North British Railway Study
Group Journal Nos. 60-79
Key to all Issue Numbers
Issue No. 60 (September 1995)
NBR 0-6-0T No. 161 with passenger train at Wemyss Castle. front cover
Andrew Munro. The Railways of Wemyss. 4-12
The Thornton & Leven Railway opened in 1854. Coal mining was the main activity and was in the hands of the Wemyss family, notably Randolph Wemyss who sought to develop the export fascilities at Burntisland, Buckhaven and Methil and new and improved pits. He was also a model landlord and provided housing and an electric tramway which connected onto the Kirkcaldy system. The Wemyss Private Railway was a notable feature of railways in the area. The branch line to Michael Colliery was a relatvely late development to a very large colliery which was forced to close following a major underground fire on 9 September 1967.
G.W.M. Sewell. Observations on the design of North British coaches
- Part 10. Dining cars. 13-19
Reid designed six-wheel cars with compartment accommodation into which meals were served from a kitchen (diagram: elevation and plan); also the post WW2 Craven vehicles. Brief mention is made of the bought in vehicles
4-4-0T No. 1464. 19
Allocated to Kipps: date probably post-WW1
Bill Inglis-Taylor, 7mm news. 22-3.
Brake van and pulley wagon models
Letters Received. 25
Bouch bridge at Montrose. 26
Photograph from newspaper of contractor's train on Bouch viaduct at Montrose which was not santioned for opening. See also Issue 61 page 8 et seq
Video Review- The Invergarry & Fort Augustus Railway. Bill Rear. 26
Book Reviews. 26
Riccarton Junction. Christopher Milligan. Author.
The Scottish 4-4-0: its place in railway history. Tom Middlemas
Euan Cameron. Announcing The development of the North
British passenger locomotive in the Victorian era: drawings and commentary.
Prospectus for proposed book, profits from which to have gone to a Ugandan charity based in Gosforth: see Issue 61 for sample illustrations
Issue No. 61 (December 1996)
A down working between Stobs and Hawick. front cover
John Adams. North British Railway Reid third bogie brake coach model'.
! : 12 scale model which may have been displayed in a glass case at Waverley station was sold at Collectors Corner to a Canadian architect. The model came into the possession of the author of the article who brought it back to Glasgow and the Springburn Museum who had established that it had been built by David Barrie Mann. Photograph of model.
Euan Cameron. The development of the North British
passenger locomotive in the Victorian era: drawings and commentary.
See alos Issue 60 page 27 (sample illustratuions for proposed book)
Jim Greenhill, N.B. Railway 'One Man Bands' 1866. 8
Borders Regional Library of Rutherford's The Southern Counties Register and Directory of 1866. Hints at the demands placed upon station masters at that time when they were responsible for handling mail
John Rapley The South Esk Viaduct at Montrosc.
See also Issue 60 page 26: original strucuture was very unsatisfactory. William, son of Thomas Bouch was the engineer and Gilkes supplied the ironwork: all had to be replaced by Arrol
Ken Falconer Return to Edinburgh, 11-15.
Edinburgh & Dalkeith Railway opened in 1831. Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway opened to Haymarket in 1842 and extended through Princes Street Gardens to connect with the line from Berwick which hed been open for a few months. Canal Street station opened in 1847 and provided trains to Leith and Granton via Scotland Street Tunnel. The opening of the Edinburgh Suburban Railway in 1884 and the Forth Bridge in 1890 forced major redevelopment to provide four tracks through the City with Waverley becoming a huge island platform. The major train services are described including those over the Waverley route. The southward services have remained the premier attraction and used to be hauled by Pacifics. Colour light signalling came in the late 1930s. Author makes much of views from Jacob's Ladder for views of Waverley (KPJ has missed something there: it is only in the past fifteen years that he became aware of the variety of pedestrian exits at the eastern end when staying in the Willowbank area).
Ken Falconer. Barclay 0-4-0ST. N.B.R. No.1250. 16.
Probably WN 252 supplied to John Browns in 1883 and passed to J. Finlayson of Airdrie in 1914 for scrap, but WW1 demands led to it being acquired by the NBR gave it No. 927 who lent it to the Highland Railway. In 1921 it was returned to the NBR, worked briefly at Eastfield before being scrapped. Diagram.
G.W.M. Sewell. Observations on the design of North British coaches
- Part 11. Saloons. 17-25.
Third class vehicles for day trips; first class for conveying rich and "important" people and their families en vacance; invalid saloons; the directors' saloon, six-wheel, eight wheel and bogie. Six diagrams (elevations and plans)
Bill Inglis-Taylor. 7mm news. 26
Book rerview. 26
Don Martin. The Monkland and Kirkintillock and associated railways. Strathkelvin District Libraries. 165pp.
Alan Simpson. Two extracts regarding the lifting of the Fort Augustus
Scottish Region official notices relating to working of line during its dismantling by Motherwell Machinery & Scrap Co. in 1949.
No. 62411 Lady of Avenill (Scott class). 27.
location Haymarket shed: see Issue 81 page 29. 27
Issue No. 62 (March 1996)
Nos. 9870 and 9420 on 17.45 from Aberdeen in 1928. front cover
Obituary - Robin Barr 27th December 199i5. 3
Part owner and officer of PS Waverley
A.A. Maclean. Bogie composite invalid saloon, Diagram 152. 4-7,
Built in 1920.; rrelatively frequently exhibited prior to 1939. Eventually acquired by Scottish Railway Oreservation Society and extant.
Tom Mann. Waverley Station workings Part 1. June 1960. 8-16
Times and whether steam or diesel
G.W. Hewit. Boats and trains. 16-17
Experiments on the Forth & Clyde Canal to assess the haulage of passenger carrying boas by locomotives in 1839. John Macneill supervised the tests and Lish and Robert and William Dodds were involved. The Monkland & Kirkintilloch locomotive Victoria was probably used. Speeds of 17 mile/h were attained and it was possible to tow several vessels. The wash against the banks of the canal was detrimental.
Scott 4-4-0 No. 425 Kettledrummie facing No. 425 Glen Gau.
Harry Townley. 17
See Issue No. 81 page 29: not Glen Gau as stated, but an Intermediate very proably No. 892: location is Haymarket
John McGregor. The Banavie branch. 18-19.
How the relatively simple Banavie branch built to link the West Highland Railway with the Caledonian Canal at the top of the Neptune Staircase flight of locks was the cause of difficulties when the Mallaig Extension was being promoted.
Alan Simpson. Coal mining statistics (East & Mid Lothian 1920).
Taken from the HMSO annual publication List of Mines: extracts for Haddingtonshire an Edinburghshire. Data includes numbers employed above ground and underground. Some of the companies also owned mines in Lanarkshire and these are listed
Alan Simpson. Braeside Halt. 22
Charlestown branch: timetable for 1922 shows poassenger services
Bill Inglis-Taylor. 7mm news. 23-5
Kit for D class 0-6-0T Class J83 and for a 10-ton hand crane: latter includes several diagram.
George Heathcote. The Scotland Street Tunnel. 26.
Exploration when tunnel was used for mushroom cultivation and participants warned about presence of rats
Issue No. 63 (June 1996)
From the Chairman I Comment.
Bill Rear. Edinburgh to Berwick in 1847. 4-6
Timetable for September 1847 reproduced. Includes fares and trains on Haddington and "Hawick" [Dalkeith] branches
G.W. Hewit. The first locomotives on the North British
On Thursday l8 June 1846, four engines coupled together drew a train of twelve carriages out of North Bridge Station, the station that in later years would be called Waverley, taking the guests of the North British Railway Company on a trip to mark the opening of their railway linking Berwick and Edinburgh. However it would take more than a year before the Newcastle & Berwick Railway completed the link from Newcastle to Tweedmouth that, apart from the then unbridged Tyne and Tweed, marked the completion of the East Coast main line between Edinburgh and London'. The first train was followed by another of twenty two carriages hauled by five locomotives. Both stopped at Dunbar where the first train picked up a further twel ve carriages. The two trains then travelled on to Berwick-upon-Tweed and then back to Dunbar where the 700 guests of the Company dined in the heat of that summers day. Thus the North British Railway opened for business and from this humble beginning it grew to be the largest railway company in Scotland and, by 1923 when it was merged into the London & North Eastern Railway, it dominated the Borders, Lothian and Fife, reached into the West Highlands and spanned the two large East coast estuaries.
Many newspapers marked this significant step in the railway system of Great Britain with detailed reports, however none mentioned anything about the locomotives themselves. To find out about them, we must look elsewhere. The discovery in the Newcastle upon Tyne Library by our esteemed secretary, Mr W Marshall Shaw, of a pack of drawings depicting the last engine of the NBRs first batch of engines, No. 26, and the discovery of the notes that go with them, gives us a new insight into these locomotives.
On 21 August 1844, the NBR Board of Directors was advised by their engineer, John Millar of the noted Scottish railway consultants of Grainger and Millar, of an offer for twenty-six locomotives from the Newcastle-upon-Tyne company of R&W Hawthorn to be the motive power for the opening of the line. Grainger and Millar had been the engineering advisors to a number of Scottish railway compa- nies, although the two partners, Thomas Grainger and John Millar, always worked on separate projects. Millar was the engineer on, amongst others, the Edinburgh & Northern and the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railways both of whom had orders either accepted or recently fulfilled by Hawthorns" Millar probably chose this manufacturer rather any of the myriad of Scottish companies as the size of the order was beyond the capacity of these more local concerns. The offer was for an 0-4-2 type of engine which was or would be in service with both the other lines by whom he was retained however the E&GR engines were of an earlier design. Hawthorns quoted a fixed price of £1,650 for each locomotive and tender, a low price because of the depressed state of the economy at this time. It was to be paid in four equal tranches of £10,725 and the first payment was made on the 4 April 1845 and this payment appeared in the half yearly shareholders report in 31 July 1845. The Directors sanctioned another payment equal to the first on 27 August 1845 and another was paid on the 4 February 1846. However after then, the increasingly perilous state of the NBR's financial position meant that payments became smaller and more sporadic. The ordering of more R&W Hawthorn engines also confuses the payment schedules but obviously the problems compounded and, by 11 May 1846, a list of shareholders included Robert Hawthorn, Engineer, Newcastle. He had 70 Shares numbered 691-760 and valued at £875. The acceptance of shares in lieu of payments became a feature of the financial dealings that both R&W Hawthorns and Hawthorns of Leith were to have with the Scottish railway companies, whether this was a sound business practice is open to question.
Unfortunately, a fire at the Hawthorns works in 1852 resulted in the loss of some of the records up to this point. This, combined with the practice of swapping engines ordered by one company to another with a higher priority, means that it is virtually impossible now to reconstruct the early deliveries with accuracy.
The NBR order was for sixteen passenger engines and ten goods engines, the passenger engines having 5ft and the similar goods engines having 4ft 6in diameter coupled wheels. These sizes are broadly confirmed by the Cowlairs 1867 list although by this time several of both types had been substantially rebuilt. One reconstructed Hawthorn list shows the following orders for the NBR:
|Works Nos.||Date of Order||By Whom||For Whom||Type|
Works numbers 382-387 were completed well before the NBR needed them
and, in a period where there was a great demand for locomotives, they were
reallocated to a number ofcompanies. Of the next batch, works number 400
was sent to a railway contractor. This engine may have been the one referred
to in the NBR Minute Book by a note dated l Oth February 1846 stating that"As
to the engine wanted at Berwick, instructions were given to desire Messrs
Hawthorn & Co. to forward a Locomotive as soon as possible to Berwick'.
Works number 402 and 406 were sent to other railway companies making works numbers 397 to 399,401,405,407 and 408 as the most likely identities of the first seven NBR engines. Works numbers 409 to 418 are assumed to have been assigned to the goods engines and the Newcastle drawing shows the works number 418 on NBR No. 26 which may serve to confirm this analysis. However a note on the Hawthorn Order book records thattwo engines of this batch, 416 and 417, were sent to the E&GR and two new locomotives built to replace them. These are marked in the list as works numbers 513 and 5143 . No 418 is also noted as being redirected, it may have been replaced by No 510. Some sources claim that two 0-4-2's that were originally destined for the Midland Railway went to the NBR
However, in all tills substituting one engine for another, there is a mass of evidence showing that this happened before the engine was manufactured and erected rather than than after. Although the orders for NBR and ENR 0-4-2 engines, which had different specifications, were mixed, NBR specification engines went to the NBR and ENR engines went to the ENR. TIle table gives the delivery and replacement dates along with a the renumberings which the engines underwent. The works numbers listed are a best guess for the reasons listed above.
|21||1845||21A (1885) 843 (1895) 1043b||414||1899|
a Sold to Jas. Gow for £550.
b Allocated but not carried.
c Sold to the Hull & Holderness Railway, later became NER No. 416.
At the Half Yearly Directors' Meeting on 17th February 1846, the Chairman, John Leannouth, reported that "The Locomotive engines, Carriages and Other plant are in an ad- vanced state of preparation. Several of the former are already delivered and a large number of Carriages are ready to be so." The Evening Courant newspaper reported in May 1845 that the first engine had been delivered and the balance of the engines would arrive in this and the following year although newspa- per may have been mistaken into thinking that the engine seen was the first as the other engines delivered up to this date were at work on the E&GR. At least five" of the first engines delivered to the NBR were hired out to the E&GR who had a severe shortage of locomotives and had been censured by a Judge the year before for their lack of engines
In July 1857, Hurst wrote to the Locomotive Committee listing "the Nos. of such engines I think could be best spared in the meantime and most profitably replaced by others better adapted to the work at which they are currently employed." The Hawthorn engines he listed were (all had 14 inch cylinders and cost £1650):
|Engine No.||Condition||Approx. Value|
Although the Locomotive Committee agreed to recommend to the Board of Directors the replacement of all these engines at the earliest opportunity, no record of the Board's reaction to the list survives and there is little correlation to the numbers listed and the subsequent fate of the locomotives5.
Even by the early 1850s, the design defects of these engines were causing problems in the operation of the railway and some were sent outto contractors to be repaired as the NBR' s small workshop at St Margarets was swamped. NBR Nos. 8, 10 and 12 went to R Stephensons & Co. for heavy repairs, so heavy that they are marked as rebuilds in the Cowlairs 1867 list and returned to service in December 1855, November 1855 and February 1856 respectively. NBR Nos. 21 and 26 were sent to the GNR at Doncaster in 1855 and Nos. 18 and 23 went to R&W Hawthoms for similar services, both returning to traffic in October 1855.
As will be explained in the technical section, extensive rebuilding of these locomotives was needed to give these engines an economic life. Details of all the known rebuilds of these locomotives is given in the following (all were at St Margarets unless stated otherwise):
No. 10 rebuilt with new boiler by R. Stephenson & Co. in 1855
No. 7 rebuilt as an 0-4-2T in February 1856 but appears in the 1867 Cowlairs list with no indication that it was a tank engine, however this is not the only engine that we know is a tank and is not marked in this list.
No. 12 rebuilt as 2-2-2 wheelbase 7ft 6in + 7ft 6in by R. Stephenson & Co. in February 1856
No. 15 rebuilt as 2-2-2 with 3ft 6in, 5ft 6in, 3ft 6in wheels. wheelbase 7ft 5in + 7ft 8in, and 14 x 21in cylinders in 1856
No. 24 converted to coal burning. in March 1856
No. 5 rebuilt with 7ft 2in + 7ft 2in wheelbase in 1858
No. 24 rebuilt as 2-2-2 with 3ft 7in, 5ft 6in, 3ft 7in wheels. wheelbase 7ft 5in + 7ft 5in, cylinders 14½ x 21in in 1859 or June 1858
Nos, 17, 18 and 19 possibly rebuilt with 5ft driving wheels. (No. 19 with a wheelbase 7' 1" + 7' 1")
No. 23 rebuilt with 5ft driving wheels. in 1865
No. 24 re4built with 14½ x 21in cylinders and new boiler in January 1868
Nos. 19 in December 1868 and 21 in May 1869 rebuilt as 0-6-0 saddle tanks. at Cowlairs
In February 1869, NBR No. 17 which was completely stripped down at Cowlairs and many parts of it were used in what was regarded by the NBR as a new engine. It emerged as an 0-6-0 tender locomotive with 4ft 6in coupled wheels, 16½' x 24 in cylinders and a Wheatley boiler. In this guise it lasted until December 1914 having been renumbered 17a in 1890, 818 in 1895 and 1018 in 1901.
Cylinders and Valves
'The size ofthe pistons have been coy red before, the pistons had two cast iron rings for packing whi h wer adju table by a movable wedge that could force the rings into a tight fit to th cylinder.
111e valves were mounted between the cylinder and were actuated from eccentrics on the leading driving wheel axle. The valve, at least on BR No. 26 as depicted in the Newcastle drawings, were Hawthorn parent expansion type. TIle builders plate confirms this, saying "Hawthorn Patent Expansion Valve 1843 (9691/ 7 April 1843). D K Clark is critical of this design, saying "The experience of this valve on the North British Railway where it has been extensively employed, has shown that the lower valve, always in motion, generally wore itself out of contact with the upper, to the extent of 1/16 inch the course of a year or two, which was certainly sufficient to neutralise any attempt at economical expansion working. In but one locomotive on that railway, a 6-foot wheel express, under the care of a first class driver, the valves remained in tolerably good order for three years, at the end of which period they had parted about 1/32:n inch," In 1848, the E&GR bought six 2-2-2s from Hawthorn which were fitted with this design of valves and Paton, the Locomotive Superintendent, reported that they were heavy on coke and he replaced the motion and valves with a link motion as soon as possible.
By the end of 1873 all of these engines that had not been rebuilt had been sold or scrapped. Their short lives reflected their aim to be modern at the time, but pushed the design to its limits. In that light they gave good service, their bad name stemmed more from the inabiliity of the NBR board to appoint, respect and fund competent Locomotive Superintendents than their inherent faults.
I would like to thank both Marshall Shaw and Dr Ewan Cameron for their comments on the draft of this docwnent, however the opinions are my own. I am also indebted to Mr D Martin of the Kirkitilloch Library for the access to the McEwan Collection and permission to use the photograph of No. 17.
The Minutes of the Board of Directors of the NBR
The Minutes of theLocomotive Committee of the NBR
List of Locamotives, Cowlairs 1867
The Locomotives of the North British Railway E Craven
The Locomotives of the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway E Craven
The Locomotives of the Edinburgh, Perth & Dundee Railway E Craven
The R&W Hawthorn Order Book (Two Versions)
The Papers of J F McEwan
Engineer and Machinists Assistant Scott 1844
Railway Machinery D K CIark 1850
Locomotives of the Great Northern Railway VoL 1N Groves RCTS
Reports to the Board of Trade on the Accidents on the Railways
The Newcastle to Berwick link was opened for traffic on 1 July 1847, the High bevel Bridge over the Tyne at Newcastle began operating on 15 August 1849 and the Royal Border Bridge over the Tweed at Berwick opened to freight passage on 20 July 1850 and for passenger traffic on 29 August 1851.
There is sometimes confusion between R&W Hawthorn at Newcastle and Hawthorns of Leith: the E&NR once paid the wrong company! The Leith based company, Hawthorns of Leith, was set up in 1846 by R&W Hawthorns of Newcastle to erect locomotives from parts supplied by the Newcastle facility. The company was, until the mid 1850s, a wholly owned subsidiary of R & W Hawthorns, All references to Hawthorns in this article refer to the Newcastle-upon-Tyne factory.
The NBR eventually took these engines into it's inventory when the E&GR and the NBR amalgamated in 1865. In the E&GR they were called "Tregold" and "Panbour" respectively, being numbered '27 and 28 in 1849 when numbering was adopted on the E&GR. They became NBR Nos. 257 and 258.
NBR Nos. 1-4 and No. 7_
Also on this list was NBR No. 55, the Crampton locomotive. Marked as in "good" condition and worth £1,000 out of the £2,800 paid for her only seven years before, she survived, albeit heavily rebuilt on four occasions, until 1901.
The diameter over the ranges was 3ft 2in, the diameter at the contact of the rail was 3ft which may account for the different diameters in various records. The Cowlairs l867 list gives 3ft.
Bury engines amongst others had a lever that only gave a 5:1 magnification which resulted in a wider valve. These wider valves gave a better performance in relieving the excess pressure than the Hawthorn design.
At this time there were two types of feed pump in common usage, the short action pumps were driven by eccentrics on the axles, the long action pumps being driven from the crosshead.
The Patent was No. 9691 and dated 7 April 1843
Bruce Murray. North British Railway Locomotives Nos.
Diagrams drawn by Bruce Murray in April 1996 to show how Nos. 17 to 26 appeared when built in 1846 by R. & W. Hawthorn of Newcastle: side, front & rear elevations and plan
Bill Rear. Waverley to Marshall Meadows. 16.
Schematic side-strips showing gradient profiles and track layouts following a style adopted by LMS and presumably applied by new Scottish Region
The Locomotive. Centenary of the Edinburgh· Berwick Line,
Locomotive Mag., 15 August 1946.
Archie Noble. Working on the railroad. 18-19.
Originally published in Borders Family History Society Magazine: deaths and injuries endured by workforce engaged on constructing the Galashiels section of Borders main line
LNER Scottish Area Main Line Passenger Engine Workings 1947
Tom Mann. Waverley Station workings Part Il. 24
G.W.M. Sewell. Observations on the design of North British coaches, Part 12A.
Book Review. 32
Don Martin. The Monkland & Kirkintilloch and associated railways. Strathkelvin District Libraries and Museums. 1995. 132 pp.
As remarked in another recently published book on Scottish Railways, Sassenachs and others will look in vain for the Monklands area on any normal map of Scotland, yet this large, extensive industrial area occupies the greater part of the Scottish Central belt between Glasgow and Edinburgh, lying north of the M.8 Motorway and south of the Forth & Clyde Canal. It was an area rich in minerals: Coal, Canoel Coal, Iron Ore, Fireclay and Limestone, and the extraction, processing and transporting of these materials was to prove a lucrative source of traffic for the Monklands Railway and subsequently the North British Railway and its successors. But while the railways form the basis of this book, the author has conducted extensive research into all aspects of the area and the industries it supported, and gives a detailed, lucid and comprehensive account of its development, from the early days of horse drawn tramways, through the boom years of the Industrial Revolution and the subsequent decline in latter years, the inevitable machinations of the politics of building and extending the railway, and the social, economic and hwnanitarian side of things.
Originally worked by horse power, the Monkland & Kirkintilloch Railway was one of the earliest of Scottish Railways, the first to operate successfully by using the steam locomotive, and the first to design its own locomotives, which were built by a Glasgow firm, Murdoch & Aitken, the first Scottish built locomotives. The M.& K.R. worked closely with its neighbours, the Slanannan and the Ballochney Railways, eventually amalgamating with them in 1848, the combined company being knownas the Monklands Railway. In 1865, the Monkland Railway amalgamated briefly with its neighbour, the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway only months before the combined railways became part of the North British Railway and contributing some 130 locomotives, of 'many types in various conditions of repair, to the enlarged N.B.R.
The author, Don Martin, has spent many years painstakingly researching every aspect of these lines and published a small booklet on the subject as long ago as 1976, since when considerably more information has cone to light and is now presented in the book under review. The fact that some 271 reference sources are quoted indicates the depth of research carried out.
Understandably, there is a paucity of photographs of the early days of the development of the Monkland Railway, although four locomotives are depicted, albeit in N.B.R. days, but the reviewer would have preferred to have seen the likes of an Ordnance Survey map used in preference to the sketch maps featured, to define the areas geographically. These reservations apart, the reviewer has no hesitation in recorrunending this work to all who are interested in Scottish Railways development and history, and in particular those that became an integral part of the North British Railway. And at this price, well worth adding to your library shelf, for future reference, particularly as it is hoped to publish shortly, in your Joumal, full details of the locomotive stock of the Monklands Railway. W.M.S.
Modern Transport. Edinburgh as a Railway Centre (1938)
Gordon Hewit. How Long .... ? 38-9.
Issue No. 65 (December 1996)
The Devon Valley Railway. 4
This railway was authorised in 1858 to connect the Tillycoultry station of the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway with the Fife and Kinross Railway at Hopefield.
The first sod of the railway was cut by Mrs. Adam of Blairadam on Saturday 4th August 1860 in a field to the south of Rumbling Bridge. The weather was claimed to be fine and about 1400 spectators viewed the event. The first portion (Kinross to Rumbling Bridge) opened on 1 May 1863 with W.P. Adam of Blairadam presiding, and the line ultimately amalgamated with the North British Railway from 1 January 1875.
It was noted in the LNER Magazine for January 1928 that the parents of Miss E. McLellan, the crossing keeper were the first to occupy the cottage at Tullibole Level Crossing, between Balado and Crook of Devon, her mother being the first crossing keeper. A sister had charge of the gates for a year after her mother died, but since then, Miss McLellan had been in charge. She had at that time held the post for some 48 years and claimed to be the longest serving member of the staff of the Devon Valley Railway still employed on the line .
Celebrities and the Union Canal. 4.
The Union Canal was originally independent, opening to traffic in 1822, and in time amalgamated with the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway before passing into North British Railway control in 1865. During its construction, one of many Irish labourers employed was a Mr. William Burke, who latterly became the principal partner of the erstwhile flourishing firm of Messrs Burke and Hare, whose ferocious murders and ghoulish bodysnatching trade startled the country until the rather sudden demise of the former in 1829.
In later years, the canal was responsible for the demise of George Meikle Kemp, the designer of the 180 feet high Scott Monument. Kemp, described by some as a young 'country joiner' and a 'self taught architect' is believed to have lost his footing in a' fog when returning from a visit to a building contractor on 6 March 1844, slipped in and was drowned.
Alan Dunbar and Sandy Maclean. Problems with the Halbeath and
Townhill Tramways. 5-6.
Railway or tramway projected in 1781 and opened in 1783 to connect Halbeath Colliery with Inverkeithing Harbour. Owned by the English brothers Lloyd who resided in Amsterdam. It was originally laid with timber, but this was replaced by iron rails in about 1811. In 1841 a junction was made at Guttergates for a branch to Townhill Collieries. In 1845 agreement had to be reached with the Edinburgh and Perth Railway for a crossing of the two lines, but eventually expensive litigation ensued. Coal ceased to be shipped at Inverkeithing in 1867..
Slamannan Railway lines. 6
Authorised in 1835 to construct a railway from Arbuckle on the Ballochney Railway to Causewayend on the Union Canal. The 4ft 6in gauge line opened on 5 August 1840. It was converted to standard gauge in 1847 and eventually became a part of the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway.
Motive power depot layouts (1951). 7
SIgnalling plan - Corstorphine. 8
Signalling aspects. 9
Photographs with extended captuons of NBR slotting mechanism for dual controlled arms, and of NBR version of Stevens Mechanical Ground Signal.
Polmont engine shed buildings. 10.
Three photographs from 1962/3..
Sandy Maclean. Polmont engine shed (1915-1964). 11-15
Only accessible by rail; not by road and on foot from the Union Canal.. Locomotive water did not come from the canal, but from the local authority at Buckieburn. Lists locomotive typoes allocated there and the location of sub-depots at Kinneil near Bo'ness (the main one) and at Falkirk Grahamstown, Falkirk High and Causewayend.
Polmont depot memories. 15.
Joseph Allison, Chief Clerk at Polmont retired in 1962. He started work at Bo'ness Junction (Manuel) and moved to Polmont in 1916.
Polmont locomotives. 16
Photographs of Y9 No, 68104 with J88 No. 68359; J37 No. 64551 (with original NBR safety valves, and No. 68104 with depot tool van proceeding at speed to derailment.
The North British Railway and the Great War. 17-19
The East Coast was considered vulnerable to invasion and an armoured train patrolled it and on occasion the Firth of Clyde. Staff on the armoured train andon railway telegraph systems were members of the Railway Staff Corps so that should they have to encounter the enemy they would be regarded as soldiers. Traffic was extensive to the many training centres located on the NBR system. Navl traffic was heavy especially from Rosyth and from Port Edgar on the southern shore of the Firth of Forth. Between 21ay 1917 and 30 April 1919 naval leave specials between Tturso and Euston traversed the NBR route between Perth and Carlisle which required double-heading on the Waverley route.Very heavy naval leave traffic was conveyed in December 1918 when the entire Grand Fleet was granted twelve days leave. The NBR Ambulance Train transgressed certain military requirements. Hammocks rather than fixed beds, and it was not acceptable for travel over the South Eastern & Chatham to Dover. It spent most of its time operating between Port Edgar and Wemyss Bay.
Burntisland works and locomotive shed. 20.
Richard Hollingworth. Burntisland and
Burntisland developed as the ferry terminal for steamer services to Granton. The first railway proposal envisaged a line to Dunfermline using existing wagonways, but agreement with the Burgh could not be obtained, but the Edinburgh and Northern Railway was more successful in obtaining an Act for lines to Perth and to Tayport. A locomotive roundhouse was constructed at Burntisland and some locomotives were built there.Edinburgh, Perth & Dundee Railway, Brief notes on Driver Peter Isles who was attracted from the Dundee & Arbroath Railway to serve at Burntisland. He was the last to cross the old Tay Bridge (and survive) and drove the first northbound train over the Forth Bridge. On 14 April 1914 ther was a serious collision between an express freight train being shunted and a sleeper express. Coal exports were shifted to Methil and the locomotive depot was diminished in importance due to the opening of a new depot at Thornton Junction.
Burntisland railway photo album. 25
Station at Burntisland Pier; facade of impressive Burntiisland passenger station; cast iron urinal in dock area.
The East of Fife Railway (1965). 26
Photographs of Kilconquhar (platform, barow and signal box); St. Monance and Anstruther
A.G. Dunbar. A note on the East of Fife Railway. 27
The section from Leven to Anstruther was authorised in 1861 and reached St Andrews in 1887. It was closed in 1966.
A North British personality. 28
Driver George Wilkie of Burntisland lived to be 100: he was interviewed fot the British Railways Magazine by The Chiel, presumably Norman McKillop. He had driven Drummond 0-6-0 No. 555 and remembered Driver Mitchell and Fireman John Marshall, lost in the Tay Bridge disatster and Sir Thomas Bouch coming off the ferry on 28 December 1879.
Sandy Maclean. NBR close coupled stock proposals. 29-30
In 1912 consideration was given to the intoduction of close coupled sets for branch lines and bogie, six-wheel and four wheel configurations were considered. The compartment widths were generous compared with those actually emplyed on Great Nortern and Great Eastern rolling stock. Gas lighting waas proposed. The proposals remained unfulfilled.
'the new gas light' (from the Railway Times, 24 May 1879). 30
Pintsch system using oil gas developed as a by-product of shale oil processing and employed by the Metropolitan and Great Eastern Railways.
Coaching cavalcade. 31
Page missing from scanned copy
Wagon photo-call, 32
Polmont Depot Tool Van DE971516 converted from TKL 31724 in 1946; square NBR tar tank wagon operated by Scottish Tar Distillers in Polmont Yard; Scottish Fish Meal Marketing Co. steel open wagon registered by LMS, but on Roughcastle branch.
Sandy Maclean. Goods wagon miscellany. 33-36
Vehicle type requirements: coal could require end, side or hopper dsicharge or combinations of these. Coke demanded high capacity. Some loads demanded ventilation, refrigeration or protection from mishandling. Statistics of vehicle types. Operating restrictions included adequate braking. Goods marshalling yards. Wagon workshops and agreement with private wagon builders, such as Hurst Nelson, to repair wagons after WW1. . Couplings and buffers. Spring buffers mandatory from 1911/14. Axleboxes and springs. Liveries. Quatrefoil illiteracy mark. Wagon diagram books.North British followed a loose-leaf format. Southern Scottish Area (LNER) Wagon Diagram Book. In 1936 Hollerith Punch Card system introduced
North British Variorem (2). 37-8
"Old Hurnpty". 37
No. 444: 0-6-0ST built as an 0-6-0 tender engine in 1873and convertedvto saddle tank in 1889. New boiler in 1897. Renumbered as 1271 in 1915 an withdrawn in October 1921. Based at Dunfermline.
An LNER Exhibition. 37
At Wsaverley on Sunday 1 July 1928. Complete Flying Scotsman and Queen of Scots trains exhibited. Funds raised for Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. J. Calder, General Manager Scotland presided at opening.
Sleeper treatment plants. 37
Creosoting performed at Ladybank, Granton and Bo'ness. LNER closed Granton and Ladybank in 1928, and concentrated activity at Bo'ness.
The North British route to Euston. 37
Opened to Berwick on 22 June 1848. Travel to London involved departure for Berwick at 21.00; overnight travel by coach to Newcastle (by Union via Alnwick or Quicksilver via Wooler); Entrainment at Newcastle at 07.30 and eventual arrival at Euston at 19.45.
Ode to the dear departed "Dandy". 38
Poem of 1914 lamenting end of Dandy car on Port Carlisle branch
Charleston and Dunfermline Railway (The Charleston Private Railway).
The Charleston Railway and Harbour Act of 1859 was designed to authorise the Charleston Harbour and Railway Company to acquire and purchase the Charleston Railway and Harbour. The authorised share capital was to be in 7200 shares of £10 each, and Schedule B of the Act noted the following items of rolling stock: 4 locomotives and 1 tender; 2 passenger carriages; 223 coal wagons; 2 coal trucks; 35 goods wagons; 1 covered van.
The history of the Charleston Railway is shrouded in mystery and very little of their original documentation seems to. have survived. Unless these are in private hands, or obscure collections, it is improbable that much more will come to light. One other source may be the local Fife (or even the Edinburgh) press for the area, but this could be the only surviving source available although it would indeed be a labour of love for any researcher, bearing in m ind that the newspapers of the time did not carry headlines as they do today .
The horse box. 38
An item in the Accounts of the Edinburgh and Northern Railway notes that the cost of the upkeep for the horse at Granton for a period of six months was £40, but the man who looked after the horse only received the sum of £27 for the same period. Was it really preferable to be a horse on the Edinburgh and Northern?
Sunday service. 38
In the Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway Minutes for 1851, it is mentioned that the "coach and light tank engine is authorised to run on Sunday mornings to convey worshippers only from the Vale of Leven to the Episcopal Church at Dumbarton." One is left to wonder just how a 'worshipper' was determined.
Privilege travel no more. 38
When William Paton, the former Locomotive Superintendent of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway retired, he was granted a pension of £170 per annum and a free pass over the system, the latter normally a privilege granted only to Directors. When the North British took over the line in 1865, one of their first actions was to cancel Mr. Paton's free pass - rather mean to say the least.
The tail lamp (miscellaneous photographs). 39
The photographs and captions are out of synch (but are listed in photograph order): LNER wagon plate : Doncaster 724985 (caption records that 700000 series normally allocated to former North British Railway vehicles); No. 46222 Princess Alice at former North British depot; N2 0-6-2T No. 4739 entering St. Boswells with two Gresley vehicles: brake thiird and composite lavatory non-gangwayed coaches; three compartment brake third originally 1651, then LNER 31651 at Craigentinny Sidings in 1930s.
Issue No. 66 (March 1997)
Never On Sundays. 4
At the half yearly meetings of the Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway, (among other railways) for many years either a Mr. Blackadder or a Mr. Heriot (or both) fulminated against the running of Sunday trains. They even got the length of moving that the E.P.D.R. Company's Officers should not work on Sundays "in order to be fit to attend to the Company's business on Monday". Nothing appears to have been said, however, about the lower ranks not working on the Sabbath!
A note in the North British Railway Minute Books for 19 January 1849 notes that W.H. Playfair was paid £414 for the designing and superintending the layout of West Princes Street Gardens. This is the area between the Haymarket and Mound Tunnels, through which ran the double track main line of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway, the site of which the Princes Street Proprietors wished to conceal as far as possible. William Henry Playfair was one of the most notable architects of the period, and at one time produced a design covering the construction of an extension of the new town from the east end of Princes Street down to Leith in 1814. Unfortunately, Edinburgh was then almost bankrupt, and the scheme was moribund. Playfair went on the design (inter alia) the neo-classical Royal Institution (1826) and National Gallery of Scotland (1859), both of which nestle at the foot of the Mound, the latter straddling the Mound Tunnels and dominating the western skyline above Waverley Station .
Well Played, Sir! 4
The Edinburgh Suburban and South Side Junction Railway Company passes through the playing fields of George Watsons College at Myreside in Edinburgh in a deep cutting, and although no doubt many celebrated tries have been scored at the higher elevation by famous players over the years, probably none can equate with the 'touch down' of a humble L.N.E.R. engine driver some years back. As his goods train was travelling downhill on a breezy Saturday afternoon, a high kick sent the ball hurtling over the edge of the rocky cutting and it finally bounced among the coals on the low sided tender of a passing goods locomotive. Accurately timing his effort, and with startling precision, the driver pounced and gained possession. The groundsman, no doubt, searched high and low for the ball, but --- well the youthful son of an engine driver is reputed to have become a good drop-kicker.
The Kirkcaldy Harbour Branch. 5-12
Incorporated as part of the Edinburgh & Northern Railway but not constructed until about 1849/50. It was sharply curved and steeply (about 1 in 20) graded. Horse ttraction was used at first, but between 1850 and 1903 rope haulage was used. Steam classes employed included Class G 0-4-0ST (LNER Y9); Class F 0-6-0T (LNER J88) and former GER class J69. Two Y9 locomotives ended up in the harbour: one in the 1900s and No. 68311 on 12 November 1954. Several private sidings led off the branch including one to an electricity generating station and a flour mill. Includes map and plans.
"Coachmaker John". 13
John Learmouth: first chairman of Edinbugh & Berwick Railway and manipulator of supply of coaches to it and other Edinburgh-based railways.
St. Boswells locomotive shed diagram. 14
Spotlight On St Boswells. 15-16
Railway opened to Newton St. Boswells in 1849; and closed as part of Beeching/Wilson demolition of transport links to the Borders
C. Hamilton Ellis. The North British Railway in the Pre-Group era. 25
From Rly Mag., 1940 (January Issue).
North Queensferry Tunnel, 26
Based on articvle in LNER Magazine 1927.
A fatal big bang. 26
On 1 September 1882 No. 465, a Drummond 0-6-0 leaving Dunbar southwards suffered a boiler exposion in which both enginemen were killed. Major Generl C.S. Hutchinson could not find the casue
Early North British Railway carriages: the physical factors. W.E. Boyd.
Passengers were spared travel in open trucks, or in fourth class.
The first railway across the Border (or was it?), 28
Was Berwick a separate entity, or a part of Scotland when the railway reached it from Edinburgh
Roof lamp barrow (2 wheel): SSA Barrow Diagram 10. 29
Kipps 1896. 30
Plan of locomotive depot and repair shops; also wagon repair shop
The Port Carlisle Railway: some retrospective views. 31.
From Rly Mag., 1943:, 89: reminiscences by Edwin S. Towill and George F. Tomlinson
Captain of the booking hall. 32
Captain William Donaldson, Crimean War veteran who lost a leg during the battle of Balaclava, was employed at Waverley as Cab Traffic Regulator. His nickname was Captain Pin.
North British Railway War Relief Fund. 32
Fund established during WW1 to relieve hardship caused by death or injury inflicted during active service.
Coaching days memories. 32
Alexander McNab of Cupar in Fefe was awarded a silver medallion by the Directors of the Edinburgh and Northern Railway in recognition of his coaching services between Newport and Pettycur, near Kinghorn where ferries across the Tay and Forth operated.
Signalling - the first fixed types, 33-4.
Based on D.K. Clark's Railway engineering [presumably Railway machinry] and E.D. Chattaway Railways: their capital and dividends (Ottley 445).
Early North British Railway mechanical signals (1866). 35
Illustrations taken from the North British Railway Rule Book of 1866.
The North British Railway's clerestory controversy. 36-7.
In 1905 the General Manager, W.F. Jackson, and Locomotive Superintendent, W.P. Reid, discussed introducing clerestory coaches (diagram of proposal reproduced). Reid considered greater expense, difficulty of keeping watertight and greater weight.
Railways of Central Fife - map (1946). 38
Burntisland an communications
St. Margarets - 1946. 66/40.
"A totally evocative portrait of the old roundhouse: vacuum braked and steam heat fitted J83 0-6-0T; Y9 0-4-0ST No. 10094 (with J72 chimney and "Kipps" on front buffer beam) and steam brake fitted J83. Running foreman with homburg,
Issue Number 68 (September 1997)
Four coupled tender engines. 4
Photographs of 0-4-2 No. 247 which based on a William Simpson & Co. locomotive of 1851 supplied to the Stirling & Dunfermline Railway and claimed to be rebuilt in 1866 and 1875 with a Cowlairs work-plate dated 1873; and 0-4-0 No. 1011 which eventually became LNER stock.
67611. Thhe Milngavie branch. 5-9.
The Devon Valley Railway. 9.
10 ton empty cask wagon. 11
Diagram (side & end elevations)
G.W.M. Sewell. A fatal accident at Rothbury, February 1897. 13-15.
Accident on 13 February 1897 involving a return excursion from Newcastle worked by the NBR from Scotsgap by 4-4-0T driven by William Burrow, some of the coaches derailed on the approach to Rothbury which led to three deaths and ten serious injuries. Excessive speed may have been involved.
Issue No. 73 (Summer 1999)
Corrour about 1913. front cover
Allan D. Rodgers. The Montrose & Bervie Branch. 3-30
Alan Sirnpson. Some further notes on the East Fife Central Line. 31-9.
4-4-0T No. 1464. 35
Allocated to Kipps: date probably post-WW1
Callum MacRaild. Fort William notes. 40-1
By the West Highland Railway to the Land of Romance & Beauty Rly & Travel Monthly
The Invergarry & Fort Augustus Railway Fredrick Stoton Railway Magazine
The Eyemouth Railway J. Hay
Circular - Engineers & Contractors Operations, Sunday 24th November 1907
History of Local Railways - Conditions at the Turn of the Century Roger Pedrick
Circular - Opening of the Tay Bridge 1878 W. Brown
The Kincardine & Dunfermline Railway - Some Notes Alan Simpson
Circular - Journey of His Imperial Majesty the Czar W. Brown
Front Cover 3 31 41 42 44 47 49 51 52 54 58 PLEASE NOTE Letters referring to Journal items should be sent to the Editor Bill Rear at Conwy (address as at the bottom of this page). Items for submission as possible Journal contributions should be sent to Archie Noble at York. Copyright The design layout and setting of the Journal belongs to the Study Group. All articles, drawings, photographs etc. appearing in this Journal are the property of the contributor except where stated, and may not be reproduced without permission. Contributors are reminded that any material submitted for publication and, where they third party material. understand that it is their responsibility to ensure no infringement of owners' conditions occurs Image Class 1.39 No. 64917 stands at Eyernouth at the head of a mixed train to Burnrnouth Oil 20th September 1960 photo: K. M. Falconer
Issue No. 74 (Autumn 1999)
J35 No. 64488 at Lochty. Huw Davies. front
See letteri in Issue 81 from Peter Westwater stating location as Larrgoward
A. Simpson. The Leslie Railway: a Fife branch line. 3-10.
Page 5: Illustrations: 0-6-0 No. 551 at Dysart:. See letteri in Issue 81 from Peter Westwater location Burntisland.
D.M.E. Lindsay. Gunpowder vans: extracts from the Rules and Regulations North British Railway dated 1914. 15-
Alan Simpson. The Kirkcaldy District Railway - further notes. 18-
Roger Pedrick. History of the local railways. Part 4 - : Rival trains raced for record times. 29-
Issue No. 77 (Summer 2000)
0-6-0 No..415 on up local in Princes Street Gardens. front cover
D. Yuill. North British Railway steamers Part 3 - Firth of
Clyde Sections. 3-8.
Full fleet list. In the 1930s the LNER had doubts about mainta8ining its fleet and entered into negotiations with the LMS which came to nothing. In both WW1 and WW2 there were losses to vessesl.
Alan Simpson. Clackmannanshirc Pits in 1920. 9-10.
The Alloa Coal Co. had collieries in Alloa, Tillicoultry and Clackmannan and at Bannockburn in Stirlingshire: all except the loast were served by the NBR. Home Office statistics for numbers employed below and above ground. Gradient profiles for approach railways.
Cecil J. Allen. British locomotive practice and performance. Railway
Magazine - January 1923. 11-15.
Performance by superheated Atlantics southbound from Aberdeen to Edinburgh with a heavy load and on the Waverley Route to Carlisle.
Alan Simpson. Single Lines on the North British Railway.n 16-18.
List of single line routes divided by Divisions and then by name of line and then by extent of sigle line (e.g. Anstruther to St. Andrews) isssued by the General Mansager's Office on 24 May 1909. No further data, such as mileage recorded)
G.W.M. Sewell. The N.B.R. steam motor carriage. 19-22
Proposal by Reid in 1906: it would have been veryb similar to the unsatisfactory Great North of Scotland car which incorporated an Andrew Barclay engine
Alan Simpson and Roger Pedrick. The Alva branch
line: a Clackmannanshire branch line. 22-6.
Local line promoted in Alva by textile manufacturers (who used water power from local Ochill glen). Act obtained on 22 July 1861. Route began at Cambus Junction. Taken over by Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway in 1864. Traffic on line included that from Glenochil Distillery, latterly a yeast factory, and from Glenochil Colliery, both in Menstrie. No mention of closure factory in Menstrie (visited by KPJ in 1946, probably all traffic was brought by road: but passsenger traffic still in hands of Sentinel railcar).#
Alan Simpson. From Ladybank Junction to Perth. 27-8.
Alva branch: gradient profile and Working Timetable June 1900.
Two Alloa Coal Company wagons. 29.
Photographs of six plank wagons with side and end doors: one with dumb buffers; the other with spring: latter lettered Bannockburn and Wallsend Navigation.
Parcel waybill from Dalmeny Station 1916. 30
Richard Davidson. Early Scottish outside frame mineral wagons.
General arrangement drawings for 7-ton wagons operated by the North British and Caledonian Railways in the 1860s: intended to construct model wagons.
Bracket Signal at Fort William 1938. 40
Issue No. 78 (Autumn 2000)
0-4-4T No. 355 with wagon of locomotive coal in Edinburgh Waverley beneathy Calton Jail in early LNER period. front cover
North British Railway 0-6·0 No. l. 2
D. Yuill. North British Railway steamers Part 4 - Loch Lomond Section. 3-6.
Photographs include PS The Queen shown ice-bound on Loch Lomond. PS Balmaha and PS Empress are also shown in normal conditions
Alan Simpson. The 1902 Railway Year Book - North British Railway. 7-10
From the L.N.E.R. Magazine for January 1919 (page 53). 11
Forth Goods Station Newcastle, Yard master Rayfield. 535 sidings (23 miles)
William Paton Reid. 11
Who was Who: born 8 September 1854; died 2 February 1932. Residence: Carsaig, 6 Wykeham Road, Scotstounhill, Glasgow
D.M.E. Lindsay. Two items of North British Railway interest. 11
Working on: stations of Scutland showing opening and closing dares and company that opened them; opening dates of routes and stations; closing dates of routes and stations; and eventually hope to produce a route by route list showing stations and sidings with opening and closing dates.
Fourth class on the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway
It appears that The Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway was among the first of the Railway companies to offer four classes of travel to its passengers albeit the fourth class was only offered on the all stations trains.
An extract from a Murray's Timetable of April 1845 shows that three trains each way between Edinburgh and Glasgow offered 'fourth class accommodation'. These three trains left Edinburgh at 07.00, 13.30 and 17.00 and arrived at Glasgow at 09.30. 16.15 and 19.15 respectively, having stopped at Gogar, Ratho, Winchburgh. Linlithgow, Polrnont, Falkirk, Castlecary, Croy, Kirkintilloch (Lenzie) Bishopbriggs.
I have no doubt other intermediate stations were also called ut but my recollections of the 'Murrays timetable was that they covered main stations only and suburban stations with a frequent service served by various routes were shown under the station name and not on a route basis. i.e. Hayrnarket. The timings of the trains from Glasgow tu Edinburgh were identical to those shown from Edinburgh with same timings. Of interest was the fact that the 13.30 train was also shown as a goods train which explains why it took longer to reach the respective terminus's .. Unfortunately the article does not say when the fourth class was abandoned. Perhaps some one out there has this information and could advise the group. Source Railway Magazine.
North British Railway Desirable factory sites. 12
Pictorial advertising poster signed J. Calder; thus post 1918
Alan Macfarlane. We want insulated fish vans!!. 13-14.
London Fish Traders Association request in 1923 for fish off West West Highland line
Alan Macfarlane. Fish workings. 15
Fish from Berwick (salmon) during BR period; from Eyemouth and from Mallaig for London fish market: complaints about quality from Northb British and LNER periods.
Traffic control at Bumtisland - Scottish Region. 16-17.
From Railway Magazine January 1952: includes a map.
Alan Simpson. The North British Railway and the Union
Acquired in 1865; gradual decline in traffic. Closure of link to Forth & Clyde Canal in Falkirk in 1933. Water used by distilleries in Linlithgow and in Edinburgh; and by North British Rubber Co. and at St. Margarets engine shed where fish caused problems. For NBR Rowing Club see Issue 83 page 31.
Alan Simpson. The Bennochy Road level crossing. 22-3.
Miscellaneous short items. 24-36
David M.E. Lindsay. Changing signalbox names. 24
Brunstane Park Junction opened in 1815 but bcame Niddrie North in 1925. Corstorphine Junction became Saughton Junction when the Corstorphine branch opened; and Bridgeton station became Chryston in 1907.
A. Simpson. A mixed bag or a selection of traders wagons. 24
Alan Simpson. Traffic on the Inverbervie branch. 24
Train to Birnie Road siding once per week
Alan Simpson. The Directors of the NBR 1913. 27-8.
An interesting example of social and economic history in the era before WW1. is encountered in the list of directors of the N B R in the account for of the year ended 31 st December 1913, The list of directors of Scotland's largest railway company, and also one of the largest businesses ever controlled from Scotland was as follows. William Whitelaw; Earl of Dalkeith; Henry Torrance Anstruther; Charles Carlow; Alexander Bruce Gilroy; Alexander Reith Grey; John Howard; John Inglis, LLD; Andrew Kirkwood McCosh; Henry Maciver; Sir John M Stirling Maxwell, Bart LLD; Alexander Simpson; Harry George Younger. The business background of many is given briefly
W. Rhind Brown, South Leith old passenger station. 28
Notes from Railway Mag., of May 1930 based on LNER Magazine for March 1930: George Findlay noted that South Leith was originally served by horse-drawn trains on Dalkeith Railway which opened in 1831.
A. Simpson. Memorial in Auchtertool Parish Church. 28.
Johnn Grieve killed on railway on 20 February 1907: memorial window
Ghost trains of the West Highlands. Railway Magazine January 1938. 29
02.15 from Glasgow Sighthill to Fort William carried freight and newspapers. Corresponding 00.32 from Callendar to Oban was a mixed train.
Pertinent paragraphs. Railway Magazine January 1923. End of the North British
With Ministry of Transport on dividend psayments
Alan Simpson. Loch-A-Vuie Platform. 29
Between Glenfinnan and Lochailort: LNER Working Timetable 1947 instructions
A. Simpson. The Black Devon Viaduct. 33
On former N.B.R. route from Kincardine Junction to Dunfermline (The Stirling & Dunfennline Railway). The route is now abandoned, but the solum of the track bed still exists and on 2 January 1995, he inspected one of the main structures: an impressive stone structure of four semi-circular arches which took the railway across the valley of the river Black Devon (a tributary of the Firth of Forth).
Alan Simpson. Charlestown Branch: notes of a railway ramble in January 1995.
Sunday, 29 January 1995 The branch to the Charlestown leaves the Dunfermline to Kincardine line at Elbowend Junction. At this point, there is a ground frame and a colour light signal. The track of the Charlestown branch was still in place, but it was noted that there had not apparently been any traffic for some time, as the rails were rusted. However, at least the track bed was tidy and free of vegetation. The branch, which is a single track, runs due south, bordered on both sides by fields. It shortly afterwards enters a shallow cutting and then bends to the right (westwards) with check rails on the western set of rails. The line crosses the A985 Rosyrh Kincardine road to on a single span girder bridge. There is also, a bit farther on, a semi-circular brick arch bridge on which the line crosses over a now abandoned road. The branch now heads in a westerly direction parallel to the A985 road (although a short distance back from it) and comes to a level crossing, with white painted wooden gates and a red 'target' It then continues west, under a farm access bridge and over another gated level crossing. It then comes to a bridge taking the minor pub- lic road to Charlestown across the railway and then heads south again, through a cutting. Once through this views of the River Forth and the pier of Crombie Royal Naval Armaments Depot can be seen on the right-hand side. The line then curves eastwards and comes to a set of trailing points. At this location a track set back westwards to serve at the Crornbie base. The "main line" continues eastwards for a short distance until it terminates at a buffer stop fashioned out of old rails. The only reason he suspected that the Charlestown branch is retained is for strategic purposes, to serve the Armaments Base.
The new Locomotive Superintendent ot the North British Railway.
Railway Magazine - Bill Lynn. 33
[KPJ: presumably Volume 14 or 15]. In the last issue of the RAILWAY MAGAZINE we chronicled the appointment of Mr. W.P. Reid as Locomotive Superintendent of the North British Railway. We are now enabled to publish his portrait, with some additional information of his career.
Mr. Reid is a Glasgow man. and has risen from the ranks. During his apprenticeship he attended Science and Art Classes. and gained First Class certificates in most of the subjects. He began his railway career at Cowlairs Works in May, 1879. where his conduct and abilities soon attracted the attention of the late Mr. Matthew Holmes. then Locomotive Superintendent of the North British Ra.lway, who promoted him to be Charge of the Locomotive Depot at Balloch in 1883. Further promotion followed. viz., to Dunfermline in 1889, to Dundee in 1891, and to the St. Margarets Sheds at Edinburgh on May l st., 1900. Mr. Reid was now in charge of the second largest depot on the North British Railway. and when the Directors considered it advisable to appoint an Outdoor Assistant Locomotive Superintendent. the merits of Mr. Reid immediately caused their choice to fall upon him. Frank, energetic. and capable, he is popular with the staff. It may be stated that Mr. Reid is the youngest of six brothers who have all risen to responsible positions. One of the brothers. Mr. G. W. Reid, was for ten years Chief Locomotive Superintendent of the Natal Government Railways. South Africa, and during the Boer war rendered valuable assistance to the military authorities in connection with the Locomotive Department. for which he received the thanks of Lord. Kitchener.
Alan Simpson. Lines in the Tayport area. 37-9
Map shows the former railw ay from Wormit past Tentsmuir to Leuchars Junction: it carried commuter traffic until the openinng of the Tay Road Bridge.
Bill Rear. Comment. 40
Concluding remarks by Editor who had to resign due to health problems, and was critical of the lack of literary support from members. He also outlined the working methods required to produce printed copy via Mackay (Design & Print) Ltd of Port Glasgow
Issue Number 79 (Winter 2000)
Roger Pedrick. History of the local railways: first train ferry in
the world. 3-4.
Thomas Bouch vessels on Granton to Burntisland route. Rewritten from article in Dunfermline Press.
Bill Rear. The West Highland Line: Eastfield engine diagrams September 1962. 5-12.
Alex K. Bowman. Expresses of the North British Railway Edinburgh-Aberdeen
main line. 13-17
Extracted from The Railway Magazine 1912 January
The Northern Belle. 18-32
Partly from The Railway Magazine and an LNER publication: includes timetables, map and itineries for the land cruise train. On page there is a photograph of Nos. 9221 Glen Orchy and 9248 Glen Shiel at Glenfinnan. on The Northern Belle