No. 477 (January)
Weaver, Rodney. Double Fairlie celebration. 6-15.
Centenary of first locomotive to be built by the Festiniog Railway in its own workshops at Boston Lodge: Mereddin Emrys and the entry into traffic of a new double Fairlie Earl of Merioneth. The dimensions of all Festiniog Fairlies are listted: Little Wonder, James Spooner, Taliesin, Mereddin Emrys, Livingston Thompson and Earl of Merioneth. One of the most interesting aspects of this account is that records of coal consumption recored in the 1880s are included, plus some of the few remaining records of the earliest pair of locomotives recorded in the 1870s..
Glenn, D. Fereday. Southern cross-country. 16-20.
Services from Brighton and Portsmouth to Bournemouth, Cardiff and Plymouth and the varied motive power employed to work them.
Jarvis, A.E. Untwisting the Lion's tale. 21-4.
Work on the preparation of a booklet on the locomotive Lion to mark the 150th anniversary of the Liverpool & Manchester Railway showed that an account of the "rescue" of the locomotive in 1927 as told in J. Stephenson Loco. Soc., 1957 (October) contains several errors, the most notable of which is that C.W. Reed is given an utterly disproportionate role in the preservation story. Reed was clearly a Strettonesque figure. Lion was one of two (the other being Tiger) locomotives constructed by Todd Kitson & Laird in 1838. In 1859 Lion was sold to the Mersey Docks & Harbour Board and used to power a pump. Jarvis both shows the true moving forces in the preservation of the locomotive and dismisses any suggestion that Lion was about to be scrapped. The real moving force to preserve Lion came from the Liverpool Engineering Society and notably from Sterry B. Freeman and Richard Holt, both of whom were involved in Liverpool shipping (Holt was also chairman of the Mersey Docks & Harbour Board). The role of William M. Fletcher was especially energetic in the activities of the Old Locomotive Committee..
No. 478 (February)
Peter F. Winding. Historic locomotive depots: Longhedge. 620-70.
Opened by the London, Chatham & Dover Railway in Battersea as its main locomotive works and depot. The buildings were designed by Joseph Cubitt and may have reflected practice at Wolverton. They were constructed by Peto & Betts. The works opened in about 1862. The original depot was a roundhouse, but Kirtley replaced this by sixteen road straight road shed in 1881. In 1934 the Southern Railway closed the Brighton's Battersea Park engine shed and concentrated activity at what was known as Stewarts Lane. It is the depot which Richard Hardy managed and described in Steam in the blood. Lists locomotives built at Longhedge and locomotives stationed there including the rather exotic crane tank 0-4-0CT No. 1302 (photographed by author in 1947) when used to shunt Co-op milk siding. Also includes drawings by the author and several plans.
David Jackson and Owen Russell. Eason's Specials ex-Cleethorpes: G.C.
Section notebook. 73-7.
Regular trains from North Lincolnshire to King's Cross ran on thursdays and Saturdays through the cooperation of J.W. Eason, a travel agent in Grimsby and the Great Northern Railway, later the LNER. The return workings left London at about midnight, but the up trains were photographed: Great Central 4-6-0s were th normal motive power. Photographs show classes B7 and B3 on up excursions.
C.R.P. Ridgway. The Severn Valley Railway: locomotive maintenance at Bridgnorth. 78-83.
Colour quartet. 84-5.
Colour-Rail colour photo-feature: West Country No. 34027 in malachite green on down Golden Arrow at Victotora in April 1949 (J.M. Jarvis); Prince of Wales 4-6-0 No. 25648 Queen of the Belgians at Birmingham New Street in 1938; N15 No. 742 Camelot at Oxford in April 1939; B3 No. 6166 Earl Haig at Aylesbury in December 1938
A.G.S. Davies. Steam and diesel on the Cornish main line. 86-90.
Some very fast short runs including one reckless run down the hill to Par from St. Austell behind a County class 4-6-0.
No. 485 (September 1980)
Derek Cross. The 'Twins' and the 'Squib' 462-6.
Former Caledonian Railway 0-6-0s worked as pairs on the difficult coal train workings for Polquhairn and Littlemill collieries on the Ayrshire coalfield from Falkland Junction (Ayr) via Rankinston: tjis was known as The Twins. The Squib was often perfomed by a diesel shunter, but in the fianl days of steam was sometimes rorked by a Standard class 2 2-6-0 No. 78051. The Squib included shunting at Greenan Sidings and Alloway sidings on the remains of the Maidens & Dunure Light Railway and the branch to Glengall Hospital.
Angel Ferre. The twilight of steam on the Argentine Railways. 467-71.
Peter King. Reporting the Duke's progress. 472-3
Restoration of No. 71000 Duke of Gloucester including new Kylchap blastpipe
Keith Beck. 'West to North and North to West'. 474-80.
New Books.. 481
Coloured views on the Liverpool and Machester Railway.
T.T. Bury. Introduction by George Ottley. Hugh Broadbent. 17pp
+ 16 coloured plates
Facsimile reprint of very high quality
LNWR 'Coal Tanks'. G. Hayes.
The account of the restoration of LNWR 'Coal Tank' No 1054 has revived many memories of these locomotives during the 1930s and 40s when writer knew them well in the Manchester and North Wales areas. Having driven them unofficially from time to time he could vouch for the feeble brakes. In the rough and tumble of everyday work the brakes varied from very poor to completely useless. How these locomotives could ever work an unbraked goods train must remain a mystery. Even the handbrakes had little power. No 27654, a non-auto fitted engine, was used occasionally to shunt Rhyl goods yard. From personal experience it had rather better brakes than most.
Despite flimsy construction, the 'Coal Tanks' had a remarkably long and hard working life, as indeed did all of the Webb six-coupled simple goods classes. During the period in which he knew them much of the branch passenger work in North Wales was in their hands including the Holywell, Denbigh and Blaenau Ffestiniog lines. Plodder Lane mpd, Bolton, had a sizeable allocation, including No 1054, then LMS No 7799, for the Manchester, Leigh and Kenyon Junction services. Some fearsome gradients were involved, 1 in 27 on the Holywell branch and on the Manchester-Bolton services four coaches were regularly worked on the I in 60/62 from Roe Green Junction. Starting away from stations on this gradient was by pulling the regulator handle in two heaves right across the quadrant. He never saw one slip! A regular working during the 1940s was the 15.08 Manchester Exchange-Wigan stopper. For a time the Saturday afternoon working was combined with ecs and could load to eleven bogie vehicles. Getting away from Worsley on the 1 in 114 with a considerable curve approaching Roe Green Junction was an inspiring sight and sound. Even more stirring in the same locality was the occasion when one of the class appeared in full cry working the combined Manchester-Barrow/Glasgow train, loaded to eleven bogies.
Plodder Lane shed, Bolton was often the butt of humorous comment from local railway staff and he had heard the 'Coal Tanks' referred to as 'Plodder Lane Claughtons' - a joke which must have dated back to about 1913.
Hatfield. J.E. Brandon
I read with great interest the article on Hatfield (April) as until 1965, I lived in a railway house overlooking the down yard. The building of the Great Northern Railway entailed use of the Marquis of Salisbury's land for nearly two miles south of the town. At that time the Great North Road (now the A 1000) ran through his estate. When the railway was built a new road was also built alongside, together with a boundary wall for Lord Salisbury. What is now the main gate to Hatfield House was built at the same time as the railway and entailed the construction of a viaduct across a small valley between the station and the House; this entrance did not exist before the railway.
The waiting room shown in the photograph on page 174 was known as the Royal Waiting Room, owing to its use by Queen Victoria. It was used as a signalling school well into the 1960s. The observant reader may have noticed that the footbridge shown on pages 179/ 80, although in the same position, is of three different designs. The left-hand span on page 179 was demolished by a derailed freight train in the early 1960s and was replaced by that shown at the bottom of page 180. During rationalisation in 1972/3 the whole structure was replaced by the bridge shown in the upper photograph on page 180. This is not, incidentally, the station footbridge, but a public one not connected to the platforms.
Mr Neve is, I regret to say, wrong when he states that the platforms are now opposite each other and serve the slow lines only. They are in almost the same positions as before 1973 and serve the up slow, down fast and down slow lines. However, during the reconstruction a temporary down platform was provided opposite the up platform. The photograph on page 177 is not at Hadley Wood but at Greenwood, about half a mile to the south; Hadley Wood station had, until 1958, only one running line in each direction
Number 487 (November)
Brookman, James. Gresley's mainline diesel.
Proposal to convert the Shildon-Newport Bo-Bo electric locomotives into diesel electric locomotives developed by Gresley in association with English Electric, suppliers of the original electric locomotives and William Beardmore proposed manufacturers of the diesel engines. This is a thorough examination, including Gresley's detailed reports to the Locomotive Committee and the LNER Board in the late 1920s: includes assessment as motive power on Peterborough (New England) to Ferme Park coal trains..