Volume 22 (1961)
January (Number 248)
Norman Harvey. Locomotive causerie. Some thoughts of a Southern
Appreciation of LBSCR 0-6-2T classes, especially E5 class; the SECR C class noted for substituting for EMU services when line flooded at Clock House linking New Beckenham with Elmers End. "It is possible to see in Maunsell's noble "Lord Nelson" Class of four-cylinder 4-6-0s the apotheosis of Drummond's experiments with his own luckless big engines... It is known that a set of "Lord Nelson" drawings was loaned to Derby Works when the original "Scots" were being hastly schemed out". He also called the Lord Nelson class "something of an enigma" in terms of performance. Critical of routine failure to observe speed limits (85 mile/h on Southern Region) and note on bricks falling from St. Mary Cray Viaduct.
G. Lack. Destination boards. 7-11.
Illustrations of carriage roof boards and the extended messages they contained: illustrated those carried by pre-grouping Anglo-Scottish services, some Western Region services and those then used by the CIE in Ireland.
A Midlands industrial emigrant. F. Jux. 11.
Hunslet 18 inch gauge WN 1404/1920 0-4-0T named Gwen (illustrated). Built for John Knowles & Co. (Wooden Box) Ltd at Woodville
Victoria Station centenary. 12-13.
Black & white photo-feature: interior scenes: engraving 1861; photograph c1900; frontage c1900: SECR and LBSCR entrances
B.G. Wilson. The railway development of Wimbledon 1. 14-41+.
London & Southampton Railway was given Royal Assent on 25 July 1864 and was opened as far as Woking on 21 May 1838. The station at Wibledon was at the foot of Wimbledon Hill.
Alan A.S. Paterson. Dugald Drummond at St. Rollox, 1882-85.
Part 1. 21-5.
Includes a brief biographical introduction which emphasises his strong ties with Stroudley and how these were broken on the NBR by the introduction of the bogie on the Abbotsford 4-4-0. This part is an examination of the problems he encountered on the Caledonian Railway, notably the need to improve the works at St. Rollox, and to build a powerful locomotive for freight haulage. The latter was fulfilled by the Jumbo class of 0-6-0 manufactured by Neilson & Co. and at St. Rollox
J. Spencer Gilks. The Hertford, Luton & Dunstable Railway.
The branch lines from Hatfield (Welwyn Garden City once it came into being) to Dunstable where an end-on junction was made with the railway to Leighton Buzzard and to Herford where contact was made with Great Eastern Railway were the subject of several proposed railways until the lines opened in the 1860s. The Hertford line lost its strategic value to the GNR once the Hertford Loop opened and the passenger service ceased in 1951. Substantial portions of both lines are now cycleways where the gradients are quite noticeable. Illustrations: Luton Bute Street; N7 No. 69678 at Luton Hoo; Type 1 diesel electric on 14.21 Dunstable to Hatfield at Harpenden East on 25 June 1960; Wheathampstead station, Type 1 diesel electric on passenger train at Ayot passing loop, Hertigfordbury station, Hertford North and Cowbridge station.
L.G. Marshall. The steam metre-gauge railways of Asturias. 31-4.
J.B. Snell. A forest journey. 35-40.
2ft 6in gauge railways in State of Victoria, Australia
Book reviews. 42-3
February (Number 249)
Norman Harvey. Locomotive causerie. Scottish locomotives at work.
Performance by Class 60 4-6-0 No. 14647 recorded by David L. Smith on 1 July 1933 on 10.00 from Glasgow Buchanan Street to Aberdeen as far as Perth with load in excess of 500 tons.The same recorder and locomotive class timed No. 14633 between Ayr and Paisley on up 11.41 ex-Stranraer with 340 ton train in May 1939. A third Class 60 (No. 14649) was timed by Ronald Nelson on 13 August 1940 on a light train from Edinburgh Prinnces Street to Stirling when speeds in the sixties were recorded.
D.A. Bourke. The decline of the slip coach. 51-4.
The Western Region ran the final slip coaches in Britain: the last one was at Bicester off the down 17.10 from Paddington. Theree is a list of the large number of slip coaches available in August 1914. These were withdrawn in WW1 and again in WW2, but the Great Western later Western Region continued the practice and some trains included more than one slip. One of the obvioius problems was the return of the slip coaches; furthermore most could only be used in one direction. Illustrations show the special tail lamps, the act of slipping and the controls used by the slip guards.
G. Robin and W.L. Callan. The railways of North-West Ayrshire.
Lines to Ardrossan and Largs. Ardrossan Harbour was founded in 1806 by the Earl of Eglinton and the Paisley & Ardrossan Canal was authorised in the same year, but this did not extend beyond Johnstone. On 14 June 1827 the Ardrossan & Johnstone Railway was authorised, but only the section to Kilwinning from Ardrossan was ready by 1831. The Glasgow, Paisley, Kilwinning & Ayr Railway opened throughout on 12 August 1840 and the Ardrossan & Johnstone Railway dropped "Johnstone" from its title, converted its gauge from 4ft 6in to standard gauge and for a brief period of glory provided part of a West Coast route (with ship from Ardrossan to Liverpool). The branches to Ardrossan Winton Pier and Montgomerie Pier and the connection thence from the Caledonian Railway's Lanarkshire & Ayrshire Railway opened throughout in 1904 is mentioned and its rationalisation under the LMS. A further pier and branch were opened at Fairlie off the Largs branch. The passenger stations are described and some illustrated. West Kilbride receives praise for its attractive architecture. All is described as observed in the days of the courtship by KPJ of EMJ..
M.R. Bailey. The East Anglian Lion. 63.
Photograph and line drawiung of Sharp Brothers 0-4-2 supplied in 1848 and originally numbered 13, but reunbered 162 when leased to the Eastern Counties Railway. Photograph shows it on scrap road at Stratford Works in 1872
H.M. Le Fleming. Famous locomotive types A railway of Pacifics.
Malaya (Malaysia): the Federated Malay States operated a long long metre gauge main line from Singapore via Kuala Lumpur to Prai, ferry terminal for Penang, and thence to the frontier with Thailand. Pacifics.operated most trains. A table shows the progress from the H class introduced in 1907 to the three cylinder S and O classes which were three cylinder designs introduced in 1928 and 1938 respectively. The S class were very heavy and some incorporated Gresley derived motion whilst others had rotary cam valve gear: The Sultan of Pahang and another on a sixteen coach train are illustrated. The O class were lighter, had a more advanced boiler and rotary cam valve gear yet had an axle load of only 12½ tons.
The Vulcan Foundry. 68-9.
Very brief "pocket encylopedia" article which notes that drawings had been deposited with Liverpool Public Musuems.
George Behrend. The first British sleeping cars. 70-1.
First built by North British Railway at Cowlairs Works and ran between Edinburgh and London on alternate nights, arriving at King's Cross for the first time on 1 August 1873. The London & North Western responded with a service from Euston to Glasgow from 1 October via the initiative of Richard Bore, Superintendent of the Line. The Great Northern introduced a Boudoir Car designed by the American W.D. Mann: a diagram shows its uncomfortable layout.
W.H. Bett. Ticket spotlight. 72-3.
Stratford-upon-Avon & Midland Junction Railway ticket issued on 17 August 1912 at Blisworth (LNWR) for journey to Blakesley by a party of 30 probably for visit to Blakesley Hall and its miniature railway.
Book reviews. 74-5.
The London, Brighton & South Coast Railway. C. Hamilton Ellis.
London. Ian Allan Ltd. 271 pp. Reviewed by P.F.W.
Many a well-worn theme has been revived by giving it a new arrangement, and Hamilton Ellis has done something akin to this with his mechanical history of the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway, a work that is devoted mainly to the locomotives and the accidents that befell them on all too frequent occasions.
The locomotive history of the Brighton is a subject that has been dealt with by a number of leading authorities and it is doubtful if much can ever be added to the already published sources. Nevertheless this book will be welcomed by all those who are in need of an authentic and complete record of all the engines owned by the company from 1839, and these will be many, as most of the already published accounts are out of print and difficult of access. As to the accidents, anyone who enjoyed Rolt's Red for Danger will enjoy this book, since the author has dealt with this macabre and fascinating subject in an exhaustive and imaginative fashion. For the rest, Ellis touches upon the historical development of the line, its rolling stock, signalling, architectural and marine activities in a rather cursory manner; but enough to give a rudimentary portrait of the kind of line the Brighton was. All this is knit together by a richly entertaining profusion of anecdote, a wealth of information on train working, and some of the idiosyncrasies that helped to make it a railway of great distinction. That it also possessed a very powerful mystique (as the author suggests) is certainly true. E. L. Ahrons in his delightful and humorous account of the line as it was in the latter half of the nineteenth century, ascribes its popularity to two causes: one, that it passed through charming scenery and served the pleasure resorts of the South Coast, and secondly, that its engines were painted a striking yellow colour, were kept beautifully groomed, and almost all rejoiced in the possession of names. This is the crux of the matter, which when taken in conjunction with innumerable other incidental elements, forged the tradition which still lingers, even after a lapse of 40 years.
Nowhere was this tradition stronger than in the locomotive department, and some idea of what it meant to work for the Brighton in its heyday may be gleaned from a Cockney driver who was retired at New Cross Gate in 1946. Speaking of the time when Robert Billinton was in charge at Brighton, he said, "In them days when the driver was sick, the engine was sick," meaning that it went against the grain to use another man's engine in his absence ... except when a shortage of motive power made it imperativeand even then there were sure to be a few verbal fireworks when the aggrieved driver returned for duty! Recalling that the keener men liked to spend their Sunday mornings grooming their steeds before partaking of a midday pint, he affirmed with some pride, "that when we'd finished yer could get in an aht o' the motions wiv a white shirt onand never so much as a mark on it."
Similarly in Stroudley's day, such was the esteem in which the men held their chief that if, when he paid his weekly inspection visit to New Cross Gate, one of his engines was under repair and unsightly, minus a pair of wheels, the offending machine would be moved down to the sidings at Ballarat and placed under a tarpaulin, rather than hurt the Old Man's feelings! The tales of Stroudley's weekly visits to New Cross Gate were legion, and some of them were current 50 years after his death. One such tale recalls how, perceiving a young fitter hammering away at the motion with a piece of cold steel, Stroudley came up behind him and gently thrust a soft iron hammer into his hands, murmuring, "I like my engines treated kindly."
It is incidents such as this that make a railway unforgettable, not because they couldn't have happened elsewhere, but because they could never have happened in exactly the same way. All railways use men and roughly the same materials, just as do architects, but the results may be quite different. Therein lies the secret, the mystique-or whatever one may care to call it. The only way to discover this is to know one's subject, either at first hand, or by history or through the minds of others. Few living authors know more about the Brighton than Ellis, and whether the reader be the merest tyro or an informed connoisseur, this book will certainly add something to his understanding of a railway whose beautifully fashioned locomotives have achieved the kind of immortality that is usually reserved for works of art.
Although the author does not appear to mention it, the engine headcodes diagrams are complete only for the years 1910-17. Prior to 1910 several other boards were in use, and after 1917 only the plain white disc.
These diagrams occupy about 20 pages, and although they have their interest one feels that the space might have been put to better purpose. A chapter devoted to the locomotive depots or the more interesting junctions, together with a few plans, would certainly have helped to complete the picture in a manner acceptable to everyone. It is a mystery why this fascinating aspect of railways is almost invariably dealt with in the most superficial manner even by the most competent of authors, since it obviously forms an integral part of any mechanical history, . and also constitutes the one essential means whereby the operational basis of a railway can be clearly understood.
Printed Maps and Plans of Leeds,1711-1900. Compiled by Kenneth J.
Bonser and Harold Nichols. Leeds. The Thoresby Society, 16, Queen Square.
5t in. by 8t in. 148 pp. and 12 plates. Thin card covers. No price stated.
Maps and plans are second only to photographs in their value to urban historians as a means of reconstructing the scene. Railway and tramway students are always keenly interested in the detailed evidence provided by maps and no serious research worker will attempt a subject without study- ing all the available cartographical material. Those who specialise in Leeds will therefore be grateful for this catalogue of 374 maps and plans of the city and environs, painstakingly compiled by two members of the Thoresby Society, one of them being the Leeds Reference Librarian. Most of the items listed can be seen at the Leeds Reference Library and the Library also has photocopies of many of the others.
A plan published in 1815 is the first to show a railway; this, of course, is Brandling's Middleton Colliery Line. The next appearance is the Leeds & Selby Railway, opened in 1834 with a terminus in Marsh Lane. The 19th-century maps show many projected railways, including an 1864 plan (reproduced) for one central amalgamated station (a subject of topical interest!). Several schemes for railways to Roundhay Park, including an elevated monorail and a narrow- gauge line from Briggate, are men- tioned. A number of detailed tramway plans are available, including a City of Leeds Tramways Company plan of 1896 showing all the gradients, radii and feeders. The maps are listed in chronological order and each is dated and carefully described. Brief historical notes on personalities and items associated with the maps follow. Finally, there are two excellent indexes and the 12 plates, which are on art paper with almost perfect reproduction. A most useful reference work for the student of Yorkshire transport, providing scores of possible pointers to research, this book will also save him many hours of laborious enquiry and investigation.-A.A.J.
London's Underground, Henry F. Howson. London. lan Allan Ltd. 119
pp. Reviewed by A.A.J [Jackson]
To attempt to cover both the history and technical aspects of all the London Transport railways and the Waterloo & City Railway in a volume of this size is a formidable task indeed, and the author is to be con- pratulated on achieving a book which is both readable and useful as a work of reference. First published in 1951, Mr. Howson's book was popular, and quickly ran out of print. It has now been revised to incl ude recent developments such as the Bank " travolator " and the latest tube stock. The illustrations, mostly from official sources, are almost all new to this edition.
The most valuable chapters are those covering the technical side, rolling stock, operating, signalling and so on. Here Mr. Howson acknowledges help from the Technical Press Section of the L.T.E, a guarantee that the authenticity is pretty watertight. The historical sketches cover well-trodden ground and show no signs of original research; there is a certain lack of balancethe early history of the three Yerkes tubes is dismissed in a few lines.
It is pleasing, in such a moderately priced book, to find a small index, but there are no maps to help the stranger to London's geography. Occasional lapses are noticeable in the revision of the original textson page 46 we are still in 1949. An apoendix of dates of "Principal Events" is a useful feature but, although apparently compiled from the official chronologies, it contains a dozen inaccuracies and some notable omissions (the openings of the Bakerloo and Central extensions in particular are rather muddled). In the main text. on page 59, the date given is that of the first suspension of the Alexandra Palace service, not the final closure, as implied.
The production is of the high standard we now expect from this publisher, and the printing is well done on quality paper of the" whiter than white" variety. For those who have little or no acquaintance with the various semi-official histories, this book provides a fairly comprehensive outline of events, but it is to be mainly recommended as a conveniently arranged survey of London Transport railway practice, some aspects of which are covered in considerable detail. The description of tube construction with its pencil-pushed-in-clay analogy is one of the most lucid we have read.-.
Branch Line Index.
Mr. G. C. Lewthwaite has done a useful service to railway students and writers by compiling for the Branch Line Society as its Occasional Publication No. 1 this 16-page duplicated booklet, listing articles on branch lines which have appeared in Railuiav World, Trains Illustrated and The Railway Magazine up to the end of 1957. It will be equally valuable to the railway periodical editor who cannot recall on the spur of the moment when and where the Little Muddling branch was last described and consequently whether he is justified in accepting an article on it! Mr. Lewthwaite might well follow up this work with a list of branches which have not yet been described. It would be interesting to know how many there still are, and why authors have fought shy of them. The publication is obtainable from Mr. V. J. Ling, 6, Collis Street, Amblecote, Stourbridge, Worcs, price 3s. 6d.
A Wartime Midlands Branch (Cold Meece) . C.R. Clinker
May I supplement Mr. Oliver 's interesting article in your December issue by filling some of the gaps where the author says he has no information? When opened on 27 September 1939, the up line connection at Badnall Wharf was used only for handling contractors' material. A new signalbox was opened immediately on the Whitmore side of the old one on 3rd March, 1940. On the same date a goods reception line and island platform came into use. The first workpeople's service. one daily trip from and to Stafford. started the following day. A train from and to Silverdale, via Norton Bridge, commenced on 27 March; a third train. from Cobridge, was added on 8 July 1940. Swynnerton Junction signalbox was opened with a temporary connection to the single line, on 20th April, 1941. The branch to Cold Meece was connected up and ready for use on 3rd August. A single trip ran on 5 August with contractors' employees but regular workpeopJe's trains did not commence until 10 August, when the Potteries trains ceased to run to Badnall Wharf. I am not sure if Wedgwood Halt was " built" in 1938. but it opened on l January, 1940.
R. & E. Locomotives . Richard J. Appleton
I wish to point out a mistake in the caption relating to the photograph of River Esk at Irton Road Station on the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway, which appeared on page 348 of the November issue. It states that River Esk has the 4-6-2 wheel arrangement it hasn't! River Esk is a 2-8-2, the first 2·8-2 ever to run on a British railway. I suspect its history is familiar to most people. It was built in 1923 by Davey, Paxman & Co. Lrd., Colchester. and was designed by Henry Greenly. By 1927 the Lentz poppet valves which she was fitted with had proved themselves unsatisfactory and in that year she was rebuilt as an articulated locomotive using the Poultney system of propulsion with a driving chassis under the tender (this chassis is still in existence). The locomotive then became a 2-8-2+ 0-8-0, the rebuilding was carried out by the Yorkshire Engine Co. River Esk was still unsatisfactory. however, and she was subsequently rebuilt in her present form. There have been Pacifies on the R. & E.; Colossus, built by Bassett-Lowke, was placed in service in 1915, and Sir Aubrey Brocklebank, built by Hunt & Co. of Bournemouth, in 1919. Colossus originally belonged to Captain Howey, who later started the Rornney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway. Colossus, Sir Aubrey Brocklebank and Sans Pareil (a 4-4-2) finished their careers as another articulated locomotive, River Mite This locomotive was built at Ravenglass' in 1927 under the direction of the Engineer at that time, E. H. Wright. The boiler was supplied by the Yorkshire Engine Co. and the engine had a wheel arrangement of 4-6-0+0-6-4. It was withdrawn before the war as unsatisfactory in operation and I believe it was scrapped sometime after 1950.
Little-Known Railways in North-East France. E. K. Stretch. 76
May I draw your attention to one or two very minor errors in Mr. Davies' interesting article in the October, 1960, issue. Bruay has been incorrectly spelt Brouay throughout. On the map, the C.E.N.R.V. branch to St. Waast has been omitted. and so has the former steam tramway of the same company running northwards from St. Amand (to Hellemrnes-les-Lille, via Sainghin-en-Melantois (31 km.). It is not true that grooved tramway rail is used on the roadside portion of the Valenciennes system. Vignoles rail is used where the track is not actually in the carriageway. On the roadside portions, Vignoles rail (with check rail) is used even at level crossings.
George Carr Glyn. W.A. Parker
Re criticism of The London & North Western Railway, by O.S. Nock by your reviewer, "R.R.," in the October issue. Perhaps the reason why Mr. Nock vouchsafes George Carr Glyn no more than a single line is that he feels the gentleman to have been rather precocious. After all, however great one's devotion to the job in hand, it is going a little far, if one is a Baronet, to style oneself Baron anything, let alone a place the importance of Wolverton. He might just have got away with Baron Buzzard, though even that is doubtful, seeing what sticklers for precision these authors are; but Wolvertonno. never!
Stroudley tank engines. C. H. S. Owen
The article "Stroudley Tank Engines in the West Country" in the September, 1960, issue, deals admirably with those of the Southern Region. It is not, perhaps, generally realised that the G. W. acquired two of these engines in 1940 when it took over the Weston, Cleveland & Portishead Railway. In September, 1946, on a visit to Bristol, these locomotives were in store in St. Phillips Marsh Shed. In early 1950, No. 5 was sent to Newton Abbot as works pilot engine. The enclosed photo taken in March. 1960, shows No. 5 outside Newton Abbot Works completely Western- ised, with number plate and the G.W.R. monogram over the name plate. The " N" on the frame would appear to be a relic of "TN" as she was previously at Taunton for use at Bridgwater before being passed on to Newton as not suitable up there. ewton held her a mere three months and then sent her to Swindon where she was stored in the stock shed until withdrawal in 1954. The sister engine. No. 6, went to Swindon from Bristol and was withdrawn in 1948. None of this is really surprising knowing the Western conservatism and distrust of any- thing not built at Swindon.
An early railway photograph C.R. Clinker
Some 25 years ago I looked into the location of this photograph. The late E. T. MacDermot told me that A. C. W. Lowe had expressed the view that it was almos.t certainty taken at Swindon. If the photograph can, in fact, be dated as 1849, then it was not taken at Chippen- ham. Construction of a shed there was authorised by the directors in 1850 and completed in February, 1851, by Simcott of Bath. A detailed plan of the station in 1850 shows a turntable and " engine siding. JJ but no shed. I am tempted to think Fox Talbot's association with that part of Wiltshire has led to the belief that it was taken at Chippenham. Despite Chippenham being the starting point of Wilts. Somerset & Weymouth trains to Salisbury and Weymouth, the locomotives working this line were shedded at Trow- bridge in early years. Indeed. they were still kept there for some years after Chippenham possessed a shed. RUGBY
Ex-Easingwold coach. Noel Draycott,
Alan Williams in his interesting article on the Derwent Valley Light Railway refers to the ex-Easingwold coach at Cliff Common. The future of this vehicle is not uncertain as it is the property of the or th- West District of the R.P.S. It is tempor- arily stored on the D.V.L. until a suitable depot is found in its new "home area" of the north-west. We are anxious to get it moved as soon as possible so that restoration can start. and appeal for the assistance of railway enthusiasts in finding a site, preferably on a private siding in Lancashire.
L & N,W. "Georges". Norman Groves
On page 143 of his book The London & North Western Railway, O.S. Nock says apropos of the Chester & Holyhead section-c-" I shall always remember this line as the place where I last saw a North Western express engine in passenger service. It was at Corwen, in 1947, and the engine was a George the Fifth, Fire Queen:." This was impossible. There were only fou r survivors of the George the Fifth class in service in 1947, namely: Lord Loch, Ptarmigan, Snipe and an unnamed member of the class, which formerly carried the name India. Fire Queen, as LMS No. 25362, was withdrawn from service in December, 1936.
No. 251 (April 1961)
Blaenau Festiniog in late Victorian days. 110
Photograph: station with Festiniog Railway on left and GWR on right with 2-4-0T on passenger train.
Norman Harvey. Locomotive causerie. "Scots" and Pacifics of the West
Coast route. 111-15
Performance logs of No. 46228 hauling 550 tone between Rugby and Stafford nearly within even time driven by J. Munslow.
United Steel Comapny locomotives. F. Jux. 115
3ft gauge Peckett 0-4-0ST at Cottesmore ironstone quarries in Rutland.
Bennington Marsh. The L.&N.E. in Wales and the Wirral. 116-22.
Wrexham Mold & Connah's Quay Railway. The Manchester Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway provided the finance to cross the Dee with the Hawarden Bridge (illustrated). This was opened by Mrs Gladstone on 3 August 1889 This provided access to the steel works at Brymbo and the coalfield around Wrexham. The article includes notes on the unpopularity of the Sentinel railcars: No. 51913 Rival being especially disliked. Illustration of unidentified Sentinel railcar alongside Shotton Steelworks. Notes on locomotive stock at Wrexham which included ex-LDER 0-6-2T No, 6408 illustrated. In later days the class C13 4-4-2Ts were used and seemed to cope well with the steep climb to Wrexham.
The Stapleford Park Miniature Railway: a 10½ in.-gauge line on Lord Gretton's Estate in the East Midlands. 123-7.
J.P. Wilson. Milford Junction. 128-9.
Located where the York & North Midland crossed the Leeds & Selby between Sherburn-in-Elmet and Monk Fryston
Bygone days on the Festiniog Railway. 130-1
R.K. Evans. The Postlingbergbahn. 132
W.H. Bett. Ticket spotlight. 133.
LMS restricted hours weekly season ticket on dark red card issued on13 July 1935 for travel between St. Annes-on-Sea and Blackpool Central after 16.00 except Saturdays and Sundays (no restriction)
J.B. Snell. West from Alamosa. 134-9.
Robert Keys. North Staffs rail motors. 140-2
John R. Day. The Agudio locomotor. 143
D.H. Whitcombe. Monmouthshire memories. 144-6.
Difficulties experienced in operating the class of Beames' 0-8-4Ts.
R.M.S. Hall. North Eastern electric at Darlington. 146-7.
"Foreigners" on the South Eastern & Chatham Railway. 147
The former S.E. & C.R. enters into the City of London. 148.
Aerial photograph showing both Blackfriars and Cannon Street and Borogh Market Junction and Tate Modern generating pollution in its former role as Power Station
Number 254 (July 1961)
Norman Harvey. The "Baby Scot" 4-6-0s. Locomotive Causerie. 219-22.
Performance logs of rebuilt Patriot No. 45525 from Euston to Blisworth and of original condiyion No. 45520 between Shrewsbury and Hereford with seven coach train.
B.A. Haresnape. Light railway album No. 2. Petrol railbuses. 223
Photographs of Shefflex two car units (in reverse one towed the other) on Kent & East Sussex Railway and on West Sussex Railway.
Alan A. Jackson. Railway postcards. 224-5.
Refers to the postcard craze of 1900s. LNWR official were probably first to be issued by a railway company; coloured postcards printed by McCorquodale for SECR. F. Moore and the Locomotive Publishing Company; L. Pouteau.
Ralph Hall. Brusselton Incline. 226
Diagrams and plan
J.H. Lucking. The development of rail-sea facilities at Weymouth. Part 2. 227-32.
C.M.B. Atkinson. Darlington veterans renovated. 253.
Exhbits at Bank Top station: Locomotion No. 1 and Derwent moved to North Road Works
W.J.K. Davies. The twilight of the "Secondaires". Part 1. 234-9+.
Rise and decline of secondary metre gauge railways in France worked by steam icluding Mallet articulated locomotives and diesel railcars.
W.J.K. Davies. A typical French "Secondaire". 240.
Estrés-St. Denis to Froissy line with timetables for 1897, 1913, 1954 and 1960.
W.J.K. Davies. Light railway notes. 241-3.
3ft gauge 0-4-0ST Lord Granby: Hudswell Clarke WN 633/1902 supplied to Eastwell Iron Ore Company: moved back to Leeds for preservation and restoration of Bagnall 2ft 6in gauge 0-4-4-0T (twin bogie locomotive) on the Bowaters Lloyd papermill system at Sittingbourne. Other locomotives of the type were 2ft gauge: WN 25445/1936 built for the Illovo Sugar Estates in South Africa; WN 2545/1936 for the Crookes Bros sugar estate in Natal (Renishaw No. 5), two further built in 1953 for Sir J.R. Hulett & Sons for their Darnall and Felixton estates. They all had circular fireboxes with very long grates and shallow ashpans. Side and front elevation diagrams of Monarch and leading dimensions of all locomotives of this type.
Number 255 (August 1961)
Norman Harvey. Steam highlights on the East Coast Route. Locomotive
Performance logs of threee King's Cross to Peterborough runs: one where Driver Bill Hoole was experiencing injector failure and ran extremely fast so that there was time to switch engines (A1 No. 60157) and ones behind A2/2 No. 60502 and A4 No. 60015,
J. Spencer Gilks. Railway development at Yeovil. 256-62+
Article suffers from lack of clarity: the first railway to reach the outskirts of the town at Hendford was a broad gauge branch line from Taunton which opened on 1 October 1853. Another broad gauge line was open3ed by the GWR in 1856 as part of the Wilts, Somerset & Weymouth Railway: this opened in 1856. The most important link came on 1 June 1860 with the standard gauge line from Salisbury which was extended to Exeter on 13 July 1860. Yeovil Town station opened on 1 June 1860 with a connecting services to Yeovil Junction Yeovil Pen Mill: it has since closed.
Blakesley Hall Miniature Railway. 263+
Laid down by wealthy civil engineer Charles William Bartholemew: 15 inch gauge connected the Stratford-upon-Avon & Midland Junction Railway to the Hall in Northamptonshire. Locomotives supplied by Basset Lowke included a petrol-driven 4-4-4T Blacolvesley (photographs include one of a Railway Claub visit in 1914 with most members wearing straw boaters).
P. Winding. The French Pacific. Part 2 reconstruction. 264-7.
Involvement by André Chapelon in the improvement in the Paris-Orleans Pacifics starting in 1926.
The Upton-on-Severn branch. B.W.L. Brooksbank. 268.
Black & white photo-feature: Lemon 0-4-4T No. 41900 at Ashchurch on 8 August 1959; 57XX No. 7756 crossing empty Ross Spur Motorway in March 1961 (candidate for motorway closure?); Tewkesbury station exterior and with No. 7756 and Upton-on-Severn station with No. 7756.
N.M. Lera. The Hammersmith branch of the N.S.W.J.R. 269-71.
North & South Western Junction Railway 1¾ mile long branch: photograogs of former LNWR 0-8-0 No. 499164 shunting in Hammersmith & Chiswick yard below Stamford Brook London Transport line
James I.C. Boyd. The West Clare Railway. 272-6.
Diesel railcars and diesel locomotives
W.J.K. Davies. Light railway notes. 277-8.
Killybegs station and railcar No. 12 on turntable.
Book reviews. 279.
The railway policeman. J.R. Whitbread. Harrap. 268pp.