Locomotive Magazine and Railway Carriage
& Wagon Review
Volume 9 (1903)
Copy seen NRM, but decision made to purchase access to excellent pdf file available Rare Book Club as this volume is very large and will base operation on this
Number 111 (4 July 1903)
Ten-wheeled express locomotive, Glasgow & South Western Railway. 1.
Manson 4-6-0 with Belpaire boiler constructed North British Locomotive Co.: WN 15734-43.
Friction draft gear. 2
The locomotives of the London & Sourh Western.
Beattie 2-2-2 The Duke type; also tank engines both singles and four-coupled: see also Volume 38 pp. 260-1
The Londonderry & Lough Swilly Ry. and its connections. 8-10. map, illustrations
Great Eastern Railway. 10
Supplemental to the acceleration experiments with the decapod suburban tank locomotive, reported in detail in previous issues of The Locomotive Magazine, a series of trial runs were made on Sunday 28 June., with various standard engines over the measured course with the experimental train. The locomotives tested included No. 342, one of the a six-coupled tanks, No. 1860, one of the later Claud Hamilton's, No. 1189, a standard six-coupled goods engine with Belpaire firebox, and No. 769, a four-coupled passenger engine rebuilt with Belpaire firebox. There can be no doubt that these trials will result in the formation of many valuable data of a kind much to be desired by locomotive designers generally, and we hope in due course to be able to give details of the trips when the figures are in a form convenient for publication.
New tank locomotive, Prussian State Railways. 10-11.
Articulated ten-coupled locomotive split into sections linked by levers using the Hagan system and built by Henschel for the Stettin section for working freight from Stettin to Jasenitz
Petrol motors for turntables. 14
The death of the "dumb buffer". 14
Number 112 (11 July 1903)
Six-coupled goods locomotive, Cambrian Rys. 19. illustration
Robert Stephenson & Co. 0-6-0
Motor carriage, North Eastern Ry. 21. diagram (side
A petrol locomotive. 22. illustration
Harry North of Eltham model
Locomotive for the Imperial Railways of Japan. 22-3. illustration
Supplied by Dubs & Co. 4-4-0
Four-wheeled locomotive tender P.L.M. Ry. 23. diagram (side & rear elevations, plan)
New railways. 23
Caledonian Railway Connel Ferry to Ballachulish and Great Western Railway Scorrier to St. Agnes and New Quay [Newquay] branches nearly ready for opening
L.B. & S.C, Ry. locomotive "Bessborough". 24 illustration
With Drummond water tubes in firebox.
Mersey Railway. 24
Unsuccessful auction of steam locomotives
Reducing valve for steam heating apparatus. 25. diagram
Mason apparatus supplied by Crosby Steam Gauge & Valve Co.
Railway notes. 26
Great Southern & Western Ry. 26.
Pending the completion of the new connecting line between the Drurncondra link and Amiens Street Stations referred to in our last issue, the G.S. & W. Ry. mail boat trains were being worked over the M.G.W. North Wall Extension Railway by D.W. & W. locomotives of the 52-54 class, which were ten-wheeled bogie tank engines (4-4-2T) built by Sharp, Stewart & Co. in 1893 (WN 3909-11). By the new junction, when completed, the G. S. & W. R. will run engines and trains through to Kingstown Pier, avoiding the sharp incline of 1 in 51 from Newcomen junction to Amiens Street, and a frequent local service will also be instituted between stations on the G.S. & W. R., and Kingstown and Bray on the D.W.&W. Ry.
Peckett & Sons had delivered to the contractors constructing the Goold's Cross and Cashel section of the G.S. & W. Ry. a small narrow gauge saddle tank locomotive having outside cylinders and four coupled wheels named Cashel WN 1003/1903.
L. & N. W. R. 26
Ten new eight-coupled four-cylinder compound goods engines had been put into service, bearing Nos. 1272, 1273, 1404, 2024, 1274, 2571-5 (Crewe WN 4325-34 respectively). They had been sent out painted, and not m the usual lead colour in which new engines of the class had generally appeared at first.
The new six-coupled bogie engine No. 1400 was employed on fast goods work between Crewe and Carlisle and was giving satisfaction. A second engine of this class, No. 2033, (WN 4366) was turned out of the erecting shop on the 20 May? and put under steam ready for a trial trip.
No. 1880, the last of the three-cylinder compound goods engines, supplied experimentally with a cylindrical furnace and water tube grate when originally built in 1900, was then undergoing modification by the provision of a boiler similar to that of its predecessors. In the same way No. 2390, one of Webb's standard coal engines, which was at about the same time fitted with a rectangular firebrick-lined furnace, was running with its original boiler and ordinary firebox, the experimental boiler having been transferred to stationary work in the brick-making plant.
The special tank engines originally numbered 1985, 1986, 1989, 1992 and 1993 had been renumbered 3542 to 3546 respectively. Nos. 1400, 1404, 2023; 2024, 2033, special rebuilt DX goods engines, and No. 3519, had been withdrawn ..
One pair of driving wheels under No. 1301 Teutonic were originally the driving wheels of one of McConnell's 7-ft. Bloomers.
S. E. & C. R. American car express. 26
Commencing with June, an important acceleration has been made in the train leaving Charing Cross at 16.28 for Folkestone, which now makes the fastest run on the S.E. & C. system. Up to the beginning of last month it called at Cannon Street, London Bridge, Ashford and Sandling Junction, but by the new timing it runs from Cannon Street to Folkestone Central without a stop, leaving Cannon .Street at 16.36 and arriving at Folkestone Central at 18.02, thus covering the 68¾ miles in 86 minutes. The through load consists of six cars, with a slip portion tor Ashford consisting of one bogie coach and three six-wheel coaches. At first it was arranged to, add on Fridays only a further slip portion for New Romney, made up of one bogie coach and two six-wheelers, but this is now run separately. Harry S. Wainwright's latest type of coupled bogie engines, stationed at, Bricklayers' Arms shed, work this train in a very satisfactory manner with a load of 250 tons. The distance between Knockholt and Folkestone, 53½ miles, has been covered at an average speed of 57 miles per hour, including a reduction to 35 miles per hour in passing through Tonbridge Junction.
Dublin, Wicklow & Wexford Ry. 26-7
In amplification of our note in last issue, page 4, we give here a list of the four-coupled six-wheeled tank locomotives which had been converted into double-enders by the addition of a pair of trailing wheels [2-4-0T>2-4-2T] to carry the extended bunker, and of those built as such in the first instance: No. 3 St. Patrick (built 1898), No. 10 St. Sevanus (built 1896), No. 11 St. Kevin (built 1896), No. 12 St. Brigid (built 1901), and No. 40 St. Selskar (built 1902) A new engine of the same type has been built, and will shortly be running as No. 8.
The three passenger tank engines originally built by Beyer, Peacock & Co. in 1883, which had been supplied with new boilers, were respectively No. 42 Ballybrack (rebuilt 1902), No. 43 Shanganagh (rebuilt 1901) and No. 44 Dunleary (rebuilt 1902). These were four-wheels coupled side tank locornotives with a pair of leading wheels. [2-4-0T]
A small four-wheels coupled side tank engine, No. 41, built by the railway company about 21 years ago, has been supplied with a new boiler. In all the D.W. & W. Ry. possessed 64 engines, not including three or four on the duplicate list, and of these 25 were tender engines.
Australian Rys. 27
Writing to us on the matter of the recent abortive strike on the Victorian Rys., an Australian correspondent has forwarded some interesting photographs of trains running in the Commonwealth, one of which is reproduced here. The illustration shows the Adelaide express leaving Melbourne at 16.40 whence it ran right through. It wa handed over to the locomotive department of the S. Australian administration at Serviceton, the border station The photograph shows at the head of the train engine No. 536 AA, a standard express locomotive having 19in. by 26in. cylinders, fitted with piston valves, four-coupled driving wheels of 6ft. diameter, a leading bogie and a large boiler having 1,434ft2. of heating surface and carrying 180 psi. Engines of this class ran to Ballaarat, a distance of 74 miles, with only two stops, and climb 1,940 ft. in the first 61 miles. The load usually consisted of from 150 to 175 tons behind the tender.
Caledonian Ry. 27
No. 13, badly damaged in the Coupar Angus accident, had recently come from St. Rollox Works with a new boiler exactly similar to the one formerly supplied, and bearing a plate with the inscription, "Re-built, St. Rollox, 1903."
Great Eastern Railway. 27
Three new tank engines of the 791 class, Nos. 143-145, and another of the large bogie passenger engines, No. 186, had been built at Stratford works. The four-coupled passenger locomotive No. 760, formerly named Petrolea, had been rebuilt with a large boiler having a Belpaire firebox, and as in the case of the three of this general type previously rebuilt. had been painted the standard color. No. 760 was supplied with the tender formerly belonging to the six-wheeled single engine No. 1008, withdrawn from service. No. 1860 was running, fitted with indicating apparatus.
The total number of locomotives participating in the acceleration trials on Sunday, 28 May to which we referred briefly in our last issue, was twelve, in addition to the decapod, their numbers and classes being: No. 342, six-coupled suburban tank locomotive, No. 647 six-coupled goods locomotive, fitted with Westinghouse brake, No. 659,. double-ender tank [2-4-2T] of Mr.Worsdell's design, fitted with condensing gear, No. 769, four-coupled passenger engine rebuilt with new boiler and Belpaire firebox, No. 996, six-coupled goods engine of the 999 class, No. 1033, four-coupled passenger engine of the 710 class, No. 1040 double-ender main line tank engine with 5-ft. 8-in. driving wheels, Nos. 1187 and 1189, two of Holden's latest six-coupled goods engines, the latter of them provided with a Belpaire firebox, No. 1131, front-coupled bogie tank locomotive fitted with condensing gear, No. 1257, mixed traffic four-coupled tender engine, and No. 1860, four-coupled passenger engine of the 1870 class. Four runs were made in each direction by all the engines here enumerated and by the decapod, and the result in most cases appear to have been very satisfactory.
Highland Ry. 27.
No. 53 Strathpeffer had been re-named Lybster and was intended to work the Wick and Lybster Light Railway.
Number 113 (18 July 1903)
"Atlantic" type express locomotive, N.E.R. 36. diagram (side elevation).
Wilson Worsdell design
The Egyptian Government Railways and locomotives. 36-9.
The Marquis of Londonderry's Railway. 40-2. 4
Retirement of George Hardy, Manager and Engineer after 47 years service, Construction of the railway started in February 1853 and the line started to operate in August 1854. The line was constructed on the Marquis's land and was to assist with coal shipment from the harbour at Seaham. The line was taken over by the North Eastern Railway in 1900
Securing piston rods to crossheads. 42. 3 diagrams
Belfast & Northern Counties Railway locomotives. 43. 2 illustration
Great Western Ry. 43.
Railway notes. 44
Cooling coil for air-pump. 46. diagram
Either side wagon brakes. 46.
On 8 July 1903 the Railway Commission had sought to impose regulations for railway wagons to ensure that that they could be operated from either side, but the LNWR under Sir Frederick Harrison, and other comspanies objected to the Board of Trade wording and showed by tests on the grid irons [marshalling yards] at Edge Hill that they were impossible to comply with.
Number 114 (25 July 1903)
Heavy goods locomotive, North Eastern Ry. 51
1001 class No. 1032
Locomotive for the Imperial Railways of Japan. 22-3. illustration
Dubs 4-4-0 for 3ft 6in gauge system with 16 x 24in outside cylinders
Number 115 (1 August 1903)
New tank engine, L.T. & S. Ry. 69. illustration
Superheated steam for locomotives. 75
Canadian Pacific Parlway
Great Central Railway. 75 illustration
4-4-0 fitted with Westinghouse brake pump to work trains off "foreign" lines
Great Western Railway. 75-6
Trains with 3rd class refreshment cars listed. Two new first class sleeping cars for Bristol to Glasgow service leaving at 19.40 and returning at 17.55 and continued journey to Plymouth. Some of the latest engines of the Camel class, which had been running without being named, were now receiving name plates. One recently christened was No. 3421 David McIver.
Great Northern Ry. 76.
The last three engines of the 990 class completing a series of ten, were work, and numbered 250, 260, and 258 (Doncaster WN 1003, 1005 and 1006). It may be remarked that nine of these ten are supplied with the same type of boiler as their prototype No. 990, only one, No. 251, having so far been given the larger type. They were built, however, to be capable of being fitted with the 5-ft. 6-in. boiler should the trials now progressing with No. 251 show successful results. Five of Stirling's 8-ft. singles, Nos. 3, 47, 771, 772, and 777, had been withdrawn from service, as also Nos. 174 and 376, two of the 19-in. by 28-in. heavy mineral engines built in 1872. A number of Stirling's early bogie well-tank locomotives had disappeared from view.
Lancashire and Yorkshire Ry. 76
Engine involved in the accident to a Southport express train at the Waterloo station of the L. & Y.R., on the 15 July was No. 670, one of the standard four wheels coupled double-ender side tank locomotives. It was built at the Horwich works of the company in 1899, the works number being 665.
London and North Western Ry. 76
Ten new four cylinder compound passenger engines were to be fitted with Belpaire fireboxes, would shortly be put in hand. The first five had been allotted the following numbers and names :-No. 1971 Euryalus, 1972 Hindustan, 1973 Hood, 1974 Howe, and 1975 Jupiter, the Crewe numbers being 4335 to 4339. By an error, the works number of No. 2033, the second engine of the 1400 class, was given in a recent issue as 4366. It should be 4376. A curious mistake occurred in the spelling of the name of No. 1961, the first of the latest series of ten engines of the Alfred the Great class. The name plate was isdued with the name spelt Albermarle, and this had to be withdrawn. Pending the supply of the corrected nameplate Albemarle, the engine ran without a name. Two at least of old G.W.R. broad gauge engines ran throughout their career with wrongly-spelt names. Estaffete instead of Estafette, and Blenkensop instead of Blenkinsop. Ten new eight wheels coupled four-cylinder compound goods engines were on hand at Crewe, but had not reached the stage of being numbered. One of the old AlIan single-drivers which until recently ran in modified form as Engineer, Lancaster, was now Engineer, South Wales. The engine replacing it at Lancaster is a 6-ft. four wheels coupled engine, of the curved-link Jumbo class, No. 414 Prospero, re-numbered 3273. Two Webb standard coal engines, originally Nos, 41 and 2080, had been withdrawn from service, having been re-numbered 3604 and 3605 respectively. No. 1095 of this type was last year sold to the Manchester and Milford Railway (see previous Volume page 32).
An Indian inspection train. 76. illustration
Accompanying photograph supplied by an Indian correspondent, shows an inspection special train in the Quetta (Frontier) district ot the N.W. Ry. ot India, drawn by one of the heavy engines of the " L " class.
The Late Mr. Charles R. Dübs. 76
Death, on 20 June 1903, of Charles Ralph Dubs, of the well known firm of Messrs. Dubs & Co., locomotive builders, Polmadie, Glasgow, now one of the associated companies forming the North British Locomotive Co., Ltd. Mr. Dubs was the second son of the founder of the works at Polmadie, and on the death of his elder brother some years ago took full control of the establishment. Under his effective management, the business assumed large proportions and became one of the most important locomotive building establishment in the United Kingdom.
Number 116 (8 August 1903)
Eight wheels coupled side tank locomotive, G.N.R. 83-4. illustration, diagram (side & front elevations)
Wood fuel for locomotives. 84-6.
The Egyptian Government Railways and locomotives. 101
Robert Stephenson four-coupled locomotive with outside cylinders.
Number 117 (15 August 1903)
No. 9, Great Western Railway. 97-8. illustration
Rebuilt as 2-2-2 from 4-2-4T with 7½ft driving wheels. The chief novely in the rebuilt form consisted in placing the eccentrics and motion outside the driing wheels. Neither Dean nor Churchward is mentioned.
Number 118 (22 August 1903)
Motor cars on the G.W.R. 118
Apparently motor cars are to be extensively used on the G.W.R. Judging from the chairman's remarks at the recent half-yearly meeting, the company have already suffered, and probably in the future will suffer more, in some districts from the competition of electric trams and motor cars.
A service of motors is to be inaugurated on the railway tracks: each car is to carry fifty-two passengers, and have its own motive power. The first to be put in service will probably work between Stonehouse and Chalford, and should be ready in October next. The cars will stop not only at the regular stations, but, with the sanction of the Board of Trade, at level crossings of roads coming up to the railway. By this means it is hoped to give a quick local service, charging an uniform fare like that of a tramway company.
Another proposal is to feed the railway by motor cars on the different roads, and arrangements have been made for five cars to be purchased, each of which will accommodate twenty-two passengers. The first two commenced running between Helston and the Lizard on17 August.
In aiming at securing new traffic, as compared with any attempts to enter into competition with electric tramways, etc., we venture to think the directors of the G.W.R. wise. As to complaints made against these rivals, the Railway Companies are themselves to blame for neglecting local traffic and waiting until such systems are at work before making any effort to modify and improve the conditions they force upon their patrons. To enter into a contest with an electric tram line with an equipment of one or two motor cars is futile and ludicrous; better by far institute new services and so render the construction of electric lines unnecessary.
If a motor car, operated with an internal combustion engine, is to be successful in the railway service the latter must be able to consume some cheaper fuel than "petrol"; the price of this commodity has long since become prohibitive for such use. The engines must be designed to work with heavy benzine or ordinary kerosene. This is a comparatively simple problem, and doubtless the motor makers will provide the necessary machines.
Railway notes. 118.
London & North Western Ry. 118.
An experiment was being tried with one of the four cylinder compound passenger engines, No. 1952 Benbow, and if successful it was possible all the Jubilee type would be treated similarly. The rocking shafts, through which the h.p. valves were operated from tail rods on the l.p. valve stems, were being taken out, and the h.p. piston valves were supplied with separate Joy's valve gear. The reason for this alteration was to enable the driver to "notch up " the h.p. cylinders without similarly adjusting the l.p. gear. The distribution of steam would, in this arrangement, be on a somewhat similar principle to that in use on the Northern of France compounds. The results will doubtless be watched with great interest by locomotive engineers generally.
The last two of the new order for ten of. the " Alfred the Great" class were to be numbered and named 1979 Nelson, and 1980 Neptune," (Crewe WN. 4343-4344). Nos. 1971 and 1972, the first of the same order, are ready for their trial trips. The others are all well under weigh. The new series of ten 8-coupled compound goods engines, which were referred to on page 104 of our last issue, have been starte:l upon, the frames of a few having been already laid down.
Midland Ry. 118.
All the single framed goods engines were to be rebuilt with boilers similar to those of the 2736 class, as illustrated on page 313, vol. VIII. Many of the old boilers thus discarded were to be fitted to the double framed goods engines as required. No. 2311 was the first of the former class to be so treated,and No. 2166 is now out also fitted with the larger boiler.
Nos. 829-822 were now at Leeds, and Nos. 823- 829 were to be stationed at Manchester .. A third engine of the compound class, No. 2634, had been undergoing trials.
Great Western Ry 118.
Two new engines of the No. 100 class, with six-coupled wheels 6-ft. 8-in. in diameter, outside cylinders and leading bogie, were now out and were doing good work on experimental trains. No. 97 was running well and made plenty of steam, working the 11.20 express out of Swindon westwards over the new South Wales line. No. 98 had been employed at Swindon testing the action of brakes on long trains. This latter engine attained a speed of 78 miles per hour with a train consisting of eleven 4-wheeled bogie coaches and one 6-wheeled coach.
No. 3297 Earl Cawdor had been rebuilt with a new 5ft. 6in. boiler, and a cab somewhat resembling the G.E.R. pattern.
Caledonian Ry. 118.
No. 699, a six-coupled goods engine built at St. Rollox in 1893 from the designs of the late Mr. Lambie, and fitted with the Westinghouse brake, had recently been rebuilt with a new boiler of the" Dunalastair " type.
Trains used during the Royal Visit to Ireland. 119.
GNRI No. 124; MGWR No. 129 Celtic and GSWR No. 368
Narrow gauge locomotives. 120-1.
Avonside Engine Co. Ltd.
The Paris Metropolitan Ry. disaster. 121.
Precis amplified by Wikipedia (2013-06-04). The orginal report noted previous collision and fire on Paris and Versailles Railway on 8 May 1842 when a locomotive axle broke and 52 died, but the report hereat did not give death toll (84) when severe arcing and gross mismanagement led to a fire at Couronne station involving several trains.
A reminiscence of the [Boer] War. 121. illustration.
Transvaal Railway locomotive Africa damaged by Boer shell.
Number 119 (29 August 1903)
Fast goods engine, North Eastern Railway. 125-6. illustration
John Kitching design Stockton & Darlington Railway design of 0-6-0 for excursion traffic
Number 120 (5 September 1903)
The Pegasus of the present day. 139-40. illustration
Shows motor car alongside a steam locomotive
Number 121 (12 September 1903)
Fast goods locomotive, Great Eastern Ry. 153-4. illustration.
An Italian railway ferry. 161. illustration
Across Strait of Messina to Sicily
The first proposed compound. 161. diagram
Thomas Craddock: four cylinders; water tube boiler and Crmpton-type configuration locomotive,
Number 122 (19 September 1903)
Llanelly Railway, old passenger engine. 167. illustration.
Hopkins GIlkes 2-4-0 with outside cylinders WN 208/1865. 5ft coupled wheels; withdrawn 1883. WN 207/1865 became Loughor, then No. 901 (GWR) and was converted from tender type to saddle tank
Number 123 (26 September 1903)
Ten-wheeled compound locomotive, Canadian Pacific Railway. 181-2. illustration, diagram (side elevation)
Suburban tank locomotives, Eastern Railway of
France/ 183; 182. 2 illustrations, 2 diagrams (side elevations)
4-6-0T and 0-8-0T classses designed by L. Salomon of Chemins de fer de l'Est.
The Solway Junction Railway. 184. illustration
Neilson & Co. WN 1388/1868 and 1389/1868 were built for the London, Chatham & Dover Railway, but were not delivered in time and were acquired by the Solway Junction Railway: they had 5ft coupled wheels and inside cylinders. McIntosh rebuilt them with larger boilers (illustrated in this form) and standard Caledomian Railway fittings. Damage to the bridge by ice in January 1881 and its subsequent cllosure for nearly three years is mentioned..
The Constance Express leaving Zurich, North Eastern Railway of Switzerland.
Two-cylinder compound 4-4-0 hauling it.
West Midland (GWR) passenger engine. 185. illustration
R. & W. Hawthorn 2-4-0 supplied eleven 2-4-0 to the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway in 1862. They became GWR Nos. 171 to 181.
Recent Belfast and County Down locomotives. 186-88.
Belfast & County Down Ry. extended from Belfast, Queen's Quay, to Newcastle, with branches to Bangor, Donaghadee, Ballynahinch, and Ardglass. The first section of the track, from Belfast to Holywood, on the Bangor line, was opened for traffic on the and of August, 1848; the first portion of the main line was opened to Comber, together with a branch to Newtownards, on the 6 May 1850. Additional sections were opened to Ballynahinch on the roth of September, 1858, to Downpatrick 23 March, 1859, to Donaghadee 1861, to Bangor 1865, to Newcastle, 1869, and to Ardglass 1892. The Holywood and Bangor line was for some time worked by a separate company; but in 1884 it was taken over by the Belfast & County Down Ry. The Newcastle and Downpatrick line was constructed by a separate company, but had always been worked by the Belfast & County Down Ry.; it was transferred in 1881.
The total length of the system open was 76¼ miles, of which the 17½ miles of track between Belfast and Bangor and Comber was double line; a further contemplated extension from Newcastle to Castlewellan was under construction, and would be about 8 miles in length when completed.
The locomotive stock included 31 engines, but all the older ones had been broken up, and only the more recent types; it will be noticed on reference to the subjoined list that several were two-cylinder compounds on the Worsdell-von Borries' system.
The standard express engines had four-coupled wheels and a pair of leading wheels (2-4-0); the latest of these (No. 6) was built by Messrs. Beyer, Peacock & Co., Gorton Foundry, Manchester, in 1894. It had coupled wheels 6-ft. diameter and leading wheels 4-ft. 2¼-in. diameter. The wheel-base was proportioned as follows: leading to driving 7-ft. 6-in., driving to trailing 7-ft.; the cylinders, which were inside, were 10-in. diameter by 24-in. stroke; the heating surface of the tubes was 768 ft2., and of the firebox 82 ft2.., total 850 ft2..; the grate area is 14.8 ft2., and the pressure 170 psi.; in working order the engine weighed 38½ tons; the tender ran on six wheels 3-ft. 7¾-in. diameter and had a wheelbase of 11-ft. ; its capacity is 1,400 gallons of water and 90 ft3 of fuel space; it weighs in working order 22 tons, Three engines of this class, Nos. 23, 24 and 25, were two-cylinder compounds on the Worsdell-von Borries' principle, which had been adopted on several of the Irish railways, notably on that under review and the Belfast & Northern Counties Railway, and were built by Beyer, Peacock & Co., Gorton Foundry, in 1892. The high pressure cylinders had a diameter of 16-in. and the low pressure 23¼ -in., both having a 24-in. stroke; in all other dimensions they were exactly similar to No. 6. Though in no way out of the ordinary in the matter ot dimensions, they present a handsomer and well- proportioned appearance. This class of engine works the expresses in summer, which ran the 37½ miles from Belfast to Newcastle without a stop in an hour or less.
Recently built passenger tank engines had four-coupled wheels, a leading bogie and a trailing radial axle: (4-4-2T) they were numbered 3, 15 and 30 and built by Beyer Peacock & Co., in 1901. The driving wheels were 5-ft. 6-in. diameter, the bogie wheels 3-ft., and the trailing wheels 4-ft. 2¼-in., the cylinders had a diameter of 17-in., with a 24-in, stroke; the rigid wheelbase was 8-ft. 3-in., and the total 27-ft. 3-in. The tubes provided a heating surface of 1,028 ft2., and the firebox 102 ft2, total 1,130 ft2.; grate area 17.2 ft2.. and the boiler pressure 160 psi.; tanks capacity of 1,600 gallons, and the bunker held 90 ft3 fuel; total weight in working order 55½ tons. These extremely fine locomotives worked local and main line traffic very satisfactorily. Another powerful class of ten-wheeled tank engine was also illustrated. These engines were 2-cylinder compounds, but as they had already been described in these columns, it will only be necessary to note that the 4-coupled driving wheels were 5-ft. diameter, so that they were evidently not built for high speed; the tanks were contained under the coal in the bunker. The numbers of this class are 18, 19, 21 and 22, but No. 22 had been rebuilt as a simple locomotive. In 1896 and 1897, Beyer, Peacock & Co. supplied the company with a powerful class of 4-coupled double radial tank engines (2-4-2T), numbered 5, 7, 8, 27, 28, 29. The locomotives, one of which is illustrated, had driving wheels 5-ft. 6-in. diameter, leading radial wheels 4-ft. 2¼-in. diameter, and trailing ditto 4-ft.; the rigid wheelbase was 7-ft., and the total wheelbase 20-ft. 8-in.; the cylinders have a diameter of 16-in., with a 24-in. stroke; the heating surface of the tubes was 884 ft2., and that of the firebox 87 ft2.; total 971 ft2t. The grate area 14.8 ft2 and the pressure 160 lbs. psi the tanks capacity 1,100 gallons and the bunker of 90 ft3 fuel; the weight of the engine in working order 49 tons 10 cwt.
This class of engine was principally employed on the Holywood and Bangor line, where there was a large local traffic; the company also ran steamers from Belfast to Bangor. A good deal of the newer passenger stock consists of modern bogie vehicles, but there are still a number of old carriages running which might well find a place in the scrap heap.
In a future article we hope to give an account of some of the older types of locomotives, and in conclusion beg to tender our best thanks to R. G. Miller, the locomotive superintendent, for the dimensions of the locomotives and the facilities to take the photographs from which our illustrations are reproduced; also for the following list of locomotives under his charge: [KPJ: note original copy contains typesetting errors and assumtions have been made for Nos. 15 to 19]-
|1||4-coupled in front tender||Sharp, Stewart & Co.||Since rebuilt as a tank engine|
|2||4-coupled in front side tank||Sharp, Stewart & Co.||Rebuilt from tender engine|
|3||4-coupled bogie, 10-wheeled side tank||Beyer, Peacock & Co.|
|3A||6-wheels, 4-coupled saddle tank||Vulcan Foundry.|
|4||6-coupled goods tender||Beyer, Peacock & Co.|
|5||4-coupled double radial side tank||Beyer, Peacock & Co.|
|6||4-coupled express engine (non-compd.)||Beyer, Peacock & Co.|
|7||4-coupled double radial side tank||Beyer, Peacock & Co.|
|8||4-coupled double radial side tank||Beyer, Peacock & Co.|
|9||Rebuilt 4-coupled in front side tank||Sharp, Stewart & Co.||Rebuilt from tender engine|
|10||Rebuilt 4-coupled in front side tank||Sharp, Stewart & Co.||Rebuilt from tender engine|
|11||6-wheels, 4-coupled saddle tank||Vulcan Foundry.|
|12||Small 4-coupled tender engine||Beyer, Peacock & Co.||since scrapped|
|13||Rebuilt 4-coupled in front side tank||Sharp, Stewart & Co.||Rebuilt from tender engine|
|14||6-coupled goods tender||Vulcan Foundry.|
|15||4-coupled bogie, 10-wheeled tank||Beyer, Peacock & Co.|
|16||Rebuilt 4-coupled in front side tank||Sharp, Stewart & Co.||Rebuilt from tender engine|
|17||6-wheels, 4-coupled saddle tank||Vulcan Foundry.|
|18||4-cpld. bogie, 10-wheeled compd. tank||Beyer, Peacock & Co.|
|19||4-cpld. bogie, 10-wheeled compd. tank||Beyer, Peacock & Co.|
|29||6-wheels, 4-coupled saddle tank||Vulcan Foundry.|
|21||4-cpld. bogie, 10-wheeled compd. tank||Beyer, Peacock & Co.|
|22||4-cpld. bogie, 10-wheeled compd. tank||Beyer, Peacock & Co.||converted to simple engine|
|23||4-coupled express tender compound||Beyer, Peacock & Co.|
|24||4-coupled express tender compound||Beyer, Peacock & Co.|
|25||4-coupled express tender compound||Beyer, Peacock & Co.|
|26||6-coupled goods tender||Vulcan Foundry.|
|27||4-coupled double radial side tank||Beyer, Peacock & Co.|
|28||4-coupled double radial side tank||Beyer, Peacock & Co.|
|29||4-coupled double radial side tank||Beyer, Peacock & Co.|
|30||4-cpld. bogie, 10-wheeled compd. tank||Beyer, Peacock & Co.|
Royal journey to Scotland. 188
In his journey from Ruftord Abbey to Ballater on the 14 September 2003, H.M. the King travelled by the East Coast route in a train which is the property of the Great North of Scotland Rv. This is the first instance on record in which this railway company has provided a Royal train for a through journey from England, and says much for the up-to-date resources of the smallest railway in Scotland. During its progress, the train was greatly admired at the various stations en route,
Railway notes. 188-9
South Eastern Ry, of Portugal. 188
The six large express locomotives ordered from A. Borsig, of Berlin-Tegel, for this line, were due to be delivered on the 18 September 1903, and it was expected that a further order of considerable importance will be placed with the same makers. The gauge of the Portuguese South Eastern Ry. is 5-ft. 6-in.
Compound locomotives in Austria. 188
The Aussig-Teplitz Ry. (Bohemia), had delivered a compound Mogul goods locomotive (2-6-0), wiith three cylinders, one high and two low pressure, somewhat after the arrangement of the Smith system in the UK. The cranks were set at angles of 120°. This engine was designed for fast trains over a hilly section of the line.
The ten-wheels coupled class of compound goods locomotive (Golsdorf system) illustrated and described in the Locomotive Magazine for August, 1900 (p. 127, Vol. V.) and which was chiefly designed for hauling heavy coal trains on the Klostergrab-Moldau line in Bohemia, has also been tried on the Semmering railway, four locomotives of the same type having been supplied to the Austrian Southern Railway. They were found to work excellently on the Semmering incline, taking loads of from 290 to 305 tons up the gradients of I in 40 and on curves of 600-ft. radius. It was found, however, that though the maximum load per axle permitted on the line is 14.500 kg. (14 tons 4 cwt.) and the maximum load of the engines on anyone axle was only 13.430 kg. (13 tons 3 cwt.), the track appeared to be too weak; the rails, which weigh 78 lbs. per yard, showed great wear on the curves. Accordingly these large locomotives have been restricted to easier sections of road, until the Semmering incline has been relaid with heavier rails.
London, Brighton & South Coast Ry. 188
Four new radial tank locomotives were now running, No. 579 Roehampton, No. 580 Sharmanbury, No. 581 Wamingcamp, and No. 582 Horndean. They had short chimneys.
Belgian State Railways. E. Kellhoff.
Re article" Belgian State Rys," page 129:, your statement "the third class accommodation on State Rys. is limited to slow trains" is incorrect. In fact, almost all our expresses carry third class passengers, the only exceptions being some international trains and a very few seaside trains. As to the hideous appearance of the older locomotives; I quite agree with you; but it is only justice to add that since the" Breadalbane" type has been adopted, a very large number of engines of this type have been put on work Besides these, our engineers have designed a six-coupled goods engine and a four-coupled bogie tank in the same style, both of which classes are to be found in considerable numbers on main and branch lines.
A flexible firebox. Mernok
The use of vertical corrugated plates for the longitudinal sides of the firebox is probably due to Macy of the Swiss Eastern Ry. Their first application appears to date as far back as 1867, when the boiler pressure on that railway was raised to 170 lbs. on the square inch. The same arrangement was also adopted in 1880 or thereabouts on the Kaiserin Elizabeth Westbahn (now part of the Austrian State Rys.) where it did not seem to be particularly successful. I have also found the same arrangement on the Roumanian Rys. in a series of goods engines. One of these engines exploded about 1884, i.e. the firebox collapsed through shortness of water. As the firebox was of copper, this need not to be wondered at, but there was a difference of view on the matter between the Roumanian and Hungarian engineers who had to report on the explosion. . The Roumanians held that the staying (like that shown 111 your sketch) was insufficient, whereas the Hungarian State engineers and amongst them Herr von Stammer of Kronstadt (Brasso ) maintained that the staying was quite satisfactory and the firebox gave way only on account of the overheating of the crown plate. This also was my impression from an examination of the disabled boiler. Nevertheless the number of stays in the remaining engines of the Roumanian Rys. was doubled, that is, each of the "vales" of the corrugated plate was provided with a vertical row of stays. According to the K.K. Direction fur Eisenbahn-betrieb, the top part of the wrappers of the firebox had bulged outwards at the "springing" for want of cross stays. In all these engines the crown and side sheets were formed of one plate, and as in Macy's original design the crown plate was of necessity also corrugated. The corrugated crown plate alone has been adopted on French locomotives. I am not quite sure whether vertically corrugated steel plates were not used in the United States at the time when their railroads substituted steel for copper in the construction of fireboxes.
Answers to correspondents. 192
Painting the end pipes red means on some lines "pipe only," and not a "braked" vehicle, but unfortunately the rule is not. general. The L.T. & S.R. apparently paint the end pipes of all horse-boxes, etc., red.
The carriage and wagon depaartment. 193-
Train de luxe, Rhodesia Rys. 193. 3 illustrations
For weekly servce between Bulawayo and Cape Town
Number 124 (3 October 1903)
Great Northern Ry. 195-6. illustration
The October time tables and fast running. 196.
Early "standard" goods engine, N.E. Ry. 197. illustartion
The possibilities of oil fuel. 198. diagram (side elevation)
A Morton Bell presented a paper ton the British Association at Southport where he proposed a twin locomotive with two boilers and two sets of cylinders with the cab in the middle, made possible by oil firing. A large bogie tender consisted of a cylindrical tank divided into sections for fuel oil and water
Sharp's single engine, Great Western Railway. 199, illustration
Shrewsbury & Chester Railway 2-2-2; the majority of which had 5ft 6in driving wheels and 15 x 20in cylinders: Nos. 9, 10 and 13 were built in 1847; Nos. 14, 21 and 22 were built in 1848; No. 23 in 1849; and Nos. 27 and 28 in 1853. No. 9 was converted to a well-tank. No. 14 differed in having 5ft driving wheels and 14 x 20in cylinders: it was Sharp WN 555. It was taken over by the GWR in 1854 and retained its original number. It was retaained after thee others had been broken up and remained in the running shed at Wolverhampton. It is illustrated.
Highland Railway. 199.
Both engines and carriages were being painted plain dark green without any border or lining. This even applied to the buffer beams (rather than the almost univeral red). No. 62 Huntingtower had been renamed Aukt Wharrie.
Wear of cylinders. 199.
Examination for wear and cleaning
Colne Valley Ry. 199
E.S. Hawkins appointed general manager in place of George Copus who had retired.
Railway notes. 202
Lancashire & Yorkshire Ry. 202
Report of the enquiry into the circumstances attending the disaster at Waterloo Station on 15 July 1903: the train was a fast from Liverpool to Southport timed to do the first 17¼ miles, start to stop, in 20 minutes, the average speed throughout exceeding 50 miles per hour. It was thought, at the time, that excessive speed on the curve which is encountered immediately before reaching Waterloo might have been the cause of the engine becoming derailed. The cause of the mishap, however, had now been more directly traced to the falling of the spring of the rear coupled wheel on the right hand side. This defect would throw more weight on the left hand wheel on the same axle, leaving the right hand one free and liable to jump the rail at any moment, especially when travelling at a high speed on a sharp curve. As the derailment occurred on the right hand side, inside the curve on which the train was travelling. it seems more than probable that the explanation given is correct. The report, however, concludes with a suggestion that 35 miles per hour should be the speed in future on the Waterloo curve.
This company has recently had built by Vickers, Sons & Maxim, of Barrow, two twin-screw steamers, Colleen Bawn and Mellifont, of 400 h.p. each, for service between Liverpool and Drogheda. This latter port is situated about 30 miles north of Dublin on the Great Northern Ry. (Ireland), and if the connection between the Midland and Great Western by way of Navan comes into force, passengers from the L. & Y. system will have easy access to the West of Ireland, over an entirely new route. The present traffic between the two ports is entirely for cattle, but the new steamers had accommodation for 75 saloon passengers.
Great Central Ry. 202.
No. 56, eight-wheels coupled goods· locomotive was making trial trips. Three of the earliest series, Nos. 1052-1O5-l, were stationed at Grimsby sheds, and working 55 loaded, and 80 empty coal trucks, between Hexthorpe and Grimsby docks.
Caledonian Ry. 202.
An experiment was made with one of the eight-coupled goods engines, No. 602, hauling a train of thirty of the large 30-tons wagons over a section of the line between Glasgow and Perth.
The two six-coupled bogie engines were giving every satisfaction. No. 49 was stationed at Glasgow, and No. 50 at Carlisle. Owing to the great length of wheelbase, these engines and tenders cannot be accommodated on some of the existing turntables; consequently, the tender had to be uncoupled from the engine, and each dealt with separately. This procedure was practised in other cases where limited turntable accommodation exists, and as an instance of this we illustrate the turning of a P.L M. engine and tender at a station on the Reviera. We would, however, suggest the possibility of providing double-ender tenders in these cases so as at least to save the turning of the tender; furthermore, the couplings might be arranged to standard patterns.
A collision between two mineral trains on the Glasgow underground at the Central Station on the 25 September. unfortunately caused the deaths of the driver and fireman of the colliding engine.
Furness Ry. 202
The number plates which formerly were nearly all on the barrels of the boilers were now being placed on the side sheets where the maker's plates used to be; the latter put inside the cabs.
Number 125 (10 October 1903)
Great Western Railway locomotives. 209-10. 2 illustrations
Includes 2-8-0 Consolidation No. 97 and 4-4-0 No. 3297 Earl Cawdor
The brakes. 211
Arrangement of brake apparatus, S.E.&C. Ry. tank. 211.
Dual valve for working vacuum and air brakes with vacuum ejector outside cab: No. 556 illustrated
Air brakes on Caledonian Ry, goods stock. 211
Over 400 30 ton bogie wagons were fitted with air brakes and were marshalled at front of trains to increase brake power available
The Lehigh Valley Ry. Co. 211
Fitted all passenger cars with high speed air brake.
Hard rubbers of couplings. 211
Suggested use of hot water to soften hardened rubber to ensure airtight coupling
Burst hose pipe clip. 211. diagram
The Egyptian Government Railways and locomotives. 212-14. 4 illustrations
Early railway reminiscences. 214
Contract system of driving on Eastern Counties Railway encouraged drivers to illicit raising of boiler pressure and one driver kept his loads down by inducing steam leakage to discourage wagons being added to his train
A novel mining locomotive. 214-15. illustration,
Hydroleum Co. narrow gauge oil-fired indirect drive for South African mines
Dutch steamtramwegen. 216-17. 6 illustrations
Steam tram services in Holland
Number 126 (17 October 1903)
Midland locomotives. 223. illustration
Nos. 780-99 built by Dubs in 1870. Kirtley 0-4-4T No. 781 illustrated
Railway progress in Palestine. 225. illustration
The Lee-on-the-Solent Light Railway. 226-7. illustration, 2 diagrams (side elevations)
Number 127 (24 October 1903)
New G.S. & W. Ry. 237. illustration
Coey 4-4-0 built North British Locomotive Co.
North British Ry. 241
The first six new express engines, Nos. 317 to 322, were running between Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen. The old front coupled engines formerly having the Nos. 317 to 322, had been renumbered 1058 to 1063.
London & South Western Ry. 241
Four new 6-ft. bogie locomotives were working Salisbury and Exeter express services were Nos. 395 and 396, stationed at Exmouth Junction, and Nos. 397 and 398 at Salisbury. No. 399 was stationed at Nine Elms. More engines of the mixed traffic class, having four-wheels coupled of 5-ft. 7-in. diameter, a leading bogie, inside cylinders and water tube boilers, were shortly to be built at Nine Elms, also more of the large standard type bogie tank engines. Of the mixed traffic engines already built, some were working in the Plymouth district, being stationed at Friary. and Exeter.
London & North Western Ry. 241
Two new eight-coupled four-cylindered compound goods engines hag been turned out from Crewe works, bearing Nos. 1308 and 1310 (WN 4361-2). The special (rebuilt) Dx goods engines which previously bore these numbers were in the duplicate list, renumbered 3566-7. One of the famous Problem class, No. 134 Owl had been withdrawn from service. It was built in May, 1860 (Crewe No. 443). No more engines of this type were to be re-painted.
Great Western Ry. 241
Some further new engines of the. Camel class with taper boiler barrels had been turned out at Swindon and are . numbered and named: 3445 Ilfracombe, 3446 Liverpool, 3447 Paddington, WN being 2005-2007 respectively. No. 3215, a 6-ft. four-coupled passenger engine had been rebuilt with a domeless boiler, new cab. etc. No. 3297 Earl Cawdor was running fitted up for experimental purposes to test the efficiency of the increased boiler capacity, etc. The second steam railway motor car was running in turn with No. 1, between Chalford and Stonehouse: both were giving great satisfaction.
North Staffordshire Ry. 241
A new style ot painting the locomotive stock of this railway was in process of adoption. The ground color was madder lake, lined with pale yellow, edged with vermilion and black. On the tender were the words"North Stafford" in gold letters shaded with vermilion and black, divided by the company's coat of arms. The engine number was in brass block figures on the sides of the engine, in lieu of being painted on the buffer-beams as before.
London, Tilbury & Southend Ry. 241
The name of locomotive No. 55 on this line had been changed from Wellington Road to Bow Road.
Glasgow & South Western Ry. 241
Three of the four-wheels coupled trailing bogie tank locomotives, Nos. 326, 327 and 333, had been rebuilt with new boilers. They were built by Neilson & Co. in 1893, and run an average of 2,900 miles per month. Three new six-coupled side tank locomotives, Nos. 203. 210 and 211, had been put in service for shunting in: goods yards. They were similar in dimensions to the six-coupled tender engines and are supplied with modern steam fittings, including Gresham & Craven injectors. The three Stirling mixed traffic engines which bear the above numbers are now in the "A" list.
Great Southern & Western Ry. 241
Order placed for four side tank and twelve six-coupled goods locomotives, with the North British Locomotive Co., Ltd.
Canadian Pacific Ry 241.
The first two engines of the compound type built by the North British Locomotive Co., Ltd., and similar to those constructed for this railway by the Saxon Engine Works (late Richard Hartmann), Ltd., at Chemnitz, as illustrated in our issue of September 26th, had been shipped. They were numbered 981 and 982 (WN 16034-5), and were supplied with fittings identical with those described in connection with the Continental built locomotives.
Dublin, Wicklow & Wexford Ry. 241
Ten-wheeled tank locomotive No. 54, has been named Duke ot Leinster. The extension of this line from New Ross to Waterford, mentioned in our issue of July 4th, last, was now complete and to openfor goods traffic shortly, and for passenger traffic on 1 January 1904.
Compound express engine No. 304, North Eastern Ry. 244. illustration
Tank locomotive with shunting tender, Caledonian Ry. 244. illustration
17 x 20in cylinders; 4ft coupled wheels: saddle tank
Water ssoftening. 245. 244. illustration
Kennicott type used on Union Pacific RR illustrated.
Number 128 (31 October 1903)
Bogie goods locomotive, Great North of Scotland Ry. 251. illustrations
Cowan 4-4-0 with influence of D.K. Clark.
The Beira and Mashonoland Rys. 252-3. 4
Headquarters at Umtali. Locomotives included 4-8-0 and 4-4-0.
The Beira & Mashonaland is a heavy line, the ruling gradients being 1 in 50, with curves of a radius of 5 chains. The standard engines are eight-wheels coupled with bogies, and have cylinders 17-in. by z j-In., the diameter of the coupled wheels being 3-ft. 6-in. The working steam pressure is 160 lbs. per sq. in., and the weight of engine and tender in working order is Bot tons. The four-wheels coupled bogie engine also illustrated, has cylinders 14-in. by ze-in, and 4-ft. 7-in. drivers.
The rolling stock is all on the bogie principle, the wagons being constructed to carry loads of 20, 25 and 30 tons. The carriage stock is built on the corridor system and includes sleeping cars with lavatory accommodation and Stone's system of electric lighting.
The permanent way consists of 60 lb. rails and . steel sleepers, the former being fastened direct on to the latter by means of steel keys. The company has been handicapped in the past by many washouts during the rainy season, which have impeded traffic, but the engineer's depart- ment is coping very satisfactorily with such difficulties, and detentions are now happily few and far between.
The following gentlemen constitute the administrative staff: manager, Charles Wibberley; locomotive superintendent, W.F. Gibbons; resident engineer, A. Soley; traffic superintendent, Mr. Griffin; and accountant, . W. Curtis.
The headquarters are at Umtali, where the locomotive shops are also located. The staff consists of about 500 Europeans and 3,000 native labourers.
The accompanying photos give a good idea -of what the rolling stock and line are like.
Railway Notes. 253
Midland Ry. 253
Two of the new three-cylinder compound engines were working passenger trains between Derby and Nottingham, preparatory to being put to main line work. No 2633 to be stationed at Nottingham, and 2634 at Kentish Town. These two engines had boilers similar to 2631, but No. 2635, which is just out of the shops, had Serve tubes like No. 2632. The last three engines differed from Nos. 2631 and 2632 in one essential particular, viz., that there was only one reversing gear for the high and low pressure cylinders, whereas in 2631-2 the gears were independent. The gear was so arranged that the cut-off in the L.P. cylinder is later than that in the H.P. for all positions of the reversing screw. The chimneys were of the same form as that of No. 2631, and not of the new taper pattern without liners. The new engines had been doing excellent work on their trial trips, their running at high speeds being remarkably smooth. The tenders carry 4,500 gallons of water, and were fitted with water scoops.
Somerset & Dorset Joint Ry. 253
Three new express engines with 5-ft. 9-in. wheels had been built for the joint line by the Midland Ry. at Derby shops. The motion, etc .. was the same as in the eight engines of the No. 15 class, but the new engines had larger boilers, the same as those of the new No. 2736 class of goods engines, with round topped dome, Ramsbottom and lock up safety valves in a single brass casing over the firebox, and new taper chimneys. The tenders larger than those then in use on the S. & D.J .R. carrird 2,950 gallons of water, and their axleboxes fitted with brass oil boxes on the top. The numbers were 69, 70 and 71. The coupling rods of the engines I section.
North to south. 253
A conference between representatives of the chief South Coast watering places and the leading railway companies was contemplating securing through communication between northern towns and the south without breaking the journey in London.
Four-cylinder compound locomotive, Baden State Rys. 254-5. illustration
Sanding the rails. 255
Water columns. 256-7. 5 illustrations
British, Belgian, Austrian and American practice illustrated
Monmouthshire Ry. tank engine. 257. illustration
Sharp Bros. 2-4-0WT WN 604 and 606 of 1849 were RN 9 and 10 and became GWR 1301 and 1301
Number 129 (7 November 1903)
The Egyptian Government Railways and locomotives. 266-8
Koechlin large dome "Frenchman"
Number 130 (14 November 1903)
New engines for the North Staffordshire Railway. 279-80.
Adams 0-6-2T supplied by Vulcan Foundry
Two-cylinder compound goods locomotive, Saxon State Rys. 280.
Running heavy goods trains. 281. illustration
Photograph of Jones 4-6-0 No. 114 passing Luncarty station with freight
Old tank locomotive, Caledonian Railway. 282.
Built by Neilson & Co. in 1873-4: Conner outside cylinder 0-4-4T: No. 1167 illustrated
Number 131 (21 November 1903)
Llanelly Railway goods locomotive. 293. illustration
Number 132 (28 November 1903)
New compound locomotive, Great Western Railway. 307. diagram (side elevation)
Number 133 (5 December 1903)
The Egyptian Government Railways and locomotives. 322-4
Railway notes. 326.
North Eastern Ry. 326.
No. 532, the new Atlantic, had finished its preliminary trials - and has been painted lead color with black bands, panels, etc., and white lining. The other engines of this class will have the middle of the cab roof raised 6 inches and the whistles placed in front; the windows will be lengthened, to give a wider range of view ahead. No. 1218 is the latest 8-coupled mineral engine running. Nos. 715 and 785 were stationed at Carlisle, No. 792 at Shildon, and No. 1126 at Newport. Ten new engines of this class were on order.
Nos. 958 and 1935, which were respectively a Neilson's and a Hawthorn's (Fletcher) bogie tank, had been rebuilt as 6-wheeled shunters at York Works, with cylinders 17-in. by 24-in. and 4-coupled wheels.
The work on the new high level bridge over the Tyne at Newcastle was being pushed rapidly forward, and a rope-way had been erected for carrying material from one side of the river to the other.
No. 1137, class FI, was having new cylinders 18½-in. by 26-in, fitted with piston valves. This class, along with classes F and I, were having Laycock's system of steam heating gear, with a Mason reducing valve and a Laycock governor fitted to them; also steam sanding apparatus as they come in for repairs. Nos. 1995 and 1996, class PI mineral engines, are being fitted up with indicator gear. There are in hand at Darlington some of this class supplied with boilers 4-ft. 9-in. in diameter.
London, Brighton & South Coast Ry. 326.
Two 5-ft. 6-in. six-wheels coupled radial side tank locomotives of the Freshwater class [0-6-2T] were out, numbered and named respectively 583 Handcornbe and 584 Lordington.
Great Central Ry.326.
Kitson & Co., Ltd., had delivered another of the eight-wheels coupled mineral engines ot the 1052 class, bearing No. 85 (Maker's No. 4212).
Motor coach No. 1, L. & S. W. RY. 326.
On page 345 of our last volume we gave an illustration of the motor coach No. 1 of the London & South Western Ry., [Steam railcar] built to the designs of Dugald Drummond at Nine Elms for passenger service between Fratton and Southsea. It was originally provided with a vertical boiler as then shown, but this apparently failed to give the requisite power of raising steam, and accordingly a new boiler of the locomotive type, but of somewhat unusual proportions: the total heating surface was 289 ft2. The illustration shows the new boiler in position over the leading or driving wheels of the front bogie, where its weight is of greatest advantage for producing adhesive power.
London & North Western Ry. 326-7
Ten, to complete a total of twenty, new eight-coupled four-cylinder goods engines now on order will shortly be running. The first four were numbered 134, 500, 916 and 1547 (Crewe Nos. 4366-4369), dated October 1903. The earlier ten of the series then under construction were Nos. 2118, 1284, 1289. 1308, 1310 and 1318 (Crewe Nos. 4355-4364), the dates of the first eight being September 1903, and of Nos. 1310 and 1318 October 1903. It was.stated that a further order for twenty more of the same class had been cancelled.
A third engine of the 1400 type was out of the shops, and seven more were to follow, making a total of 10 of the class altogether. The seven under construction had Crewe Nos. 4378-4384. It is a curious coincidence with regard to the three already completed that each ran off the road when about to start on the trial trip. No. 1958 Royal Oak was being experimented with at Crewe and would shortly be running fitted with the new arrangement of valve motion previously supplied to No. 1952 Benbow, as mentioned in our issue of August 2 last. .It was intended that eight other engines of the Alfred the Great class would be so fitted. It is now stated more or less officially that the rumours respecting the building of a three-cylinder compound on the Smith system were without foundation. On the other hand it is likely that ten more four-cylinder compounds of the Alfred the Great class will shortly be put on order, some of which will be supplied with Belpaire fireboxes.
The following engines had recently been withdrawn trom service: Nos. 916, 500, 2272, 1299, 2208 and 170 (Webb's coal engines) and Nos. 1547,3495. 3433, 1448, 2038, 1401,3394, and 3415 (special rebuilt Dx goods engines). In connection with our notice and illustration on page ,360 ante, of the memorial brass executed in memory of Sir Allen Lanyon Sarle, late secretary of the L.B. & S.C.R., a correspondent reminds us that some time ago a stained glass window was put in the new chancel of Christ Church, Crewe, to the memory of the late Mr. John Ramsbottom, of Alderley Edge, who was formerly locomotive superintendent and manager of Crewe Works.
Great Western Ry. 327
Two new engines of the Camel class, with taper boiler barrels, were running, numbered and named 3449 Reading and 3450 Swansea, the works' numbers being 2009 and 2010 respectively. The first of an order for new tank engines of the No. 11 class has left the shops numbered 3621. With the exception of having a taper boiler barrel, it is similar to the pioneer of the class.
The six-coupled double framed goods locomotives Nos. 603, 793 and 1112 had been re-built with new boilers and Belpaire fireboxes. We find that in our issue of November 14th (page 285) the name of No. 3423 Sir Massey Lopes was mis-spelt Lopez by a printer's error. Sir Massey is one of the directors of the G.W.R.
No. 3299 Hubbard one of the Badminton class re-named Alexander Hubbard.
Great Northern Ry. 327
There were now in hand at Doncaster 19 eight-wheels coupled tender engines of the 401 class, 10 eight-wheels coupled tank engines with trailing pony truck (116 class), and 10 Atlantic express engines of the 251 class. Ten four-coupled ten-wheeled tank engines of the 1501 class had just been completed.
Nos. 59, 508, 552, 583 and 590, Stirling's four-coupled (leading and driving) mixed traffic engines, had been broken up, in addition to which eight bogie well tank engines of the 506 and 62 I types, and two four-coupled passenger engines of the 280 class have also been scrapped.
No. 251 had been supplied with a wind deflector on the chimney cap.
Increased speeds in Switzerland. 327
The Chemins de fer Federaux were engaged in making speed trials on the future route to Italy via the Simplon. On the 18 October a train composed of fifteen cars for first, second and third class, and a saloon carriage, drawn by one of the most recently built engines, two of which, Nos. 701 and 702, had been designed specially to combine power and speed, made a run between Pontarlier and Brigue. Leaving Lausanne at 8.20, the train reached Montreux at 8.49, after stopping at Vevey for four minutes. Starting again from Montreux at 8.53, Brigue was reached at 10.38.10, the distance of 146 kilometers (901 miles) having been covered in 2 hours 18 minutes 10 seconds, representing a mean speed of from 75 to 80 kilometers (45.6 to 49.7 miles) per hour. After leaving Villeneuve a maximum speed of 90 kilometers (55.9 miles; per hour was registered.
Rhodesian Rys. 327
Two double bogie six-wheels coupled tank locomotives were under construction by Kitson & Co., Ltd., of Airedale Foundry, Leeds, for this railway. They had four cylinders, 15½-in. in diameter, with a stroke of 23-in., two at each end, placed outside the frames and with the slide valves on top, actuated by Walschaert (Heusinger) gear. The slide valves were balanced, having cast-iron rings at the back. The exhaust from the rear pair of cylinders vented up a chimney similar to that shown on the Chilian engine on p. 231. Each locomotive had only one boiler, with a modified Ramsbottorn safety valve of the same pattern as fitted on the C.G. Rys. locomotives, and a pop safety valve in addition. The whistles were of the organ pipe type. Cow-catchers were fitted at each end, and the sand-boxes were on either side of the extended smokebox. The cab was roomy and contained two tool boxes. The engines were fitted with Gresham & Craven injectors and steam sanding appliances.
The "18-inch" goods locomotives, Caledonian Ry. 328-9. 2 illustrations
Six-coupled locomotive for Spain. 329.
0-6-0 with outside cylinders supplied by Kruass of Munich for Southern Raliway of Spain with tight radius curves
Number 134 (12 December 1903)
New "Atlantic" locomotive, Great Central Ry. 335-6. illustration, diagram (side elevation)
Railway notes. 338
North Eastern Ry. 338.
Old No. 295, a double framed long boiler goods engine, built in 1866 at Gateshead works, had been sold to Mr. H.M. Nowell, the contractor for the Blyth and Tyne extensions, where there were three Manning, Wardle & Co's special 12-in. saddle tanks at work, Dunston No. 1446 (1899), Redheugh No. 1455 (1899), and Tanfield No. 1470 (1900), also Benton, a Black, Hawthorn & Co.10-in. four-coupled outside cylinder saddle tank, No. 1099 (1896). The Ponteland Light Railway was now laid right through into the village of Ponteland. The old locomotive that used to run the Merrybent Railway was engaged in working construction trains on this branch; also the 12-in. six-coupled inside cylinder saddle tank Easingwold, built by Hudswell Clarke & Co. in 1891 for the Easingwold Railway; this had been replaced on the latter line by a new 13-in. cylinder engine of the same type by the same makers. Easingwold had a new firebox put in at the York works in February 1903.
London & South Western Ry. 338.
The following numbers of new mixed traffic bogie locomotives with 5-ft. 7-in. coupled wheels which had been built at Nine Elms, viz: Nos. 159, 161, 163, 164 and 165. They were fitted with the express type boiler with water tubes in the firebox, and were similar to No, 343, illustrated in our issue of January, 1902. A new locomotive of the four-coupled express type as illustrated in our issue for July 5th last, with 18-in. by 26-in. cylinders and 6-ft. driving wheels, was out and bore No. 400. The bogie express passenger engines Nos. 280, 283,704 and 716 had been supplied with new tenders of the eight-wheeled bogie type, their old six-wheeled tenders being transferred to some of the mixed traffic engines referred to above. An old tender, No. 53, had recently been handed over to the engineers' department for use as a gas tar tank.
No. 541, one of the 6-ft. front-coupled mixed traffic locomotives and No, 268, a six-wheels coupled tank engine, have been fitted with the standard pattern cast-iron chimney. A road motor-car for the conveyance of passengers and parcels is to be constructed at Nine Elms with a view to seeing how far such a vehicle would be suitable tor establishing services between places not now provided with railway facilities and the nearest main line stations.
The Simplon Route to Italy. 338. illustration
Referring to our note in last week's issue, page 327, on this subject. a correspondent has kindly furnished us with the snap-shot here reproduced of engine No. 701, which is similar to the other mentioned, No. 702, which made fast experimental runs between Lausanne and Pontarlier, and Lausanne and Brigue. No. 702 has, since the trials, been disabled in an accident at Palézieux, between Lausanne and Berne. Based on the results of the trial runs it is possible to reckon on covering the distance of 308 k.m. (19 I miles) between Lausanne and Milan via the Simplon route in about 6 hours, the timing being: Lausanne-Brigue, 2 hours 45 minutes; Brigue-Domo, 57 minutes ; Domo-Milan, 2 hours; delay at frontier, 20 minutes; total 6 hours 2 minutes. It is calculated that allowing the journey from Paris to Lausanne to occupy only 8 hours when the Mont d'Or has been tunnelled and the Lajoux-Vallorbe connection established, passengers leaving Paris one evening will reach Milan on the following day in time to catch the express for Rome on the same evening, always supposing that the train runs on time, with stops and delays reduced to the minimum.
Midland Ry. 338-9
We have never given full dimensions of the three-cylinder compounds on this railway, which were illustrated in February, 1902, and in last week's issue. The following are the particulars relating to Nos. 2631, 2633 and 2634: diameter of the high pressure cylinder 19-in., and of the two low pressure cylinders 21-in., with a stroke of 26-in. ; diameter of coupled drivers 7-ft., total heating surface 1598 ft2; grate area 26 ft2. Nos. 2632 and 2635 had Serve tubes. Bogie tenders were fitted..
Great Western Ry. 339.
Nos. 3451 Taunton and 3452 Wolverhampton, works numbers 2011 and 2012 respectively, completed the order for new engines of the improved Camel class. No. 3310 Waterford was out of the shops fitted with a taper boiler, similar to that supplied to the City class and had consequently somewhat modified details. The combined name and number plate has been removed and the latest standard plates fitted . Two new engines of the same class as Nos. 11 and 3601, except that they had slide valves, were out, Nos. 3621-3622 (works Nos. 2013 and 2014) . The following goods engines had been turned out with large boilers and Belpaire fireboxes: Nos. 389, 435, 599, 716, 1112, 1203, 1205, 2384, 2454 and 2543; also the coupled engines Nos. 3543, 3549, 3554 and 3209. No. 3405 Mauritius," of the Atbara class, was now fitted with slide instead of piston valves .
Great Central Ry. 339.
No. 177, the first ot the 9J class (six-coupled goods) built at Gorton, had been on trial fitted with water pick-up tender. No. 1031, 4-coupled bogie passenger, was also being fitted with water pick up apparatus in Gorton works. No. 280, 6-coupled saddle tank shunting engine, had been rebuilt with the new pattern ot tank and cab. No. 356. 4-coupled passenger engine, with leading wheels and outside bearings, had been supplied with a flush topped boiler.
Bentheim, on the Holland Rys. 339, ilustration
One of the frontier stations on the main line from Amsterdam to Hanover and Berlin. The German Customs examination takes place here, and time also changes from Greenwich to Mid-European.
Number 135 (19 December 1903)
New "Atlantic" locomotive, N.E.R. 349-50. illustration
Combined brake and coupling gear. 350.
Webb modified Ramsbottom 2-4-0 No. 757 Banshee with an intermediate wheel between the driving wheels to assist adhesion and braking by forcing the wheel down onto the coupled wheels,
Letterkenny & Burtonport Ry. 350
Board of Works in Dublin prepared a timetable which would have involved two trains in the single line section between Gweedore and Falcarragh.
Retirement of Mr. C.N. Wilkinson. 350
Due to ill-health: Secretary of North Eastern Railway for 32 years.
Great Northern Ry. 350.
No. 987 fitted with bogie having outside frames. 0-6-0 No. 384 was working ballast trains in London Area with bright brass dome cover.
Railway notes. 351
Locomotives for Portugal. 351.
Seven four-cylinder compound six-coupled bogie locomotives were under construction for the Minho & Douro Ry., at Borsig's locomotive works, Berlin, which were designed to take the place of the eight-wheeled locomotives illustrated on page 14 of our issue of January 3rd last. The latter engines had no leading bogie or truck and were found to be rather unsuitable for sharp curves, and would accordingly be transferred from the Douro to the Minho section of this line. It is expected that all the locomotives built by A. Borsig, for the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portuguezes would be at work at the beginning of the new Year. Some new four-cylinder compound six-coupled locomotives for the same railway are now on order at Fives-Lille, of the same type as those delivered in 1898 and 1901.
Great Western Ry. 351
A new engine of the No. 11 class, four-wheels coupled double-ender tank, is now out, bearing the running No. 3623 (works No. 2015).
No. 3357 Exeter, one of the Avalon class, has had its name changed to Smeaton.
The large six-wheels coupled mineral engine No. 2601 has been provided with a new boiler, and the sandbox is now removed from the boiler barrel, ordinary boxes being put on the frames.
No. 3324 Quantock of the Cotswold class, has been provided with anew name plate, placed over the driving splashers, after the style of the City class. .
Electrification of the "Uunderground" Ry. 351
Laying of the conductor rails necessary for the electrification of the Metropolitan District system was now almost complete as far east as the Mansion House station.
Midland Ry. 351.
We understand that all the girder bridges on this railway between Settle and Carlisle are about to be replaced by stronger ones, to permit the running of heavier engines than those the present bridges were originally built to carry.
Canadian Pacific Ry. 351
Eight of the German built locomotives for this railway had arrived. They were shipped to Boston, Mass., from whence they were to be sent on by rail to Montreal. These engines were fully described and illustrated in our issue of September 26th last, and are noteworthy as being the first German locomotives sent to North America.
Great Central Ry. 351. illustration
We are indebted to Mr. A. L. Pfungst for the excellent snap-shot photograph here reproduced, which was taken near Harrow. The engine is No. 1040, which on Friday, the 4th inst., made a splendid run from Marylebone to Nottingham with the 10.00 a.m. Manchester express. The distance to Nottingham, 126½ miles, was covered in 123 minutes, and the whole run of 206 miles only occupied 219 minutes. A party of Canadians were on board. We were also indebted to Mr. Pfungst for the very interesting photographs used to illustrate our brief notes on the Rhiitische Bahn, on page 316
In the Notes on page 312 two printers' errors occurred. The N.E.R. goods engines that have received new cylinders are Nos. 31, 101 and 1560, and in the Midland Ry. note, the last-mentioned of the Kirtley goods engines has been renumbered No. 1031, not 103 as printed.
History of the London & South Western Railway locomotives. 352-3
Number 136 (26 December 1903)
Standard train, North London Railway. 363. illustration
Six-coupled tram locomotive. 364. illustration,
diagram (side elevation)
Great Eastern Railway No. 136 for work at Ipswich Docks.
The locomotives of the Great Eastern Railway. 368-9.
Golsdorf "Atlantics" in Austria. 370. illustration
Our good friend, Herr Golsdorf, has kindly forarded the photographs here reproduced, showing one of a series of Atlantic locomotives compounded on his well-known system which have recently been built for the Austrian Southern Railway. Seven of these engines had already been built, Nos. 211 to 213, by the Wiener-Neustadt locomotive works, and Nos. 214 to 217 by the State Railway Association (late Haswell). These locomotives differed from the 17 at work on the F. R. Austrian State Ry., which were illustrated in a special supplement to our issue of December, 1902, only by having non-lifting injectors on the footstep plate, instead of lifting injectors on the back sheet of the firebox. They had, however, a novel appliance designed by Herr Golsdorf for the purpose of intensifying the sound of the whistle, in the shape of a conical deflector placed immediately above the whistle which has the effect of spreading the sound in a horizontal direction. This device has, we understand, been adopted for all engines on the Southern Ry., and is shown in the above illustration.
Great Western Ry. 370. illustration
A correspondent has kindly forwarded the photograph here reproduced of the new ten-wheeled "double-ender" tank locomotive No. 99 (Swindon works No, 1992), which has been designed for heavy suburban traffic. It is in reality an enlarged edition of the eight-wheelers of the No. I I type, with outside cylinders instead of the usual inside arrangement, and six wheels coupled instead of only four. The cylinders are 18-in. by 30-in., and are provided with piston valves; the boiler, which carries a pressure of 195 lbs. per sq. in. and has its centre 7-ft. 11¾-in. above the rails, is of the taper pattern with Belpaire firebox, similar to those of the "City" class; and the six-coupled wheels are 5-ft. 8-in. in diameter; there is a pony-truck at the leading end, and the trailing wheels are provided with radial axleboxes.
No. 3050 "Royal Sovereign" is now running supplied with spiral bearing springs to the bogie wheels, arranged in pairs similar to those on the tank engines.
S.E.& C. RY. 370.
No. 148, one of J. Stirling's coupled bogie locomotives of the 240 class, was running with a new boiler, dome and cab.
A further section of the London widenings between Southwark Park and New Cross stations was brought into use on Sunday, 13 December 1903. This section is quite distinct from the old main line between these two points.
Old mineral locomotive, Taff Vale Railway. 373. illustration
0-6-0 No. 75 constructed at Cardiff in 1860
Carriage and Wagon Department. 375
A 40-ton oil tank wagon. 375
Bogie wagon built R.Y. Pickering for Oaklands Oil Co., Glasgow
New material for centres of railway carriage wheels. 376
Steel passenger cars in the U.S.A. 376