Volume 18 (1957)
Number 200 (January)
It was in December, 1939, that the first issue of 'Railways' made its appearance. Under the editorship of Mr. E. L. Lake it made an ambitious start, including in its 28 pages a colour plate and a centre-page spread. It was necessary in that far-off issue to make reference to the omission, in certain instances, of place names in captions-for this was wartime. Because of the war, it was decided to publish , Railways' every two months but, such was the reception of the new journal that, not-withstanding the difficulties, it became a monthly issue from 1st March, 1940. Unfortunately conditions became too difficult and there was a break in publication of four months after the June, 1940, issue. Mr. Lake continued to edit the journal up to and including the December, 1946, issue when he handed over to Mr. R. J. Rayrnond who was then editor of the Model Railway Constructor.
Mr. Raymond "held the fort" until December, 1949. He was succeeded by Mr. Peter H. Davison who, in turn, was succeeded in March, 1952, by the present editor, Mr. K. G. Mansell.
In September, 1952, Railways appeared under its new title, Railway World, a title which, it was felt, was more in keeping with the scope of the journal and one which has now become known throughout the world of railway enthusiasts.
It would be interesting to specuiate on what the original owner of the journal might have thought a worthy effort for the 200th issue. No doubt he would have looked forward to an ease of publication that would come with the end of the war. True, many difficulties which were present in those dark days no longer have to be reckoned with, but, as we all know, things are far from easy. Costs have risen beyond the wildest anticipation and, even more serious, there does not seem any end to this spiral. This is not a build-up to a new increase in price but we do wish to point out that it is not possible to do all those things we would like to do. However, judging from our correspondence files, we are not doing too badly and we hope that this 200th issue will please our readers as much as that first issue of ' Railways' did. In case you haven't noticed, there are four additional pages this month. We cannot make this a regular feature but .... On second thoughts we'll leave the rest unsaid. Be sure we will do our best for you.
R.J. Doran. East is East and West is West. Locomotive Causerie No.
No. 6010 King Charles I with double chimney on down Cornish Riviera Limited whih slipped a coach at Heywood Road and ran non-stop to Plymouth in 229 minutes 28 seconds against a schedule of 240 minutes. Two runs with up Bristolian behind double chimney No. 7018 Drysslwyn Castle on both of which speeds in excess of 90 mile/h attained near Wantage Road. Comparison made with Swindon to Paddington run behind No. 1009 County of Carmarthen. On the East Coast route four runs are outlined between Durham and York behind Nos. 60154 and 60073 Peterborough and Grantham behind A3, A4 and A1 class including driven by Bill Hoole who also features in the southern part of a non-stop Edinburgh to King's Cross run on the up Elizabethan on 8 August 1956 when 98 mile/h was atteined at Little Bytham.
W.J. Wyse. Around Switzerland on a season ticket. 9-16.
Centovalli and three spirals including Gotthard, Simplon and Lötschberg; Brunig and Berner Oberland Bahn; local railways in Appenzellerland; Arosa and St Moritz; Bernina Pass and Engadin and Glacier Express.
G.T. Moody. London lines opened in the 1860's. 17-20.
Loughton to Ongar opened on 24 April 1865; Great Northern Railway opened stations at Holloway in 1859, Wood Green in February 1860 and Seven Sisters Road on 1 July 1861, from here a branch line extended to Edgware; on 13 July 1868 the Midland Railway began passenger services to Moorgate Street and St Pancras station opened on 1 October 1868. The LNWR opened its Hampstead Junction Line on 2 January 1860 and this provided access to Hampstead Heath.
Wingate H. Bett. Spotlight on tickets. 20-1.
London Midland & Scottish Railway: Elvanfoot to any distance on Light Railway under 1¼ miles issued 2 December 1938: presumably for travel on Wanlockhead line as far as crossing of B7040. Baker Street & Waterloo Railway: Piccadilly Circus and Westsminster Bridge Road: latter became Lambeth (North) six-joourney strip ticket c1909.
J.I.C. Boyd. Glimpses of the narrow gauge. 22-3
North Wales Narrow Gauge Railway: Dinas Junction: photographs taken in July 1954 by P.M. Gates show Russell round its train and LMS station alongside.
W.A. Tuplin. Double yellow. 23-4.
Critical of use where divergence involved: noted Bourne End derailment.
Colin G. Maggs. The Wringtom Vale Light Railway. 24-6.
Opened to Blagdon on 4 December 1901 and closed to passenger traffic on 14 September 1931 and lifted beyond Wrington in 1952.
W.J. Reynolds. 60 years of railway photography. Part
SECR L class 4-4-0 built Borsig No. 778 photographed in 1914; GNR 2-4-0 No. 1067 at Margate Sands in 1914; C class 0-6-0 No. 712; B class 4-4-0 No. 13 fitted with Maunsell top feed; GCR 11E 4-4-0 No. 433 Walter Burgh Gair; 1B 2-6-4T No. 276; 4-6-2T No.165; 1A Glenalmond 4-6-0 No. 445; 9K 4-4-2T Mo. 359; Class I 4-6-0 No. 427 City of London; SECR 0-6-0ST No. 685 photographed in 1919; GNR locomotives: 4-2-2 No. 34; 2-2-2 No. 874; 4-2-2 No. 774; 2-2-2 No. 229; 2-4-0 No. 900; 4-2-2 No. 1008; 2-4-0 No. 1065; 4-2-2 No. 1002; 2-2-2 No. 235; 0-6-0 No. 843; SECR 0-6-4T No. 611 at Addiscombe Road in 1914; 0-6-0 Nos. 49 and 1 at Hither Green in 1912.
Number 201 (February 1957)
Norman Harvey. Great British 4-4-0 design. Locomotive Causerie No.
Driver Sam Gingell of Stewarts Lane and D1 and E1 class performance on the Southern Railway/Region Eastern Section
R.C. Riley. Liverpool Street - Southend electrification. 1. Steam
to Southend Victoria. 37-44.
Performance, including two footplate trips on class B12/3, and other runs predominantly on B1 or B12/3, and more rarely on B17; and notes of former performance behind Claud Hamilton class and by L1 class at that time.
Alan A. Jackson. Liverpool Street - Southend electrification. 2. Electric to Southend Victoria. 44-5.
K.G. Mansell. 10th anniversary of the Midland Area celebrated. 46.
Stephenson Locomotive Society with R.F. Hanks, Chairman of the Western Area Board of the BTC speaking
W.A. Camwell and M.D. Greville. Around the branch lines.
Little North Western Railway: Act obtained on 26 June 1846: opened in stages: photographs of Hornby with No. 45639 entering on Morecambe to Leeds train on 3 October 1955 and of Borwick on same day with Class 5 No. 44904 in station on Crnforth to Leeds train. Bangor-on-Dee station with No. 1432 on auto-train on 1 October 1955 (Wrexham to Ellesmere line). Broxton with 2P No. 40413 on Chester to Whitchurch service on 1 October 1955 (line opened 1 October 1872)
P.J. Norris. The Bromley North branch. 52-3.
Short LCDR branch line from Grove Park opened 1 January 1878. Intermediate station at Sundridge Park.
G.T. Moody. Railways in North Norfolk 40 years ago. 53-6.
W.J. Reynolds. 60 years of railway photography. Part
8. North London Railway. 57.
4-4-0T No. 109; outside cylinder 4-4-0T No. 69 and 0-6-0T No. 80
W.H. Bett. Ticket spotlight. 58; 60
Brighton & Dyke & London, Brighton & South Coast Railway: The Dyke to West Brighton single issued 9 October 1894. (Devil's Dyke)
Number 202 (March 1957)
R.J. Doran. The Jazz trains. Locomotive Causerie No. 199. 61-7.
Includes four photographs by K.A.C.R. [Ken] Nunn of L77 class 0-6-2Ts: No. 1000 fitted with indicator shelter at Enfield Twon on 8 June 1920; No. 1001 also fitted with indicator shelter at Bethnal Green on 22 June 1915; No. 1000 at Liverpool Street on 10 March 1915 and No. 990E at Stratford lettered LNER and incorrect date on caption.
Norman Jones. Elements of the law applicable to railway travellers. 67-8+.
Non-transferability of tickets, the concept of the Common Carrier, passenger's luggage, accidents, etc.
W.J. Reynolds. 60 years of railway photography. Part
Great Western Railway: 4-4-2 No. 182 Lalla Rookh; 4-6-0 No. 2972 The Abbot at Old Oak Common in 1927; 2-8-0 No. 2815 photographed in 1906; No. 4011 Knight of the Garter; 4-2-2 Great Western; 2-8-0 No. 4700 after being fitted with No. 7 boiler at Old Oak Common in 1920; Aberdare 2-6-0 No. 2610 with parallel Belpaire boiler and copper cap chimney; 4-6-0 No. 36; 2-4-0T with condensing gear and no cab No. 1407; 4-6-0 No. 4002 Evening Star in 1919; 4-4-0 No. 4118; No. 6018 King Henry VI at Old Oak Common in 1928; No. 2946 Langford Court; 2-6-0 No. 4375 Old Oak Common in 1920; No. 4056 Princess Margaret; 2-6-2T No. 3131 in 1929; No. 3826 County of Flint at Old Oak Common in 1925; 4-4-2T No. 2237; 2-8-0T No. 4258; 0-6-0T No. 633 with condensing gear and no cab; 2-4-0T No. 457 with cab; 2-2-2 No. 1129 with domeless parallel Belpaire boiler; 2-6-2T No. 4538; 2-4-2T No. 3611 with conical boiler and top feed in 1920; No. 4061 Glastonbury Abbey in austerity green paint.
H.C. Towers. Modern signalling at Potters Bar. 75-7.
Power box and colour light signalling
K. Hoole. Some fragments of N.E.R. locomotive history.
Official North Esatern Railway documents: paymrnt of £2820 to Robert Stephenson & Co. for engine No. 1484 on 6 January 1885 (0-6-0 desined McDonnell); on 5 February 1885 recommendation that eight side tanks should be built to use up material for bogie passenger engines not required (McDonnell 4-4-0s; on 22 January 1885 the General Manager was intructed to arrange with the North British Railway to station engines in Edinburgh for working trains to Newcastle and on 16 April this was extended to cover the cost of providing pilot locomotives for assisting trains on the climb to Grantshouse and replacing failed North Eastern locomotives. On 1 October 1885 W. Worsdell was appointed Assistant Locomotive Superintendent Northern Division; G. Grantham to Assistant Locomotive Superintendent Southern Division. Younghusband, the designer of a form of valve gear also received a rise in remuneration. On 5 June 1890 D. Bain was appointed Manager of the Carriage & Wagon Works, York at a salary of £350 per annum, increased to £400 on 17 September 1891. Other information: tank engines Nos. 1770 and 963 sold to Backworth and West Cramlington Collieries (reported 5 December 1889) and four-wheel shunting locomootive sold to Lingford Gardiner of Bishop Auckland for £200 (reported 17 December 1891); cost of painting E class 0-6-0T and report of November 1893 by Vincent Raven and Ramsey Kendal on performance of two-cylinder compound locomotives.
Coach of the future. 79-80
Metropolitan-Cammell Carriage & Wagon Co. prototype corridor compartment stock: elevations and plans; illustrations of interiors (extensive use of light coloured plastics)
Kenneth H. Leech. Then and now. 81-4.
Footplate observations made old LTSR No, 80 Thundersley on 17.15 ex-Fenchurch Street non-stop to Leigh. Driver Jim Stevens and fireman Frank Giles worked the train with great precision in timing. A "recent" trip on the high speed up Bristolian with Driver W.H. Brown and Fireman A. Hares on No. 7034 Ince Castle formed a comparison of skilled contemporary driving.
Brill branch locomotive to be preserved. 80.
Aveling & Porter WN 807/1872 was one of two pof these traction engine type locomotives used on the Wotton Tramway until it was take over by the Oxford & Aylesbury Tramroad in 1894 when they were sold to the Nether Reyford Brickworks. Although they had not worked since 1940 sufficient of the two remained to restore |No. 807 under the auspices of the Industrial Locomotive Society.
Number 203 (April)
W.J. Reynolds. 60 years of railway photography. Part 10. 89-96.
SECR 2-6-0 No. 814 with trilby-hatted gentleman resting his foot on the motion; 3-cylinder 2-6-4T No. 790; 4-4-0 No. 175; 4-4-0 No. 179 (E class); former ROD 2-8-0 No. 1706. LNER: GCR 4-cylinder 4-6-0 No. 5475; 2-6-4T No. 5368; B3 4-cylinder 4-6-0 No. 6164 Earl Beatty; 2-8-0 No. 5412; K2 2-cylinder 2-6-0 No. 1645; GER 0-6-0 No. 1156; LBSCR 0-6-0T No. 108; LSWR N15 No. 740; Midland Railway Class 3 4-4-0 No. 758; LNER N7 No. 8002;LNWR Prince of Wales 4-6-0 No. 444; GCR 4-6-0 No. 78; NBR 0-6-0 No. 84; H&BR 0-6-0 No. 13; LNER D9 No. 6023; GNR 4-cylinder Atlantic No. 279; rebuilt Drummond 4-6-0 (H15) No. 335 (SR); LSWR Paddlebox No. 443; GNR 2-cylinder 2-8-0 No. 475 and NBR 4-4-2T No. 102.
R.S. McNaught. The influence of John Ramsbottom.
Very brief biography: mainly his inventions: double-beat regulator, split piston rings, water troughs and associated pick-up mechanism (and divertion to note fishes in water troughs and another to those at Diggle in the tunnel), and safety valves. Also 2-2-2s named after Ramsbottom's daughters Edith and Eleanor and Webb transferred the names to Precursor class
Norman Jones. The last of the old Woodhead Tunnel. 103-5. illus.
Salvaged material from the old tunnels, recovered by Steel Supply Company (Eastern) Ltd., Bedford. Included 14,500 sleepers, 800 tons of bull-head and 110 tons of flat-bottom rail. Also Hawthorne Leslie 0-4-0ST Ajax taken off site by T.W. Ward Ltd
R.H. Mann. Odd man out! Part 1: 1903-1926. 105-8.
Single-purpose locomotives: 0-10-0 for Lickey Incline; Holden 0-10-0T Decapod (not illustrated), Churchward Great Bear (not illustrated here), U1 2-8-8-2 Beyer Garratt for Worsborough Incline and P1 2-8-2 with Booster (two locomotives, one of which attained 65 mile/h)
W.A. Camwell (and M.D. Greville). Around the branch lines.
Stow Park (between Lincoln and Gainsborough); Upton (former GCR in Wirral); Hoghton (between Preston and Blackburn), Aldridge (beteen Walsall and Birmingham)
W. Jones. The London & North Western in South Wales. Part 1. 113-16.
illus., map, diagrs.
Map and gradient profile of Abergavenny to Merthyr section: also Sirhowy line and Blaenavon branch.
Number 204 (May 1957)
An unusual shot. Alan A. Jackson. front cover.
View of two Castle class and one King from above. See page 160
"Britannia" No. 70044. 130. Philip J. Kelley. 130.
Westinghouse brake fitted, no smaoke deflectors, on down Euston to Bacup and Colne express at Bourne End in July 1955.
R.J. Doran. Night freight to the West. 117-23.
Footplate observations on No. 4708 working 21.32 from Paddington with H.E. Cooke Locomotive Inspector of the Newton Abbot District, Driver C.F. Bull and Fireman D. Harding as far as Westbury and Driver W. Chapman and Fireman K. Pattemore thence to Newton Abbot. Noted commodious cab which in spite of lack of side window was more like cabs fitted to Castle class. Steamed well even on poor fuel.
Railway Development Association Plan for the London Area. 124-9.
To the Editor. 129.
Double yellow. W.A. Tuplin.
Argued that double yellow warning could have two meanings and that this had led to Bourne End accident
Then and now. Tilbury.
Jim Stevens and his opposite mate Frank Alexander had their names painted in the back of the cab on the LTSR. The variable blast pipe fitted was invented by GER driver at Stratford.
Stow Park. C.J. Clarke.
Gainsborough Lea Road noteds on concrete platforms and on diversion of main line trains via loop.
Frances Collingwood. Benjamin Baker: builder of the
first Underground. 130.
Brief biographical sketch.
R.H. Mann. Odd man out! Part 2: 1929-1952. 131-6.
LMS No. 6399 Fury; as rebuilt as No. 6170 British Legion; LNER Gresley No. 10000 (only illustrated in water-tube boiler form) and Stanier turbine locomotive No. 6202 and as rebuilt No. 46202 Princess Anne.
Obituary: Robert H. Whitelegg. 136.
W.A. Camwell. The Stafford and Uttoxeter Railway. 137-42.
Cites Locomotive Mag., 1908, 14, 49: includes information and drawing of 2-4-0T named Shrewsbury and Talbot. Mainly description of line in decline (stations illustratred) and N2 class No. 69552 at Stafford Common and GNR 4-4-0 No. 868 entering Stafford (LNWR).
Number 205 (June 1957)
L.N.E.R. "Garratt" No. 69999 en route from Bromsgrove to Doncaster for breaking
up, September, 1955. F. Spencer Yeates. iii
Western Region 4-6-0 No. 5015 Kingswear Castle on up Cambrian Coast Express entering Snow Hill. iv
Without headboard and with ordinary passenger headlamp?
Pat Dalton. New life for the Vale of Rheidol Railway. 145-6.
Visit by Western Area Board, including K.W.C. Grand and Hanks, the Chairman who drove the train to Devil's Bridge.
W.J. Reynolds. 60 years of railway photography. Part
GNR 4-6-2 Pacifics Nos. 1470 Great Northern (two views); 1471 without name; K3 2-6-0 No. 1000; NER Pacific No. 2400; GNR 2-cylinder 2-6-0 No. 1633; LSWR H16 class 4-6-2T No. 519; LSWR S15 4-6-0 as Southern Railway No. 511; GNR 2-cylinder O1 class 2-8-0 No. 459. The following three photographs were taken at Marylebone on 22 February 1923: NER S3 4-6-0 No. 2368; GCR 4-6-2T No. 3 and Pacific No. 1472 (all lettered "L.& N.E.R." on tender (tank-side for No. 3). NBR Atlantic as LNER No. 876 Waverley; NER Z class Atlantic as LNER No. 2207; GER 1500 class as LNER No. 1534; GSWR 4-6-4T No. 544. SR three-cylinder 2-6-0 with conjugated valve gear No. 822; LBSCR No. 333 Remembrance; LBSCR I3 class 4-4-2T No. 21; MR 4-2-2 No. 689; Southern Railway 4-6-2T locomotives Nos. 325 and 326. 4-4-2 No. 37B; LNWR Experiment class 4-6-0 No. 1361 Prospero; Caledonian Railway 0-8-0T as LMS No. 16951 and 0-8-0 No. 604. Southern Railway 4-4-0 classes: B class (with Stirling domeless boiler) No. 441A; B class No. 452B; L class No. 763A Betty Baldwin (unofficial name); S11 No. 403E; L12 No. 426E; D15 No. 471E.
Geoffrey Oates. Diesel trains come to North Wales. 156-60.
Blaenau Ffestiniog and Amlwck branches.
The story behind last month's cover picture.
Photograph taken from Historical Records Department of British Transport Commission located in Porchester Road near Royal Oak station.
W.A. Camwell. Some railway schemes in Mid-Staffordshire. 161-3.
Derby, Uttoxeter & Stafford Rilway; Rugeley & Abbot's Bromley Railway; North & South Staffordshire Junction Railway; Stafford & Uttoxeter Railway Abbot's Bromley branch; Wolverhampton & North Staffordshire Junction Railway.
J. Spencer Gilks. The Border Line: Bury St. Edmunds to Thetford.
The border being between Suffolk and Norfolk: opened 1 March 1876, closed 1953.
W. Jones. The London & North-Western in South-Wales. 167-70.
Splendid sight of 0-8-4T locomotives working heavy passenger trains, Problem of derailments and inability to accept standard Belpaire boiler. Other LMS classes employed or trialed: Class 3 2-6-2T (Stanier); 3F 0-6-0T, 4F 0-6-0 on Cardiff express freights, and LNER 0-8-0s.
Number 206 (July 1957)
Preserved No. 80 Thundersley at Southend Central with LTSR coach for Centenary Celebration in March 1956. iii
London Transport K class 2-6-4T. iv upper
A4 No. 60017 Silver Fox with double chimney at King's Cross on 27 May 1957. W.J. Reynolds. iv lower
W.A. Camwell and M.D. Greville. Around the branch llines. 173-5.
W. Jones. The Taff Vale 0-6-2 tank engines. 176-9.
A class designed J. Cameron. First batch sSupplied by Hawthorn Leslie & Co. 1914. Order placed with Hannover Engineering Works was cancelled due to WW1 and placed with Northb British Locomotive Co. Other batches supplied by Nasmyth Wilson and Vulcan Foundery. Great Western developed a new standard type S 10 KA and reboilered the class between 1924 and 1931. The new boilers streamed well. They were used mainly on passenger duties
R.K. Kirkland. The Bury Line electrics. 180-1.
1200V dc third rail electrification by Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway. The conductor rail was housed in a solid block of timber with a slot through which the pick-up shoe passed. The system was envisaged as a stage in a much wider electrification. The rolling stock was built of steel and was intended to be fireproof and was very heavy. The luggage space was behind roller shutters and corridor connections were provided between the cars. The vacuum brake was employed. The Holcombe Brook branch is also considered. Errors indicated in latter from J.F. Thomas in Issue 208 p. vi.
J.I.C. Boyd. Round the Appin Coast. 182-7.
Ballachulish branch. Includes modications being made to Connel Ferry Bridge to accommodate increased road traffic.
W.J. Reynolds. Last of the 'E5' class. 187.
Introduced in 1902: 5ft 6in coupled-wheel 0-6-2T. LBSCR No. 586 illustrated
H.M. Madgwick. Steam rail-motor cars of the L.B. & S.C.R. 188.
Beyer Peacock locomotive units WN 4721-2 with bodywork supplied Electric Railway & Tramway Carriage Works of Preston. Fitted with vacuum brake in spite of LBSCR being a Westinghouse line. Worked between Eastbourne and Hastings. Sold to Trinidad Government Railways where body of one was converted into special sallon for Governor.
B.R. battery-electric loomotive: ex-N.S.R. No. B.E.L. 2 on the L.M. Region at Oakamoor. W. Bursnall. 188.
W.H. Whitworth [obituary]. W.J. Reynolds. 189.
Died 21 April 1957 aged 66. Educated Manchester Grammar School. Dental surgeon in Cheetham, Manchester. Enthusiastic member of Stephenson Locomotive Society and RCTS. Photographer of LNWR and LYR locomotives. Portrait of him in cab of LNER No. 10000.
H.C.P. Smail. A footnote to the L.B. & S.C.R. West Coast Line.
The first Bognor station of 1864 was severely damaged in a gale on 3 March 1897 and during the night on 29 September 1899 the station was burnt down. A new station was built by W. Johnson & Co. between 1900 and 1902. The information was supplied by local historian Gerard Young. Illustrations of burnt out Bognor station and luggage label showing that name New Arundel name was used.
"Oliver Cromwell" nears Shenfield. B.E. Morrison. 189.
The East Anglian (up train).
R.H. Mann. Odd man out! [Part 3]. 192.
Class 8P Duke of Gloucester: suggests link with International Railway Congress Association meeting in London.
Odd man out. P.W.B. Semmens. 192
U1 Beyer Garratt: mode of working on Worsborough Bank: spells on Lickey Incline: second one, after conversion to oil firing very short and not a success.
Odd man out. R.W. Tyler. 192-3
The Great Bear No. 111 did survive the gouping as rebuilding not commenced until 7 January 1924 and completed in September 1924. No. 2290 0-10-0 Lickey Banker did not introduce tender cabs as these were fitted to S & DJR 2-8-0s. U1 still had No. 2395 under flaking paint at Bromsgrove.
Number 207 (August 1957)
R.J. Doran. Merchant Navies and the Bournemouth Belle. Locomotive
Causerie No. 201. 201-7.
Nos. 35021 and 35012 on Waterloo to Bournemouth and Bournemouth to Waterloo
New Continental link: London-Hamburg express. 208-11.
09.03 Day Continental to Harwich with breakfast taken on the train. Zealand Steamship ferry to Hook of Holland, and four-car diesel set thence to Hamburg reached at 23.59
The first of the many. 211.
D8000 British Railways Pilot Scheme Type A 1000 hp diesel electric locomotive built Vulcan Foundry and handed over on 2 June 1957
H. Gordon Tidey goes out with his camera. 212-13.
Disappointing collection: far from photographer's high standards and poorly reproduced
Hail to the past. 214-17.
Photo-feature: GWR Royal Saloon of 1897; 4-2-2 No. 3014 Iron Duke; 4-2-2 No. 3022 Rougemount and City of Truro at Goodrington on 19 May 1957.
Peter F. Winding. To Nice by narrow gauge. 218-22.
Route from Digne
Ian Cameron. British Railways Modernisation Plan: new life for old
branch lines. 222-4.
Number 208 (September 1957)
Norman Harvey. With Driver Brewer of the Stewarts Lane boat link.
King Arthur class No. 30769 Sir Balan on ten coach non-stop run from Folkestone Central to Waterloo and No. 34102 Lapford on down Golden Arrow to Folkestone Junction and on up working from Dover Marine. Lapford was a late substitution for one of the Britannia class
W.A. Camwell (and M.D. Greville). Around the branch lines.
Banbury Merton Street with Stanier 2-6-4T No.42669 on 19 May 1951 on service to Bletchley, and single unit diesel railcar on 18 August 1956; Helmdon with diesel electric locomotive dismantling section between Cockley Brake Junction and Towcester on 13 November 1955; Blaenau GFfestiniog (Central), Trawsfynydd and Tyddyn Bridge Halt alll on 27 June 1956 with Nos. 7442 and 7447 on passenger trains.
Kenneth H. Leech. To Plymouth with "The Limited". 236-43.
Cornish Riviera hauled by No. 6000 King George V driven by Driver Walter Harris. and observed from footplate and return on 15.45 on footplate as far as Taunton on No. 6027 King Richard I. Several footplate photographs.
Alan A. Jackson. Puffers and trams. 243-5+
The joys of travel by electric train as illustrated by travel in Belgium from Ghent through to Brussels Nord via Centrale compared with London Underground cleanliness à la City Thamslink). Puffers were enthusiasts for steam.
Norman Jones. I shall remember Whittinghaam. 346-51.
Whittingham Hospital near Preston was connected to the Longbridge branch at Grimsargh. Photographs of the remains of LBSCR D1 0-4-2T Riddlesdown and Sentinel WN 9377 Gradwell and of the Sentinel hauled passenger train. Internal rolling stock is described and illustrated. Former Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST WN 804/1888 and 0-4-2T WN 1026/1904 are described. Includes notes on dimensions and parformance (in high and low gears) of Sentinel 100 hp locomotive.
K. Hoole. A chapter of accidents. 252-4.
24 April 1956: 2-6-4T No. 80119 derailed at Scalby; 14 July: B1 No. 61084 derailed at Filey Holiday Camp and K3 No. 61846 hit buffer stops at Filey Holiday Camp station on 25 Augut due to failure to connect vacuum brake pipe to the empty stock train, also derailed wagons at Weaverthorpe on 6 October.
The Bury line electrics. J.F.
Notes errors in descriptions of rolling stock and the geography of the line (tunnel lengths incorrect, names of rivers crossed, etc)
Number 209 (October 1957)
K. Hoole. Railcars in the North-East. 257-61.
Petrol electric autocars Nos. 3170/1 seating 52 passengers left York Works in 1902 lasted until 1931/2: the original Napier engines were replaced by Wolsley engines. In 1908 a small railbus was constructed for inspection duties and this was followed by two larger cars in 1909: these latter were built at Gateshead. All three had petrol engines and transmission through a gearbox. Most of these vehicles are described further, and illustrated in Part 10B of the RCTS Locomotives of the LNER. Both the several varieties of Sentinel and Clayton steam railcars are desribed but once again the RCTS publication provides great detail. The Armstrong Whitworth diesel electric railcars and railbus are considered. Some of the Sentinel railcars were painted in the red and cream livery used on the Tyneside electric multiple units until WW2. Finally, the then new British Railways railcars were mentioned.
Chief Scout names a Britannia. 261.
No. 70045 Lord Rowallan.
J.H. Price. Russian railway journey. Part 1. 262-5.
Arranged via Intourist. Travelleds from St Pancras to Tilbury then by Swedish Lloyd steamer to Sweden, overland across Sweden, thence by steamer to Helsinki where 5ft gauge encountered. From Helsinki took train to Leningrad (St. Petersburg), travelling hard class, noting samovar providing frequent glasses of tea.
W.A. Tuplin. Thoughts on trains. 266-7.
Journey from Sheffield Victoria to Norwich on North Country Continental hauled by a B17 4-6-0 as far as March, and possibly, Ely: thence after climbing to locked Cathedral and wait of eighty minutes on to Norwich. Liked the ambience of the train and enjoyed the flat crossing with the East Coast main line at Retford and the climb to Charborough.
G.T. Moody. London lines opened in the 1870's. 267-9.
G.H. Mahon. The Great Northern Railway (Ireland) Border line. 270-3.
The failure of the Irish governments to preserve train services to Enniskillen, Clones, Bundoran and Omagh. Article gives a considerable amount of historical detail about the Omagh to Enniskillen line mentioning A.W. Forde (its engineer) and contractor William McCormick and the unfortunate use of Barlow rails and Bridges Adams light locomotives. The Clones to Enniskillen formed part of the Dundalk and Enniskillen Railway. The engineer was James Barton and McCormick the contractor.
W.J. Wyse. The Trans-Europe Express trains. 274.
H.M. Madgwick. Hastings: the pre-grouping scene. 275.
Photograph by author: of Hastings station in 1920 with SECR rebuilt Class F1 4-4-0 No. 29 with train for Charing Cross and LBSCR B2X 4-4-0 shunting train for Brighton.
Norman Jones. Royal trains... 276-7.
Highly confidential pamphlet issued to LMS staff for working Royal Train on 4/5 July 1937 for overnight journey from Euston to Edinburgh Princes Street including stabling the train on the outer end of the Balerno branch near Ravelrig Junction between 07.55 and 09.46 presumably to serve breakfast and prepare for an arrival at 10.00.
T.L. Jones. Royalty and the G.K.N. 278-9.
King George V and Queen Mary visited Guest Keen and Nettlefords steelworks at Dowlais on 27 June 1912 arriving on the Taff Vale Railway Royal Train. They were met by Viscount Churchill, Chairman of the GWR and after passing through a coal arch were greeted by the Earl of Bessborough, Vice-Chairman of GKN and Arthur Keen, Managing Director. The Royal vehicle was hauled within the works by Nos. 41 Sandyford and No. 38 Arthur Keen the nameplates of which had been switched for this day's events. New locomotives No. 40 King Geoge V and No. 42 Queen Mary were named by their Majesties. These locomotives were built at the works under the direction og George Robson, Locomotive Superintendent. Leading dimensions of locomotive stock tabulated.
J. Spencer Gilks. Building a branch line... from Yate to Thornbury. 280-1.
Opened 2 September 1872
Number 210 (November 1957)
Peter F. Winding. The British 'Atlantic'. 285-9.
Broad survey covering most Brritish Atlantic types written to mark last (LBSCR) Atlantic in service
J.H. Price. Russian railway journey. Part 2. Leningrad. 290-3.
Imposing architecture of railway stations. Children's railway
G.R. Mahon and W.A. Camwell. Great Northern Railway (Ireland):
Dundalk-Clones, Clones-Cavan and Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties Railway.
Dundalk Western railway incorporated in 1837 which was built as the Dundalk & Enniskillen Railway, but only authorised to build as far as Clones.
H.C.P. Smail. Alfred Thomas Chapman Station master at Worthing
L.B. & S.C.R. 1884-1907. 299
Born at Crowborough in 1845, joined railway at Hailsham in 1860; moved to Billingshurst, then Horsham, Lewes and in may 1867 appointed station master at Mitcham; thence to Barnham Junction and finally to Worthing until his retirement in April 1907.
Journey's end! 299
Former Mersey Railway multiple unit set at Horwich on 17 March 1957.
Talyllyn Railway special: Sixth Annual General Meeting. 300-2.
'West Country' modification. 302. illus.
K. Hoole, 21 years of class "V2". 303-6. 6 illus.,
A short, but useful history: includes details of all the naming ceremonies: 4780 The Snapper by Brigadier General J.L.J. Clarke at Hull Paragon station on 11 September 1937; No. 4806 The Green Howard by Major-General H.E. Franklyn at Richmond on 24 September 1938; No. 4818 St. Peter's School, by the captain of the school at York on 3 April 1939; No. 4843 King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry by Lady Deedes, wife of the Colonel of the Regiment at Doncaster Works on 20 May 1939; No. 4831 Durham School by the captain of the school at Durham Elvet station on 15 June 1939; No. 4844 Coldstreamer by Major-General Sir Cecil Pereira at King's Cross station on 20 June 1939.
Kenneth H. Leech. Three experts: [Drivers] Bill Hoole
(King's Cross); Walter Harris (Old Oak Common); [and] Sam Gingell (Stewarts
Photograph of trio at King's Cross with A1 No. 60156 Great Central on 14 August 1957.
P.J. Norris. Centenary of Bedford - Hitchin line. 308-9.
Powers obtained on 4 August 1853 and opened in 1859 the line provided a route for the Midland Railway to reach London over the Great Northern Railway, but opened its own route in 1868. Shefford was the largest intermediate town, but Henlow Camp (RAF) provided most traffic and demanded special leave trains. Cardington also required special leave trains. At the time of the article the basic passenger service was thin. The J15 class was used on the line.
W.H. Bett. Ticket spotlight. 310.
London & North Eastern Railway ticket issued at Highgate station for travel to St. John's Wood issued 8 September 1944 and printed by London Transport
The first from Swindon. 311.
First of twenty, No. 92178: 9F fitted with double chimneys.
Spit and polish. W.J. Reynolds. 311
56XX No. 6664 photographed at Swindon painted in lined Brunswick green
C.J. Robb. Ceremonial barrow and spade. 312.
Engraving of wheelbarrow used for cutting turf to start work on Stratford-on-Avon and Hatton in 1859.
Number 211 (December 1957)
LNER (ex-NBR) 4-4-0s Nos. 9639 and 9866 at Perth (in LNER green livery) in 1924. 313.
Norman Jones. They did it with wires. 314-17.
St. Edward's Hospital, Cheddleton, near Leek. Photographs of overhead wire still in situ, permanent way, electric locomotive, Churnet Valley Platform, and grounds of Asylum. See also letter by J.C. Gillham in Volume 19 p. 52.
J.H. Price. Russian railway journey. Part 3. The October Railway. 318-22.
W.A. Tuplin. No more "Stars". 323-4. illus.
Notes strengths and the few weeknesses of the design. The main weakness was the poor ergonomics of the small cab. Capable of hauling large loads at high speed.
H.C. Towers. Automatic shunting of wagons in goods marshalling yards:
first installation in Great Britain. 325-7+ illus.
Thornton in Fife: equipment supplied by Metropolitan Vickers.
G.H. Mahon. The Oldcastle branch. 328-31.
GNR (I): 39½ miles long from Drogheda.
Kenneth Perry. I was thinking... 331.
Boyhood in 1930s Liverpool. Skipped school to see No. 6200 Princess Royal on 10.30 from Lime Street, but was photographed by Liverpool Echo which his father read. Also No. 6220 Coronation was prepared at Edge Hill in anticipation of Royal return from Northern Ireland, but the Royal party flew back.
H.M. Madgwick. The rail motor halts of the L.B. & S.C.R. 332
Listed in alphaabetical order with opening dates and length of platfom and illustration of four coach (locomotive in middle) at Ham Bridge Halt (subsequently East Worthing)
British Railways Class '2' diesel-electric. 333-4.
A1A-A1A Brush type with Mirrlees engines.
W.H. Bett. Ticket spotlight. 338
Great Western railway ticket issued at Greenford on 12 April 1948 for travel over London Transport with zone limits (London Transport style ticket)
Arthur G. Wells. The mobile shop at Barmouth Ferry. 339-40
15 inch gauge Fairbourne Miniatute Railway provided a shop mounted on a railway vehicle at its terminus
Ceremonial barrows and spades. Arthur
Refers to reproduction of an old print published on page 312 of the November issue of Railway World. You may like to know that in the museum in Fitz Park, Keswick, Cumberland, there is a similar cabinetmade wooden wheelbarrow and wooden spade which. according to the legend. was used for the cutting of the first sod of the Cockermoutb, Keswick and Penrith Railway in 1862. I am afraid that I cannot give a detailed description from memory but any readers who may visit Keswick can view them during the normal hours of opening..
Bedford-Hitcbin Line. M.D. Greville
Sir,- Mr. Norris, in his article on the Bedford- Hitchin line. has given currency to the widely held local tradition that the original L.N.W. station was on the site of the present goods station. There is no foundation for this; large-scale contemporary mar-s make it quite clear that the present St. John 's station is exactly on tbe site of the original one. As regards the train service. may I point out that there is only one train (6.12 a.m. from Bedford) allowed the extra time47 minutes: and the statement "No Sunday service has been provided" would suggest that there never has been one, wbereas for a short period prior to the last war, there was a Sunday service, which dirt not, of course, survive. Finallya small pointthe river at Hitchin is the Hiz, not the Hit.
L.N.E.R. Railcars. K. Hoole
The letter from Mr. J. Butcher in your correspondence columns of the October issue regarding the L.N.E.R. railcars, will, no doubt, be partly answered by my article in the same issue. The vehicle observed by Mr. Butcher was, of course, one of the 4-wheeled trailers specially built for use with the Seninet railcars: an illustration of No. 2166 appears on page 260 of the same issue. Eight of these trailers were built by Clayton Wagons, Ltd .. in 1929, Nos. 2156/60/2/5/6/90 for tbe N .E. section and Nos. 51910/1 for the G.C. section: in addition to the vacuum brake those for the N .E. had screw handbrakes in the luggage compartments and those for the G.C. had lever handbrakes outside the vehicles. With a wheelbase of 26 ft. and a length over buffers of 44 ft. 4 in. they had a reputation for poor riding and were not much used. They weighed 14 tons 19 cwt. and were fitted with steam heating and electric light: in the passenger compartment seats were provided for 40 passengers. with straps for a further 12 standing. In the luggage compartment were eight folding wooden seats for a further 16 passengers. The trailers were all painted the standard green and cream of the railcar stock.
Midland Railway Routes to London. C.R. Clinker
Mr. Nonis's interesting article on the Bedford and Hitchin Line Centenary in the November issue is a reminder that the Midland and its constituent companies obtained access to London by four different routes in succession. The Birmingham and Derby Junction opened its then main line from Derby to Hampton on 12th August. 1839, and handed to the London and Birmingham the through carriages for Euston Square. With the throughout opening of its erstwhile competitor. the Midland Counties, from Derby to Rugby on 30th June, 1840, the greater part of the London traffic. still destined for Euston Square, passed to and from the London and Birmingham via Rugby. The Hampton route, whilst not entirely disused. became redundant and was "singled" between August, 1842, and March, 1843. probably the first main line to achieve this distinction. Seventeen years later the London terminus for Midland traffic was transferred to King's Cross with the opening to passengers of the Wigston and Hitchin railway on 8th July, 1857. Through carriages to King's Cross were introduced in September the same year and complete trains. worked by Midland locomotives and men, on Ist March, 1858. On 1st October, they commenced to work their own goods trains beyond Hitchin.
Just as friction with the L. & N.W. over the handling of their traffic between Rugby and London had been one of the reasons for the construction of the Midland's line to Hitchin. so that company complained strongly to the G.N. that they were violating the spirit of the agreement under which Midland traffic reached King's Cross. In fact. it soon became apparent that the G.N. main line and terminal facilities were inadequate to accommodate the increasing volume of traffic of both companies. It was only three years after this route was first used by the Midland that they commenced preparations for building an independent line from Bedford to a terminus in London. The Act received Royal Assent on 22 June. 1863. and so urgently was the construction pushed ahead that goods trains were able to use it from 8th September, 1867. On 13 July, 1868. a service of local passenger trains. using Moorgate as their terminus. was started. The final section, from St. Paul's Road Junction to St. Pancras station was opened on 1 October, 1868, and with it the Midland lost its purely provincial status. Like the Whitacre-Hamnton section 28 years before, the Bedford-Hitchin line became of secondary importance. but it was not converted to single line until 1 May. 1911. The Leicester-Rugby portion, however, did not suffer the same fate on its displacement as a main line. It was developed as a useful route for goods traffic exchanged with the L. &N.W. at Rugby. Traffic on this line increased considerably from 1 March, 1880, when an agreement came into force under which all coal for Rugby and L. & N.W. stations south or east thereof was routed via Rugby instead of Market Harborough, Wellingborough or Bedford.
Lasty, it may be of interest to record the distances from Derby to London by the four routes mentioned above:
Euston via Hampton (1839·1840) 141m. 36ch.
Euston via Rugby (1840-1857) 131m. 15ch.
King's Cross via Hitchin (1857-1868) 126m. 48ch.
St. Pancras direct (1868 onwards) 128m. 37ch.