Archive Number 115 (September 2022)
Meaford A & B Power Station
No. 2 Muriel with Driver Stan, former
fireman at Stoke Motive Power Depot

Lightmoor  Press, Lydney

Editorial. Ian Pope, 1

Alastair Weir and Stuart Rankin. Irvine's Harbour and its cranes. 2-29.
On page 11 there is a table based on a driver's notebook for the period 10 August 1925 to 2 February 1926 on locomotivve No. 609 wnen alllocated to Troon Harbour shed which included duties of Irvine pilot. Pages 12-13 are an exttract from the General Appendix to the LMS Working Timetable which include instructions for the Irvine Harbour brranch which include instructions to whistle and crossing gates to light and instructions for individual sidings
Illustrations:

Ordnance Survey may revised 1908, published 1910

2

G&SWR 8 ton mineral wagon being couped (tipped) into a boat by a crane

3

Coal crane probably disued & as depicted in Terry Powell drawing below

4

Terry Powell drawing: coal crane; turntable; capstan and ears for scotching wheels

4

Crane manufactured by Morgan Crane and Engineering Co. of Kilwinning with tubs being loaded in labour intensive manner

5

Morgan Crane in a very sad state in December 1910

5

Coaling crane with ICI ship Lady Roslin in late 1960s/early 1970s (see Archive 19)

6

Coaling crane being worked upon: caption suggests during demolition

6

Two puffers (Starlight and Limelight) owned Ross & Marshall [Light Shipping Co. Ltd.] being loaded with building materials. Both electric cranes made by Alexander Chaplin & Co., Glasgow

7

Starlight and Limelight being loaded with building materials. Both electric cranes made by Alexander Chaplin & Co., Glasgow (right hand picture shows pile of bricks)

7

British Rail Sturgeon A bogie wagon on demolition train c1966: Blue Billy bing to rear of train: caption ponders origin of name  Blue Billy , a product of residue from refining copper from pyrites  

8

Sketch of Harbour lines in 1876

10

ICI ship Lady Gowan viewed  from Blue Billy bing

10

Smellie 22 class 0-6-0 No.. 294 built by Dubs & Co. in 1899 and renumbered 609 in 1919 and 17139 in 1926 and scrapped in 1927

11

Rockware Glass prior to that Portland Glass and  now Ardagh Glass Company

15

Cargo being loaded or unloaded by wharfside crane 1950s?

16

Morgan crane and crawler crade made by Smith, Rodley of Leeds

16

Morgan crane being restored with ex-harbour tug Garnock

17

Rail reinstated on quayside in "restoration" 2020

A table based on one on page 15 is  shown below. It is speculated that the Royal Ordnance Factory (ROF) may have had locomotives which visited the Harbour. Spelter was used to manufacture objects normally made from bronze, but as it made  from zinc alloy it is cheaper.
Andrew Walker & Co.
After 1916 Imperial Chemical Industries. General Chemicals Division. Works closed 1953

No. 1 0-4-0ST OC Andrew  Barclay

644

1889 new acquired United Alkali Co. Ltd., Fleetwood, 1900
No. 2 0-4-0ST OC Andrew  Barclay

900

1901 scrapped 1929
No. 3 0-4-0ST OC Andrew  Barclay

1878

1929 new
No. 4 0-4-0ST OC Andrew  Barclay

1891

came from New Cumnock Collieries on loan


William Henderson & Co. Gailes Road then after 1924 Brand's Pure Spelter Co. Ltd.
0-4-0ST

BH

319

c1874 new S/S
IRVO 0-4-0ST OC Andrew  Barclay loan? to somewhere in Birmingham c1914
IRVO No. 2 0-4-0ST OC Andrew  Barclay

1697

1920 new

In the landscape... Millgate (Skimpings). 18-19.
Valley of River Spodden or Whitworth Valley which leads  from Rochdale to Bacup via Facit and Millgate. The LYR Bacup branch opened in 1881 and had steep gradients and sharp curvature. A zig-zag branch served Facit nd Moss Quarries.  Millgate and Facit Cotton Spinning, Manufacturiing and Mining was formed in 1860 and renamed Millgate Spinning Ltd. in December 1919. Delph Cottages and Holly Farm are also visible in this superb photograph. There is also an Ordnance Survey Map of 1910

Euan Corrie. Waterways to Manchester. — 2 The Bridgewater Navigations — Part 2. Worsley to Manchester. 20-9
This section of the canal was engineered to follow the 82-foot contour. An abrupt turn is made at Worsley as a result of James Brindley being introduced to Frances [sic] Francis Egerton  Third Duke of Bridgewater. On page 25 the caption mentions the  Worsley Cruising Club which grew  from a loose association of boatowners founded in 1958  to an organisation incorporated in 1973 which took over the canal basin for moorings and built a club house there. On page 27 there is mention of the last commercial traffic on the Bridgewater Canal namely grain to the Kelloggs factory on Barton Dock Estate where E.J. Abbott had in 1947 had several barges built to work traffic on the Bridgewater and Manchester Ship Canals. Their motor boat Iris Abbott and dumb boat Sarah Abbott captured much of the traffiic and aggravated the Bridgewater crews who lost their tonnage bonuses. In 1950 the Bridgewater Department ordered similar, but slightly larger vessels from Pimblott's of Northwich and later from Yarwoods
Illustrations:

Bridgewater Collieries Coal Tip and coke ovens, sunk broad-beamed flat, Broadheath tug,  travelling crane, Bridgewater Collieries Railway. End-door wagons tipped into boats

20

Worsley Colliery sidings and loding point Ordnance Survey Map 1918

21

Monton Bridge in 1888 (Ordnance Survey Map)

21

Monton Bridge in 1908 with electric tramway (Ordnance Survey Map)

21

Lodge built in 1880s alongside Duke's Gate at Monton Green with bridge that provided a private route from Monton Green and its station to Worsley village and Worsley Hall

22

View from other side of bridge and opposite bank; also approach houses in Old Ford and Westwood Farm

22

View from Canal Bank (road  to Patricroft) towards William Browne's shop & horse-drawn narrow boats heading for Barton; one going otherway baccering

23

Monton Old Bridge (postcard): simiilar view to above

23

New semi-unfinished steel bridge at  beginning of Parrin Drivve for South Lancashire Tramway extension to join Eccles Corporation route (view from Duke's Drive)

24

Completed steel bridge with overhead for Tramway in place, Horse drawn passenger boat passing beneath, see also Issue 114 page 26

24

Barton Road parallel to canal and Victoria Cotton Mills

25

Ordnance Survey Map 1908 of above area

25

Waters Meeting at Stretford where Bridgewater Canal turned towards Castlefield Westinghouse Works hydraulic water tower

26

Ordnance Survey Map of above area

26

Cornbrook Bridge witth Barbella passing beneath towing dumb boat Sarah Abbott (out of sight)

27

Ordnance Survey Map 1908 of above area

27

Castlefield Basin in early 1950s with Little Packet tug Stretford  and flat Ellesmere off-loading neat parcels  to motor lorry and horse drawn dray

28

Ordnance Survey Map Castlefield Basin, most of Central Station and Knott Mill area undated

29

MSC Bantam 1 tug designed for towing rather than pushing:: bought  MSSCo. Bridgewater Department from E.C. Jones Thames Launch Works in August 1951

29

Malcolm Bobbitt. In the showroom... Early motoring accessories. 30-9.
Early motor cars were devoid of even the most basic safety items, such as lighting. Autocarists, as early motorists were termed. were plied with garments to wear and vital accessories. Many were exhibited att the Stanley Cycle Show held at London's Agricultural Hall.  Illustratiions [all from contemporary advertisements]:

John Stirling  at wheel of his Stirling Parisian Phaeton in 1901 30
Alfred Dunhill Dunhill's Motorities [leather clothing and car covers], rubber mats  and goggles 31
Hoare & Sons winter clothing [leather coats] 32
Gamages Hanover Livery Coats, Hood & Veils  for ladies; Norfolk and Suffolk [leather] Chauffeur Uniforms 32
Long Acre Motor Car Co.: detachable tops for broughams 33
John Shepherd Ltd., Birmingham [motor car bodies with integral leather folding hoods] 33
Brooks of  Birmingham Automobile Necessities [Non-Skid Bands, Tool Cabinets, Spare Tyre Wrappers, Travelling Trunks & Luncheon Baskets] 34
Benson's of Old Bond Street "Autocar" Suit Cases 35
Dunlop Tyres When They Meet the Metal 35
Simms Mfg. Co. Ltd., Kilburn Safety Buffers 36
Lumsden speed indicators 36
Lucas King of the Road Acetylene Lamps 37
Anglo-American Oil Co., Ltd Pratt's Motor Spirit [petrol in cans in crates] 38
Henry Wallwork & Co., Ltd., Red Bank, Manchester Pump and Pan Combination 38
G.T. R iches & Co., Store Street, London Electric Cigar or Pipe Lighter; Assorted Tension Springs; Self-Applying Water Brushes, & Foot [Hand] Pumps 38
Alfred Dunhill Dunhill's Motorities Road Clearers [loud horns] 39
Boulton & Paul Ltd., Norwich Motor Car Houses [garages, i.e prefabricated buildings] 39

Allan C. Baker and Mike G. Fell. Meaford A & B Power Stations and their locomotives. Part 3. The locomotives. 40-63.
These were originally steam from  W.G. Bagnall of Stafford and were 0-4-0STs. These were supplemented by powerful 0-6-0 side tank engines supplied by Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns Ltd in 1950 to the design of Vincent Gordon Pask, Chief Engineer. A well equipped engine shed was provided with water treatment nd coal storage. This was expanded when the B Power Station was built. From early 1970 Andrew Barclay diesel hydraulic locomotives displaced steam. Andrew Barclay fitters came for routine servicing, but heavy servicing could be performed within the power stations' own workshops. Locomotive crews consisted of drivers and shunters, most of whom were formerly with British Railways
Illustrations:

Meaford A Power Station under construction on 25 October 1945: 0-4-0ST owned principal contractor G. Percy Trentham just visible

40

Bostock (on nameplate) J. Scarisbrick Walker & Brother of Wigan WN 334/c1872 owned principal contractor G. Percy Trentham later owned Distillers Co. Ltd. at Sully, Glamorgan

41

Two 0-4-0STs sold to North West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority by W.G. Bagnall of Stafford No. 1 Anne WN 2828/1945 and No. 2 Muriel WN 2829/1946

42

No. 1 Anne named after Anne Christabel Favell, youngest daughter of Frederick Favell, Chief Engineer & Manager NWMJEA

43

No. 2 Muriel named after Anne's elder sister: photographrd on 1 October 1949

43

No. 2 Muriel on 23 Occtober 1951 during visit of Birmingham Locomotive Club/Industrial  Locomotive Information Section

44

Mike G. Fell. on footplate of No. 2 Muriel  in Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) ownership on 17 April 1956

44

Cover of Conditions of Contract and Specifications for two locomotives ordered from Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns Ltd in 1950 under Vincent Gordon Pask, Chief Engineer 

45

MEA No. 1 in lined out green livery: RSH WN 7683/1951

46

RSH Maker's plate

46i

MEA No. 1 in lined out green livery: with footplate crew and shunter

47

MEA No. 1 on 15 April 1967 in CEGB livery [two views]

48

MEA No. 1 with red coupling and connecting rods on 14 September 1969 (colour image)

49

MEA No. 1 on 14 September 1969 as it shunts British Railways 16-ton mineral wagons (colour image)

50

No. 1 Ted Garnett JP, DL, MP as preserved by the North Tyneside Steam Railway in blue livery (colour image)

50

Meaford No. 2 Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns Ltd WN 7745/1952 delivered 1 December 1952 iin BEA livery

51

MEA No. 2 in Central Electricity Generating Board livery

51

MEA No. 2 in Central Electricity Generating Board livery showing lining out (colour image)

52

MEA No. 2 in Central Electricity Generating Board livery showing lining out (2 colour images)

53

MEA No. 2 in Central Electricity Generating Board livery on 28 June 1969 (colour image)

54

MEA No. 1 and No. 2 Muriel Bagnall with snow on ground and loaded CEGB 21-ton capacity wagons behind on 7 January 1970 (David Kitching colour image)

54

MEA No. 2 with CEGB 21-ton capacity wagon No. 102 on 5 July 1970 (David Kitching colour image)

55

Pair of Class 24 Bo-Bo diesel electric locomotives on train of empty coal wagns pass es MEA No. 2 with BR brake van

55

Class 9 Trip working. Stoke No. 19 in operation from 5 October 1970 to Meaford Power Stations [facsimile]

55

MEA No. 2 named Flying Duchess with two ex-British Rail Mk1 coaches on Boyne City Railroad in Michigan, USA (Sam Burke colour image)

56

Lettering on side tanks of Flying Duchess with BR lion and wheel emblem as modified [Flying Duchess has moved to LaGrange, Kentucky] (colour image)

 56

Flying Duchess on Boyne City Railroad

56

RSH 7684 as Nechells Power Station No. 4

57

RSH 7684 on Foxfield Light Railway in October 2010 on pretend freight train (Neil Harvey colour image)

57

RSH 7684 on Chasewater Railway in March 2012 (Mike Gill colour image)

57

Three Andrew Barclay diesel hydraulic locomotives at Creswell on 14 December 1969 where  they had failed due to hot axle boxes and had to complete their journey to Meaford by road

58

As above but from opposite end of train (Andrew Barclay WN 442/1959; 440/1958 and 443/1959 had been supplied new to High Marnham power station

58

High Marnham No. 1 outside locmotive shed at Meaford

 59

Meaford No. 3 Andrew Barclay 443/1959 ex-High Marnham  power station No. 4

59

Meaford No. 4 Andrew Barclay diesel hydraulic locomotive 0-6-0 WN 486/1964 ex-West Burton power station near Retford in National Power livery (colour image)

60

Meaford No. 4 out in the boscage with Meaford B in background  (colour image)

61

Meaford No. 4 alongside cooling towers  (colour image)

61

Andrew Barclay diesel hydraulic locomotive 0-4-0 with wasp stripes on buffer beam in locomotive shed at Meaford

62

Andrew Barclay diesel hydraulic locomotive 0-6-0 WN 486/1964 with Andrew Barclay diesel hydraulic locomotive 0-4-0 No.1 WN 440/1958 in orange and  yellow liveries  (colour image)

63

The Institute. [book reviews]. 64

Waterways Journal No. 24

The Red Earth revisited. Brian D. Cubbon, Peter R. Sandbach and Colin P. Woolard. Cumbria Amenity Trust Mining History Society. 274pp.
Haematite iron ore mining in the Furness peninsular and Millom: includes transport by railway