North British Railway Study
Group Journal Number 100-119
Key tp all Issue Numbers
Issue No. 100 (2007)
The 100th Journal: a celebratory Editorial. 3-6.
History of the Journal
Ed McKenna. Big day at Junction Road. 6-13.
Czar Nicholas II was eager to visit the United Kingdom in his new yacht the Standart, but the ship was too large to enter Aberdeen - the Queen was in residence in Balmoral. Furthermore, planning was complicated by the newness of the ship, but the port of Leith was selected and the date was fixes for 22 September 1896. It was considered that North Leith terminus was unsuitable for the Czar to entrain and Junction Road on the North Leith branch was selected. Much of the article is concerned with the reactions of the local politicians in Leith an Edinburgh. The train stopped at Dundee, and time lost thereat was regained. The timetable from Junction Road to Ballater is reproduced. The motive power is postulated as Nos. The return journey by the Czar was from Ballater to Portsmouth and did not concern the NBR.
Jim Summers. A model locomotive, the real No. 38. 14-15.
Andrew Hajducki. Elliot Junction - a centenary compilation. 16-20.
Accident on 28 December 1906
Peter Marshall. The North British Railway in 1907 from "The Railway Year Book 1908". 20-3.
Jeff Hurst. The restoration of Bilston Glen Viaduct. 23-5.
Last train ran over it in 1972. Became an unofficial footpath, but eventually sealed off, but in 1998 it was agreed to restore it as an official footpath and cycleway, which was completed in early 2004.
Allan Rodgers. NBR locomotive liveries 1846-1922: follow-up and amendments to original article published in Journal number 96. 26-47
Alistair Nisbet. The milk thief. 47.
Report in Dundee Courier of 28 December 1906 of trial of NBR driver John Hutchinson and fireman John Davidson of theft of milk from guard's van who were apprehended by PC Drysdale of Thornton. They were found guilty and sentenced to be fined or imprisoned for 21 days.
Issue No. 101 (2008)
G.W.M. Sewell. The Tay Bridge Disaster: a new look at an old engma. 3-8.
Alan Simpson. The Kinnedar Branch. 31
Was in West Fife and to the north of the town of Oakley. It connected with the Stirling and Dunfermline section of the North British Railway and it served the Kinnedar valley collieries of the Oakley Coal Co. Ltd.
Issue No. 102 (2008)
Douglas Yuill. The North British Railway and the coal industry in East and Midlothian - A retrospective view. Part Two. 3-10
Ed. McKenna. Thirled wagons on the North British Railway. 11-20.
In railway terms Lord MacKenzie, in his judgement on the Railway and Canal Commission Wagon Cases hearing in 1910, defined thirled wagons as waggons owned by the railway company but dedicated wholly to the traffic of a particular trader.
John McGregor. Explosives, various. 20-2.
Donald Cattanach. The Queen's Station and Queen Victoria's Journeys
on the North British Railway. Part 1: 1842 to 1861. 23-31.
Queen's Station never appeared in public timetables, yet its existence was well known, and it played a prominent role in Royal and State occasions in Edinburgh and in Scotland for over thirty years. Its beginnings, the period of its existence, and its name, have all been the subject of contradictory accounts. Using contemporary newspaper reports, principally from the Scotsman, to supplement other sources, it is hoped that this may clarify matters. In The First Railway Across the Border, George Dow wrote: Soon after the line was opened a station was brought into use at Meadowbank, subsequently known variously as St. Margarets and Queen's. It was located about 100 yards west of the place where the railway passed under the Portobello Road. On the occasion of Queen Victoria's Scottish visit in 1850, when she pened the Royal Border Bridge at Berwick en route, Meadowbank station was specially refurbished, for, being only about a quarter of a mile from Holyrood Palace, the Queen detrained there on arrival from the south. Henceforward usually referred to as Queen's station, it is not known when it was closed, but it had certainly ceased to exist soon after the opening of the present [twentieth] century. Another very early station was Jock's Lodge, situated about a quarter of a mile east of Queen's station. The precise date it was opened is unknown but, on the instructions of the North British Board, it ceased to function as from 1 July 1848. This is not entirely correct. In fact, the station had been specially constructed for the Queen's visit of 1850 and her firstever stay at Holyrood.
Issue No. 103 (December 2008)
Glen Douglas, NBR engine number 256, and its pilot engine, LNER class
J37 (BR number 64632) climb out of Garelochhead. on 1 June 1963. front
The occasion was the Jacobite Rail Tour, operated by the the Scottish Locomotive Preservation Fund and planned as the last steam run over the West Highland line. It was intended that both engines would make the run from Glasgow Queen Street to Fort William, but, sadly, number 64632 failed at Gortan - see page 26. (Colour Photo: K.M. Falconer) .
Jeff Hurst. Strathmiglo derailment 1949. 3-5
Accident report: by Colonel R.J. Walker on behalf of the Ministry of Transport on fatal accident on 27 November 1949 in which Driver Robertson was killed when the ballast train he was driving was derailed: Report was published on the 3rd May 1950.
Allan Rodgers. Classification a new approach (part 1). 6-9.
Contends that copyright might be a problem with adapting an existing system. System proposed is an extension of the well-known one adopted by the LNER (and the only thorough system used by any of the "big four" (or by British Railways).
Grahame Hood. Journey to Bathgate. 10
Twixt Forth & Clyde by A.G. Williamson was first published in 1942: essays telling of his visits to sites of historical interest in Central Scotland in the 1930s. He usually travelled by car on his trips, but on at least one occasion, he went by train as when visiting Bathgate to see the Torphichen Receptory, and to try to find the site of the castle of Walter Stewart. He described the journey from Airdrie to Bathgate noting the scenery and the effects of industry.
Euan Cameron. Drummond 18 inch goods engines. 11-15
These engines were popularly known as the 100 class, later allocated to class J32 by the L.N.E.R., and now designated class no. J032 under the new classification system described above. No. 153 of the Cowlairs batch was reconstructed with Morton's radial valve gear in 1890 and carried this apparatus until rebuilt entirely in 1901. The valve gear was quite complex, but the main visible effect was that the weighshaft bearing and the reversing lever were moved owards the rear where the front of the driving splasher partly concealed the bearing.
Allan Rodgers. Ashbury five compartment thirds. 16
Ashbury Railway Carriage and Iron Company of Openshaw, near Manchester, were suppliers of passenger vehicles to the North British Railway during the early part of the 1870s The arc-roofed thirds had five compartments, with the compartment divider only extending to the top of the seat backs, making it, in effect, an open carriage. It is not known whether these carriages were to the manufacturer or NBR design. However, this author believes the basic design concept of a five compartment open third, carrying 50 passengers, was first introduced by Hurst.
Donald Cattanach. The Queens station part 2. 17-24
David Stirling. The railways of Thomas Bouch.
Bouch engineered several lines in the North British sphere of influence: the Edinburgh & Northern, Peebles, Leven, St Andrews, Leadburn, Linton & Dolphinton, Edinburgh Loanhead & Roslin and North British Arbroath & Montrose Railways were all his work. He had a successful career with the Edinburgh, Perth & Dundee, most notably inventing the train ferries across the firths which made the line viable as a through route. After this he became a consulting engineer, specialising in economical railways. John Thomas, never one to overlook a good story, relates the difficulties the Leven Railway and the St Andrews Railway had with Bouch in Forgotten Railways: Scotland. We get the impression of a bungling incompetent, or at least someone who could not deliver on time. These two were railways built down to a price, for their owners had problems raising capital, and the railways certainly had to spend money later to make up for the cheap construction in the first place. The tale ends with the fairy godmother, the North British, playing an unaccustomed role, stepping in to save the poor little railways and sort out their inadequacies. Well, things were not quite like that. The NB did take over the Leven & East of Fife, as it had then become, and the St Andrews Railway in 1877, but it had to exchange their owners' ordinary shares for special lien stock, ranking ahead of North British stocks and paying a fixed dividend of 10½%. That was more than three times the dividend the NB ordinary shareholders were getting in 1877, and NBR dividends had been zero a few years earlier. These railways may have been economically built, but they were evidently desirable property. Includes a portrait.
Reid 14 ton goods brake van Journal team 25
other: . Album page Journal team 26
Innerwick Andrew Hajducki 27
Interesting lamps Journal team 28
Coal industry in East/Midlothian Douglas Yuill 29
. Book review Mike Smith 38
. Letters page Editor 39
. Then & now: Longniddry Journal team
Issue No. 104 (March 2009)
Ed McKenna. Small bogie wagons. 3-6.
Attempt to sell off old wagons from Monkland Railway system. Advertisement in The Scotsman on 23 March 1893: notice dated previous day.
Mike Esbester. The safety movement. 7-8.
1913 campaign to reduce accidents at work: illustrations from booklet issued to staff in about 1920.
Mike Jodeluk. Female railway clerks. 8.
From East Fife Record of 11 Decenber 1858
Euan Cameron. Holmes " 574" class express engines. 9-13
Includes coloured elevations
Allan Rodgers. Ashbury 3rds a follow up. 1415.
Includes coloured elevations
Jeff Hurst. Loanhead. 16-20
Glencorse branch: detailed diagrams of station and signal box structures
Allan Rodgers. Classification a new approach (part 2). 21-5
Alan Brotchie. Fireman John Allan. 26
8 ton open goods wagon. 27
Allan Rodgers. A livery mystery 27
lain Chalmers. A tender story. 28
Douglas Yuill, Coal industry in East/Midlothian - Part 4. Line No. 6. Prestonpans
to Tranent. 29-34.
Meadowmill Washery and Mine.
Kenneth G. WiIliamson. Fatality at Steele Road. 34
Jeff Hurst.. Longniddry 1953. 35
Letters page. 38
Biii Lynn. Driving on the NBR. 39
Then & now: Cupar. 40
Issue No. 105 (July 2009)
Euan Cameron Hurst: 90/341/382 class express engines.
3-10. 5 col. drawings
2-4-0 Study Group classification E115. Followed Jenny Lind pattern, but fitted with progressively larger boilers:
Nos. 90-5 supplied by Neilson in 1861: WN 677-82 (tenders had separate Works numbers)
Nos. 341-6 supplied by Dubs: WN 32-7 in 1865
Nos. 382-93: Neilson WN 1290-3/1866; 1297-9/1867 and 1350-4/1867.
They wer rebuilt by Wheatley and by Holmes.
When S.W. Johnson was demoted following the takeover of the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway by the NBR Neilson WN 1294-6 and 1300-1 were diverted to the GER where they became Nos. 125-9.
Donald Cattanach. The chief officers of the N.B.R. 11-13. table.
John Learmouth 1842-52
James M. Balfour of Whittingham 1852-5
Richard Hodgson (later Hodgson-Huntley) 1855-66
John Beaumont 1866
John Stirling of Kippenross & Kippendavie 1866-82
Sir James Falshaw 1882-7
Marquis of Tweeddale 1887-99
Sir William Laird 1899-1901
G.B. Wieland 1901-05
Earl of Dalkeith 1905-12
William Whitelaw 1912-22
Hodgson resigned due to financial scandal. Tweeddale overthrown by Wieland cabal
Donald Cattanach. William Paton prince of station masters.
Stationmaster at Waverley. Retirement prtesentation took place in Freemason's Hall on 20 June 1905 in the presence of the Marquis of Linlithgow, Duke of Abercorn, Marquis of Tweeddale, Earl of Aberdeen and Lord Elibank. Paton was born in Dunfermiline in about 1837. He joined the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway as a clerk in the Secretary's Office in about 1857. He then went to sea and was purser on the Australasia voyage. On return he became station master at Ratho, then at Portobello, before becoming station master at Edinbyrgh Wsaverley in 1874.
8 ton medium cattle wagon. 15.
Introduced by Reid in 1914: drawing (s. & end elevations) and photographs.
Harry Knox. The Castlecary disaster 1937. 17-21.
The very full accident report is availabe on the Railway Archive website: the accident took place on 10 December 1937 and the report by A.H.L. Mount was published on 24th April 1938 before which the unfortunate Driver D. Anderson was charged with culpable homicide (Anderson was driver of the Pacific No. 2744 Grand Parade which ran into the rear of a stationary Dundee to Glasgow train causing considerbale loss of life). The fireman on the Pacific was W. Kinnear. Knox challenges C. Meacher's statement in LNER footplate memories that Anderson never again undertook main line duties. Knox fired to Anderson and told him that he worked the non-stop. The LNER did not intervene when Anderson was charged and it was the Mount report which led to the case being dismissed. [KPJ: Norman McKillop had decided views on Castlecary, but possibly did not publish them]
Allan Rodgers. Metropolitan firsts of 1864. 22. illus., diagr. (colour
side & front elevations)
Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon Co. vehicles bought under W. Hurst
Douglas Yuill. Coal in East/Midlothian Part 5. 23-7.
Monktonhall Junction to Macmerry and Gifford including Smeaton Junction to Hardengreen.
Mike Smith. . Kirkbank station. 28-31.
Allan Rodgers.. Locomotive classification Part 3. 32-5.
The Society's own
Early railways of West Fife: an industrial and social commentary
Then and now. Markinch station. rear cover
Issue No. 106 (September 2009)
Brian Farish. The LNER goes to War. 3-7.
On 16 October 1939 the 14.30 Edinburgh to Stirling was allowed to cross the Forth Bridge whilst a German attack was taking place on Royal Navy ships.
David Lindsay. Derailment at Gateside. 7.
From the Newcastle Advertiser of 7 July 1846. NBR train. General Paisley's comments on accident at end of June.
Ed McKenna. More on the Kinneddar branch. 8-11.
See No. 101 for item by Alan Simpson. Fifeshire Main Collieries Ltd., Fife Coal Co. Ltd and its locomotives.
Jules Verne's journey from Edinbugh to Glasgow. 11.
Took steamer Prince of Wales from Granton to Crombie Pier; stayed night at Oakley; took train from Dunfermline to Stirling and thence to Glasgow where he saw aurora borealis in George Square on 30 August 1859.
Euan Cameron. Drummond's "Abbotsford" class.
12-20. 3 diagrs. (s. els.), 4 col. illus.
First manifestation of a style which remained unique on the NBR but developed elsewhere culminating in the T9 class on the LSWR. Sloping grate and Drummond cab.
Donald Cattanach. Sir James
Falshaw. 21. illus. (portrait)
Born in Leeds on 21 March 1810. At age 14 articled to Joseph Cusworth, architect and surveyor. Died 14 June. 1889, Cites John Marshall.
David Lindsay. LNER sleeping vans. 22-3. illus.
Reproduced from Model Rly News, 1943 (February): includes communications from Ian R. Smith, J.N. Maskelyne and George Dow (official photographs).
Douglas Yuill. Coal in East/Midlothian – Part 6. 24-8.
Duke of Buccleuch's railways at Dalkeith
John McGregor. Invergarry & Fort Augustus interlude –
an Inspector calls. 29-31.
David Reid, Secretary of the line interaction with John Wallace Pringle of the Board of Trade.
Bill Lyn. Sightings at Scotsgap. 32-3.
Signal box train register book covering period 1934-9.
Allan Rodgers. Three NBR veterans on parade. 34-5. col. illus.
Glen Douglas, 0-6-0 Maude and 0-4-0ST No. 42
Book review. 35.
Back on track. David Blytheway. Reviewed Mike Jodeluk
Describes reopening of Alloa branch: well received.
Then and now. Aberdour station. rear cover
No. 107 (December 2009)
The building of the Tay Bridge. 3-6.
Reproduced from Dundee Advertiser 31 January 1878. Albert Grothe was the contract manager.
The opening of the Tay Bridge. 7-8
Reproduced from Dundee Advertiser 1 June 1878. Colour drawing of Drummond 0-4-2 No. 314 Lochee
Sir Thomas Bouch. 8-9
Portrait from Dundee Courier
Euan Cameron. The Tay Bridge engines. 10-18.
No. 224: 4 colour diagrams and many photographs
The Tay Bridgre train described. 19-23
Centre spread coloured drawing shows position of each vehicle within the girders.
Allan Rodgers. The Tay Bridge train mystery. 24-5.
Position of the first class coach.
Jim Page. A letter's journey. 26
Salvaged mail reached its destinations with remarkable speed: included letter from Banff to Aberdeen which had been sorted in Edinburgh and mail bag pulled from sea at Broughty Ferry.
Allan Rodgers. Tay Bridge Disaster causes. 27-34.
Metal fatigue of lugs and wind pressure.
Mike Smith. Wormit Station a view from the edge. 35-7.
Dundee Tay Bridge. rear cover
Issue No. 108 (March 2010)
Littlejohn, Charles C. The Glasgow City & District Railway. 3-9.
Signal boxes around Cowlairs. 10.
Harry Knox. Cowlairs East Junction Collison 1942. 11-14.
Signalman error coupled with failure to comply with Rule 55: report by Inspecting Officer A.C. Trench on 30 January 1942.
Euan Cameron. Drummond & Holmes 17" goods.
4 colour illustrations.
Mike Smith. Bridgeton Central branch. Part 1: an east end of an (almost) a four minute mile. 24-7.
Douglas Yuill. Coal in East/Midlothian Part 7. 28-32
Brian Farish. The LNER goes to War a follow-up. 33-4.
Mrs Jane Roxburgh was a paasenger on the train as a child.
John McGregor. The Cowlairs brake experiment. 34.
Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway Minute Book entry of 15 March 1842: Miller and Paton exceeded the speed limit on decent
Lindsay, David. Saved from oblivion. 35.
Photographs of D11 No. 6381 Flora MacIvor at Craigentinny; V1 No. 2908 at Haymarket and D11 No. 62684 at Haymarket.
John Burnie, born Glasgow 1946: Scottish Railway Preservation Society; died 20 November 2009. W.C.C. [Bill] Smith. Born 1926 died 22 August 1909. Involved with James Ness in locomotive preservation.
Then and now. Shettleston station. rear cover
Issue No. 109 (June 2010).
Drummond 0-4-4T No. 167 at Broughty Ferry station within
period 1894 to 1900. front cover
See letters from Mike Smith and Ian Terrell in Journal 121 p. 51
Harry Knox. Broughty Ferry level crossing. 3-6.
Brian Farish. Gorgie tales:. 7-9.
Began work as a booking clerk at Gorgie in 1950
Euan Cameron. Drummond tanks Part 1: 0-6-0s. 10-15,
Includes 4 colour illustrations. Design showed similarity to Stroudley Terriers and was construced between 1875 and 1878; and shared many features in common with the 4-4-0Ts of 1880-1884..
Douglas Yuill. Coal in East/Midlothian Part 8. Line No. 5
Monktonhall Junction to Macmerry and Gifford: Smeaton Junction to Bog Siding
(continued). Bellyford Colliery. 16-21.
Illustrations: Edinburgh Collieries Company locomotive No. 8 at Fleets Pit branch (outside-cylinder 4-4-0T built by Hudswell Clarke in 1878 for Lynn & Fakenham Railway: sold by the Midland & Great Northern Railway to War Department which sold it to ECC in 1925. Elphinstone Colliery. Illustration of R. & J. Durie end-door wagon with Elphinstone Colliery and illustration of NCB No. 9 at Fleets.
Carriage livery puzzle. 22-3.
A two tone livery appears to be visible in ssome photographs taken in about 1908 and in a very early photograph taken at the east end of Waverley station
Allan Rodgers. Ashbury pasenger brake vans. 24-7.
Of the 1860s and 1870s: includes coloured elevations
Alan Simpson. A visit to the Auchmuty Mills branch. 28.
On 2 June 1992
Jim Armstrong. "Abbotsford" goes to Newcastle. 29-31..
Use of the North Eastern Railway dynamometer car for trials of Atlatic No. 879 Abbotsford between Edinburgh and Newcastle in June 1907.
Willie Hennigan. Relieving the non-stop. 32-3.
The South Leith goods shunter where crew signed on at Portobello: normally worked by Class A 0-6-2T (N15) No. 9020 later No. 9186.
Bill Lynn. Wartime diverted goods trains. 34
Because of congestion on the esat coast main line freight traffic was diverted over the Wverley Route and Border Counties line between Edinburgh, Riccarton Junction and Hexham to Low Fell: locomotives noted on these services which ran in 1941 and 1942 included J37, J39, D29, D32 and K2.
Donald Cattenach. William Fulton Jackson. 35-6.
Very full biography which relates both his working life, the longest serving General Manager, some of the devious manoeuvres involving Wieland and his considerable ability as a photographer.
Bill Lynn. Working on the North British.... 37
Letters page. 38-9
Accident at Torryburn. Robert Lockhart. 38
Photograph captioned Torrie, NBR 1907: signal box controlled access to Valleyfield Colliery on coast line between Dunfermline and Alloa:involved two trains one of which was a coal train
Monkland Railway rolling stock. Ann Glenn.
Her grandfather, born in 1837, may have travelled fourth class on Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway. He remembered seeing work on rock cutting at Croy.
NBR locos at Hawthorn Leslie. Peter Howell.
Following WW1 St. Peter's works overhauled following NBR locomotives:
Order Nos. 5936-7: No. 404 (LNER Class D31)
5938-9: No. 599 (D25)
5940-1: No. 732 (D31)
7533: No. 1134 (J31)
7670: No. 1148 (J31)
7705: No. 531 (J34)
7707: No. 575 (D31)
7709: No. 779 (J36)
Cardrona station. Rae Montgomery. 39
Photograph probably taken during LNER period. In 1960 writer issued Special Stop Order on 18.20 ex-Waverley to detrain a seaman on leave wishing to alight hereat.
Forth Bridge Raid, Kenneth G. Williamson.
Blank ticket inviation to opening of Forth Bridge on 4 March 1890.
Dalmuir station. rear cover
Views taken in Edwardian periiod and (colour) on 9 June 2009 whilst station was being rebuilt
Issue No. 110 (September 2010)
Brian Farish. Gorgie tales: trouble with pigeons... 3-5
Alistair Nisbet. There's no smoke without fire. 5.
Border Advertiser 15 April 1856. Galashiels station
Euan Cameron. Drummond tanks Part 2: 4-4-0s. 6-10 2 colour illustrations, diag. (s. el.)
Harry Knox. Queensferry tunnel derailment. 11-14.
11 March 1954: train slipped backwards due to locomotive slipping: Inspecting Officer C.A, Langley recommended installation of lights in tunnel.
Kippen signal box. 15
Douglas Yuill. Coal in East/Midlothian Part 9. 16-24
Allan Rodgers. Ashbury composite carriages. 25-38. colour illus.
W. Rhind Brown. The magic of a name. 34-5.
Nos. 903 and 2001 shared Cock o' the North. Notes article by J.W. Rattray in Rly Mag for 1935, 76, 37. Name came from Sir Walter Scott. Author also wonders if the name Silver Link (A4 No. 2509) from Scott's Lay of the Last Minstrel was a memorial to his wife.
The guard is last but not least. 36.
Dunfermline Press: goods guard.
Then and now. Ladybank station. rear cover
Issue No. 111 (December 2010)
Harry Knox and Allan Rodgers. Bathgate: the railway story 1849-2010.
For a time the Bathgate area was dominated by the shale oil industry; later British Motor Corporation brought in to relieve unemployment, but now an electrified railway is seeking to increase personal mobility.
Bill Sewell. Tay Bridge disaster: train brakes. 18.
Follow up: train involved was probably only partially fitted with Westinghouse brake.
Euan Cameron. Reid 0-6-2 tank engines. 18-29.
High degree of standardization incorporated. The boiler was employed in 315 locomotives (in addition to 0-6-2Ts employed in 4-4-2T, 0-4-4T and to rebuild J36 type 0-6-0s). The class was employed as bankers on the Cowlairs Incline when rope haulage terminated. The class became LNER N14 and N15. Liveries are considered at length. Includes two colour side elevations: No. 862 as in September 1909 and No. 396 as in August 1910.
Donald Cattanach. George Simpson & John Martin.
Includes portraits of both men. Simpson was born at Heriot (Midlothian) on 26 March 1833 and was the son of the village schoolmaster. He joined the NBR as a clerk in the Cashier's Office in October 1854 under J.P. Lythgoe, the General Accountant. Lythgoe and Thomas K. Rowbotham, the General Manager, were dismissed for financial irregularities performed at the behest of the Chairman, Richard Hodgson. Simpson was promoted to be General Accountant from January 1867 reporting to the Secretary. David Anderson was appointed as Audit Accountant reprting to the General Manager: each received £300 per annum. He retired on 30 September 1905 and died in his holiday residence at Burntisland on 19 May 1910. John Martin who succeeded him was the son of a gamekeeper and was born at East Lodge on the Hopetoun Estate on 1 April 1856. In 1871 he became an apprentice clerk at South Queensferry Station and following service at other stations was moved to the Secrtary's Office in November 1874. Wieland retired in 1892 and joined the Board; John Cathles became Secretary and John Martin Assistant Secretary. In August 1901 Martin became Secretary to the West Highland Railway and became involved in the dispute involving Henry Grierson and the government funds received for the Mallaig extension. Martin replaced Simpson as General Accountant and was involved in the protracted negotiations with the Ministry of Transport for compensation for services provided during WW1. He retired at the last meeting of vthe Board on 2 March 1923. He retired from being Secretary of the Forth Bridge Company in February 1931. He had married Elizabeth Young, daughter of James Young, railway contractorn who had business dealings with Wieland and the NBR. He died in Edinburgh on 8 August 1931.
Douglas Paul. Closure of the Waverley Route and its effect upon railway employees. 33-4.
Two Riccarton poems.... 35.
Andrew Boyd. Pigeon traffric: a follow-up. 36.
LNER bogie brake van No. 70494 (4721) preserved at Bo'ness. Built at York in 1940. Queries when traffic ceased.
Letters page. 38-9.
Banking engines. Harry Knox. 39.
Then and now: Armadale Station. rear cover. 4 illustrtions.
Issue No. 112 (March 2011)
Jim Summers completed 4mm scale model of NBR No. 185, a Hurst 0-6-0 goods engine, as it awaits its next turn of duty on the East of Scotland 4mm Groups Burntisland 1883 layout. (Jim Summers). front cover
Jim Summers. A Hurst 0-6-0 for Burntisland. 3-4.
Euan Cameron. Hursts goods engines. 5-18.
Sixty two goods engines built for the NBR at St Margarets, and by outside contractors, between 1860 and 1867, under the superintendency of William Hurst. Hawthorns of Leith. Robert Stephenson & Co. 1862-4. Dübs & Co. 1865-7
Trevor Jones. NBR lines in retrospect. 19-23
Very much an appreciation of former North British lines as seen in the 1950s, when much of their distinctive character, especially their motive power, still remained. Perceived from a Dunfermline to Dundee axis with Broughty Ferry mentioned, but fortunate in heving seen something of the lines in the Borders and the West Highland. His father was a Scottish Jones.
Douglas Yuill. Coal in East/Midlothian Part 10. Line No 5 Monktonhall Junction to Macmerry and Gifford. Bog Siding to Macmerry Winton Mine. 24-30.
Keith Fenwick. Naval trains of World War 1. 31
Extract from the Railway Magazine of January 1919 highlighting the wartime trains to/from naval bases in Scotland
An accident at Bathgate. 32-3
On 18 January 1866 when Bathgate station was a terminus: Captain Tyler reported on it. The report brings into question when the terminus was replaced by the though station and the nature of the former terminus
Brian Farish. Gorgie tales: carpets & old rugs
Error committed as booking clerk when he rubber-stamped the incorrect number onto a batch of weekly season tickets and the passengers to whom they had been issued had them confiscated; also the removal of rugs from the first class compartrments of visiting sports excursions (mainly rugby) by the station master to furnish his office and his house.
Allan Rodgers. Ashbury composites: follow-up 35.
Issue Number 113 (September 2011)
Euan Cameron. Holmes' seven footers. 3-11.
Twelve 4-4-0 express engines designed by Matthew Holmes with seven foot driving wheels and built at Cowlairs between 1886 and 1888: Holmes first passenger locomotives designed specifically for express service. These remained the premier express engines on the N.B.R. for over a decade. To clear the larger coupled wheels the barrel was narrower than on the 6ft 6in engines. It was the same diameter as on 17in locomotives, with a front ring of 4ft 4in external diameter and the rear ring 4ft 51/8in external diameter (RCTS Locomotives of the LNER volume 4 is untypically mistaken in this respect). The external cleading at 4ft 7¼in diameter was 1in less than was standard for 17in engines. Also to clear the wheels, the boiler was pitched at 7ft 5in from rail level, 2in higher than on the Abbotsfords. Correspondingly the cab roof was set at 7ft 2in from the running plate inside. These engines were known as the 592 class and were classified D25 by the LNER.
Harry Knox. Granton accident 1953. 12-
Brian Farish. Gorgie tales:. 22
Issue Number 114 (December 2011)
Ray Kitching. Holmes period locomotive liveries. 3-13.
Douglas Yuill. Coal in East/Midlothian - Part 11. 14-23
Line No 12: Portobello East Jcn to Carlisle Canal Jcn.
Euan Cameron. Holmes 317 class 4-4-0s. 24-9.
Alistair Nisbet. Whytemire Junction accident 1879. 30
22 May 1879 taken from press reports: colission between an express and a coal train near Dunfermline
Issue Number 115 (March 2012)
Nicholas Oddy. The NB locomotive that never was..
Model live steam locomotive built by Sampson George Goodall-Copestake, for his son, John Goodall-Copestake, to run in the grounds of Elmwood". The model (7½ gauge) is probably painted with the bronze green paint being applied to full-size locomotives for the NBR in 1895
John McGregor. Queen Street - what might have been. 13-15
Proposals to alleviate the approach from Cowlairs by new lines involved James Keyden, a Glasgow solicitor and Formans & McCall, engineers. A further proposal involved John Strain, another solicitor.
Euan Cameron. Wheatleys 0-6-0 goods engines. 16-27
Douglas Yuill. Coal in East/Midlothian - Part 12. 28-35
Allan Rodgers. E&GR four wheel firsts of 1857-59. 36-9,
John McGregor. E&GR directors meetings 1860-65. 40.
Harry Knox. Polmont derailment 30th July 1984. 44-7.
Serious accident involving a push & pull being propelled by a Class 47 locomotive hit a cow w hilst travelling at 85 mile/h.
Book review. 48
Issue Number 116 (July 2012)
Denis R. Muir. A Wandering Willie footplate trip. 11-12
Writing in the mid-1990s, recalls a 1960 childhood trip home to Longtown from Carlisle on the footplate of Scott class engine No. 62440 Wandering Willie. Originallly published by Liddlesdale Heritage Association. Illustartion: No. 62440 Wandering Willie. at Carlisle.
Euan Cameron. Reids
W.P. Reids 4-4-0 mixed traffic locomotives, the Intermediates, 24 being built at Cowlairs 1906-1910. These engines were allocated to classes D32 & D33 by the LNER. Also popularly referred to as the 882 and 331 classes in NBR period. Both classes were fitted with superheated boilers of approximately the type used on the superheated Scots and Glens, though with some variation in internal arrangements. There were considerable variations in the tube arrangements between boilers built at different times, and those who are interested can follow such details in the RCTS Locomotives of the L. N. E. R., volume 4. I have opted not to transcribe the variations in tube numbers and the calculation of heating surface to decimal points which this tends to encourage - such calculations add little to our understanding of how the engines worked.
No. 865 pilotred by Holmes 0-6-0 No. 679 at Glenfinnan in July 1914 (painting based on photograph page 13)
No. 882, at Eastfield about 1907. page 14 (left)
No. 888 in original NBR livery: Euan Cameron coloured side elevation drrawing. page 14 (right)
No. 888 leaves Edinburgh Waverley on 20 September 1910 with the 14.02 train to Berwick. (K.A.C.R. Nunn)
Engine diagram for LNER class D32 Page 15 (lower)
No. 865 at Haymarket, page 16 (left);
No. 865 in later NBR livery : Euan Cameron coloured side elevation drrawing. page 16 (right)
No. 9864 at Haymarket shed with the coaling tower in the background. (J.J. Cunningham) ,page 17 (upper)
Engine diagram for LNER class D33 page 17 (lower)
No. 888 calls at Seton Mains Halt with 13.53 Edinburgh-Berwick service on 14 July 1928. (J.T. Rutherford, page 18 (left)
Reid Intermediate no. 9891 in LNER green livery : Euan Cameron coloured side elevation drrawing. page 18 (right)
Reid Intermediate (LNER class D32) no. 9891 waits to depart from Corstorphine station on 24th February 1927. (W.E. Boyd) page 19 upper);
No. 331 passes Stobs Camp in 1919 with 14.30 Edinburgh-Carlisle express. (No. 331 was first of second batch, classified D33 by the LNER. (R.B. Haddon) page 19 (lower)
No. 62451, but with N.E. still on tender at Dunbar shed. Driver Willie Wilson, ex-Riccarton, looks out from the cab. Note the slip coupling on the front of the engine. page 20 (left)
No. 9864 in LNER black livery: Euan Cameron coloured side elevation drrawing. page 20 (right)
No. 62457 (ex-NBR No. 866) at Perth shed in full BR lined livery (but tender lettered BRITISH RAILWAYS. (J. Robertson) page 21
Riccarton an out and out railway colony. 22-3.
From Railway Mag., 1912 (May)
Donald Cattanach. James McLaren
Career of McLaren, for twenty years, 1873-93, was NBR General Superintendent. Born Polmont on 5 May 1829; died from heart failure in train approaching Waverley on 30 October 1893. Joined the North British Railway at age of 17, as a booking clerk at Haddington for the opening on 22 June 1846 . From Haddington, he went to a similar post at Berwick. He was promoted to Station Master, first to the small station of Belses (between St Boswells and Hawick), then to Dunbar, and finally, in March 1851, to Berwick. McLarens next move was to Edinburgh in December 1852, as Assistant to the General Manager, Thomas K. Rowbotham. In August 1857, McLaren was appointed Passenger Superintendent. The NBR in 1857 was still a relatively small concern, but 1862 saw amalgamation with the Edinburgh Perth and Dundee, and West of Fife, Railways, and the Companys re-incorporation. This was followed three years later by amalgamation with the Edinburgh & Glasgow. In March 1873, McLarens post was re-designated as General Superintendent equivalent to Superintendent of the Line in some other companies. The duties of the post were considerable. McLaren was the chief operational officer, now responsible for all operating matters and for all operating staff. McLaren lived in the elegant Mount Lodge at the top of Windsor Place, Portobello, set in several acres of its own land, and owned by the NBR. He tended to travel on the footplate of the locomotive when Royalty were being conveyed He was a stern disciplinarian but appears to heve been honest. He was a Freemason.
Letters page. 50
Galloping Gertie Project. Donald Cattanach. 50
Recently, a friend of mine alerted me to a current project being undertaken by a group of enthusiasts from the Swindon & Cricklade Railway to build a full size working replica of ex-Midland & South Western Junction Railway 2-6-0 locomotive No. 16, which was the second of two built for the M&SWJR by Beyer Peacock at Gorton Works in the mid-1890s to an earlier 1880s design of which Beyer Peacock had built 70 engines for export to Australia. No. 16 was based at Andover and used by the M&SWJR to assist with goods train workings between Cheltenham and Southampton.
Following post-Grouping modification by the GWR in the 1920s, engine No. 16 became known locally as "Galloping Gertie" and after service with the GWR was withdrawn in the 1930s. The project group wish to replicate No. 16 as it was when built by Beyer Peacock and have already sourced information from the BP archive. However, they need more information and their attention has been drawn to No. 16's sister engine, No. 14 (see photo), which was the first of the two to be completed in 1895, and had an interesting connection with the NBR.
M&SWJR No. 14 was based at Cheltenham and performed similar duties to No.16. In 1910, she was found to have a serious crack in her frames and by 1913 it was decided to sell the engine for scrap. Fortunately, the government intervened due to the shortage of locomotives at the outbreak of the War and it was decided to resurrect No. 14 by sending her to the NBR's works at Cowlairs for repair. Her boiler was found to be beyond repair, however, and the NBR decided to rebuild the engine with an NBR boiler and cab, plus a second-hand tender. In her new guise, No.14 was sent to the Royal Naval dockyard at Rosyth where she worked the exchange sidings between the dockyard and the NBR main line. At the end of the war, the loco was surplus to requirements and was sold off to the Cramlington Coal Company where she was re-numbered as their No. 15. When the Hartley Main Colliery Company was formed in 1929, the loco became that company's engine No. 16 (not to be confused with her sister, M&SWJR No. 16!) and worked the colliery sidings until 1943, when she was finally withdrawn from service (see photo).
I have been asked by the "Galloping Gertie" Project if I can find out more information about the history of ex- M&SWJR engine No.14 during her time in Scotland, particularly the location of any drawings or records that may exist in the NBR archives detailing her rebuilding and subsequent war time service. So far, obtaining a professional drawing of the loco boiler has eluded the project team and they hope that, in the NBR archives, there may be an original drawing of the boiler fitted at Cowlairs to No. 14, the team's assumption being that, in wartime, it is quite likely a standard NBR boiler was sourced and fitted. From these drawings they would hope, in time, to construct a new boiler for the replica, which should fit the frames, assuming they can locate the BP drawings for the frames. Both M&SWJR engines had the same frame and boiler dimensions so it is assumed that the NBR boiler (for No. 14) would have had similar dimensions to the original Beyer Peacock boiler. They would also like to locate any NCB records concerning her time at Hartley Main.
I would be most grateful if Study Group members who have knowledge of these things could kindly advise me via the Editor. Knowing which type of boiler would be a step forward and perhaps expert members may be able to recognise the type from the photo of the rebuilt engine accompanying this letter. See also Journal 117 page 51 letter from James Armstrong
Issue Number 117 (November 2012)
Preservation of an NBR Atlantic. 3-
From the Railway Magazine, May 1938: No. 9875 Midlothian. which stated repainted in NBR livery, but photographs do not confirm this: No 9875 passing Haymarket Central Junction in June 1939 and No 9875 at Haymarket West with the Queen of Scots Pullman
Trevor Jones.. Railways and the Law part 1. 4-5.
In the opening paragraph, it has been stated that railways have been subject to legal conditions from the earliest days. These conditions are due to a combination of Common Law, Statute and in Scotland the effects of the institutional legal writers such as Stair, Erskine and Bell. However, the carriage of goods and people has been subject to these conditions since the Middle Ages as illustrated by the early English case of Bukton v Tounsede (1348), which is perhaps better known as The Humber Ferry Case Here John Bukton paid Nicholas Tounsede of Hessle a ferryman at a crossing of the River Humber to carry his mare over the river. Tounsede overloaded his boat with horses and Buktons mare was drowned. This is a seminal case of the law of contract as it established a duty of care on the part of the carrier, and in Coggs v Bernard (1703) a carriers liability received the fullest treatment, where the court ruled the only limits by Lord Holt were Acts of God and The Kings Enemies.
Drummond 4-4-0T No 10459 at Granton on 30 September 1925 [photopgraph]. 5
Frederick Stoton. Methil Docks. 6-7
Development of the docks, from the Railway Magazine, April 1908. Includes maps and coal export statistics
Rae Montgomery. Granton branch collision 1970. 8-9.
August 1970 between Bonnington South and Trinity Junctions involving two Type 40 diesel locomotives, both train crews (two drivers, two second men and two guards, all based at Millerhill) escaped with comparatively light injuries, this, in the view of the Inspecting Officer (Railway Employment Inspector C.H. Hewison from the DoE, who had been, I understand, a BR Shedmaster) being due to the noses of the Class 40 locomotives acting effectively as "crumple zones". The final paragraph of the Inspector's report reads: "The accident illustrates, however, that the signalling of trains by telephone messages on a single line such as this cannot be relied upon to operate safely and in my opinion a better and more positive means of working the branch should be sought which will ensure that it will not be entered by more than one train or locomotive at a time".
Express goods trains on the North British Railway. 10-11.
Express freight described in the Railway Magazine, November 1912: these included fast dual-braked services at high speed between the west of Scotland and Tweedsmouth via Coatbridge and the Edinburgh suburban route and traffic from the west for Carlisle over the Waverley route.
Euan Cameron. Drummond & Holmes 0-4-4 tanks.
Designed by both Drummond and Holmes and built in 1877, 1886 & 1889 and allocated to classes G7 (Holmes) & G8 (Drummond) by the LNER. Also popularly referred to as the 157 and 586 classes in NBR days.
Petrol shunting locomotive at Kelso. 21.
Motor Rail and Tram Car Company Ltd. machine. From the Railway Magazine, October 1922
Ed McKenna. Fife traders wagons part 1. 22-9
Smaller fleets of private owners wagons which operated in Fife in NBR days: coal merchants, lime works, paper mills and chemical works
Douglas Yuill. Coal in East/Midlothian Part 14. 30-5.
Line No. 12: Arniston to Fushiebridge (Arniston Emily pit and Gore pit)
Brian Farish. Waverley tales part 3. 36-9
Reminiscences of his early career with BR in the 1950s at Waverley station
J. Francis. Edinburgh and Glasgow Routes of the L.N.E.R. part
From The Railway Magazine January 1927
Rebuilding Berwick Station. 46-8.
From the Railway Magazine, May 1927
Jimmy Hay. North British Railway corpse vans. 49-50.
These vehicles, introduced in 1890, were designed specifically for the conveyance of coffins. It was a common sight to see these either attached to the front or rear of passenger trains, where the cortège would either travel in the accompanying train or in separate hired coaches, usually saloons, if the estate could afford such luxury. When they arrived at their destination, the coffin would be loaded into a waiting hearse. They were common up until WW1, but due to rising costs after this, their use soon became uncommon. Most had been scrapped by the end of 1926. The design of these vans was somewhat unique in having fixed, ventilated ends and folding sides and roofs. Coach axle guards were fitted, with Mansell wheels and full vacuum and Westinghouse brakes, together with a single handbrake on one side only. Some vehicles were fitted with a truss bar between the axle boxes. Screw couplings and safety chains were fitted as standard. The vehicles were painted in coach lake with light yellow lettering shaded to the left and below in vermilion with white separation in part. The wheels had the usual brown centres with white tyres. All ironwork, including that in the Mansell wheels, was black. It is doubtful if these vehicles were ever painted or renumbered in LNER days. Includes two illustrations and diagrams
Letters page. 51
Cramlington Coal Company No 15. James
The NBR skyline of the Cramlington Coal Companys No 15, referred to in Donald Cattanachs letter in Journal 116, has been something of a mystery. The published sources, the IRS Industrial Locomotives of Northumberland, The Midland and South Western Junction Railway; by C G Maggs, and Part 10 of the RCTS Locomotives of the GWR, all have the engine put together partly by the dealer J.F. Wake of Darlington and partly by the CCC itself. None mentions either cracked frames or a visit to Cowlairs and in the IRS volume on the industrial locomotives of Scotland it is not listed as one of those in use at Rosyth. It seems that as early as 1912 the locomotive was listed for withdrawal, and that the original boiler was put to stationary use at Cheltenham when it was withdrawn in 1914. The wheels and frames (bar-frames according to Maggs) were reportedly sold to Wake in January 1918 (together with a MSWJR 2-4-0T), and he is said to have fitted a boiler before selling the resulting assembly in March 1918 to the CCC, which rebuilt the locomotive in 1919 and provided a tender. (This appeared to be on of Wheatleys; the rather more elegant specimen, shown in Donalds letter, came later.) The cab is credited variously to both Wake and the CCC. Wakes business did include rebuilding main-line locomotives for industrial buyers (in 1917 he had even regauged a pair of Irish 2-4-2Ts which also went to Cramlington), and would be well able to take the job on.
There are clearly a lot of gaps in the story, but cracked frames might explain the proposal to withdraw a locomotive only 17 years old in 1912, and wartime shortages could explain the decision to repair them after all in 1918. We are left to infer that they went direct from Cheltenham to Wake, but the dispatch of the 2-4-0T in the same month might tend to support this, and it is difficult in any case to understand why Cowlairs (rather than say nearby Swindon) should be chosen to repair the frames. Like the chimney and cab the boiler, with its dome on the rear ring, was reminiscent of NBR practice though, and even if Wake is accepted as doing the work Cowlairs might well have supplied the materials, and the CCCs tender. The connection may seem tenuous but John Thomas does list J F Wake as one of the firms taking NBR locomotives for repair later on, to help clear arrears of maintenance. I hope more comes to light
Issue Number 118 (March 2013)
Bill Lynn. Working on the North British. 3
St. Margaret's got the job of working Earl Haig's funeral train from Edinbugh to St. Boswells on 7 February 1928: The staff gambled on four ex-servicemen manning it and the shedmaster (Culvert) learned about the gambling and detailed four non-ex-servicemen: Drivers Adam Addison and Jimmy Mackie and Firemen Jimmy Boyd and Geordie Laing.
Jeff Hurst, 7 May 1948 - 20 November 2012. 4-5
Late Chairman of the NBR Study Group.
Stories of the old N. B. 6-7.
Extracted from a series articles on the North British Railway which had appeared in the Weekly Scotsman: this one fom 16 January 1909. A telegraph clerk describes what Edinburgh Waverley was like in the early 1860s when three railways operated rhere: the North British, Edinburgh & Glasgow and the Edinburgh, Perth & Dundee which ran ran from its Canal Street terminusn through Scotland Street tunnel down to Granton. The telegraphic system was maintained by the Electric Telegraph Company. Some of the telegraph clerks were attracted out to Japan. Notes on the booking hall and on one clerk who became the Reverend John McNeill.
Six-wheel six compartment third class carriage built at Cowlairs between 1888 and 1901 (photograph). 7.
J. Francis. Edinburgh and Glasgow routes of the L. N. E. R.
part 2. 8-9
From Railway Magazine, 1927, February. Lines to the north of the Edinburgh and Glasgow main line: Falkirk (Grahamston) and Larbert, Grangemouth and Boness lines, with the Kilsyth and Bonnybridge and Torrance routes. The original Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway included the branch from Polmont to Falkirk (Grahamston), and this involved association with the Scottish Central Railway, then part of the L.M.S. (Caledonian) system, but providing connections which were of advantage to the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway, as it completed an important and useful series of connections and accounts for the intricacy of the inter-working of the L.M.S. and L.N.E. companies in this area. Thus, L.M.S. trains from Princes Street (Edinburgh) use the L.N.E. line from near Haymarket to Polmont, and through the Grahamston and Camelon stations at Falkirk and round to Larbert; both companies work to Grangemouth, though the harbour and docks and part of the route thereto belong to the L.M.S. system, and L.N.E. trains for Stirling and Alloa from Glasgow transfer to the L.M.S.R. at Greenhil l and through Larbert to Stirling and Alloa, also to Alloa via Alloa Bridge.
Ed McKenna. Fife traders' wagons part 2. 10-16.
Robert Lawson, Coal Merchant, Burntisland; William A. Lawson & Co., Colliery Agents, Methil; Martin, Henderson & Co., Maltsters, Pitlessie; William D. Matthew, Net and Coal Merchant, Anstruther; James McNally, Coal Merchant, St. Andrews; Melville & Company, Aerated water manufacturer, Tayport; Miller Bros., Coal Merchant, Auchtermuchty; Robert Milne, Coal Merchant, Cupar; Michael Nairn & Co. Ltd., Linoleum Manufacturer, Kirkcaldy; Newport Town Council; G. J. Pryde, Coal Merchant, Tayport; W. G. Readdie, Coal Merchant, Anstruther (wagon No. 10 illustrated); E. C. Reid, Coal Merchant, Milnathort; Robert Reid & Sons, Timber Merchant, Ladybank & Mawcarse; J. W. Reid, Timber Merchant, Ladybank; James Richmond, Coal Merchant, Kirkcaldy; Rutherford, Son & Grubb, Coal Merchant, St. Andrews; James R. Scrymgeour, Coal Merchant Newport; Thomas Sharp, Coal Merchant, East Newport; Alex. Smith & Son, Coal Merchant, Anstruther (livery: brown oxide with white lettering); Smith, Anderson & Co., Ltd., Fettykill Mill, Leslie (livery: brown oxide with white lettering); Archibald Smith, Coal Merchant, Burntisland; Smith Laing & Co., Jute Spinner, Russell Mills, Springfield; Charles Stark, Coal Merchant, Inverkeithing; John Stewart, Coal Merchant, Newburgh (livery: brown oxide with white lettering); Stuart, Brown & Co., Methil Oilworks, Methil; Tayport Town Council; David Thomson, Coal Merchant, Tayport; Tullis, Russell & Co. Ltd., Paper Mill, Markinch; William M Young, Coal Merchant, Tayport
Donald Cattenach and Allan
Rodgers. Waverley Station a history part 1.
Edinburgh's Waverley railway station is one of the UK's largest and best known stations, located in the valley between the Old and New Towns of Scotland's capital and is, today, part of the city's World Heritage site. There are few, if any, accurate accounts of the origin and development of what became Waverley Station and, in this series of articles, we hope to correct that situation, whilst doing our best to avoid creating any new inaccuracies along the way.
Being in the historic heart of the City, Waverley has been recorded, almost by accident, in the paintings and photographs of many who wished to capture the beauty of Edinburgh's Old and New Towns. We are particularly fortunate that a number of the pioneering photographers of the 19th century were based in the city; and so, there exists a rich photographic record of the development of the station, stretching from the early 1840s to the present day. In this respect, Waverley station is, perhaps, unique.
Brian Farish. Après le deluge part 1. 30-8.
East Coast floods of August 1948
Trevor Jones. Railways and the law part 2 39
Harry Knox. Collision at Lunan Bay 48-9.
Letters page 50
Loanhead station 52
Issue Number 119 (July 2013)
NBR 2-4-0 No 419 at Inverkeithing. front cover
Harry Knox. A black evening at Haymarket
Accident during evening of 28 July 1924 when a stationary Iinner Circle South (Leith Central to Leith Central) which had left Waverley at 18.50 was hit in the rear by the 18.54 Edinburgh to Port Edgar train hauled by J class 4-4-0 No. 9338 Helen McGregor running tender-first and driven by James Swan who claimed that the signals were clear although this was contradicted by George Duncan, a relief signalman working at Haymarket East. An auditory warning system in the tunnel was not heard by Swan. The suburban train was formed of old lightweight gas lit stock due to the pressure of holiday traffic and the rear part was telescoped and demolished in the collision. Five died and more than fifty were injured. Knox who knew Swan noted that the accident was never mentioned.
Jim Summers. A Hurst Dubs-built 0-6-0 for Burtisland.
4mm scale model with relatively little on the prototype for No. 185. See also letter in Issue 120 page 51
Jim Page and Tony Brenchley. Traffic to
Panmure Sidings 1911-12. 10-16.
Carnoustie with traffic for Anderson Grice & Co. Taymouth Engineering Works and Charles Tennant's chemical plant
Anglo-Scot. The City of Glasgow Union Railway. 17-19.
Reprinted from Railway Magazine, 1907, Jnauary: errors or changes in spelling in original, e.g. Buchannan Street retained as on map
Euan Cameron. Wheatley's 2-4-0 passenger engines. 20-9.
Built by Thomas Wheatley for the NBR between 1869 and 1873, built in August 1873 as the first of its class and numbered 418 by the NBR' towards the end of its service life. Although clearly in LNER ownership, the engine still displays its final NBR number 1239. Some of these engines survived the Grouping and were classified E7 by the LNER.
Brian Farish. Après le deluge. Part 2. 30-7.
Scottish East Coast floods of 1948
Trevor Jones. Railways and the law.. Part 3. 38-40.
Acquistion of land, and compensation for it, both in Scotland and in England.
Douglas Yuill. Coal in East/Midlothian Part 16. Line No. 13: Niddrie North, South and Wanton Walls Junctions to Duddingston and Haymarket West and Central Junctions. 41-50.
Railways and the law. John McGregor. 51
Invergarry & Fort Augustus Railway and its ambition of reaching Inverness: involvement of Highland Railway to keep it out and the North British Railway sitting on the fence.
Junction Bridge station. rear cover
Three photographs: one of site of former railway to North Leith; and two in 1852 and 1955, after closure to passengers in 1947.