Locomotive Magazine Volume 7
Number 73 (January 1902)
New L. & S.W.R. locomotives. 1, 2 + folding coloured
plate. illustration, diagram (side elevation)
Photograph shows No. 343 (with six wheel tender), F. Moore plate shows No. 310 with bogie tender. Diagram shows bogie tender. All have Drummond cross water tubes. More info see next Issue p. 17..
L. & N.W.R. engines. 1
Eight four-cylinder compound goods engines, Nos. 1881-1888 were at work between Crewe and Carlisle and Crewe and Abergavenny
G.N.R. engines. 1
Five standard 0-6-0ST saddle tanks had been completed at Doncaster Works: Nos. 1251-1255: they differed slightly in having ventilators along a raised deck to the cab roof.
Rebuilt express engine, G.N. of S.R. 2.
W. Pickersgill rebuild of Cowan? outside cyliinder 4-4-0
The locomotive history of the London, Chatham & Dover
Ry. 3-4. 3 diagrams (side elevations)
Martley 0-6-0 supplied R. & W. Hawthorn & Co. in July 1860, identical to ones supplied to Blyth & Tyne Railway. Hercules (WN 971) and Ajax (WN 973). They had 4ft 6in coupled wheels and 16 x 24in cylinders. Two outside cylinder 4-4-0 came from the same manufacturer: AEolus and Bacchus and were followed in 1861 by Vulcan and Comus. These had been ordered by a South American Railway and were painted yellow. See letter from F.S.H. on page 32.
Great Central Locomotives. 4
Five standard six-coupled goods engines had left Gorton Works, Nos. 98 to 101 and 103. These engines were of the 74 class, and had 18½-in. cylinders and 5-ft. wheels; the tenders had a water capacity of 3000 gallons. They were painted black, lined out with red and white lines, and have oblong number plates. The old engines bearing these numbers had been broken up. The No. 561 class, Parker's single framed four-coupled bogie expresses, were all being fitted with extended smokeboxes and new chimneys. They were also being lined in the new style for passenger engines on the G. C. R., viz., a thin white line in place of the previous broad yellow one. Nos. 565, 566 and 704 wwere already out thus treated. Several of Sacre's old double framed bogie passenger engines had been rebuilt with new boilers, extended smokeboxes and new chimneys, including No 426, 429, 434, 435 and 444. Two of the old 7-ft. 6-in. singles, Nos. 107 and 112, had also been rebuilt with new boilers, new chimneys, and extended smokeboxes of the cylindrical type. These engines were also being repainted and lined in the new style. Nos. 159 and 170, old six wheeled four-coupled double framed passenger tender engines, had been rebuilt with flush top boilers pitched higher, and fitted with injectors on the firebox fronts.
The engine used on the Canadian Pacific Royal Train illustrated in our December Issue was of the ten wheeled four-coupled type, and not as there stated.
N.E R. eight coupled goods engines. 4
Another enjrine of the T class had left the Gateshead Works; No. 2I22.
The "Perfection" Sight Feed Lubricator. 4. diagram
The lubricator was automatic and certain in action, with a visible feed easily and accurately adjusted. It supplied lubrication exactly jin accordance with the speed at which the engine was running, the oil being perfectly atomized and freely distributed amongst the steam. ~ These lubricators were used on the express locomotives of the Austrian and Hungarian State Rys., and were heing introduced into Britain by Klein Bros., of Vienna
The locomotives of the London and India Dock Co. 5-6. 5
Three ex-LNWR 2-4-0T engines, Nos. 1819, 1927 and 1911 which were obtained in 1881, numbered 5-7 in the Dock Co's list. They had originated as Northern Division tender locomotives: 238 President, 250 John O' Gaunt and 431 Hercules. They had outside 15 x 20in cylinders and 5ft coupled wheels. They were painted green with black bands and yellow lines and lettered Royal Albert Dock and used on passenger services between Custom House and Gallions until 30 June 1896 when the Great Eastern took over the service and the old locomotives were scrapped. Two Lucas & Aird locomotives used in the construction of the Royal Albert Dock were, after the works were completed, stored in a wooden shed which was destroyed by fire in 1880. One of the locomotives Chelsea only worked for a short time after the fire, but the other was purchased by the Dock Co. in 1881 and was extensively repaired under the engineer Adamson and ran until 1898. The earlier history of this locomotive appeared to have been lost, but it as employed by G. Wise, a contractor on the construction of Millwall Docks, then on the harbour works at Sharpness. It was then acquired by Lucas & Aird and worked on aa Portsmouth Harbour extension and whilst there was fitted with a new crank axle by the LBSCR in 1875. After which it was brought to London to work on the construction of the Albert Dock (Fig. 4 shows it in this state). No. 8 was usually known as Long Wind and as the most powerful locomotive owned by the Dock Co. at this period. Nos. 11, 12 and 13 were purchased secondhand from Liverpool. They were Fox, Walker & Co, products of 1872, 1873 and 1875 and had 3ft 6in wheels, 13 x 20in cylinders and worked at 120 psi. No. 12 illustrated in Fig. 5. No. 14 was a 0-4-0ST with 3ft 3in diameter disc wheels supplied by the Yorkshire Engine Co. WN 284/1876 (Fig. 6). Fig. 7 shows a very small 0-4-0ST with 2ft 6in wheels and 9 x 15in cylnders bult by the Falcon Engine Works at Loughborough in 1884.
New Midland engines. 6
4-4-0 Nos. 2781 and 2782 with Belpaire boilers put into service
The brakes. 7-8.
An improved Westinghouse air pump. 7-8. diagram
The locomotives of the G.E.R. 8. diagram (side elevation)
In December 1841 Stothert & Slaughter of Bristol delivered two four-coupled goods engines of the 2-4-0 type with inside cylinders and outside bearings and weere probably identical to Nos, 143 and 144 (post change of gauge) subsequently renumbered 218 and 219. In readiness for the opening of the main line to Colchester nine Bury & Co. 2-2-0 were purchased which were sllightly larger than earlier purchases. They had 5ft 6in driving wheels and 14 x 18in cylinders. Probable original numbers 18 to 26! (KPJ one appears to be missing). In Gooch period received Nos. 118, 119, 121, 122, 123, 125, 126, 127 and 128. Most were scrapped under Sinclair except No. 119 placed on a pedestal at the entrance to Stratford Works, but scrapped by Johnson..
A novel buffer beam. 8. diagram
Fitted to NER 0-8-0 No. 2121 tthe wood packing between the plates was cut away to permit a degree of elasticity when striking heavy trains.
Midland Railway appointments. 8
R.M. Deeley appointed locomotive works manager at Derby in succession to J. Lane and Cecil Paget appointed as assistant manager. Both Deeley and Paget had sttudied locomotive workshop practice in America.
A novel model locomotive. 9. illustration
E. Siddall of Shefffield 4-4-0 scale 3/8 inch to foot
The Southwold Railway and its locomotives. J.A.K..
Nos. 1 Southwold, 2 Halesworth and 3 Blyth. Manufactured by Sharp Stewart. 2ft 6in coupled wheels, 8 x 14in cylinders. 140 psi boiler pressure
Twelve wheeled tank engines for France. 10
Old locomotive, St Helens Railway. 11. illustration
Clyde: 0-4-2 with bar frames supplied in 1850: 15 x 20in cylinders; 4ft 6in coupled wheels
Early Stockton & Darlington locomotives. 11. illustration
Photograph from John Kitching who lived at Branksome Hall, Darlington: No. 33 Shildon: one of six Bouch 0-6-0 type with steeply inclined cylinders.
Locomotive boiler making. 12-13. diagram
Compound express engines, Midland Ry. 13
The carriage & wagon department. 14-15
Turkish passenger cars. 14-15. 2 illustrations, diagram (side &
end elevations & plan).
Built by Ringhoffer of Smichow for inernational trains between Constantinople and Vienna
Number 74 (February 1902)
Express engines. Furness Ry. 17. illustration
W.F. Pettigrew 4-4-0 built by Sharp, Stewartv & Co., Glasgow with18 x 26in inside cylinders; 6ft 6in coupled wheels; 1270.5ft2 total heating surface; 18ft2 grate area and 160 psi boiler pressure. Coupled wheels fitted with compensating levers. Designed to work ovder heavy (1 in 63) gradients and sharp curves.
L. & N.W.R. engines. 17.
A batch of 0-4-2T with Bissel trucks and square saddle tanks was produced in 1901/2: WN 4175-84; RN 3524-33
L. & S.W.R. engines. 17.
See page 1: emphasises that water tube boiler was designed by Drummond; also mentions patent spark preventer and fuel economiser (fitted to over 300 engines "giving good results"). No. 773, the four-coupled express engine exhibited at Glasgow by Dubs & Co. was then at work. No.342, a Beyer Peacock goods engine of 1876, had been transferred to duplicate list.
G.E.R. engines. 17
Batch with RN 1180-9: 1189 first to be built with a Belpaire firebox
The B.G. engines of the Great Western Ry. 18-19.
diagram (side elevation), 2 tables
Performance in terms of speed, water and coke consumption on express trains between Paddington and Swindon in August-September 1847 and between Paddington and Bristol in March-April 1849. Corsair illustrated: 4-4-0ST.
G.W.R. West of England Night Mail trains. 19
From 1 January Post Office train departed Paddington at 21.05 and arrived at Penzance 06.45 and the passenger train departed Paddington at 22.00 and arrrived Penzance at 07.30. The Up trains left Penzance at 16.50 (passenger) and 18.00 (Post Office) and arrived at Paddington at 04.50 (passenger) and 03.50 (Post Office)
Double end bogie tank loco. Northern Ry. of France. 19-20. illustration,
diagram (side & front elevations)
Du Bousquet 4-4-4T with duplicate controls in the cab and side tanks hinged to provide access to firebox.
Midland engines. 20.
Twenty new 0-6-0 running numbers 2661-80 had been delivered from Sharp Stewart: 24 out of an order for 60 had been delivered from Neilson, Reid, Nos. 2681-2704. No,. 2783 was a new Belpaire 4-4-0 from Derby Works.
The Centenary of the locomotive engine. 21. illustrations
Richard Trevithick and Andrew Vivian ran a locomotive from John Tyack's worshop where it was built up the road towars Beacon Hill in Camborne, Cornwall on Christmas Eve 1801. To celebrate this a procession of twelve traction engines ran along the rouute on 24 December 1901.
Tender water gauge. 22. 2 diagrams.
Monarch Controller Co. Ltd.
Patent tube beader. 22. diagram
J. Gibb & Co. Ltd.
Our Supplement. 22 + folding plate insert
Detailed sectionalised elevations of Stirling 4-2-2 for Great Northern Railway Nos. 1003-8
North Eastern engines, 22
T class 0-8-0 No. 2123 wsa ex-works at Gateshead where a further ten were being built. No. 2123 had flat valves and steam reversing gear. No. 66, Wilson Worsdell's personal locomotive was being rebuilt with a trailing bogie and a leading pair of wheels
The brakes. 23-4.
Repairs, etc. to an air pump.
G.W.R. locomotives. 24
No. 2653 was latest 2622 class into service. A large bogie 4-6-0 with 6ft 6in coupled wheels, 18 x 30in outside cylinders and Belpaire firebox "would shortly be running".
L. & Y. R. mineral engines. 25.
0-8-0 Nos. 59, 69, 91, 154, 159, 190, 201. 325, 381. 383, 384, 390, 392. 395, 405, 406, 407, 411, 433, 443, 448, 463, 500, 511, 611, 635, 659, 666, 676, 687, 695, 704, 706, 709, 717, 736, 738 and 743 had been placed in service: No. 717 was the latest and had been fitted for indicating,.
G.N.R. locomotives. 25.
Further ten 0-6-0ST ex-Doncaster Nos. 1256-65.
Great Central engines. 25
Twelve 0-6-0 Neilson Reid Nos. 985-96. Two goods engines of 74 class had been completed at Gorton Nos. 116 and 117: these were fitted with grass safety valve pillars and steam brakes.
Leadhills and Wanlockhead Light Railway. 26-7. 2
Caledonian Railway: first section to Leadhills opened including viaduct across Risping Cleuch. Worked by 0-4-4T.
Compressed air locomotive, Western Ry of France. 27. illustration
Rebuilt express engine, G.W.R. 28. illustration
Locomotive illustrated No. 16 Brunel (4-4-0 with domeless Belpaire boiler. Began as broad gauge Swindon WN 1116 of June 1888 with 7ft coupled wheels, 20 x 24in cylinders and and a single leading axle. In 1894 it was cenverted to standard gauge, fitted with a leading bogie and 20 x 26in cylinders and given the name Brunel.
New compound express engine, Midland Railway. 28. diagram (side elevation)
No. 2631: S.W. Johnson three-cylinder 4-4-0 with 7ft coupled wheels and bogie tender
Locomotive boiler making. 29-30. diagram
The carriage & wagon department. 31
Railway carriage & wagon construction, Part 10. 31. 3 diagrams.
Cyclone dust extraction
30-ton wagon, L. & Y. R. 32. . illustration
Bogie wagon designed H.A. Hoy.
Locomotive history of the London, Chatham and Dover Railway.
AEolus, Bacchus, Vulcan and Comus. built by Robert Stephenson & Co. and were soonb converted into saddle tank engines as well as Ajax and Hercules. The six engines of the Onyx class were converted into sside tanks in about 1867.
Number 75 (March 1902)
New goods locomotive, G.E.R. 33. illustration
Holden 0-6-0 No. 1189 with different boiler from 1150 class.
Early Stockton & Darlington locomotives. 34. 2 illustrations
No. 1036 (formerly No. 35 Commerce) and 1066 (formerly No.66 Priam) illustrated
Eight-coupled four cylinder compound coal engine, L. & N.W.R.
35. illustration, diagram (side elevation)
Webb 0-8-0 No. 1881 shown in drawing and possibly in photograph
Some locomotive experiments. 36-7. 5 diagrams
Taking indicator measurements and interpreting them
The locomotives of the London and India Docks Co. 38-9. 4 illustrations
The Mallaig Extension of the West Highland Ry. 40-1. illustration
Gun truck armoured train. 47. illustration
For use in South Africa
Number 76 (April 1902)
Six-coupled goods engines, L.B. & S.C.R. 49. illustration.
R.J. Billinton 0-6-0 supplied by Vulcan Foundry Ltd.. No. 444 illustrated (from 1893/4 batch of twenty). Further batch of 35 Nos. 521-555 had been completed. 5ft coupled wheels, 18 x 26in cylinders. Second batch had Furness lubricators
[Death of Alf Cooke]. 49
Printer of colour plates: died in Leeds on 23 March 1902.
G.W.R. engines. 49
Twenty No. 11 class under construction at Swindon. No. 100, new 4-6-0, fitted with vacuum brake with brake blocks on all the wheels including the bogie.
L. & S.W.R. engines. 49
Nos. 344, 345 and 347, new mixed traffic engines, had been turned out from Nine Elms Works. Nos 393 and 394, Beyer Peacock goods engines of 1880 had been transferred to duplicate list.
L. & N.W.R. engines for Ireland. 49
Six 4ft 6in four-coupled double end side tanks (2-4-2T) had been transferred to the Dundalk, Newry & Greenore Railway.
The Patent Exhaust Steam Injector Co. Ltd. 49
Changed name to Davies & Metcalfe Ltd.
The Royal visit to Devonshire. 50-1. 2 illustrations,
Paddington to Kingswear on 7 March 1902 and Plymouth Millbay to Paddington on 10 March 1902. Locomotive No. 3374 Britannia (named for occasion) driven by Burden on both main legs. No. 3357 Royal Sovereign (specially named) took the Royal Train forward to Plymouth driven by Driver Uren.
Tank engine, Timoleague and Courtmacsherry Ry. 51. illustration
Argadeen 2-6-0T supplied by Hunslet Engine Co. WN 611/1894; painted black
Rebuilt Crampton single, C. de F. de l'Est. 52 + plate on page 
Salomon rebuild in 1889
Cycle inspection car. 52. illustration
Machine illustrated had seats for two to power the machine plus a third for an observer. It had corrugated rubber tyres and was on the Belfast & Northern Counties Railway.
The locomotives of the East and West Junction Ry. 53-4. 3
Manning Wardle 0-6-0ST No. 1 as rebuilt in 1896 with new boiler and cylinders (illustrated); No. 2 (illustratrated) waas an outside frame 0-6-0 Beyer Peacock 0-6-0 WN 1919/1880 with 4ft 6in coupled wheels and 17 x 24in cylinders. Nos 3 and 4 were also Beyer Peacock 0-6-0 WN 2049/1881 with 5ft 1in coupled wheels amd WN 2626/1885. Two Beyer Peacock 2-4-0T WN 2466-7/1885 wuith 5ft 6in coupled wheels received running Nos. 5 and 6 (former illustrated)
Express passenger locomotive Egyptian State Railways. 55.
4-4-0 with outside frames supplied by Neilson, Reid & Co. with 6ft 3in coupled wheels, 18 x 24in cylinders, 1235ft2 total heating surface and 21.336ft2 grate area.
Single express locomotive, Great Central Railway. 55. illustration
4-2-2 No. 970 illustrated
Seventy years of locomotive building. 56.
Baldwin Locomotive Works celebration
Great Central engines. 56
Sharp Stewart & Co. Ltd had delivered 1017 class 4-4-0 Nos. 1021-9. New Gorton bukilt 0-6-0 Nos. 122 and 130. Further Sacré double frame six-wheel four-coupled passenger engines had been rebuilt with new boilers: Nos. 180, 213, 258, 259 and 314.
G.E.R. engines. 56
New 4-4-0 Nos. 1870-3 ex-Stratford Works.
A rebuilt Crampton, Eastern Railway of France. 
Bound-in platre (verso blank)
Views on the North Western Railway, India. 59. 3 illustrations
Photographs taken by H.H. Spalding: Government inspectors special; loading grain and cotton on wayside station on Wazirabad toKhanewal section and 0-6-0 with 4ft 6in coupled wheels and 19 x 26in cylinders.
North Eastern engines. 59
First series of 0-8-0 had been completed with Nos. 2116-2125. The second series had begun with 130, 527, 1002 and 1320. This series in having an extra sandbox over the leading wheels at the side of the smokebox. No. 1320 was the first to be fitted with steam reversing gear. Fletcher 0-6-0ST No. 46 built in 1882 had been rebuilt as a side tank with new boiler, cylinders, cab and bunker. It retained original wheels, frames and motion.
Midland Ry. 59
Belpaire 4-4-0 Nos. 2787-90 were under construction. Nos. 2781-6 were awaiting tenders. Neilson Reid had delivered 0-6-0 Nos. 2705-28.
Some locomotive experiments. 60-2. 5 diagrams
|Number 77 (May 1902)|
The Round Shed, King's Cross, G.N.R. plate facing
Nos. 1035?, 528, 1169 and 42
Rebuilt bogie tank, L. & Y. Ry. 73. illustration
Barton Wright 0-4-4T modified and painted with company name in full on tank sides. No. 111 illustrated
New locomotive G.E. Ry. 73.
Holden Decapod: Refers to three HP cylinders as if there had been some suggestion of compounding amd to the high capacity boiler: 36ft2 grate area and 2769t2 total heating surface
Six-coupled goods locomotives, North Staffordshire Ry. 74.
0-6-9 suppliied by Nasmyth, Wilson & Co. to design of Luke Longbottom with 5ft coupled wheels, 17 x 26in cylinders, 1124ft2 total heating surface and 20.5ft2 grate area, working at 150 ps1.
South African locomotives. 74-6. 4
Photographs taken by Lieutenant P.E. Vaughan at Charestown of Natal Governnment Railways 4-10-2T with 19 x 27in outside cylinders; 3ft 9in coupled wheels; 1601.5ft2 total heating surface and 21.15ft2 grate area. Ten supplied by Dubs & Co. in 1901 and given letters rather than numbers and painted black. Designed by G. Reid, Locomotive Superintendent. 120 4-8-2T also came from Dubs, were fitted with that firm's modified Stephenson link motion; had 17 x 21in cylinders, 3ft coupled wheels, 1075.85ft2 total heating surface and 15.7ft2 grate area. They were painted dark green and hauled the mail trains from Durban to Pretoria via Johannesburg including the Kaffir Mail; that for the people of their homeland. Morton, the district locomotive superintendent at Charlestown is acknowledged.
The locomotives of the East and West Junction Ry.
77. 2 illustrations.
When first opened the Stratford-on-Avon, Towcester and Midland Junction Railway was worked by the Midland Railway which ran freight trains between London and Gloucester. In 1892 three Ramsbottom DX type 0-6-0 which had originally been Nos. 648, 809 and 825, but when sold were 1891, 1945 and 1966. They became 7, 8 and 9. Fig. 4 shows one of the DX type. Fig. 5 shows No. 10, one of three Beyer Peacock 0-6-0 tender locomotives: WN 3613/1894. The others were No. 11 WN 3812/1896 and 12 WN 4126/1900. They were similar to Nos. 3 and 4, but fitted with Wetinghouse and vacuum brakes.
Six-coupled goods engine, S.E. Ry. 78.
The subject of illustration had an unusual characteristic in its driving-wheels being of the Mansell type with wood centres. This engine was built in 1863 at the Ashford Works from the designs of Cudworth, and was fitted with his long firebox and midfeather. The cylinders were 16-in. diameter by 24-in. stroke, and the six-coupled drivers were 4-ft. 9¾in. diameter: the total wheelbase measured 15:ft. .The firebox was 7-ft. 6-in. long and 3-ft. 6-in. wlde; the boiler .was 10-ft. 3½-in. long, and contained 157 tubes 2-in. diameter. The heating surface of the tubes was 845.5 ft2., and of the firebox 132.2 ft2.; the firegrate had an area of 22.42 ft2..
Great Western engines. 78
The first of some new tank engines, No. 11 class, had been turned out from the, Swindon Works and was numbered 3601 (Swindon No. 1866). It was fitted with the water scoop, and the tool boxes were placed-at the side of the smokebox instead of on the top of the side tanks.
London & North Western engines. 78
The last six of the enlarged Jubilee class were being turned out and numbered and named 1955 Hannibal, 1956 Illustrious, 1957 Orion 1958 Royal Oak, 1959 Revenge and 1960 Francis Stevenson. The ten new 5-ft. radial tank engines bear Nos. 46, 55, 78, 105, 188, 495,741, 1095, 211J. and 2211 (Crewe Nos. 4205 to 4214). Two more of the new four-coupled in front shunting engines had been turned out, Nos. 3529 and 3530, and were stationed at Birkenhead. Nos. 173 City of Manchester, 437 City of Chester and 2055 Dunrobin (Dreadnought class) had been fitted with high pressure cylinders 15-in. by 24-in.
The Locomotive Magazine Coronation Number.
Our Empire's TrainsWe hope to have ready early in June our special Coronation Summer Number which will be of an exceptionally attractive nature this Coronation year. .As fitting supplements we are preparing !wo large coloured plates to accompany each copy of the Issue, namely The decorated engine, No. 284 G.E.R. used for His Majesty's wedding in 1862; and (2) The new four-coupled express No. 1870 G.E.R. specially pamted for His Majesty's use during the Coronation year. The general contents of the book will include reproduced photographs of engines and trains from all parts of the great British Empire. The price will be 1/-, and as the issue will be a distinctly limited one we ask our readers to make early application so that we may have the ,necessary number prepared.
The lcomotives of the G.E.R. 79-80. 4 diagrams (including
3 side elevations)
Between October 1846 and 20 March 1848 the Eastern Counties Railway worked traffic between Peterborough and Stamford. ordered ten 2-2-2 from Jones & Potts and ten from Stothert & Slaughter. These had 6ft driving wheels and 15 x 22in cylinders. They were prone to accidents: running off the road at Littlebury on 4 August 1845 and at Waterbeach on 19 August, both with the 11,30 ex-London,.
G.N.R. eight-coupled goods engines. 80.
Nos. 402 and 403 of the 401 class had left Doncaster Works: the former was stationed at Peterborough.
Royal Train, Pennsylvania Railroad. 81. illustration
HRH Prince Henry of Prussia had an eight car train with L Class No. 850 at his disposal. This was photographed by F.W. Blauvelt at Jersey City. The Princes's main car, used for entertaining his guests, was a 70-foot long vehicle formerly used by President McKinley. It had five private rooms and was named Columbia
North Eastern engines. 81
0-8-0 Nos. 1700 and 1704 had left Gateshead Works, both were fitted with steam reversing gear. No. 2006 awarded the Grand Prix at the Paris Exhibition had small glass cases on the wheel splashers to commemorate this showing both sides of the medal.
Some locomotive experiments. 82-3. 6 diagrams
McInnes-Dobbie Indicator and three-way cock made by Crosby Steam Gage & Valve Co.
Coppersmiths' work on locomotives. 84-5. diagram
Pipes: bends and curves; brazing; finishing
London & India Docks Ry. 85
Former Liskeard & Carandon Ry. (Cornwall) 0-6-0ST Looe built by Robert & Stephenson & Son in 1901 acquired
Goods locomotive, Emu Bay Ry. 86. illustration.
4-8-0 supplied by Dubs & Co of Glasgow
Great Central engines. 86
No. 131, standard goods turned out from Gorton Works. Sharp, Stewart & Co. had delivered new bogie passenger engines Nos. 1030-1036. Neilson, Reid & Co. had delivered five further large goods engines: Nos. 997-1002.
Old L. & S. W. R. locomotive. 86. diagram (side elevation)
Joseph Beattie patented 2-4-0 mixed traffic locomotive with vertical condenser in front of chimney which provided hot water to be pumprd back into the boiler via a donkey pump. Cylinders 15½ x 24in; 5ft coupled wheels. Six built in 1855 named Saxon, Norman, Dane, Goliath, Samson and Albion. Further six build 1857: Goth, Hun, Vandal, Lombard, Gaul and Celt. Drawing signed D. Leitch
The carriage & wagon department. 87
Railway carriage & wagon construction (XI). 87. diagram
Ransome's Horizontal Log Band Saw; Thomas Robinson & Son (of Rochdale) Vertical Log Band Saw
Simple electrical working models." No. 8 "Model Engineer"
series. London: Dawbarn and Ward, Ltd
The amateur or student of electricity will find in this instructive little book a variety of designs of models of practical applications of the electric current. The printing is good with clear illustrations, while the instructions are straightforward and free from difficult technical terms.
Les locomotives a l'exposition de 1900. F. Barbier and R. Godferneaux.
Pans: Ch. Dunod. London: The Locomotive Publishing Co., Ltd.
The great Universal Exhibition held at Paris, in 1900 contained locomotives from all parts of the world, and in the above publication these exhibits are exhaustively dealt with. There are over 300 pages devoted to descriptive matter and photo reproductions, besides 70 folded plates and drawings of the various locomotives. We have only recently received this fine work and space will not permit of further reference in this issue.
Linear drawing and lettering, J.C.L. Fish. London: The Locomotive
Publishing Co., Ltd.
Neatly lettered titles and carefully formed figures add greatly to the finish of mechanical drawings. The volume above-mentioned and its supplement form guides to draftsmen in this respect which should be valued by all wishing to make clear and smart drawings and tracings. There are four chapters-I. on instruments and materials, II. linear drawings, III. lettering, IV. drawing, whilst the supplemental book acts as a " copy book" for the practice of lettering
Developments in locomotive practice. C.J. Bowen Cooke. London:
Whittaker & Co.
Several specimens of the latest practice in locomotives are herein incorporated, and details from some of the best examples illustrated. All the newest L. & N. W. R. locomotives figure in its pages, as well as particulars of many of the interesting experimental runs Mr. Webb has undertaken to test his machines. This work represents the text of two lectures given by the author to. the students of military engineering at Chatham.
Compound locomotives. R. Von Golsdorf's system. A. Friedmann,
Vienna. London: The Locomotive Publishing Co., Ltd.
A beautifully illustrated volume describing numerous examples of Herr Golsdorfs well-known compounds on different railways.
Avonside Engine Co., Bristol,
Neatly arranged catalogue illustrating the various designs of locomotives built by them.
Number 78 (June 1902)
[Photograph of Coventry Station in 1869]. 89
With Bloomer 2-2-2 on express and Ramsbottom 0-6-0 on a freight
New six-coupled express locomotive, G.W.R. 89
+ plate fp. 90
"Dean" 4-6-0 No. 100 with 18 x 30in outside cylinders and piston valves
The B.G. engines of the Great Western Ry. 90-1. diagram
Continued from page 66 The two bogie tank engines already illustrated and described having apparently: proved successful for the service for which they were intended, a further 13 engines, differing somewhat in dimensions from their predecessors, were ordered from R. and W. Hawthorn, of Newcastle-on-Tyne, with the following names, works' numbers and dates:
The accompanying illustration of Ovid, Fig. 50, shows the leading
features of this type of engine, which differed but little externally from
the preceding engines built at Swindon. In leading dimensions there was also
little change: cylinders 17-in. in diameter with a stroke of 24-in., steam
ports 13-in. by 1¾-in., exhaust ports 13-in. by 3¼-in., diameter
of orifice of blast pipe 5-in., length of boiler barrel 10-ft, 6-in., diameter
4-ft. 0-in., number of tubes 219. measuring 11-ft. in length with a diameter
of 2-in.; length of firebox casing 4-ft. 10-in., distance of front of casing
from driving axle centre 2-ft. 4-in., diameter of bogie wheels 3-ft. 6-in.,
and of driving wheels 5-ft. 9-in.; distance from centre to' centre of bogie
axles 5-ft., from rear bogie axle to centre of driving axle 5-ft. 6-in.,
and from centre to centre of coupled axles 7-ft. 6-in., total wheelbase 18-ft.
The saddle tank had a capacity of 930 gallons of water, and in working order
engines of this class had an average weight of 38 tons 9 cwt. distributed
as follows: bogie wheels 14 tons 8 cwt. 3 qrs., driving wheels 12 tons
10 cwt., and trailing wheels 11 tons 10 cwt. I qr. The weight 'of one engine
is given as 38 tons 16 cwt. 2 qrs.
The sixth series of six-coupled goods locomotives consisted in reality of several distinct varieties, differing slightly in details, but of the same general dimensions. They had cylinders 17-in. in diameter, with a stroke of 24-in., the steam ports measuring 13-in. by 1¾-in., and the exhaust ports 13-in. by 3¼-in., the latter leading to a blast pipe, the orifice of which had a diameter of 4¾-in. The driving wheels were 5-ft. in diameter, and extended over a wheelbase of 16-ft. 2½-in., of which 7-ft. 4-in. separated the centres of the leading and driving axles, and 8-ft. 10½-in. separated the driving and trailing axles. The frames were of the sandwich type, having a wood centre 31/8-ins. thick between two halt-inch iron plates, the three components being firmly held together by a double row of rivets placed 6¾-in. apart vertically. Over all, the, frames were 24-ft. 10½·in. long, measured to the back of the buffer beam, the overhang being 4-ft. 10-in., and 3-ft. 2-in. at leading and. trailing ends respectively, while the height of the top of the frames above rail level was 4-ft. 1¾-in., and the depth to the centre line of the stay-rods was 2-ft. 6¼-in. The boiler was 11-ft. long, with a diameter of 4-ft. 6-in., and was pitched with its-centre line 6ft. 4¾-in. above the level of the rails, It was adapted to a working pressure of 120-lbs. per sq, in., and contained 249 tubes, measuring 11-ft. 6½-in.long, with a diameter of 2-in. The outside firebox was 5-ft. long and 5-ft. 8½-in. wide. its depth below the centre of boiler barrel being 4-ft. 6-in. in front arid 4-ft. 9-in. at back, and the front plate was 3-ft. 4-in. distant from the centre of the driving axle. The heating surface was approximately the same as in the fifth series, already quoted, namely, 1416 sq. ft. on the fire side. and 1,574 sq. ft. on the water side, the area of the firegrate being 19.2 sq. ft. In working order these engines weighed 32 tons 5 cwt., divided as follows: leading wheels, 11 tons 7 cwt.; driving wheels, 11 tons 11 cwt., and trailing wheels 9 tons 7 cwt.
In the period from 1854 to 1856, thirty-six engines of this class were built, including the two saddle-tank locomotives already referred to. The names of the tender-engines are given below: Flora. Thames. Vesper. Iris. Neptune. Cyprus. Janus. Caliph. Orson. Vixen. Sibyl. Sphinx. Salus. Banshee. Cambyses. Midas, Nimrod. Geryon. Nemesis. Nero. Plutus. Zetes. Octavia. Metis. Rhea. Typhon. Osiris. Pelops. Creon, Panthea. Amphion. Magi. Pallas. Gyfeillon.
In 1857, seven more of this class were built with the following names: Mersey.Tweed.Esk.Liffey Severn Humber Avon.
These were rapidly followed between that date and 1863, by a further thirty-three, named respectively:-Warrior.Tay. Wear. Warhawk. Forth. Plym, Pioneer. Tyne. Talbo Charrlpion. Xerxes. Plutarch. Luna. Lagoon.. Gladiator. Ethon. Hades. Sirius. Boyne. Olympus. Orpheus. Shannon, Regulus, Severus. . Rhonadda . Wye . Theseus. Pandora. Chronos. Scylla. Cossack. Tantalus. Leonidas.
Finally, in 1864, twelve more engines ot the same type, which were known as the Swindon class, were built, to which were given the names:- Swindon. Bristol. London. Chester. Reading. Oxford. Windsor. Bath. Shrewsbury. Wolverhampton, Newport . Birmingham.
Thus we find a grand total of 138 six-coupled goods engines, and four six-coupled saddle-tank engines, built at Swindon during the period from 1846 to 1864, while Gooch had charge of the Locomotive Department of the Great Western Railway.
Reverting to the strict chronological order of events, from which a digression has been made for the purpose of including all the above- mentioned goods engines in close succession, mention must be made of another delivery of 8-ft. single express locomotives of the famous Iron Duke class. These were seven in number, and were built by Rothwell & Co., in the following order
In external appearance these engines sufficiently resembled the
Lord of the Isles, represented in Fig. 44, to require no separate
illustration. They had, however, one distinctive feature, as originally built,
in a compensating lever on each side, connecting the driving and trailing
springs, which was subsequently removed. They had the following leading
dimensions: cylinders, 18-in. in diameter, 24-in. stroke, with steam ports,
13-in. by 2-in.; exhaust ports, 13-in. by 3½-in., and diameter of blast
pipe, 5¼-in. Diameter of driving wheels, 8-ft., and of six carrying
wheels, 4-ft. ,6-in.; wheelbase, 18-ft. 8½-in., divided as follows:
.centres of four leading wheels, 4-ft. 9¼-in., second axle to driving
wheels, 6-ft. 4¼-in., and driving to trailing wheels, 7-ft. 7-in. Length
of frames, 24-ft. 1¼·in., the overhang being 2-ft. 7¾-in.
in front, and 2-ft. 9-in. at back. Boiler barrel, 10-ft. 9-in.long, and 4-ft.
93/8-in. in diameter, containing 303 tubes, 11-ft. 3-in.long,
and 2-in. in diameter; boiler pressure, 120 lbs. per square inch; length
of outside firebox, 5-ft. 6-in. Heating surface: firebox, 171.2 sq. ft.;
tubes, 1711.9 sq. ft.; total, 1883.1 sq. ft. The weight of these engines
in working order was 39 tons 6 cwts, distributed as follows: four leading
wheels, 16 tons; driving wheels, 12 tons 7 cwt.; and trailing wheels, 10
ton 19 cwt.
Of these engines, Alma was rebuilt in June 1872, after running a total of 444,600 miles, and was scrapped in 1880, to be replaced by another engine of the same name. Balaclava was rebuilt in October, 1871, after a mileage of 406,424, and was still in fair running order on the abolition of the broad gauge in May, 1892. Inkerman accomplished a mileage of 650,220 up to October, 1878, when she went to the scrap heap, and was immediately succeeded by a name-sake. Kertch, on the other hand, was finally scrapped in December, 1872, after running only 326,246 miles, which was the poorest record of any of the 8-ft. engines, and the name died out. Crimea reached a mileage of 605,701 before being condemned in September, 1878, and the name was revived in a new engine; while Eupatoria lasted a month longer, with a proportionately greater mileage of 618,275, before sharing the same fate, and Sebastopol ran 707,148 miles up to 1880, when she also was replaced by a new engine. These seven engines complete the list of the original 8-ft. singles, twenty-nine in all, or thirty if the Great Western be included. At the date of the abolition of the broad gauge, eight of these originals were still running, in addition to fourteen new engines with old names, and the new engine, Bulkeleywhich might well enough have served to borrow the name of either Tornado or Rougemont thus giving a total of twenty-three engines of this type to be disposed of in 1892.
N. E. R. ENGINEs.-An order for ten six- coupled goods engines is now in hand, which will be numbered 2126-2135. Nos. 1700 and 1704 of the new series of eight-coupled goods engines have been finished at the Gateshead Works. No. 955 Neilson tank engine built in 1874, has been rebuilt with an enlarged cab and a brass topped chimney.
G. W. R. ENGINEs.-Nos. 2602 and 2603, large goods engines, have been turned out from the Swindon Works with shorter tenders so as to facilitate turning. Six further tank engines of the No. I I class, Nos. 3601-3606, are in service. Several of the standard six-coupled goods engines have been rebuilt with Belpaire fireboxes, among them being Nos. 5~, 788,2309, 2373, 239 I, 2474·
Narrow-gauge locomotives of the Belfast and Northern Counties
Ry. 92-3. 5 illustrations
Eleven locomotives in five classes; nine came from the Ballymena & Larne Railway. No. 1 (BNCR No. 104) had been supplied by Beyer Peacock in 1877. The 2-4-0T originally had 11 x 18in outside cylinders, but these were later enlarged to 12 x 18in. The coupled wheels were 3ft 9in. The total heating surface was 343.30ft2. A similar 2-4-0T was supplied by Beyer Peacock in 1880. Nos. 2 and 3 were also supplied by Beyer Peacock in 1877, but were 0-6-0T with 13½ x 18in cylinders, 3ft 3in coupled wheels, and 531.29ft2 total heating surface . They became Nos. 106 and 107. Another of this type followed in 1880: No. 6 which became No. 109. No. 5 was an unusual 2-6-0ST supplied by Beyer Peacock in 1880 with 3ft 3in coupled wheels, 14 x 18in cylinders, 615.90ft2 total heating surface and 10.57ft2 grate area. Black, Hawthorn & Co. supplied Nos. 101-3 with 12 x 19in cylinders, 3ft 1in coupled wheels, 457.28ft2 total heating surface and 6.53ft2 grate area. Finally, Nos. 110 and 111 (formerly 70 and 71) were B. Malcolm 2-cylinder compound 2-4-2T with one 14¾ x 20in cylinder and one 21 x 20in cylinder and 740.89ft2 total heating surface
Some locomotive experiments. 94-5. illustration, 3 diagrams
New goods locomotive with corrugated firebox, L. & Y.
R. 98-9. 3 illustrations
Hoy 0-8-0 No. 392
G.N.R. engines. 99.
New Ivatt 0-8-0 Nos. 404, 405, 406n and 407. Four cylinder Atlantic had 15 x 20in cylinders with piston valves.
Ten-wheeled express locomotive, C.R.R. of N.J. 99. illustration
4-4-2 (of camelback or Mother Hubbard type) built Brooks Locomotive Co. for Central Railroad of New Jersey with 20½ x 26in cylinders, 2367ft2 total heating surface and 82ft2 grate area
Coppersmiths' work on locomotives. 100-1. 5 diagrams
Domes and safety valve mountings
Number 79 (July 1902)
The Callander and Oban Ry. 105-7. 3 illustrations
Describes signalling in Pass of Brander to protect trains running into rock falls off Ben Cruachan; the original Oban Bogies introduced by Brittain (No. 181 illustrated in Callander station), the McIntosh 4-6-0s (82 class) No. 55 illustrated and the 2-4-2Ts (No. 155 illustrated)
Loco. driving by contract. 107-8
Coppersmiths' work on locomotives. 116-18. 4 diagrams
Coping rings at the back of the boiler, chimney caps and white metal in axleboxes
Fast running. 118
On 3 June fast run from Birmingham to Euston behind No. 1952 Benbow (2 hours)
Petroleum fuel notes. 118. diagram
Oil-burning firebox (diagram); petroleum on the A,T, & Santa Fe Railroad, oil fuel in Japan
Six-coupled compound tank locomotive, Austrian State Railways. 119.
illustration, diagram (sectionalized elevation)
Lambourn Valley Ry. locos. 120. illustration
Number 80 (August 1902)
The B.G. engines of the Great Western Ry. 124-6.
2 diagrams (side elevations)
Lalla Rookh and Fulton illustrated: both classes four-wheels coupled: former with two axles at front; latter with one
The locomotive history of the London, Chatham & Dover
Ry. 126-7. 2 illustrations
Martley 2-4-0 built by Sharp, Stewart & Co. from 1862 and intended for Continental Mail services between Dover and London with 6ft 6in coupled wheels; 16½ x 22in cylinders; 1147ft2 total heating surface and 19.9ft2 grate area. These were WN 1347 Dawn, 1348 Alert, 1379 Herald, 1380 Pioneer, 1381 Frolic and 1392 Vigilant. In 1863 a further order was placed with Sharp, Stewart for locomotives of the same dimensions, but with re-arrangement of the wheels and boilers. These were: WN 1414 Violet, 1415 Crocus, 11420 Verbena, 1421 Snowdrop, 1422 Hyacinth and 1423 Bluebell. Martley designed a slightly larger 2-4-0 which was built by Brassey & Co. at the Canada Works in Birkenhead with 6ft 6in coupled wheels; 16 x 24in cylinders; 1026ft2 total heating surface and 17ft2 grate area: WN 183 Reindeer, 184 Elk, 185 Champion, 186 Templar (illustrated), 187 Talsiman and 188 Zephyr.
An experiment on the L. & Y. R. 128. diagram.
Druitt Haloin thermal storage device fitted to 2-4-2T No. 632 (diagram does not show this adaption, but a 2-6-0T!)
Coronation engine, L.T. & S.R. 129. illustration
4-4-2T No. 61 Kentish Town decorated
Some locomotive experiments. 130-2. 4 diagrams
Measurement of speed
Locomotive wheels and tyres. 133-4. 2 diagrams
Bath car, Russian Government Railways. 139. illustration
Cleansing the employees
Number 81 (September 1902)
The Redruth & Chasewater Ry. 141-3. 3
Reference to Volume 24 p. 94. Smelter and Spitfire illustrated as well as interior of erecting shop at Devoran where Miner was being rebuilt Spitfire was painted dark green, but Smelter was painted brown with red lining.. J.F. Tyacke was Superintendent of the Railway and Andrewartha supervised the workshop..
New YorkChicago in 20 hours. 144-5. 2 illustrations
Some locomotive experiments. 146-9. 4 diagrams
Actual operation of taking indicator measurements and interpreting them
New locomotives, Midland, Great Western Ry., Ireland. 149.
Cusack 4-4-0 with 6ft 3in coupled wheels and 18 x 26in cylinders. Built at Broadstone Works. Royal blue livery. One set of new coaches for tourist services was performing round trip frpm Dublin to Galway and back in the day.
Locomotive wheels and tyres. 150-1. 4 diagrams
Great Northern locomotives. 152. illustration
Four-cylinder Ivall small boiler Atlantic No. 271
Petroleum fuel notes. 154.. illustration, diagram
Fireclay ferrules for oil-burning locomotives; oil burning in Texas (Sabine & Eastern Texas Ry and Rio Grande Sierra Madre & Pacific Ry. experiments on a stationary boiler and Missouri Kansas & Texas Ry trials of coal soaked in oil; oil fuel in Denmark; liquid fuel on the N.E.R.; Shell Transport Co.'s oil fuel; oil on the PLM
Number 82 (October 1902)
Laxey Mine locomotives. 163. illustration.
Ant illustrated (Bee also existed). Built in Leeds, 19 inch gauge for working underground at mine in Isle of Man
Condensing tank loco., L.T. & S.R. 167. illustration
4-4-2T Nos. 23 Laindon and 29 Stepney fitted with condensing apparatus and Westinghouse feed water pumps for possible replacement of failed Metropolitan District Railway engines working on the Whitechapel & Bow Railway. Due to heat in tanks repainted black.
Number 83 (November 1902)
Great Western engines. 175. illustration.
Photograph of 4-6-0 No. 100 Dean leaving Dawlish when working 06.15 Bristol to Newton Abbot. Twenty 2-6-0 of 2621 class were being built at Swindon nd fitted with telescopic boilers working at 200 psi: Nos. 2662, 2663 and 2664 were in service. No. 3301 Monarch rebuilt with new boiler and Belpaire firebox. No. 1833, 0-6-0 with Joy valve gear, rebuilt with new boiler and Belpaire firebox. No. 101 fitted to burn oil fuel. No. 11 class Nos. 3617, 3618, 3619 and 3620 had entered service. The standard 0-6-0ST with cast iron wheels constructed at Wolverhapton numbered from 1901 were being built with Belpaire fireboxes cwith the safety valve on the boiler barrel. Nos. 2105-2116 (Wolverhampton WN 702-720) had been constructed in 1902.
Mr. Drummond's 6ft 6in bogie engines on the Caledonian Ry. 176-7. 2 illustrations
Herbert T. Walker. An old Braithwaite engine. 179-80. diagram (side
The Philadelphia and Reading Railroad purchased eight locomotives from Braithwaite, Milner & Co. of London during 1837-9. These were Rocket, Firefly, Spitfire (illustrated), Dragon, Comet, Planet, Hecla and Gem. The Spitfire was withdrawn in 1849 and sold to the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad
Some locomotive experiments. 181-3. 5 diagrams
Coffin averager applied to calculations associated with indicator readings.
Early Stockton & Darlington locomotives. 184-5. 2 illustrations,
diagram (side & front elevations)
The Swift, a four-wheel passenger engine built by R. and W. Hawthorn & Co with vertical cylinders: sold to the Great North of England Railway in 1839. No. 43 Sunbeam was built by R. & W. Hawthorn was successful and remained in service until 1863. No. 41 Dart was built by Timothy Hackworth at Soho Works in New Shildon and was an 0-4-0: it was shown at the 1875 Jubilee celebrations
G.E.R. engine decorated for the Coronation. 187. illustration
Johnson No. 1 class 2-4-0 No. 117 stationed at Wells was decorated by Driver Woodhouse and Fireman Houseago and ran trains from Wells to Norwich and Norwich to Yarmouth on Coronation Day. Photographed at Norwich.
Balancing locomotives. 189. 2 diagrams
The Carriage & Wagon Department. 191
Midland Ry. large capacity bogie wagons. 191-2. 2 illustrations
Built from steel by Leeds Forge; capable of carrying 30 tons of coal and fitted with continuous brakes. One photograph shows train of such wagons leaving Armley sidings.
Number 84 (December 1902)
L. & N. W. R. compounds. 103. diagram (side elevation)
No. 1901 Jubilee built 1897.
Gt. Western Ry. locomotives. 193. illustration
In 1901 a new class of 4-coupled tank engine [2-4-2T] was introduced, and an outline drawing with 'dimensions of the first constructed was given in our issue for April, 1901. Photograph of No. 3611 They are employed chiefly on branch passenger services.
No. 1833 6-coupled goods had been rebuilt, with a new boiler with Belpaire firebox and a dome.. It had Joy's valve gear.
No. 3405 Mauritius (Atbara class) had been provided with a new boiler similar to No. 2662. Goods engines Nos. 90, 676, 2304, 24?? , 2451 and 2483 had new boilers, with Belpaire fireboxes.
Midland engines. 193
Another ten of the 6-ft. 9-in. coupled engines with Belpaire fireboxes were under construction at Derby. Five numbered 810-814 were already out.
N. E. R. 193
A large new compound express engine of the Atlantic type with four-coupled 7-ft. drivers and two inside and two outside cylinders had been designed at Gateshead, and some eight-coupled tanks were projected.
The B.G. engines of the Great Western Ry. 194-6.
3 diagrams (side elevations), table
Table of eight-wheeled 8ft single express locomotives
Railway ferry across the English Channel. 203. illustration
Deputation from French and English (British) companies visited Denmark to inspect systems. Illustration Orehoved ferry station.
Our Supplements. 203 + plates (at front of Issue)
With this issue we present our readers with four supplements illustrating the following engines:--
No. 128, Four-coupled Express Locomotive, Furness Railway. Designed by Mr. W. F. Pettigrew, locomotive superintendent, and built by Messrs. Sharp, Stewart & Co., 1902. Driving wheels 6-ft. 6-in., cylinders 18-in. by 26-in. [4-4-0]
No. 1520, Single Express Locomotive, North Eastern Railway. Designed by Mr. T. W. Worsdell, late locomotive superintendent, and rebuilt at Gateshead Works, 1900. Driving wheels. 7-ft. 6-in., cylinders 19-in. by 26-in. [4-2-2]
No. 10804, Austrian State Railways. Designed by Herr R. von Golsdorf, chief mechanical engineer, and built by the First Bohemian Moravian Machine Works, Prague, 1902. Driving wheels 6-ft. 8-in., cylinders 5-in. and 21-in. by 26-in. [4-4-2]
No. 271, Great Northern Railway. Designed by Mr. H. A. Ivatt, locomotive superintendent, and built at Doncaster, 1902. Driving wheels 6-ft. 6-in., four cylinders 15-in. by 20-in. [4-4-2]
The Carmyllie Light Railway. 203-5. 2 illustrations, map.
Petroleum fuel notes. 209. illustration
Experiments with oil fuel had been on the Eastern Ry, of France in 1870. see THE LOCOMOTIVE, Vo1. VII, p. 202)