North British Railway
Study Group Journal
Newsletter until No. 18)
KEY to all Journal Issue Numbers
Issue 7 (February 1980)
The locomotive duplicate list. [7-8] (numbered 1 and 2).
In common with many other companies the :N.B.R. adopted the system of adding the letter A as a sutfix to the running number to denote engines on the duplicate list, the letter being placed under the number on both the number plate and on the front bufter beam. 'l'he first engines so done, in 1873, were No. 113, a Hawthorn 0-4-0 passenger engine of' 1847 inherited trom the Edinburgh, Perth & Dundee Railway and No. 255, a similar but even older engine from the same manufacturer supplied to the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway. 'I'here were two engines which carried the number 321; firstly a 2-2-2 well-tank built at St. Margarets in 1856 and put on the duplicate list in 1874 but withdrawn the following year, and secondly a Wheatley 0-6-0 saddle tank buiit at Cowlairs in 1874 and duplicated in 1887. 'l'he number 312, however, had both an A and a B suffix, 312A being the famous "Cab" engine inherited from the E.&G. Rly but which had originated on the Caledonian & Dumbartonshire Junction Rly as an example of the Adam's patent locomotive-and-coach built in 18?0 by Neilson & Co. With the passage of time this system of denoting engines on the duplicate list became untidy and in 1895 it was decided to adopt a new system. The eight engines put on the duplicate list in that year (Nos. 211-18, outside framed 2-2-2s by Beyer Peacock for the E.& G. Rly) were renumbered 801-8, and the seventy four engines still in existance on the A list were renumbered 809-882, though not in any special order. In 1896 a further nine engines were added and six more in both 1897 and 1899 by which time the highest number in use was 903..
By 1899, however, the numbers required for engines on the capital list, in spite of filling vacant numbers lower down, were approaching the eight hundreds. Plans for the completion of the order for Holmes ' 0-6-0s (later L.N.E. class J36 ), a further six engines of the 729 class (D31) and 40 0-6-0 tanks (J83) to be built in 1900/1 would require running numbers up to 834, and so it was decided in 1901 that the entire duplicate list should be renumbered by the addition of 200 to the existing number so Nos 801-903 became Nos 1001-1103. 'l'hirteen engines numbered in the 800s had, however, been scrapped in tbe meantime and there is no evidence to show that a further 18 engines were ever actually rentunbered in the 1000s. After 1901, there:fore, all engines put on the duplicate list were numbered in the 1000s. While the numbers in the 800s were never used. for more than one engine, it was the practice between 1901 and 1910 to re-use lower numbers as these became vacant; thereafter it seems the idea was abandoned and numbers were allocated in continuous order. Between 1903 and 1922 a total of' 451 engines were put on the duplicate list, but about ten of these appear to have been scrapped before actually being renumbered. One engine, acquired in 1915, was put directly onto the duplicate list and in 1923 the North British handed over to the L.N.E.R. a total of 1074 steam engines, of which those on the capital list were numbered oetween 1 and 926 and those on the duplicate list (200 engines) between 1011 and 1471.
While it was the usual practice to transfer an engine to the duplicate list when it had been written off in the accountants' books, there were some glaring exceptions to this rule in the case of the 0-4-0 saddle tanks (later class Y9). Eighteen of these engines, varying between 5 and 18 years old, were put on the duplicate list between 1896 and 1899 to clear certain numbers on the capital list. Eleven of these now vacant numbers were subsequently filled by newer engines of exactly the same class, and in one case the replacement Y9 was scrapped by British Railways before the one which had been put on the duplicate list to free the number.
Most engines' on the duplicate list had the pre-Wheatley type of number plate which was cast brass with raised polished letters and numerals against a black background. Some numbered below 1122, however, had the Drummond type in which the letters and numerals were cut out and filled with black wax, thus reversing the contrast. In both cases the lettering was simple in outline but the numerals were heavily serifed. C.J.B.S.
Further details on the renumbering of N.B. engines can be found in Locomotives of the North British Railway 1846-1882, published by the Stephenson Locomotive Society.
Issue 9 (September 1980)
Graham Dick. Leith Central station. 5 + drawing (side elevation)
Opened July 1903. Closed 1952. Train services, mainly suburban, but included the 13.20 train to Glasgow which included a Pullman car. Drawing of signal box on a separate page.
Issue 11 (July/August 1981)
Rumbling Bridge station viewed from north. front cover
1952 photograph by C.J.B. Sanderson
Bill Lynn. The saturated 4-4-2 tanks (Class M) of the NBR (L.N.E.R.
Class C15). 4-5
The drivers had to stand as the side tanks intruded into the cab and the front sanders were worked off the Westinghouse pump, but were liable to fail. The resar sanders were gravity driven
[Photographs: Class M]. 6
No. 25 at North Berwick; No. 134 on long suburban train at Portobello East Junction; No. 141 on long suburban train at Portobello East Junction. Additional information from John Smith Index in Issue No. 40
Book Reviews. 29-
The railways of Fife. William Scott Bruce. Perth: Melven Press.
Reviewed by G.A. Lyall. 29-30
Some errors noted
The railway navvies. Terry Coleman. Penguin. Reviewed by K.J. Fairweather. 30-
Steam supreme. R.D. Stephen. Truro: Bradford Barton. Reviewed by Rich Heard. 31
Border Country branch line album. Neil Caplan. Ian Allan. Reviewed by C.J.B. Sanderson. 31-2
Issue 12 (December 1981)
William M. Shaw. After you've gone away. 23-4.
Words of old song prompted contribution on the need to ensure that when you die instructions are left for widow, children and other concerning one's treasured possessions which may be of use to someone else: writer had been sorting out records of A.G. Thomas who had published literature on the liveries of private owners' wagons: now housed with Historical Model Railwway Society
Issue 14 (August 1982)
Tom Mann. Lochend Junction signal box. 5-11
On Abbeyhill Piershill loop line and controlled junction to leith Central. Includes elevations (side and rear), plans, routes served and signal diagrams
Alan G. Dunbar. The North British Railway 0-6-0
locomotives serving in France 1914-1918. 12
All left for France in October/November 1917 and returned brtween April and July 1919, Lists names bestowed on them: notes that Rheims became Reims. All were repaired before repaired at Cpwlairs before entering service,
East Coast Joint Stock carriages. 13-14
Material extracted from Great Northern locomotive engineers by F.A.S. Brown
Locomotive sightings in 1925. T.M. Findlater
The late Findlater's notebooks were in the posession of Alan G. Dunbar. They were written in pencil: some of the entries are in red pencils, but the reason for this is not known. The numbers are quoted in LNER prefix (9 or 10) form and by LNER class. The lists are for Eastfield, Kipps and Parkhead sheds on 21 March 1925; Dundee, Thornton, Polmont and Perth on 4 July 1925
Issue 16 (April 1983)
A.G. Ellis [obituary]. 5
George Ellis was a professional engineer and a native odf Milngavie. For a time he worked for the North British Locomotive Co., but got out in time.
The L.N.E.R. Clyde steamer service - 3. 28-
Journal Number 18 (December 1983)
Class J 4-4-0 No. 359 Dirk Hatterick on Lothian Coast Express at North Berwick c1913. front cover
[Holmes 7-ft 4-4-0 locomtives]. 13
top and middle: No. 602 with Prince of Wales feathers on leading splasher
lower: No. 594 with crown on leading splasher: see also letter in Issue 81 pages 29-30
David Blevins. Locomotive superintendentsof the North
British Railway and the liveries applied to thelocomotives during their
Replaced by material by same author in Journal No. 23 page 19 et seq
Journal Number 19 (April 1984)
Tom Mann. London Road signal box. 7
Near Abbeyhill, Edinburgh. Diagrams: side elevation and plan, signalling diagrams
A.R. Miller. The other divers. 13-17
A.A. Maclean. Block trains of the North British Railway Company.
Introduced in the summer of 1906; designed by W.P. Reid. Vestibuled corridor trains for Glasgow and Edinburgh to Aberdeen services. Fitted with electric lighting and British Standard type gangways and pressed steel underframes with wooden bodies. Side elevations and plans. The passennger vehicles were 62 feet long and the luggage vans 52 feet
The last of the Dandies in England. 25-6
From Locomotive Mag., 1914 (May), 129-32 North British Railway horse-drawn Dandy cars on Port Carlisle branch,
P.T. Collar. Fact or fiction? 27-8
Niall R. Ferguson. Roslin Mills Tunnel (Penicuik branch). 29
Corrugated iron tunnel adjacent to Rolsin Gunpowder Mill.