worked regularly on the Cambrian section. The Barnums like the Dukes were yellow engines, the remainder uncoloured and so perrnitted on the mid-Wales line.
At that time the four largest Cambrian 4-4-0s (94 class) were working on the main line and it is not generally realised that these were slightly more powerful than the Dukes and were grouped with the Bulldogs in G.W.R. loading lists, although the latter were blue route engines and prohibited from the Cambrian section. Nos. 94, 96 and 97 were withdrawn in 1928 and 98 in 1933. G.W.R. numbers were 1014, 1029, 1035 and 1043. The fifth engine, 95, was destroyed in the Abermule accident in 1921. The 94's were handsome machines built by Robert Stephenson & Sons in 1904 and had 18½ in. by 26 in. cylinders and 6 ft. 0 in. driving wheels. Very few photographs of the 94s are now available, the enclosed print by K.A.C.R. Nunn showing No. 95 on an up express Talyrddig Bank is therefore interesting and typical of one of the heavy trains. It is banked by an earlier 4-4-0 and the L.N.W.R. vehicles will be noted., the Cambrian worked in close co-operation with the latter before grouping.
It is unfortunate that the lower photograph on page 243 is incorrect as it illustrates a Midland and South Western Junction 4-4-0, apparently G.W.R. No. 1120 built by North British Locomotives Co. in 1909.
The last Cambrian engines to be built were four 15 class 0-6-0s built by Beyer Peacock & Co. in 1918. They were an improved version of ten 89 class 0-6-0s built by Robert Stephenson and Beyer Peacock in 1903 and 1908, and had 18 in. by 26 in. cylinders 5 ft. 11 in. wheels and boilers similar to the 94s. A dozen of these survived nationalisation in 1948 (Dalton mentioned three) and they were then still going strong on the Cambrian section. Although yellow engines they were permitted on the mid-Wales line where they worked both passenger and goods trains until replaced by the L.M.R. and B.R. class 2 2-6-0s. The maps exhibited in shed masters' offices still show the Cambrian main line as a yellow route and authorised blue engines are confined to six-coupled types only, i.e., 78xx and 75xxx 4-6-0s, 43xx 2-6-0s and 41xx, etc., 2-6-2 tanks. The Coast line is still yellow although 78xx and 43xx engines from Chester Division visit Barmouth over the former G.W.R. line from Ruabon to Dolgelly which had been blue for many years.
I was at Barmouth on the Saturday of August Week, 1954, and the Old Cambrian section was as interesting as ever. Coast traffic was particularly heavy, trains fre- quently loading to eleven bogies, including specials to Penychain Holiday Camp and 22xx 0-6-0s, 55xx 2-6-2Ts, 90xx 4-4-0s and 78xxx 2-6-0s were being used in pairs, a line of these engines being kept at Barmouth during the day.
Central Wales Motive Power, 1921-1955. G.E.
With reference to the excellent article on Central Wales Motive Power in which it is stated (page 243) regarding the 90XX class that five of the class are in store, at the moment this is incorrect. During August. 1956, the following were stored: -
SWINDON, 9009/12, both 89C and 9011/23, both 82C.
OSWESTRY, 9010/20/6, both 89A.
CRAVEN ARMS, 9004/24, both 89C (since before May).
WORCESTER WORKS, 9025, 89C (about July).
ABERYSTWYTH, 9016/22, both 89C.
The above have all been stored for some two or three months. The two at Aberystwyth have been in store since the summer of 1955 and still carry Bath Road (82A) shed plates when they were shedded at Bristol in 1953 after storage at Swindon. Additional notes are that 9005/18 were taken out of store at Swindon on 10th June and sent home to Aberystwyth (9005) and Machynlleth (9018) for the summer. The one supposed to be in the Paddington District 9015 of Oxford (81F) was at Portmadox Shed on 19 August, with a Machynlleth shed plate (89C) an unrecorded transfer. The one allocated to the Stafford Road District, 9028 of Wrexham Croes Newydd (84J), was at Portmadoc Shed the previous Sunday and on 25 July worked an excursion from Portmadoc to Rhyl via Denbigh and would also appear to be another unrecorded transfer. On the 19 August only seven were at work on the Central Wales line: Nos. 9005/13/4/5/7/8/28. .