Volume 50 (1989)
Number 586 (February 1989)
Alan Wilkinson. No time lost on the Sheffield... (Carlisle Kingmoor
MPD in 1958). 84-8
"Some very heavy passenger trains, and not enough large locomotives to work them with tyhe need for asistant engines and changed diagrams occurring frequently. There ewere many more freight and trip workings than today, and also a higher level of failures than many steam enthusiasts would happily admit to." The "Sheffield" was the overnight St Pancras to Edinburgh Waverley worked to Carlisle by Millhouses men who took a Holbaeck locomotive over at Leeds: a close watch was kept on this working to avois accusations of late running by the Scottish Region.
Robert Adley. Road to Damascus. 100-1
Saddam Hussein arranged that Mr Atta Atta should show him some of the steam locomotives working in Iraq.
Eric Neve. How they ran in 1988. East Coast and Midland Line
East Coast traffic survey Welwyn North 14 July 1988. 109-12.
Midland Line and Thameslink traffic survey St Albans 18 August 1988. 113
Number 587 (March 1989)
Ian Johnson. Ken Hoole a tribute. 153.
Iain Sutherland. Caledonian Railway 4-2-2 No. 123 (Elegant engines). 155-9
Number 588 (April 1989)
Alan Earnshaw. A bad Good Friday. 210-12.
Collision at Huddersfield on 21 April 1905 between a LNWR Bill Bailey Class A 4-6-0 No.610 performing a shunting operation and an L&YR 2-4-2T No. 664 hauling an incoming passenger train which suffered badly in the accident with telescoping and over-riding of the coaches. There were deaths and serious injuries to the passengers and the driver of the 4-6-0 was at fault for not oberving the signals, in this case a ground level shunting signal. Colonel Druitt inspected for the Board of Trade. Two illustrations of damaged vehicles.
Number 589 (May 1989)
Handel Kardas and Chris Leigh. 'Elegant engines: the Jersey
Robinson classes 8B and 8C: former were 4-4-2 A6tlantics Nos. 192-4 and latter 4-6-0 Nos. 195-6: all built by Beyer Peacock and all shared shallow firebox. The nickname was derived from Lily Langtry. Includes Gorton painting instructions issued April 1905 to North British Locomotive Company.
Bryan Holden.. Focus on the photographer. 233-6
George Smith, then 89 years old, had been the Chief Photographer at Swindon and had met Churchward and Collett. His work extended beyond the official photographs of locomotives in photographic grey before the adoption of panchromatic film to taking photographs for carriage panels and Holiday Haunts. After military service during WW1 and a brief period in an estate agent's office he joined the drawing office staff at Swindon and became Chief Photographer in 1924. Illustrations to the article include some of his work: inside Swindon A shop in March 1925; Star class No. 4038 Queen Berengaria in photographic grey;; third class dining car interior 1934; ship's propeller on special wagon; Kennneth Leech with George Smith in October 1987; and Richard Potts (artist and HST driver) with painting of No. 4901 Adderley Hall; and Kenneth Leech photograph of No. 4901 Adderley Hall taken in September 1958.
David N. Clough. Modern traction performance: the Class 33s. 237-41.
On the South Western Section of the Southern Region including push & pull operation with TC units between Bournemouth and Weymouth and between Salisbury and Exeter.
R.G. Chapman. An Irish double anniversary. Part 2.
Part 1 see page 744 of previous Volume
Number 592 (August 1989)
Chris Leigh. Return to Northiam. 460-4.
Kent & East Sussex Railway preserved railway progress on restoration.
Michael Fox. Trans-Pennine: history of a passenger service. 465-9.
Number 594 (October 1989)
Bert Hooker. The 'Belles' of Nine Elms. 589-93.
Firing the Bournemouth Belle and Devon Belle. See also letter from Eric Youldon in Volume 51 page 107..
Number 595 (November 1989)
Handel Kardas and Chris Leigh. 'Elegant engines:
The 'Claud Hamiltons'. 668-73.
Introduced by James Holden in 1900 Great Eastern Railway 4-4-0 No. 1900 Claud Hamilton. From 1904 new lcomotives were fitted with Belpaire fireboxes and larger boilers, but the good appearance remained. The LNER gradually removed many of the decorative features, notably the valences over the coupled wheels and fitted them with round-top fitreboxes. The Royal Clauds used on services to Sandringham were maintained to a very standard until WW2. See also long letter from Lyn D. Brooks in Volume 51 page 107.