Volume 40 (1979)
Number 465 (January 1979)
Bernard Staite. The success of main line steam. 6-13.
D.H. Ward. 'Cumbrian Coast Express'. 14-17.
Murray Brown. They're raising steam at York. 18-22
Hugh Ballantyne. Steam in the sun. 23-9.
Chris Leigh. West Country stations. Part 3. 30-5.
'44155'. Absolute block working. 36-9.
New Books. 40
The LNER 2-6-0 Classes. John F. Clay and J. Cliffe, Ian Allan.
80pp + 24pp photos
The GWR mixed traffic 4-6-0 Classes. O.S. Nock. Ian AIlan. 96pp + 24pp photos. Reviewed Michael Harris
Two books with similar intentions cover a variety of workhorses of the LNER and GWR. Strangely, both have the same difficulty in giving readers a clear idea of the normal duties undertaken by mixed traffic locomotives and, certainly, in both cases some brief descriptions of typical diagrams would have helped to add a further dimension to the more general history. Messrs Cliffe and Clay do a competent job in tracing the development of the Gresley 'KI', 'K2' and 'K3' Moguls. The last mentioned kept hard at work until 1962 but, incidentally, were displaced on the Grimsby fish trains by 'Britannias', not '9Fs'. During the summer of 1962 the 'K3s' were still putting in appearances on the 16.10 Grimsby-Whitland fish but timekeeping was usually poor. The Peppercorn K1s still remain a little of an enigma, the reviewer recalling that he forsook one in 1959 at the head of a GE relief for a preceding Norwich train worked by a Brush Type 2. The authors' trump card is undoubtedly presentation of the diagram of the proposed post-war 'K6'. O. S. Nock, as ever methodically and clearly, works through the story of the 'Halls', Granges', 'Manors' and 'Counties'. Particularly interesting are the sections on the scientific testing of the 'Halls' and the transformation of the 'Manors' by Ell. Some relevant and concisely expressed details of locomotive performance are included, as one expects from this author. This helps to give some clue to the work of the mixed traffic 4-6-0s in the 1950s. Particularly relevant are Mr Nock's comments on the 'Counties'; still something of an enigma. One remembers them as the most vociferous of locomotives with that curious 'stamping' exhaust produced by the double chimney.
Number 466 (February 1979)
A Glasgow & South Western innocent abroad. David
L. Smith. 70-8.
Set out from Dalmellington on 5 August 1919 for Ayr (where he purchased The Railway Magazine); then for Dunragit (on a Stranraer train which had changed engines at Ayr, and then again at Girvan) where he changed onto the Portpatrick & Wigtownshire Joint Railways to travel to Newton Stewart where he changed for Whithorn (where he stayed overnight), thence back to Newton Stewart, changed for Castle Douglas where he changed for Kirkcudbright, returned to Dumfries (where he stayed the night) and returned home via Kilmarnock and Ayr. He was amazed at the double-headed train from Dunragit to Newton Stewart as it consisted of a CR Drummond 4-4-0 No. 69 with a GSWR 0-4-2 No. 268. The stock of the train was a similar mixture and the brake was the Westinghouse. The train on the Whithorn branch was mixed, and was extremely busy as the following day was the Whithorn Cattle Show. Illus.: GSWR Peter Drummond 4-4-0 No. 327 on stopping train; CR 13 class No. 1069; Smellie Wee Bogie No. 700 as LMS 14116; Stirling 0-4-2 No. 269 as LMS 17029; map; Smellie Big Bogie 14153; Garlieston station in 1937.
Naming the first LMS Pacifics. Mike Brooks.
Proposed names for Princess Royal (including names suggested by Public Relations Dept from Longfellow's Hiawatha, such as Minnehaha), and royal alternates to the ones actually used. Stanier's involvement in livery (correspondence with H.G. Ivatt at St Rollox concerning Caledonian blue) and with style of nameplate for 6220 Coronation. Also names proposed, but not used for Claughton and Prince of Wales classes: Liver and Cook were suggested for latter.
Number 469 (May 1979)
Alan A. Jackson. Brent Valley railcars Acton, Ealing and Greenford.
Steam and diesel railcars and steam auto trains
Number 470 (June 1979)
Bryan Rayner. Pioneer British ac electrification schemes. 282-8.
Midland Railway Lancaster-Morecambe-Heysham opened in 1908 with Railway generating its own electricity. In 1953 the line was used to demonstrate the suitability of high voltage electrification for British Railways, but the line was closed due to the usual British short-sighted approach to electric traction. Also describes the LBSCR high voltage electrification which grew rapidly but was equally rapidly displaced by low voltage third rail by the Southern Railway. Finally the British contribution via Metropolitan Vickers to Hungarian electrification using Koloman de Kando's system is mentioned.
Number 471 (July 1979)
Michael R. Bonavia. The Waterloo and City Railway. 344-9.
David Jackson and Owen Russell. Early days at Mottram yard.
(G.C. Section notebook). 350-4.
Recollections of former Mottram Yardmaster Charle Clough who died in late 1978 and had joined GCR. The yard was opened by the LNER in 1935 (a full description appeared in Rly Gaz., 1935 18 October). H. Ingham was the first yardmaster. Accideents were frequent in this gravity-worked yard.
Number 474 (October 1979)
David Jackson and Owen Russell. Pre war main lines expresses:
the last phase. (G.C. Section notebook). 506-12.
A1, A3 and V2 locomotives displaced the B17 class, and were stationed at Gorton and Neasden for through Manchester to Marylebone workings. Locomotives included No. 2558 Tracery and No. 4474 Victor Wild. The installation of 70ft turntables assisted this development. 500 ton trains of up to 14 coaches were being worked.
Graham Burtenshaw and Michael S. Welch. O.V.S. Bulleid's SR
loco-hauled coaches 2. 513-19.
Restaurant and kitchen cars for Bournemouth service; kiitchen and buttery cars (alias tavern cars) and Inspection sallon No. 100S with body manufactured from plywood and radial bearing bogies. It included eleven bedrooms. The body employed techniques from maritime design. The names of the tavern cars are included and there is a photograph of tavern car No. 7982 in carmine and cream livery with painted brickwork and "timber" ssupports, and inn sign. White Horse.
Peter R. Lemmey. The preservation scene in France. 520.