Volume 43 (1982)
M. Rutherford. Mechanical engineering drawings held by the National
Railway Museum. 79-83.
Over 250,000 drawings are held by the NRM, and this collection excludes those relating to Scottish-built locomotives which are held by the Scottish Record Office.
G.J. Hughes. A Great Eastern locomotive emergency.
Gresley was faced with a difficult situation on the Great Eastern Section. A 2-6-4T was being developed for the Southend services, but work ceased on this partly due to the Sevenoaks accident and partly through the need for mainline motive power. The immediate need was met by ordering ten (rather than the twenty initially envisaged) of the B12 class from outsde builders. Robert Stephenson submitted the lowest tender at £5943 per locomotive, but Beyer Peacock was successful at £5975 as faster delivery was promised. Meanwhile negotiations were taking place with North British Locomotive Co for the development of a three-cylnder 4-6-0 costing £7280 each with a maximum axle load of 18 tons per axle. The boiler became one of the major standard designs (being used for the B1) but Hughes argues that it stemmed from that used on the J39 and D49. NBL was aggrieved that further orders went to Darlington, and there was a further major confrontation with Beyer Peacock concerning the B12 order which had been modified to incorporate Lentz valve gear. At that time Beyer Peacock was run by Sir Sam Fay and R.H. Whitelegg, and legal action was nearly taken against the LNER (Hughes failed to stress the dire economic climate at that time which prompted cost-cutting by the suppliers and financial caution by the railway companies). Relationships between the two suppliers ultimately improved and led to orders for J39s from Beyer Peacock in 1936 and NBL for K3s delivered in 1935. The Lentz B12 were unsuccessful and had to be rebuilt with piston valves. Bridge restrictions on the GE Section were gradually eased.
Number 508 (August 1982)
Mike Christensen. Single line control. 398-402.
Adrian N. Curtis. PreservationWestern style. 403-8.
R.R. Mester. Recollections of the Furness Railway. 2. Branches and steamers. 403-11.
Michael Harris. The National Railway Museum towards seven years and 10 million visitors. 412-19.
Number 510 (October 1982)
Frank W. Goudie. Railways to Uxbridge. 510-16.
Concentrates on the Metropolitan Railway branch from Harrow on the Hill, and modification to services by the London Passenger Transport Board to accommodate Piccadilly Line services and the reconstruction of the Uxbridge terminus. The Great Western Railway services to Vine Street and High Street are barely mentioned. Pictures of Metropolitan Railway and London Transport termini.
No. 1863. What's next Sir Nigel. 516-18.
Account by one of the volunteers (probably female) who worked hard to ensure that the preserved No. 4498 Sir Nigel Gresley remains in first class condition: this was when the locomotive was based at Steamtown, Carnforth, but other locations are mentioned.
Barrie Walker. Preston Docks recalled. 519-20.
Bagnall 0-6-0ST Energy (WN 2838/1946), Enterprise (WN 2840/1946), Progress (WN 2891/1948), Princess (WN 2682/1942) and Courageous (WN 2892/1948). The last two show banana vans being shunted and a ship berthed in harbour.
G. Fell. The Wisbech & Upwell Sentinels. .
Ordered by the LNER in November 1929 the two Y10 class locomotives were intended for use on the Wisbech & Upwell Tramway where the former GER tram locomotives of LNER classes Y6 and J70 were the normal motive power. The 200hp locomotives were similar to two locomotives deleivered to the Somerset & Dorset Railway at about the same time but the LNER locomotives were fitted with skirts and cowcatchers for tramway operation (A works photograph shows one un-numbered locomotive with "Wisbech & Upwell Tramways" applied to the side skirts. One, or both locomotives were tested on the line between 11 June 1930 and 30 May 1931. Thereafter, the locomotives spent most of their time on the quays at Yarmouth, although 8404 was sent to Scotland in February 1934 and was tested on the lines in Aberdeen docks and briefly at St Leonard's Yard in Edinburgh, but was back at Yarmouth in May. Reasons for the failure of the locomotives on the Wisbech & Upwell Tramway are discussed with reference to the appropriate volume of the RCTS History of locomotives of the LNER Part 9B and The Wisbech and Upwell Tramway by Gadsden, Whetmath and Stafford-Baker. There appear to be no photographs of the locomotives working at Wisbech, but are relatively common of working on the street lines in Yarmouth, although this article only includes view of them on shed at Vauxhall.
Michael Harris. Putting on the style: the 55 Club on the main line.
Preserved railway catering based on the use of the National Railway Museum's No. 46229 Duchess of Hamilton and two 1960-built Pullman cars Emerald and Eagle. The catering was provided by Friends of the National Railway Musuem plus one professional member of the Museum's staff. The article noted that one of the Pullman's provided smoking accommodation! David Jenkinson is featured in one of the photographs
Hugh Ballantyne. Mallets to the mountains. 527-31.
Photographs, including colour, and text on the Indonesian State Railways (PJKA) CC50 Class 2-6-6-0 Mallets built by Werkspoor in Amsterdam and the Swiss Locomotive Works in 1928 working between Cibatu to Garut via Cikajang in Java relatively near Bandung
J.N. Faulkner. Motorail 1955-82. 534-41.
The maps show the remarkably large number of routes on which service operated: from St Austell in the west. Ely in the east, Inverness in the north and to Dover for the Continent. Gradually the services were limited to a few hubs, notably Kensington Olympia for London. Services began in the days of steam and were uktimately hauled by electric and diesel electric traction. Some conveyed sleeping cars. Great effort was required to ensure that the trains terminated in the correct direction for off-loading the cars.
New books. 541.
The Central Wales Line. Tom Clift. Ian Allan Ltd, 96pp.
The main part of this fine section of railway still clings to life, despite attempts to dismiss it as the unremunerative line par excellence. It is appropriate therefore to show something of its history and wealth of train working and it is difficult to see that Mr Clift's use of an album format could have been bettered in this endeavour. The main trunk and its several branches are featured in an excellent range of photographs, principally of latter- day steam working and diesel operation; earlier pictures always seem to be rare, in this reviewer's experience. The stations and way and works also receive due attention and the captions are particularly informative. Appendices include selected track plans, a useful series of extracts from the working timetable of 1952/53 (including train loads) and a complete reproduction of the actual timetable of train working.
Peacocklocomotive builders to the world. R.L. Hills and D.
Patrick. Transport Publishing Company, 302pp. Reviewed D.R. Carling.
It is fortunate indeed that so many of the firm's archives and of their photographs should have survived and are still accessible and that Dr Hills should be effectively in charge of them. For otherwise, this splendid book would not have been written, nor would it have had over 600 illustrations, though some are from other sources.
This book can be strongly recommended to all who have an interest in locomotives, in their manufacture and in the people who were mainly responsible for their design, pro- duction and sale. Besides the locomotives the book covers the more important personalities involved, the workshops and their machinery, finance, profit and loss, business methods and more besides. It is well-printed on good paper, solidly bound and its coloured and half-tone illustrations nicely reproduced. It is a pleasure to read and to look at. Misprints are commendably few, occurring in foreign place names in captions to illustrations.
On and off the rails. Sir John Elliot, George Allen and
It is impertinence and the excuse must be lack of space to accord this important book so short a notice. Sir John Elliot is a significant figure in the history of British railways in the twentieth century. From a position as assistant editor of the Evening Standard, he was appointed Public Relations Assistant to Sir Herbert Walker, General Manager of the Southern Railway. His account of his career in this post is illuminating, lively and human. To quote Sir John, 'The picture of Walker's SR in its early years was an old-fashioned style of management functioning strongly and effectively in a new railway age'. And, later, 'When it started, the Southern had everything to achieve. When its last day came ... it had achieved much'. At 35 years of age Elliot became a real railwayman assistant for Development under the Traffic Manager. By 1938, he was the SR's Assistant General Manager, on the eve of war. He relates with sympathy his part in the appointment of Eustace Missenden in succession to Gilbert Szlumper. Of particular value is Sir John's clear summary of the problems facing British railways in war and during the uneasy prelude to nationalisation. Even more illuminating, although inevitably depressing, is the view of the early years of the Railway Executive and its curiously confused and bureaucratic relationship with the British Transport Commission and Government. 'In spite of it all', Sir John reflects, 'much good and important work was done to lay the foundations of an amalgamated railway system for the future'. Then came the period as Chairman of London Transport and, 'off the rails', there is a fascinating description of the handling of the 1958 bus strike. Sir John concludes with a chapter on railway safety, including an insight into the SR's decision-making following the Sevenoaks accident of 1927. Through all of this fascinating review of transport management, Sir John Elliot's essential character of liveliness and humanity shines through.
Industrial Locomotives 1982. Industrial Railway
As the sub-title explains, this excellent volume includes all the preserved and minor railway locomotives. There can be no better recommendation, nor one in all honesty, that the earlier edition of this book has been at the elbow of the editorial staff. The book is comprehensive, clearly laid out and accurate. Also useful is the section on BR departmental stock.
Single line control. Mike Christensen
Addenda to his article (August)? It has often been stated that James Manson did not patent the tablet exchanger that he devised, so that it could be freely taken up by as many companies as possible. However, it was not widely taken up, but it was in fact patented, not by Manson, but by Walter and George William Drummond under the style of the Glasgow Railway Engineering Co of Helen Street, Govan. The patent was taken out in 1901 (No 10,665).
The photograph on page 401 of the August issue showing the exchanging apparatus at Crossmichael, depicts not the Manson catcher, but Bryson 's apparatus.
Cadoxton-Pontypool Road. J.F. Burrell
I greatly enjoyed Meic Batten's article (August). There was one exception to the rail level halts between Pontypool and Caerphilly. Rhydyfelin had platforms and a GWR-type 'pagoda' shelter.
All of a summer evening. J.F. Burrell
I think Keith A. Ladbury is in error in his interesting article (July) when he claims to have seen D l 0-4-2T No 608 at Tonbridge in 1924. No 608 was an 'El'. The most likely locomotive was No B605. It had about this time been used on Servis Movement Recorder tests and may have been on its way to, or from, such tests on the Eastern Section.
The return of a 'Saint' . W.
As a life-long admirer of these classic locomotives, I was very pleased to read the two articles (July). While saving up to buy a share in this marvellous project, I shall join the many who will, no doubt, be thinking of the most suitable name for No 2956. I suggest that had a batch of 'Saints', Nos 2945 et seq been constructed, then, in accordance with the practice usually adopted, these would have been named alphabetically. How about Saint Agnes for No 2956? The nameplates St Agnes were removed from 'Duke' 4-4-0 No 3276 in August 1930.
Churchward and preservation . E. R.
In his spirited article on the 'Saint' class (July), Nock repeats the oft-quoted remark that Churchward was responsible for the scrapping of North Star and Lord of the Isles as he had little sympathy for their preservation. In fact, Churchward endeavoured without success, for two and a half years, to get both locomotives placed in a major museum. A brief outline of the facts is revealed in the GWR Directors, Locomotive, Carriage and Stores Committee Minutes, held at the Public Record Office, Kew. The first Minute, dated 22 July 1903, reads: 'Mr Churchward reported that the old broad gauge engines Lord of the Isles and North Star had, for many years, been stored in a shed at Swindon, and that the space occupied by them is much needed. Having regard to the interest attaching to the two engines, the Committee consider that they might, with advantage, be offered to the South Kensington Museum, and they agreed to recommend that an endeavour be made to dispose of them in this manner'.
A further Minute dated 20 December 1905 reveals that considerable efforts were made: 'Referring to Minute 19 of the 22 July 1903, the Locomotive Superintendent reported that the old broad gauge engines North Star and Lord of the Isles, which occupy much valuable space in the shops at Swindon, had been offered to several Institu- tions without success and, upon his recommendation, the Committee approved of the same being broken up'
The Committee that day consisted of Frank Bibby, Alexander Hubbard, Robins Bolitho, Sir N. Kingscote, Sir H. Robertson and Sir William Henry Wills. It is felt that the record should be set straight, as the impression has always been given that Churchward thought so little of the two engines' historical importance that he, alone, ordered their destruction.
Milk traffic on rail. A.S.B. Balkyn-Rainbow
As one whose work revolved around this subject for six years, I should like to comment on Mr Hosegood's article (June). Regarding the decline of milk traffic on rail in the mid-1960s described by Mr Hosegood, the decline of the longer distance northern traffic had its origins at a much earlier date. The Milk Marketing Board was formed before World War 2, with its main aim to achieve a reduction in transport costs and a good deal was done by rearranging distribution patterns. But the north-west remained an area with a surplus of milk, because there was insufficient factory capacity there to turn it into dairy products. In the 1950s, new factories were built in this area, and supply and demand were balanced. Traffic continued, however, to go to the London area until the BRB attempted to conclude an agreement with the milk industry on minimum use of the service, similar to the Western Agreement. No agree- ment was forthcoming, so the 4.30pm Carlisle-Willesden was withdrawn in 1964. The residual agreement allowed for special trains to be run at an agreed rate per train, or for up to three tanks to be worked south on the 3.10pm freight from Carlisle- Willesden. After about two years, these arrangements were withdrawn. The Western Agreement came into force in October 1964, and covered six trains. Originally, the two trains from West Wales were to have been the 15.50 and the 20.30. However, the agreement quoted London arrival times for the 13.45 Whitland in error, and the earlier path was substituted before the service became operational. The remaining services were from the West of England. Two started from St Erth, at a variety of times between 12.45 and 14.00, and 16.40 and 18.35 in different years. All of these trains ran to Kensington. The fifth service, at 17.38 from Seaton Jn, also ran to Kensington if required, but generally terminated at Westbury, where its traffic was attached to the 18.40 Tiverton Jn to Morden South, the sixth train. Although trains were shown to run in the summer working timetables for 1980, the service was withdrawn on 31 March
Outside the Western Agreement other traffic was still conveyed after 1964. On the Western Region, non-contract servicing of Wootton Bassett and occasionally Moreton- in-Marsh continued. Traffic from Bailey Gate was regularly forwarded by a Poole- Clapham parcels train. The main area, however, still lay in the north-west, around Shrewsbury. The train from there continued to run for a number of years, with traffic from Dorrington, Whitchurch and Gobowen. Crewe continued to attach tanks from Calverley and Uttoxeter to Willesden- bound parcels trains for a year or two, as well. Attempts were also made to develop new rail facilities. Proposals to take milk to Headcorn, Kent were not as successful as an experimental service, run for 10 days in 1966, which took two daily tanks from Camborne to Chichester. Even Job's Didcot dairy was considered, but mention should be made of the Swindon facility which saw considerable use in the 1970s, sending milk to West Wales, Cornwall and Carlisle according to the availability of factory capacity. The railways never ignored road competition, in the 1920s or later. Under the Western Agreement the operation of securing traffic was tackled in a most aggressive manner. The Agreement stipulated a minimum of 26,000 tanks annually.
The Transport Officers of the MMB doubted whether the figure could be reached. It was. In the second year 33,000 tanks were conveyed, with about 4,000 on services not covered by the Agreement.
It will be interesting to see how often the refurbished tanks are used. So far, 32 of the six-axle tanks have entered service, numbered MMB 42800-39. Thirty-one four-axle tanks are numbered MMB42840-70. 42871-76 were shown to join them, but there are now indications that these may not be put into service. They have been used on a number of occasions since the Chard Jn-Stowmarket operation finished, including a train from Lostwithiel to Gloucester this January and some local movements in West Wales. Rail News has reported that the tanks are to be used for whey traffic from Carmarthen to Crewe, and 19 of the four-wheelers are allocated to this traffic. A number of MMB plants, including Lostwithiel, Whitland, Llanstephan (Carmarthen) and Chard Jn still retain rail facilities, and do not require road tanker transfer.
Eric Neve has given some very interesting and detailed information on the GN traffic. Page 295 of the LNER Magazine for 1933 contains a most interesting article about the Ingestre operation, and includes two photographs. These show that the dairy there was owned by United Dairies, not by Express as stated in the article. During 1928- 30, 11 tanks, 4301-11, were built on four-wheeled chassis for this traffic; all were reconstructed as six-wheelers in 1936-38. Three new six-wheelers were built in 1931 (4312-14), and three more in 1934 (4315-17). Not mentioned by Neve were the arrangements for traffic from the GN & LNWR Joint Line. Tanks were forwarded from John O' Gaunt for some time, and were probably attached to the Stafford train at Grantham. Traffic was also sent to London by the LMS route, via Northampton on weekdays, and Rugby on Sundays. The decline of milk traffic on the GN was largely due to the siting of new bottling plants on other railways into London. The GN suffers from poor cross-London connections, and so the trunk haul went to the competing routes. Wensleydale milk, loaded at the Express Dairy Leyburn Creamery, continued to go to Cricklewood until the early 1960s, when the rail siding was closed for reconstruction. Diversion to Wood Lane led to late arrivals, and loss of the traffic to road. Shortly afterwards, when a Northallerton tank was offered to rail for a few months, it was decided to try the ex-Great Central route, and to send the tank to Marylebone's Rossmore Road depot. This was successful, and Leyburn tanks could also be seen from time to time, being detached from the 22.22 York-Swindon at Leicester Central, for forwarding on the 22.50 Manchester-Marylebone. Thirteen tanks were built for North Eastern area traffic - 2415-23 in 1936, and 2444-47 in 1943. They were also used at Appleby, where the dairy was situated on LMS lines; LNER locomotives and men working them from Darlington to Appleby (LNER) where an LMS engine took over.
Farmer, John. I helped to build Mons Meg. 593-6.
Winner of LNER Railway Scholarship, with Alan Reid, in 1935. He was a Stratford apprentice and was awarded the scholarship at Queen Mary College with the vacations spent at Doncaster Works where he encountered Eggleshaw and was involved in the construction of the P2 which used an experimental boiler lagging made from metal foil. He encountered militant closed shop techniques with the boilermakers.
Single line control. J.J. R. Snell.
Staff and ticket system with paper tickets in conjunctiion with railway telephone in use on Bere Alston to Callington section until August 1968
Single line control. Brian Wilkinson
Describes difficulties in use of tablet catchers on Highland main line once diesel locomotives introduced as catchers could not cope with use of both steam and diesel locomotives.
Scott, W.T. The Lough Swilly's eight coupled engines.
Hudswell Clarke 4-8-0s (WN 746-7/1905) and 4-8-4Ts (WN 985-6/1912) were supplied for the Letterkenny & Burtonport Extension Railway (and 4-8-4T No. 5 is shown with this lettering). The 4-8-4Ts were very powerful locomotives and tended to work to Buncrana, handling heavy traffic during WW1. The Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway when the Burtonport Extension was opened had a long mainline and this required large locomotives: 4-8-4Ts and 4-8-0 tender locomotives. According to the writer these very large locomotives rode well and were liked by their crews..