North British Railway Study
Group Journal Number
Key to all Issue Numbers
No. 120 (November 2013)
Class D34 'Glen' No 9266 'Glen Falloch' at Dunbar in LNER days. The Glens are the subject of the article by Euan Cameron in this edition -
The Leven & East of Fife Railway: a recent book reviewed by Mike Smith.
Authors: Andrew Hajducki, Mike Jodeluk and Alan Simpson. Published by Oakwood Press. "remarkably comprehensive piece of work"..
G9 0-4-4T No. 9355 at Leuchars on 4 September 1935. 3.
Alan Simpson. Kirkcaldy Harbour branch and its traffic Part 1. 4-13.
Brian Farish. Wartime at Junction Bridge. 14-15.
WW2 Lüftwaffe raid on Leith on evening of Monday 7 April 1941, lone Heinkel 111 dropped two large aerial parachute mines , the first exploding over Leith Town Hall and the David Kilpatrick school annex whilst the second exploded in Largo Place directly opposite the platform at Junction Bridge station on the North Leith branch causing damage to the station as depicted in the three photographs..
Euan Cameron. The 'Glen' class 4-4-0s. 16-21
Reid modern inside cylinder 4-4-0 with superheater and large diameter oiston valves. Worked on West Highland lin until displaced by more powerful designs introduced by LNER. Used on other secondary routes. No. 356 Glen Douglas is preserved and the main depratures from original state are listed.
Nos 9221 Glen Orchy and 9110 Glen Dochart at Crianlarich on 27 July 1926 with train to Glasgow. Page 16
No 307 Glen Nevis in later NBR livery with control number on tender. (Euan Cameron coloured drawing) Page 17 upper
No 9405 Glen Spean in LNER lined black livery. (Euan Cameron coloured drawing) Page 17 lower
No 258 Glen Roy at Eastfield shed in NBR livery, date unknown but assumed to be between September 1913 when the locomotive was built and May 1925 when re-painted by the LNER Page 18
No 62483 Glen Garry with tender lettered BRITISH RAILWAYS at St Margarets shed on 6 August 1949.
Donald Cattanach and Allan Rodgers. Waverley Station
a history. Part 2: The early years 1846 1860. 22-36
Part 1 see page XX. The working of the station was complicated by the development of servicess other than the original Berwick destination (including the Waverley Route to the Borders and the arrival of the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway and Edinburgh, Perth & Dundee (although the latter was really only a link to the ports on the Forth).
Atmospheric photograph, probably taken in the late 1850s, showing Leith Wynd descending towards Low Calton. The foremost bridge is a wooden structure built c1856 to link the east and west coal yards, behind which can be seen the unusual signal cabin, with its arrangement of semaphore arms, believed to have been built c1853. To the left of the signal cabin there is a view of the eastern end of the large goods shed erected c1849. Page 22
Trinity College Church with NBR wagons in front in 1848. Page 23
View of east side of Waverley looking north towards Shakespeare Square and the Regent Bridge, probably taken soon after the relaying of the goods lines in 1858. In the foreground is part of the vegetable market area with the railway arch over the Canal Street extension on the right. The 1849 goods shed is clearly shown, with the two storey goods office building (built c1852) behind it to the left and, in front of this building, is the goods loading bank and water tank. Note the repositioned engine turntable on the right of the image, together with its adjacent water column, just above the Canal Street railway arch. The two operating hand wheels are clearly visible. The carriages on the left include an NBR parcels van (number 68?) and an early first class carriage, partly obscured, to its right. The first class vehicle (No. 79) to the left of the parcels van does not appear to be North British the door crest suggests it could be Caledonian. There is an interesting variety of early NBR goods vehicles in the goods yard and, sitting just in front of the west end of the goods shed, is a rake of three E&GR mineral wagons. Page 25
View, probably taken in the mid-1850s, from the North Bridge showing the E&GR goods sheds with the then southernmost arch of the Waverley Bridge in the background; the roof of the Joint Station shed, showing the arrangement of roof lights and ventilators, with the station building fronting Waverley Bridge in the background note the pitched roof of the overbridge between the station building and the train shed. Lying on the north side of Canal Street are the EP&DR station buildings. The engine house, with its truncated chimney, is seen nearest the camera; to the right of the station buildings can be seen the raised walkway giving access to Princes Street via a split stairway, and in the background is the wooden paling fronting Waverley Bridge which gave rise to many complaints; the top of the Scotland Street tunnel portal can just be seen above the raised walkway. Page 28
View from the North Bridge looking west over the E&GR goods yard, recorded as taken about 1854, but could be later. On the right is the roof of the Joint Station train shed and, in the foreground, running at right angles to the train shed, is the roof of the E&GRs carriage shed. The E&GR goods sheds are in the centre of the picture and on the south side, bordering Market Street, can be seen the remaining wall of what is thought to have been the short lived E&GR warehouse. Page 29
Taken c1854, the viewpoint is unusual and appears to be from the building adjoining the south east corner of the North Bridge. In the foreground are the original two goods sheds built on the south side of the main line c.1846. To the east, the signal cabin is visible, with the grain shed behind it. To the left of the photograph is the 1849 goods shed with a coal yard in front. Page 30
View taken c1856 showing Joint Station from vicinity of the Bank of Scotland looking eastwards towards the North Bridge. In the foreground is the junction of Market Street and Waverley Bridge with the E&GR goods yard immediately beyond. The Joint Station train shed is shown to good effect and, in the north east corner of the train shed, the narrow roof covering the platform of the NBRs short trains is seen extending under the North Bridge. To the north of the Joint Station train shed is the NBRs goods shed built c. 1852 (originally intended to be a passenger shed), located on the railway track running under the New Buildings on the North Bridge. Looking down Market Street, at the east end of the E&GR goods yard, there appears to be a short section of what was the companys short lived warehouse building still standing. Note the line of horse cabs awaiting passengers on the access roadway from Market Street. Page 31
View is an enlargement from a photograph by Begbie and can be dated to May 1858, as the timberwork for the construction of the fourth arch on Waverley Bridge can just be seen through the arch of the North Bridge visible on the left; (the new arch was built between May and September 1858). In the centre foreground is the signal cabin and the approach trackwork to the Joint Station train shed, to the right of which can be seen the converted carriage shed now in use as a platform for the NBRs short trains. Page 32 upper
North Bridge looking west from Calton Hill with good view of North British side of Waverley, probably c.1860. Under the north-most main arch of the bridge is the Joint Station train shed with a narrow platform extension and canopy on the south side for arriving NBR trains, whilst on the other side of the same arch is the short train platform. It appears that a goods van has come off the turntable (centre foreground). Page 32 lower
View from vicinity of Scott Monument looking across to the Old Town and enlarged to show the Waverley Bridge with the new fourth arch completed; and so, probably taken towards the end of 1858 or early in 1859. It shows quite clearly the additional arches installed under the main arch of the bridge to reinforce it. It is also interesting to note the variety of carriage stock in the picture and the fact that there is a composite carriage in process of being turned on one of the turntables adjacent to the bridge. Note also the signal post in front of this carriage which is understood to have controlled movements to/from the EP&DR and the E&GR. In the background, demolition work for the building of Cockburn Street is taking place. Page 33
Model portraying the area around Shakespeare Square and the North British goods yard at Waverley, probably built in connection with the NBRs 1847 or 1848 Parliamentary Bills. Page 35
Andrew Hajducki. The Suffragette attack at Leuchars Junction. 37-9.
East Fife was the constituency of Asquith, the Prime Minister and buildings were targetted including those of a laboratory at the University of St. Andrews and the station at Leuchars Junction: the latter during the eatrly hours of Monday 30 June 1913 when it was set on fire. Damage was considerable but the station remained open although the Board considered relocating it to enable through trains to run to St. Andrews from the south. Photographs show the fire damage and work on restoration.
Douglas Yuill. Coal in East and Midlothian - Part 17. 40-6.
Line No. 13: Niddrie North, South and Wanton Walls Junctions to Duddingston and Haymarket West and Central Junctions (Continued): Newcraighall village and its railways
Trevor Jones. Railways and the Law part 4. 47-51.
Powers of deviation; including in the case of engineering work: the Board of Trade could permit a tunnel in place of a cutting or a viaduct in place of an embankment; the extent to which deposited plans were binding on the company; corrections of errors and omissions in plans; contracts for the construction of the line; provisions against delay in executing the works; Interference with roads crossing public roads by means of bridges; maintenance and repair of bridges: gates at level crossings; Board of Trade may require a bridge to be substituted for a level crossing; interference with streets in construction of underground railways; accommodation works; obligation to fence is between the company and adjacent owners and occupiers.
Jim Summers writes:
Anent my remarks in the Journal 119 (page 9) where I speculated about what happened at night to convey the same message as the white circles on bufferbeams conveyed by day. The answer is of course to be found in the Rule Book, and that for the Scottish Central Railway of 1852 states that the fireman of an Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway train must at night, BEFORE reaching the South end of the Tunnel, wave his White Light from side to side ACROSS his body, and he will continue to do so until the Engine is clear of the Junction.
[Bell formerly at Edinburgh & Dalkeith Railway station at Constitution
Kenneth Williamson photograph
No. 121 (March 2014)
An Index to the Journals David King 3
Alan Simpson. Kirkcaldy Harbour branch and its traffic - part 2. 4-14
Euan Cameron. The 633 and 729 Class 4-4-0s. 15-24
John McGregor. Abbotsfords on the West Highland. 25-9.
Rebuilt Drummond Abbotsford 4-4-0s were used as a stop gap measure during the mid-1900s. Before this the NBR Board and its officers were uneasy about the West Highland Line: its steep gradients; its severe curvature and in places its inadequate structures (notably culverts) and unconsolidated earthworks.
No. 479 Abbotsford at Criamlarich inspring 1906 (painting reproduced in colour). C. Hamilton Ellis. page 25
Rebuilt Drummond Abbotsford 4-4-0 No. 473 in Fort William station. photograph. page 26
Rebuilt Drummond Abbotsford 4-4-0 No. 473 at Spean Bridge in August 1906 photograph. page 28
John S Wilson. Observations from Portobello, 1963. 30-4.
Trevor Jones. Railways and the Law part 5. Company infrastruture
and operation. 35-9.
Leases of railway lines required Parliamentary sanction and this is illustrated by the lease of the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway to Messrs Peto, Brassey and Betts; and by the Sevenoaks, Maidstone and Tunbridge Railway where constructional difficulties led to partial abandonment and an attempt to lease the company to lease the line in perpetuity to the London Chatham & Dover Railway, but perpetual leases are not permitted under English law. Running powers and joint stations were a ccause of disputes, especially where the Caledonian and Great North of Scotland Railway owned a joint station which the North British accessed via running powers. An Appendix records the sometimes contentious running powers enjoyed by the North Eastern Railway between Berwick and Edinburgh since 1869 but were disputed in 1894.
Douglas Yuill. Coal Industry in East and Midlothian - Part 18. 40
The Pinkie Railway to Fisherrow. Olive Bank Colliery.
Donald Cattanach. Waverley Station names. 46-9
Plain Edinburgh; plain Waverley and Edinburgh Waverley and for a time the General Station
Book reviews. 50
The West Highland Railway, The West Highland Extension. both by John
McGregor reviewed by Mike Smith. 50
Books published by Amberley.
Journal 109 cover. Mike
Journal 109 cover. Ian
Suggests north and west of Glasgow
The Tay Bridge Memorial journal Team 52
No. 122 (July 2014)
Ian Nimmo White. The death toll of the Tay Bridge disaster. 3.
59, not 75, died. With the exception of William Benyon, a photographer from Cheltenham, travelling to Dundee on business all the passengers had connections with Dundee, The driver, David Mitchell is buried in an unmarked grave at Leslie. Memorial at Wormit.
Armoured trains fpr the defence of the East
States reproduced from the Locomotive Mag., 1919, 25, 49-50, but the illustrations are different: herein fitted with a cowcatcher on gun truck and has a wire fence in foreground and lacks buildings behind
Euan Cameron. The 351 class 2-4-0s. 13-23.
The design emerged during the brief tenure of William Steele Brown and Cameron considers that the design owes much to Archibald Sturrock's large (for the time) 2-4-0 locomotives built for the Great Northern Railway (GNR No. 268 built by the Yorkshire Engine Co. for the GNR is depicted on page 14). Drummonds rebuildings of 351, 352 and 354 of 1882 (sometimes incorrectly at5tributed to Holmes). Holmes rebuyiloding of 353, 355-6 and 349-50 and Wheatleys rebuilds of 37 and 38 in 351 Class style. Euan Cameron coloured drawings include No. 101 in what is termed highly speculative Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway green livery; No. 354 in NBR brown livery No, 356 as rebuilt by Holmes in bronze livery and No. 38 in Wheatley condition
C.E.S. Littlejohn. The Dundee and Arbroath Railway. 24-33
Reproduced from the September 1909 issue of Railway Magazine
The closure of the Silloth branch: the recollections of two railwaymen in
the 50th anniversary year. 34-43.
In October 2013 an enquiry was received from Peter Ostle of the Holme St Cuthbert History Group in Cumbria. The Group was seeking information about the Silloth line for an intended exhibition to mark the ieth anniversary of its closure on 7 September 1964. We were able to assist and, in return, Peter provided transcripts of his interviews with the driver and guard on the last train Jimmy Lister and Archie Brand together with the accompanying photographs. Sadly, Archie Brand died at the end of May. We are grateful to Peter, to Jimmy and to Archie's wife, Mrs Win Brand, for permission to reproduce the material. The exhibition moved to Carlisle Library.
Douglas Yuill. The North British Railway and the coal industry in
Midlothian and East Lothian. Part 19. 44-50
Line No. 20. Millerhill Junction to Glencorse
Bill Lynn writes:: in reply to Mike Smiths letter which appeared in the current Group Journal [Journal
No. 123 (November 2014)
Alan Simpson. The Burntisland Railway Accident of April 1914. 4-11
On 14 April 1914 the 03.55 Edinburgh to Aberdeen express withb through coaches from King's cross collided with a Carlisle to Dundee freight which ws being backed into sidings. The enginemen on Atlantic No. 872 Auld Reekie were killed: they were Driver John Dickson and Fireman William McDonald, both from Aberdeen (their funerals are described). Four passengers were seriously injured. The locomotive fell on top of the footplate crew. The accident was investigated by Major Pringle and the cause was signalman error: in this case he was Thomas Watt
Euan Cameron. The 239 Class 0-4-4 tanks.
Reid class introduced in 1909 and supplied by the North British Locomotive Company. The LNER classification was G9. Last withdrawn in November 1940. Illustrations:
NBR No. 239, in what appears to be a works photograph described as being at Queens Park. Page 12
No. 475 photographed at Eastfield in NBR livery with garter coat of arms on side tanks. Page 13 upper
No. 355 at Dundee, showing later NBR style with control number on side tanks. Page 13 lower
No. 475 with control number on side tanks: Euan Cameron coloured drawing. Page 14
LNER No. 9334 at Craigentinny Carriage Sidings, in lined black livery and with safety valves on the firebox. Page 15
Donald Cattenach and Allan Rodgers. Waverley Station
a history Part 3. 16-33
Negotiations between the company and the city concerning the markets.
East end of Waverley station taken around 1875/76 by the Edinburgh photographer Alexander Inglis. The station is shown in a state of transformation from the original cramped layout of the Joint station to a more commodious one facilitated by the 1860s company amalgamations, the opening of the new line to Granton (via Abbeyhill) and the agreement with the Town Council which allowed the re-location of the various markets. At the south end of the North Bridge, the arches are being rebuilt to accommodate the extension of Market Street eastwards and the demolition of old buildings is already in progress prior to the construction of Jeffrey Street. Page 16
This view of Waverley taken from the Castle by G.W. Wilson, probably in 1869, shows the original Joint Station in its final form. The old EP&DR station platform area and tunnel entrance has been demolished and the new open Waverley Market space and Waverley Steps have just been built. Work on widening the North Bridge has not yet started. The original Waverley Bridge still exists and a number of goods vans are sitting on the curve through the northernmost arch which originally connected with the EP&DR station, the line probably still connecting with the old EP&DR goods shed. The EP&DR station booking hall and associated buildings still exist at this date. Page 17
A second G.W.Wilson photograph, also taken from the Castle, shortly after the North Bridge had been widened, but before work started on the south train shed roof. The new north train shed roof and the roof over the station entrance at the bottom of the Canal Street ramp are clearly visible. Waverley Market is not yet roofed over. This image was probably taken in 1875ki which is around the same time as the Inglis¡¦ view taken from the Calton Hill. Page 19
In this final image by G.W. Wilson, probably taken in early 1878kl, we see that the new south train shed roof has been built, although still open at its west end. The south part of the original Joint Station booking hall has now been removed, just leaving the north side still standing adjacent to the new train shed roof for use as a parcel office. Work has started to erect platform canopies west of Waverley Bridge and the Waverley Market has now been roofed over. Page 21
In this Inglis photograph close-up, we see the platforms at the north east corner of the North Bridge. Quite a busy scene with most platforms occupied with an interesting variety of both old and new carriage stock. The station bookstall can just be seen positioned against the north face of the bridge arch. Page 22
A view looking through the arches of the North Bridge extracted from the Inglis photograph. There are three locomotives in this view, all of North Eastern origin, not an NB engine in sight! The recent widening work on the North Bridge can be clearly seen and underneath the right hand arch the original wall of the old Joint station train shed still stands. Looking through the left hand arch there is an interesting view of the goods yard note the horse drawn furniture van on a flat truck at the loading bank. Page 23
A view of the goods sheds at the south side of the station showing a variety of merchandise wagons, plus a Wheatley brake van at the left of the photo. Lots of men standing around another busy day on the NB Look closely at the main shed in the picture your eyes are not deceiving you it really is curved. The Physic Gardens roadway runs along behind the sheds with an interesting variety of buildings on its south side. The tenement at the west end of the block would shortly be demolished to make way for Jeffrey Street and the remaining buildings would go in a few years time to allow further expansion of the NBR goods facilities. Page 24
An interesting departure scene at the east end of Waverley as a train is made ready to leave, with the lamp men busy on the carriage roofs. There are a number of old carriages, some dating from the 1840hes, visible in the backgro. Page 28
An interesting view of the east end of Waverley from the North Bridge, about 1869. The large goods shed in the foreground was built c.1865i and transferred for use elsewhere c. ÆÌljm. This is the only image known to the authors which shows the 1850s signal cabin now re-built adjacent to the grain shed around 1868/9. It probably remained in this position until the building of the signal bridge and signal box shown in the 1878 re-signalling plan accompanying this article. Page 31
Douglas Yuill. Coal industry in East and Midlothian Part 20.
Line No. 20. Millerhill Junction to Glencorse, continued
Trevor Jones. Railways and the law - Part 6 41-7
The railway as a carrier of goods and passengers; the concept of the common carrier. The carriage of dangerous goods, the carriage of animals. Passengers' luggage. The period for which a railway was liable.
Book Review. 48
The North British Railway: a history by David Ross. Reviewed by Andrew Boyd. 48
Written from what Ross describes in the foreword as the first continuous chronological account of the company. This approach has the advantage of helping to place the development and operation of the railway in the context of the financing of the companys capital and the direction and management of its corporate, financial and business affairs. It also serves as a useful reminder that ultimately railways (at least in this country) were largely built by investors seeking a return on their capital although in the case of the NBR there do seem to have been occasions on which the ordinary share-holders were not persuaded that the board had the share-holders immediate interests in the forefront of their mind. One disadvantage is that the narrative often jumps abruptly from one topic to another and so the reader has to jump from, say, boardroom machinations and share issues to traffic and operations. This can sometimes be disconcerting. In taking this approach the present author has tackled his subject in a different way from that of John Thomas, the last author to write a history of the company, which was published in two volumes, but provides a more readable story and a more selective account but the present author provides much greater detail and analysis especially of financial affairs. .
Routes and lines The Dundee & Arbroath Railway follow-up Jim Page 49
Reminiscences The closure of the Silloth Branch follow-up Alasdair Lauder and John Wilson. 50
Craigentinny Carriage Sidings .
No. 124 (March 2015)
Harry Knox. A very near miss at East Fortune.
1 November 1906: trains involved were 19.40 Glasgow Sighthill to London King's Cross fully-fitted express freight worked by NBR 4-4-0 as far as Tweedsmouth. One of the vans owned by the NER became derailed and the train divided. Once the driver had established what had happened he uncoupled his locomotive, instructed his firemen to carry a red lamp on the front of the locomotive and spounded his whistle in an attempt to halt the 14.20 ex-King's Cross driven by a North Eastern Railway driver who managed to stop his train just short of the obstruction. Major J.W. Pringle investigated and commended all the footplate crews for their diligence especially fireman McCaig. The career of NER Driver Alexander (Sandy) Davidson is described in dtail.
Alan Simpson. Accidents at the White Gates level crossing in Dysart. 10-17.
Euan Cameron. The Drummond 474 class 2-2-2s.
Very similar to Stroudley's 2-2-2 Grosvenor built for the LBSCR. There were two locomotives in the class Nos. 474 and 475 Berwick. They were only slightly modified and remained on light express duties until withdrawn in about 1910.
Douglas Yuill. The North British Railway and the coal industry in Midlothian and East Lothian Part 21. Line No. 20 Millerhill Junction to Glencorse, continued. 28-37.
Trevor Jones. Railways and the Law. 38-43,
North British Railway Rates and Charges Act, Part 1 Goods and minerals.
No. 125 (July 2015)
The Borders Railway. 3-5
Illustrations: Holmes 4-4-0 No. 231 at Galashiels; Newtongrange station looking north; Heriot station and level crossing; Gorebridge station looking south; Foutainhall Junction looking north and looking suth; Galashiels station looking south.
Euan Cameron. The Holmes 18" 0-6-0s. 6-23.
Later known as LNER J36 class. Some used by ROD in WW1 and given names subsequently. Maude is preserved. Includes 3 coloured side elevations (2 with Holmes cabs and 1 with Reid side-window cab No. 5211 in LNER post-WW2 apple green livery with Gill Sans lettering and numbering.
Alan Simpson. Randolph Colliery and its rail traffic. 24-8
Near Kirkcaldy: includes maps of area.
New Passenger Rolling Stock on the NBR. 29
Railway Magazine July 1921: Pickering 3rd class non-corridor coach with steel underframe
Douglas Yuill. Coal Industry in East and Midlothian Part 22 30
NBR signals. 39
Lower quadrant signals at unidentified location. flap-type shunt signal on the bracket of signal closer to photographer.
Trevor Jones. Railways and the Law Part 7. 40-5.
Legal responsibilities of railway companies towards owners of freight carried; towards passengers (and injuries if incurred during transit); towards their staff; visitors to railway premises and trespassers.
From our photograph archive [trespass signs]. 46
Cast iron NBR sign at Torrance Station, 30 May 1954; enamel Dundee & Arbroath Joint Railway sign at Carmyllie Station, 29 May 1955; enamel NBR sign at an unknown location; enamel Dumbarton & Balloch Joint Line sign at Dumbarton Station, October 1955.
Book Review. 47
The Railway Infrastructure of Scotland . Brian J. Dickson. Kestrel Books. reviewed by Ian Terrell. 47
Feedback The Closure of the Silloth Branch Bill Lynn, 48
The Closure of the Silloth Branch. Alasdair Lauder
Musselburgh Station, OS maps from 1853 and 1893 Journal
See also letter from John S, Wilson (Issue 127 p. 50)
Number 126 (November 2015)
A memorial to Jeff Hurst. 3-4.
Unveiled at Shawfair station on the Borders Railway on Sunday 25 October 2015 by his widow Margaret.
Andrew Boyd. 4M65: on the goods to Carlisle. 4-9.
Party of railway enthusiasts trtavelled in brake vans at front of fitted freight hauled by Type 40 No. D261 Enlgish Electric diesel locomotive from Millerhill yard over the Waverley route to Carlisle on 13 December 1968
Trevor Jones. Railways and the Law Part 8 10
Donald Cattenach and Allan
Rodgers. Waverley Station: a history Part 4. Descent into
chaos and plans for the future, 1880-1891. 18-31
From the early 1880s Waverley was at least partially lit by electricity: from June 1882 by the Scottish Brush Electric Light & Power Co. Ltd and when it went into liquidation the NBR bought the plant from the liquidators.
In July 1890, the NBR suffered the humiliation of being told how to conduct its business by its English partners: ¡¥Board ÆÌe/k/me. Waverley Station. A memorandum from the East Coast and Midland Companies on the subject of the accommodation at Waverley Station was perused and carefully examined and it was referred to the General Manager to give early effect to the suggestions made therein so far as these may be found practicable.
By chance, a transcription of it has come to light. It was signed by Matthew William Thompson, Chairman of the Midland Railway, and by Lord Colville of Culross, Chairman of the Great Northern Railway, and handed by Colville to Walker in London on m July. The following suggestions are submitted for the consideration of the Board of the North British Railway Company.
Mr Cockshott and Mr Ingliston, the Superintendents of the Great Northern and Midland Railway Companies have visited Edinburgh for the purpose of considering what steps could be taken to avoid the delay now occurring to the through East Coast and Midland trains at the Waverley Station.
Having regard to the considerable difficulties resulting from the want of platform and siding accommodation at the Station it is suggested that the working may be improved by utilizing a portion of the goods yard, particularly the two sidings next to, and outside the south wall of the Passenger Station for the purpose of shunting or standing carriages and by running some of the through down trains to the new platform so as to admit of an additional down train being admitted when the main platform is occupied and they suggest further that as far as possible excursion and local or suburban trains be dealt with at one or other of the North British Company¦s Edinburgh Stations instead of Waverley and that an Engine Turntable be put down at Waverley at once to save the necessity for empty engines going through either of the tunnels east or west of the Station to turn.
The above appear to the Superintendents to be essentially necessary at the present moment but it may be advisable also to divide some of the important trains at points at or near the Portobello Junction on the south or the Corstorphine Junction on the north so that the Aberdeen and Perth trains may be run by the Suburban line, avoiding Waverley, and if this be determined on, any sidings necessary at either place should be put down at once.
The delays to the through trains are so serious and affect so detrimentally the passenger traffic of the East Coast and Midland routes, that the chairmen of the Companies concerned send this Memorandum to the North British Board in the hope that they will give their earnest and immediate attention not only to the limited and temporary improvements suggested by the Superintendents but also to the consideration of the more important question of the permanent enlargement of the Station and its approaches.
The two Superintendents had not announced their presence in Edinburgh, far less consulted, prior to making their report. Secretary G B Wieland wrote immediately after the Board meeting to assure the NBR¡¦s partners that instructions were given for the immediate carrying out of such of the suggestions as appeared to the Board to be practicable¦. Walker, detained in London, wired Engineer-in-Chief Carswell to go ahead with the proposed turntable immediately, but McLaren advised Chairman Lord Tweeddale that its construction would disrupt the traffic, and it would be no good for west end engines. Order, counter-order, and disorder! It was never built.
Waverley taken from the roof of the City Chambers in 1885 soon after the suburban platforms were opened to passengers on 1 December 1884
Lord High Commissioners procession in 1884 crossing North Bridge (showing Post Office hydraulic lift)
west end of Waverley station from the Scott Monument, probably taken in the late 1880s
roof of Waverley Market & gable end of old North British Station Hotel in mid-1880s
east end of Waverley, probably taken around 1887-90*
Ordnance Survey map 1895
Plan of 1890 for developments at east eend of Waverley (not implemented)
Maps (plans) of proposals made by Caledonian and North British Railways for railways in Edinburgh and in Leith 1890
Beyer Peacock former Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway 0-4-2 No. 319 at west end of Waverley: umbrella roofs to platforms late 1880s
view from above The Mound towards Calton Hill and North Bridge with Waverley in between
Drummond 0-6-0T No. 297 at east end with Regent Arch behind
* showing a very busy scene with most of the east end platforms full;
dominating the bottom right of the image is the goods shed roof and beyond
the end of the platforms can be seen the signal bridge with its signal cabin
straddling the tracks; immediately to the right of the signal bridge is the
hydraulic engine house and to the right of that is a pretty full goods yard.
Above the railway can be seen the Calton Jail, pictured after the original
Robert Adam debtor's jail of 1791 (known as the Bridewell) had been demolished
and rebuilt during the period 1884-7 in a style which appears to imitate
that of a square towered medieval castle.
Euan Cameron. Locomotives for the Gartverrie Branch. 32-5
Glenboig fireclay and firebrick industry included the Gartverrie Fire Clay Company which was served by a branch line which descended beneath the Caledonian main line and led to a severe height restriction and the need for special cabs and boiler mountings. Branch served from Kipps shed. Concentrates on modifications to Class J36 0-6-0 type. No. 65285 is depicted in one of author's beautiful coloured side elevations: J33 No. 9021 is also depicted. Refers to Issue 115 for modifications to earlier locomotives
Douglas Yuill. Coal industry in East and Midlothian Part 23.
A large amount of tabulated data on merchants' names and addresses and wagon ownership including depots served by the Caledonian Railway. Extensive bibliography. Photographs of wagons: 8 ton dumb-buffered wagon owned by Tranent Colleries; A. Stewart, Gorgie station; Waldie of Leith; dumb-buffered wagon owned Leith Provident Co-opersative Society
Feedback Additional information on various points Journal Readers 50
Millerhill Station and Junction, OS map from 1894 Journal Team 51
Number 127 (March 2016)
Galashiels station in 1930s. front cover
See information (Issue 128 page 32) from John Minnis of Lens of Sutton Association stating that taken by Professor C.E.J. Fordyce in 1930s.
Jim Hay. Signalling on the NBR. 3-18.
Author emphsises that not a detailed history, but rather a set of coloured drawings to show representative signals, largely the products of Stevens & Sons and the Railway Signal Co. Sigmal cabins are neither illustrated nor described. Very early types of signal are included.
Euan Cameron. The four-wheeled tender locomotives of the North British
Notes that with the exception of the Wheatley 0-4-0 Nos. 357 and 358 (which lasted into LNER ownership as class Y10), most of the type were inherited from earler companies and that archival sources for dimensions are sometimes contradictory. The Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway owned three Bury bar-frame 0-4-0s: Playfair, LaPlace and Leslie (later numbered 18-20): they did not enter NBR stock (illustrated by similar London & Birmingham locomotive) . Both R. & W. Hawthorn of Newcastle and Hawthorns & Co. of Leith supplied four-wheeled tender locomotives which eventually became a part of North British Railway stock, but there is a lack of knowledge about them. Ex-Monklands Railway Nos. 268 and 269..
Douglas Yuill. The North British Railway and the coal industry in
East and Midlothian. 34-43.
Trevor Jones. Railways and the Law Part 9. 44-9.
Nationalisation; Transport Acts of 1953 and 1962; legislation in Northern Ireland and Irish Free State. Conclusion and extensive bibliography.
Feedback Comments and corrections Journal readers 50
Musselburgh. (Journal 125 page 50). John
Comments that Musselburgh station as shown on the map was opened on 14 July 1846. That was not correct, as the map showed the terminus station at the end of the branch line beside the River Esk and he date should have been 14 July 1847. The station on the main line, which was initially called Musselburgh, opened on 27 June 1846 but was renamed Inveresk when the station illustrated in the article was opened
The back cover Galashiels. 51 and rear
Galashiels station with NBR 4-4-0T No. 79 (p. 51 upper), Galashiels station with searchlight colour light signal (p. 51 lower) OS map from the 1890s (rear cover). See also further information from John Minnis
Number 128 (July 2016)
Euan Cameron. 0-4-2 and 0-4-2T locomotives of the North British Railway.
The first 26 locomotives ordered by the NBR were engines designed and built by R. & W. Hawthorn of Newcastle. The locomotives were not all identical and some may have been originally intended for other buyers. In general, these were Robert Stephenson Patentee type locomotves, with heavy outside sandwich frames and outside cranks on the driving wheels. Hawthorns of Leith was entirely independent of its Newcastle namesake though named after a temporary venture by the latter, built a number of 0-4-2 versions of its successful 0-4-0 outside cylinder tender locomotive. Two worked for the Peebles Railway and another may have been acquired by the N. B. by another route. Neilsons of Glasgow built large numbers of goods locomotives with outside cylinders and the 0-4-2 wheel arrangement, usually with low boilers, large domes over the firebox and bent-over weatherboards. The type was chiefly associated with the Caledonian, but the N. B. acquired numbers of these via the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and the Monkland Railways. They mostly did not last long; some that did were rebuilt as outside-cylinder small-wheeled 0-6-0s. In the mid-1850s the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway, faced with the imminent disintegration of much of its early locomotive stock, began to acquire some fine new locomotives from the recently founded Beyer, Peacock & Co. These orders began with some splendid mixed-framed 2-2-2 in 1856; then in 1859-62 the company supplied four 2-4-0s, two more 2-2-2s and twelve 0-4-2s. Beautifully designed and well-engineered, these engines passed to the N.B. and after rebuilding served the company for many years. The tenders were four-wheels, outside bearings and originally clasp brakes.
William Hurst's tank engines. Between 1857 and 1864 William Hurst, locomotive superintendent of the North British Railway, built some tank locomotives at St Margaret's Works in Edinburgh. These inside-cylindered, inside framed well-tank/ back tank engines with 12 x 18 inch cylinders were relatively light and flimsy, but they gave reliable service on branch line passenger services until the Drummond era. Drummond may even have considered rebuilding them, though this did not happen. The Hurst tanks worked mainly to the south of Edinburgh including those to Selkirk and Dolphinton.
In 1864 Cowlairs manaufactured some 0-4-2 tender locomotives with 5ft coupled wheels. It is possible that William Stroudley had some input into this design which included a side window cab.
Finally No. 262 (0-4-2ST) appears to have been assembled from remnants and was larger: "a substantial engine with15" x 22" cylinders" with a lot of Hawthorn material within its anatomy.
Hurst 0-4-2T No. 97 at Selkirk (photograph) page 3
R. & W. Hawthorn 0-4-2 at eastern endv of Edinburgh Waverley c1870 (photograph) page 4
Hurst 0-4-2T at St. Margarets Works (photograph) page 4
Hurst 0-4-2T No. 87 built at Cowlairs (Euan Cameron coloured drawing). page 5
0-4-2T No. 107 possibly at Leadburn c1878 (photograph) page 5
0-4-2 No. 318 as built (Euan Cameron coloured drawing). page 6
0-4-2 No. 324 as rebuilt (Euan Cameron coloured drawing). page 6
No. 317 rebuilt by Wheatley with new boiler and cab: Waverley West end c1890 (photograph) page 7
No. 317 rebuilt by Holmes: Waverley West end c1900 (photograph) page 7
Cowlairs built 0-4-2 (possible No. 331) at unknown location (photograph) page 9
0-4-2 No. 330 as built (Euan Cameron coloured drawing). page 10
0-4-2 No. 330 as rebuilt (Euan Cameron coloured drawing). page 10
Cowlairs built 0-4-2 (possibly No. 333) at unknown location (photograph) page 11
No. 1031 with suburban headboard (photograph) page 11
Beyer Peacock No. 322 as rebuilt by Drummond at Cowlairs (photograph) page 12
No. 334 as rebuilt by Holmes at Bathgate Lower (photograph) page 13
No. 262 (0-4-2ST) (Euan Cameron coloured drawing). page 14
No. 262 (0-4-2ST) after rebuilding (Euan Cameron coloured drawing). page 14
No. 262 (0-4-2ST) before rebuilding at Kilsyth (photograph). page 15
No. 262 (0-4-2ST) after rebuilding (photograph). page 15
Alan Simpson. Along Den Road [Kirkcaldy]. 17-30.
Ungated crossings over Den Road to Dunnikier Felt Mill owned by Nairn and to the Saturation Plant of Nairn's Congoleum works and over Smeaton Road. to Dunnikier Sawmills owned by Ferguson: previously the Panny Pit of the Fife Coal Co.
Den Road [Kirkcaldy] photographs by P. Wesstwater. 31-2
BR Standard class 4 2-6-0 No. 76111 on stopping train
J39 No. 64790
J37 No. 64582
V2 No. 60840 on fast freight
A2/2 No. 60519 Honeyway
B1 No. 61172 on excursion
WD 2-8-0 No. 90117 reversing into Seafield Pit yard
Photograph information Journal 127. John
John Minnis of Lens of Sutton Association stating photograph on front cover taken by Professor C.E.J. Fordyce in 1930s; and photographs on page 51 is from A.G. Ellis collection (upper) and from R.K. Blencowe collection (lower)
Tom Moffat. The Control system on the North British Railway.
Reprinted froom the Railway Magazine 1914 January. Instigated at Portobello marshalling yard and handling traffic from Lothian coalfield through to ports of Leith and Granton. Locomotives in District given large numbers. Extensive us of telephone. Map of area covered.. Special headcodes on locomotives to indicate train destinations.
John McGregor. Lechavuie Platform the landed interest and the
West Highland Railway. 37-41
Private platform between Glenfinnan and Lochailort on the West Highland Extension used to convey shooting parties hosted by Chritian Cameron-Head aznd her family. During WW2 used in cconnection with military ttraining.
Jim Summers. A couple of four wheel tender locomotives. 42-4
Model locomotives: 0-4-0 tender based on Nos. 484 and 358.
Graham Crawford. Dunbar Station in 1938 - a station
of passing interest. 45-51; rear cover
See also further information in Issue 129 page 46: Dunbar West signal box (photograph page 49) is a point of interest being a flat-roofed air raid precautions (ARP) structure
Number 129 (November 2016)
Saughton Station. front cover
1920 view of a station that seems to have been rarely photographed, See also page 51 and rear cover
Ronald W. Sinclair. The Forth Bridge bearing renewal 1946.
Photographs made available to the Group by Brian Sinclair, with the assistance of NBRSG Graham Meacher, scanned the original photographs which record the replacement of bearings on the approaches to the Forth Bridge in 1946, and associated work. The collection was passed down from Brian¡¦s father, Ronald W. Sinclair, who was Site Agent for Sir William Arrol. Arrols had been involved in the construction of the bridge from 1882-90. The collection contains a set of professional images taken by W. Ralston Ltd, Glasgow, and a set of smaller photographs taken by Ronald Sinclair himself (who is identified in images on page 3. The actual bearings are visible on page 9 .
Running Powers and Working Arrangements
Donald Cattanach. Three temporary Edinburgh stations. 22-7
Craiglockhart station built for the International Exhibition of Electrical Engineering, General Inventions and Industry held on Meggetland from 1 May to 1 November 1890, and was opened by the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh. The Exhibition site straddled the NBR's Suburban line (which was temporarily bridged over) in the area between the Union Canal and the Caledonian main line from Princes Street Station to Slateford, with the main entrance in Polwarth Terrace. The site was served both by the Caledonian, who constructed a temporary station in the exhibition grounds on a loop off the main line, just west of where it crossed over the NBR's Suburban line, and by the North British, which constructed a temporary Exhibition station at Craiglockhart. It was situated about 200 yards north of the existing Craiglockhart station (opened on 1 June 1887), immediately to the north of the tunnel under Colinton Road and the Union Canal.
The Highland and Agricultural Society's Show took place from 4 to 7 July 1899 in the grounds of Prestonfield, north of Peffermill Road and east of Dalkeith Road. Although the Show ran for only four days, the North British Railway undertook to construct a platform nearby at Cameron Toll, on its Suburban line, as well as to carry out signalling and other alterations elsewhere on the line. Access to the station was from Lady Road, between the overhead railway bridge and the Pow Burn, close to Dalkeith Road.
The Scottish National Exhibition was held in what became Saughton Park, Balgreen Road, from 1 May to 31 October1908 The plans provided for platforms on either side of the Corstorphine branch, close to where it joined the main line at Haymarket West, with another platform on the Up Fife line, immediately west of the junction, to serve trains from the west and Fife. Major Pringle inspected the works on 6 July. Balgreen Halt, on the Corstorphine branch, was opened by the LNER at the same location on 29 January 1934. It closed with effect from Monday 1 January 1968. It is now the site of the Balgreen tram stop.
Harry Knox. Railway accidents at or near Linlithgow
on the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway. 28
Accident on 4 October 1894 in which a freight train divided and the locomotive and one wagon ran for 13 miles passing 8 signal cabins, meanwhile the rear portion with the guards van was run into by a following freight train which woke the guard Major Marindin noted the lack of fog men and the long hours worked. On 6 November 1903 a collision occurred at Lochmill Sidings between a between a Caledonian express passenger train, and a NBR special goods train during an evening with heavy and drifting fog. Major Pringle investigated and found the basic cause to be lax signalling due to the presence of several unauthorised visitors in the signal box. On 19 December 1925 the 03.26 mail and newspaper express train from Edinburgh to Glasgow hauled by a right-hand drive D11/2 ran into a freight train being shunted across the line at Linlithgow. The freight train included a loaded gunpowder van, but fortunately this was not damaged. Colonel Mount found that Driver Franks of the express failed to observe signals due to excessive speed and the fireman (Redpath) was criticised for failing to give sufficient assistance. The signalman was also criticised for permitting the movement of the freight. [NB "freight" is always used in preference to "goods" as the latter is a difficult search term],
Alan Simpson. Sinclairtown Station. 34
Station was relocated in 1909 to replace the original 1847 station: the "new" station closed in 1969 due to its relative proximity to Kirkcaldy station. Photographs show the neat entrance to the new station and its platform on a modest curve and the sharply curved location of the original platforms.
Railway Servants at St. Andrews. 45
Group photograh of large station stafff on St. Andrews station platform in about 1910.
Andrew Boyd. Dunbar re-visited. 46-8
See Issue 128 page 45: note on the flat roof on Dunbar West signal box and note how an afternoon Edinburgh to Berwick all-stations service was held at Dunbar to enable the up Corornation service to overtake it. Illustrations: page from extract from the main timetable pages, showing the Monday to Saturday timings of the Coronation¦ and 3.45 p.m. Edinburgh to Berwick. and blue text on silver paper publicity material for LNER streamlind trains
Robin Boog. A new product for modellers. 49
Lining for locomotives
Saughton Station. 51; rear cover
Saughton Station in 1920, a view of a station that seems to have been rarely photographed. The rear cover is based on Ordnance Survey maps
Updated 1 December 2016