Volume 48 (1987)
Number 565 (May)
Townsley, D. End of an era: Hunslet's locomotive production, 1949-71. Part 1. 277-80.
Jackson, David. Robinson's elegant Atlantics.
Considered the three-cylinder compounds to be the cream of the type. Considers the influence of J.M. Smith of the NER and his son, J.W. Smith of Derby on the design. Considers that William Thorneley, Chief Draughtsman and Works Manager, was a major infuence. Illustrations include a reproduction of a V. Welch painting of No. 364 Lady Henderson as decorated for a Royal working.
Issue Number. 566 (June)
Rowland, Don. Dragonfly days: the 50th anniversary of the 'Coronation
Scot' (the essence of LMS). 326-9.
Calls the A4 opne of the ugliest locomotives ever to run in the British Isles: thus the approach is canted, but does suggest that the economics of the Coronation Scot were unsound (that is in teerms ofr receipts), but that publicity value (presumably to counter LNER) was jusifiable. Makes much of Railway Air Services.
Holden, Bryan. Dobbin's Yard, Halifax - tribute to the railway horse.
Nationaql Museum of the Working Horse.
Bennett, Alan. The Falmouth branch. 340-4.
Main line to Falmouth opened by the Cornwall Railway on 24 August 1863. The engineer was R.P. Brereton. The line was originally broad gauge.
Horton, Philip. The Banbury link: a short history of some Great Central cross-country services. 1. 345-50.
Dunbar, Alan G. The Caledonian '300' 0-6-0s.
Built in 1917 to replace 25 locomotives on loan. It was stipulated that these must be fitted with steel fireboxes, and 12 locomotives were constructed in accordance with the instruction, but the remainder had copper fireboxes and all the steel fireboxes had been replaced by the end of 1922. Cold water washing out was the cause of the failure ofr the steel fireboxes.Although supplied with piston valves the locomotives were supplied with saturated boilers, but later superheated. With order No. Y123 the piston valves were replaced by overhead slide valves, similar to those used by Pickersgill on the GNoSR. Up to 1936 all locomotives were fitted with wide Schmidt-type rings, but between 1936 and 1940 these were replaced by four rings.
Number 568 (June)?
Powell, A.J. The Armstrong Whitworth 'black fives'.
1462 steam locomotives were built at Scotswood from 1919, One hundred locomotives (Works numbers 1166-1265) 5125-5224 cost £5375 each. A further 227 with sloping throat plates (WN 1280-1506) 5225-5451 cost £6244 each. 4500 tons of castings were manufactured in Letchworth. Frame cracking was a problem..
Number ? (July)
Townsley, D. End of an era: Hunslet's locomotive production, 1949-71. Part 2. 413-16.
Number 569 (September 1987)
Rose, R.E. The Midland 0-6-4Ts: sinners or sinned
Partly personal memories of this class of locomotive, sometimes known as "Flat-irons". The class had a major propensity for derailing: the most notorious was the fatal accident to the Lincoln to Tamworth mail train on 6 June 1928. The locomotive spread the track at Swinderby and derailed at 55/60 mile/h. On 25 February and 20 March 1935 at Ashton-under-Hill and Moira respectively there were further derailments due to poor track and excessive speed. As a consquence of the Ashton derailment Colonel Mount rode on No, 2011 with Colonel Rudgard on good track, but oscillations developed. At the Moira derailment it was obvious that the track was being damaged by the locomotives.
How not to close a railway. A.J. Mullay.
In 1925 the LNER decided to withdraw its passenger service to Granton. This also involved the closure of the station at Trinity used by fishwives and their wares. It involved negotiations with the LMS as fish traffic at Granton was shared between the two railways. Closure was instigated by J. Calder, the General Manager (Scotland) who checked the legal position with the Scottish Solicitor, T.B. Maitland. Ten days notice of closure was given to the public and this caused an outcry in the press and reached the ears of Captain Wedgwood Benn, the Liberal MP for Leith, and the LNER through its Passenger Manager Stemp and Strang, the Superintendent were required to provide statistical evidence to the Ministry of Transport to justify closure, which they did.
Neve, Eric. The last LNER luxury expresses
the 'West Riding Limited' and the 'East Anglian'. 614-17.
Includes logs of runs
The 'whitewash' coach - a unique vehicle.
Originated as "70ft" brake clerestory GWR 2400 (lot 1005 D39) became test vehicle for both bogies and track before World War I. Whitewash first deposited 12 December 1927. Toplight 2360 took over task on 1930-01-20 and became automated whitewash coach: vehicle adapted for new role. During British Railways vehicle ran on GC and Southern routes as well as Western Region. Renumbered 139. B4 bogies fitted in 1980.