The Locomotive Magazine and Railway Carriage and  Wagon Review
Volume 21 (1915)

Key file

Number 269 (15 January 1915)

0-6-4 tank locomotive, Barry Ry. 1. illustration
Supplied R. & W. Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd to design of J. Auld, Locomotive Superintendent.

Six-coupled radial tank engines, Taff Vale Ry. 2. illustration, diagram (side & front elevations)

Tender locomotives for the Darjeeling Himalayan Ry. 3. illustration
Two express 4-6-2 supplied by North British Locomotive Co. to work betweem Siliguri and Darjeeling. Tractive force 11,600  lbf; weight 28 tons; total heating surface 835ft2; grate area 16ft2. 

2-6-4 type tank locomotive, Buenos Ayres Midland Ry. 4. illustration
Metre gauge Hunslet Engine Co. type having 17 x 24in outside cylinders, actuated by Walschaerts valve gear, 1019 ft2 total heating surface; 16ft2 grate area and 4ft 6in coupled wheels.

Electric traction notes. 4
Michigan & Chicago Railway completed a 2400V third rail system carried on special insulators. Experiments were being conducted to find a suitable guard (not as in conductor, but as in non-conductive)

Locomotive for the Transcontinental Railway of Australia. 5-6.  illustration
Constructed by Baldwin Locomotive Works: outside-cylinder (20 x 26in); 5ft coupled wheels. Also composite loading gauge adopted by Commonwealth of Australia Railways.

Old tank engines of the Western Ry. of France. 6-7. 2 diagrams (including side elevation)
See also letter from Mernoc on p. 91

An "Allied" relic on the Ottoman Aidin Ry. 7-8. illustration

Mishap in India. 8. illustration
Accident caused by a divided train on the Thull Gautt Incline of the Great Indian Peninsula Ry.

The Sirhowy Railway with some notes on the Sirhowy Tramroad. 9-11. illustration, 2 maps, 2 diagrams
First locomotive supplied to the Tredegar Iron Co. was manufactured by Messrs Robert Stephenson & Co. WN 16/1829 which was six-coupled shown as outline drawing in Figure 1. This received the  name Britannia; the next was also six-coupled Hercules and the third was four-coupled Speedwell. The Tredegar Iron Co. manufactured its own locomotives between 1832 and 1848: these were six-coupled and were based on Britannia: they were named Tredegar, Jane, Lord Rodney, Lady Sale, Prince Albert, St. David, Fanny and Charlotte. St. David is shown in Fig. 2.  The final locomotive was built in 1853: Bedwellty (and this is shown in a photograph in a partially dismantled state in Fig. 3. See also page 94

E.L. Ahrons. The early Great Western standard gauge engines. 11-14. 6 diagrams (line drawings: side elevations)

The patent N.P. pump bucket.  14. diagram.

G.E.R. 14
The engine in the colllision at Ilford on 1 January 1915 was 4-4-0 No. 1813.

Improvements in cells for train lighting. 15-16. 2 illustrations, diagram

Boiler tubes. 6-7.

J. Lynes. The construction and inpection of 10-ton open goods wagons. 17-20. 2 diagrams.

45-ton bogie high-sided wagons, Buenos Ayres Pacific Ry. 20-1. illustration
Built by the Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Co. Ltd and Bristol Wagon and Carriage Works Co. Ltd to the designs of F. Colin York, Chief Mechanical Engineer. Rubber buffer and draw gear springs.

A drawbar improvement. 21. diagram

Examination of engines at loco. depots. 21-2.

Steel passenger coaches. 22

Ceylon Government Rys. 22

Reviews. 23

Valves and valve gearing. Charles Hurst. Charles Griffin Ltd.
7th edition

Number 270 (15 February 1915)

Six wheels coupled radial tank engine, G. E. Ry. 25. illustration

Six wheels coupled goods engine, Belfast and County Down Ry. 29-30. illustration
Built Beyer Peacock to specification of R.G. Miller, locomotive engineer 

Indian ambulance trains. 30-1. 2 illustrations
Three trains formed of modified vehicles assembled at the Lahore Workshops of the North Western State Railway.

Old Belgian tank locomotives. 31-4. 4 illustrations, 3 diagrams (side elevations)

E.L. Ahrons. The early Great Western standard gauge engines. 11-14. 7 diagrams (line drawings: side elevations)

The Bonnefond valve gear. 42-3. 2 diagrams (including side elevation)
Fitted to six-coupled engine of the C. de F. de l' Etat and to twenty two express 2-4-2 locomotives including No. 2609 Patay exhibited at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago in1893.

The "Rubygage" Indicator. 48. diagram
Water gauge supplied by Ronald Trist & Co,

Underground Electric Rys. of London. 48
As from 25 January the following changes in the Metropolitan District Ry., London Electric Ry., City & South London Ry., and Central London Ry. — Mr. W. E. Mandelick, in addition to his office as.secretary to the above Companies, is appointed business-manager, Mr. Z. E. Knapp is appointed manager for-maintenance and construction to the Companies; Mr.W. E. Blake, in addition to his position as superintendent of the line to the District Ry., is appointed superintendent of the line to the London Electric, City & South London and Central London Rys. in place of Mr. J. P. Thomas, who has resigned his position with these Companies to become general superintendent of the London General Omnibus Co., Ltd.

Institution of Locomotive Engineers. 48
Annual General Meeting at Caxton Hall on 12 February 1915

Railway Club. 48
C.J. Allen to speak on The Anglo-Scottish train services on 9 March.

Number 271 (15 March 1915)

2-6-4 tank engines, Great Central Ry. 49. illustration
Robinson design with leading Bissell truck and 21 x 26in inside cylinders intended for working coal trains from the Nottinghamshire coal field to Grimsby and Immingham docks. Fitted with water pick up gear and staem heating for working heavy passenger trains. See also mechanical lubricators..

Great Western Ry. 49
New 45XX 2-6-2T compl;eted at Swindon: Nos. 4540-4549. New 42XX 2-8-0T Nos. 4240 and 4241, 4-4-0 No. 3414 (formerly 3704) named A.H. Mills. GWR 2-6-0 and 2-8-0 mineral locomotives working through to Southampton over LSWR with coal trains from Salisbury. New locomotive sheds completed at Westbury and at Long Rock, Penzance

Combined rack and adhesion locomotive, Nilgiri Section, South Indian Ry. 50-1. 2 illustrations
Supplied by Swiss Locomotive Co. at Winterthur under supervision of Robert White, Consulting Engineer: 0-8-2 with four cylinders (working compound on rack sections). Detailed diagrams on p. 82 et seq

New passenger locomotives, Midland & South Western Junction Ry. 51-2. illustration, diagram
J. Tyrrell design of 4-4-0m supplied by North British Locomotive Co. with Ross pop safety valves and Great Western type top feed for water. Gradient profile of route

Tank locomotive, Wirral Ry. 53. illustration
T.B. Hunter 0-4-4T with 5ft 6in coupled wheels supplied by Beyer Peacock

Locomotives for ther Bombay Port Trust. 53-4. illustration
Purchase of former L21 class 0-6-0 type from Great Indian Peninsula Railway: originally built by Neilson & Co. in 1878: former Nos. 400, 418n 50 and 51 became 01-04. They had 17 x 24in cylinders, 5ft wheels, 1089ft2 total heating surface and 21ft2 grate area.

35 tons self-propelliing steam break down crane, G. N. Ry. 54; 55. illustration, diagram (side elevation)
Supplied by Craven Brothers of Reddish to the specification of H.N. Gresley; fitted with a Spencer-Hopwood boiler

The Scotch locomotive and rolling stock industry. 55-6.
State of the Scottish locomotive (North British Locomotive Co. and Andrew Barclay & Sons) and rolling stock (only Hurst Nelson is mentioned) in 1914: effects of WW1 and competition for orders with Germany.

The electric locomotives of the New York Central Ry. 56. illustration.
600 volts DC 4-4-4-4

Metropolitan Ry. 56
Introduction of first class cars on the Great Northern & City Section between Finsbury Park and Moorgate.

Electric traction notes. 57
Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway electric locomotives: 4-4-4-4-4-4 weighing 260 tons

[Loetschberg tunnle locomotives: problems]. 57
Vibrartion in rods and crankshafts leading to fractures

Gasoline rail motor for the Union Pacific RR. of America. 57. illustration
Streamlined railcar built by W.R. McKeen

Tools for a running shed. 58-61. 33 diagrams

South Eastern engine, "Man of Kent". 61-2. 2 diagrams (including side elevation)
Built by Rennie (WN 19/1843) for the Joint London & Croydon Railways togeether with WN 20 which became Maid of Kent in the London & Brighton Railway stock. No. 27 Man of Kernt had novel cylinders fitted iu 1849 with an extra port which exhausted directly into the chimney (diagram).It ran in this form for three years. Both engines were 2-2-2.

E.L. Ahrons. The early Great Western standard gauge engines. The West Midland Railway amalgamated stock. 62-3. 2 diagrams (side elevations)
Based on the Joy Diaries as published in the Railway Magazine and available in steamindex. Figure 80 shows locomotive A acquired from a contractor in Pontefract which had been overhauled by  E.B. Wilson in Leeds. It was a 2-4-0 with 5ft 6i coupled wheels.  In 1855 Joy converted it into a 2-2-2. 

Fire brick arches. 63
If steeped in a strong solution of salt before being installed and if hard coal is being burnt they will tend to glaze together.

South Eastern & Chatham Railway. 65
Enlargement of Margate West station in preparation for closure of Margate Sands Section.

The Glenbrook Deviation, New South Wales Government Rys. 64-5. 4 illustrations
Knapsack Viaduct and Glenbrook Tunnel on section which avoided 1 in 30 gradients, zig-zxag and single track of former route into the Blue Mountains

Panama Pacific International Exhibition. 65
To be held in San Francisco with a 19 inch gauge railway 5½ miles in length with at least eight Pacific locomotives.

Canadian Pacific Ry. 65
Selkirk Tunnel under construction and 5½ miles in length to be electrified

Kitchen car, Great Eastern Ry. 66-8. diagram (side elevation in section and plan)
A.J. Hill design with kitchin in centre and crimson leather seating for first class and third class on other side.Cooking by oil gas

Correspondence. 68

[Nashua & Lowell RR Lion]. B. Thomas.  68. illustration
Lion built by Hinkley & Drury of Boston, Mass.: WN 62/1846. Cylinders 13½ x 20in; wheels: 4ft 6in. Built forPalmer & Machiasport RR of Maine. In service until 1890. First locomotive was Phoenix which had been built in England. Second was Tiger also built by Hinkley & Drury WN 7/1842.

Artistic railway station buildings. 69-70. illustration, diagram, plan
Elvington station, Derwent Valley Light Railway. Constructed mainly of concrete and asbestos.

A new system of push button control for wheel lathes. 70-1. 2 illustrations

Shanghai-Nanking Ry. 71.
Ross pop safety valves

[French Government]. 71
French Government placed order with Baldwin Locomotive Works for 100 Pechot type (modified Fairlie)

[Kerr, Stuart & Co.]. 71
We understand that Kerr, Stuart & Co. were building 35 lomotives for the French Commission

Early Great Western locos, 71
Errata: see page 34

Number 272 (15 April 1915)

Rebuilt mixed traffic engine, London & South Western Ry. 73-4. 2 illustrations
Urie two cylinder rebuild of Drummond four-cylinder design with water tubes in firebox: 21 x 28in cylinders; Walschaerts valve gear; 6ft driving wheels; grate area 31.5ft2. Eastleigh superheater.

4-6-0 locomotives, Victoria Government Railways. 74. illustration
Supplied by Beyer Peacock. Class DD. 18 x 26in cylinders. 5ft 13/8in coupled wheels, 1380ft2 total heating surface; 21.9ft2 grate area

Great Western Railway. 74
Scrapped the last 2-2-2 to have survived in service: Nos. 165 and 1128 which had operated on the Oxford to Fairford branch. Other locomotives withdrawn: 2-4-0 No. 76 Wye and Nos. 197 and 3228 and double-frame 0-6-0 Nos. 83, 87, 472, 476, 477, 688m and 1096. The following 4-2-2 had been scrapped: Nos. 3006 Courier, 3009 Flying Dutchman, 3027 Worcester, 3045 Hirondelle, 3055 Wilkinson, 3056 Lambert, 3070 Earl of Warwick and 3071 Emlyn. New 2-6-2T 45XX class Nos. 4550-4. 43XX working coal trains through to Southampton in addition to 26XX and 28XX.

Tunnel locomotive for the New Reynolton Colliery Co. Ltd. 75. illustration, diagram (side & front elevations)
For work at Begelly in Pembrokeshire. 4ft gauge capable of working on Saundersfoot Harbour & Railway Co. line. Named Bull Dog. Supplied by Kerr Stuart & Co. 2ft 6in wheels; 9 x 15in cylinders 

Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway. 75
4-4-0 being rebuilt with larger boilers with Belpaire fireboxes and Extended smokeboxes and Schmidt superheaters, but retaining Joy valve gear and slide valves. No. 455 was in service in this form.

Great Eastern Ry. 75.
0-6-0 No. 1240 and 4-4-0 No. 1791 fitted with Weir pumps. The haulage of heavy coal traffic between March and Stratford called for the loan of locomotives from the LBSCR and Midland Railway. The Edmonton to Cheshunt Loop had been reopened and was being worked by 1300 class auto trains.

Superheater goods locomotive, North British Ry. 76. illustration
No. 8 illustrated. Cowlairs had constructed Nos. 8, 13, 44, 62, 113, 136, 222, 255, 260 and 261. They had 5ft coupled wheels, 19½ x 26in cylinders, a total heating surface of 1732.22ft2 inckuding 234.9ft2 superheat; 19.8ft2 grate area and 165 psi boiler pressure. The numbers were placed on the tenders to assist reporting to Lothian Control

Highland Ry. 76
Six locomotives were being supplied by Hawthorn Leslie to be delivered in June. They would be numbered 70-5; have 21 x 28in cylinders, 6ft coupled wheels, a total heating surface of 1599.6ft2 including Robinson superheater, 25.3ft2  grate area and patent feed water heater invented by F.G. Smith, chief mechanical engineer.

4-6-4 tank locomotive, Gold Coast Government Rys. 77
Hunslet Engine Co. with 17x20in cylinders operated by Walschaerts valve gear, 3ft 4½in coupled wheels, 777ft2 total heating surface and 142 grate area,

Messrs. C.C. Wakefield. 77
Company's Patent No. 1 Mechanical Lubricator fitted to GCR 2-6-4T featured in last issue.

All steel cars, Metropolitan District Railway. 78. illustration
Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Co. Ltd to design of W.A. Agnew chief mechanical engineer District Railway.

The Hedjaz Railway. 79-81. 4 illustrations, map
Damascus to Medina is 830 miles. Non-Muslims not permitted to travel beyond El Ula. Pilgrim train shown in new station at Damascus. The train of the Holy Caravan is shown at Cadem station

German railways. 81
Rumours that Prussian State Railways were replacing copper fireboxes with those of steekl due to a shortage of copper and that the lead from battery storage cells was beiing removed to manufature munitions

Combined rack and adhesion locomotive, Nilgiri Section, South Indian Ry. 82-6. 5 diagrams (including plans and elevations)
Description and photographs page 50

E.L. Ahrons. The early Great Western standard gauge engines. 86-8. 5 diagrams (side elevations)

Locking device for valve spindles and crossheads. 88. 4 diagrams

Sand shield for locomotives. 89. illustration

The work and organization of the locomotive, carriage  and wagon department of a small railway. 89-91.

Great Central Ry. 91
No. 279, 4-6-0 express goods and fish engine, has been named Earl Kitchener of Khartoum, and No. 446 Earl Roberts of Kandahar. Both engines 1A Glenalmond  class. There were only two of the American 2-6-0 goods engines in service on this line.

Rhymney Ry. 91
During 1914 three new engines were built by Hudswell Clarke & Co., Nos. 23, 24 and 25. They were six coupled radial side tanks (0-6-2T) similar to those built in recent years and having cylinders 18-in. by 26-in., coupled wheels 4-ft. 4½-in. and radial 3-ft. 8-in. diameter.

Correspondence. 91-2

Old tank engines of the Western Railway of France. Mernok
The type of tank engines described on page 6 was first introduced in 1856. and was itself a modification of another type of engine introduced in 1855. Particulars of the latter are not available, but the 1856 engine was fully described in Armengaud Ainé's Traité' des Moteurs à Vapeur, Paris, 1861. Although these engines were, in appearance, very similar to the one illustrated, there are some differences of details which it is interesting to follow in studying the evolution of a type of engine which has been somewhat extensively used. The original engine had a dome containing a swan-neck regulator operated by a pull rod and bell crank, This was, I believe, one of the first applications of an arrangement which was extensively adopted in France until the usual English regulator was reverted to when compounds were introduced in that country. In the 1856 engine the steam pipes were. of course, in the smoke box, and the safety valves were on a small dome on the fire box.
As regards the mechanism, this design was introduced by Buddicom and Gouin, as early as 1851, in 0-4-2 mixed traffic engines, and appears to be a copy of the arrangement which had previously been in use on 6-coupled engines for the L. & N. W. and M. S. & L. Railways. This arrangement of the cylinders and valve gear has been largely reproduced in France for 2-4-0 passenger and 0-6-0 goods engines. And the forked connecting rods have for more than 35 years been a feature of inside connected French engines. The big end, illustrated by your correspondent, was used in the 1856 engines. I do not know on what authority he says that the valve gear is of the Gooch type, for in the 1850 engines as well as in the 1877, of which I possess large drawings, and also in the present 0-6-0 tank engines, which since 1885 have replaced the 2-4-0, the valve gear is of the so-called Stephenson type with box link, In the 1856 engines, as also in goods and mixed engines, the pendular link to which the push rod of the valve gear is jointed, was pivoted to the barrel of the boiler, a reprehensible practice which was done away with in the later engines, of which I have sectional drawings, dated 1877. These engines, with which I am well acquainted, were very similar to that shown in your January issue, but they (and some built or to be built later on by Kitson) were not fitted with Ramsbottom safety valves, but with one safety valve on the dome and the other on the fire box. The original engine of 1856 has only two springs to the four coupled wheels, but later on each wheel had a spring.
It should be pointed out that the type of tank engines we are considering has also been adopted by the Nord, but the regulator box and dome were separate from each other, as was usual on that French line. In every other respect the engines were similar to those of the Western Railway.
In 1868, the Eastern of France introduced also a similar type on their suburban lines from Paris-la-Bastille to Vincennes, etc. These engines had smaller coupled wheels and a different wheel base, but in other respects were similar to those of the N ord, save that at that time they, had no dome. The design of the Western of France tank engines was about 1877 modified 'by a pair of trailing carrying wheels below the firebox.' These engines were still at work on the Ouest-Etat in i 9! z .
A particular feature of the Eastern engines was that the side tanks did not, as in the Western engines, rest on the platform, but were supported above it by brackets, permitting a clear view of the mechanism, which could not be done in the Western engines, as the tanks not only rested on the platform, but extended as far as the smoke box front.
* The writer of the article will perhaps explain this, as the engines ordered in 1881 from Kitson and, I believe, from an Austrian firm, were not to be provided with Ramshottom valves.
Sirhowy Ry. 92
A correspondent writes that engines Nos. 4 and 5 were built at Vulcan Foundry in 1871 and 1863 respectively (Makers' Nos. 625 and 504).

Hownes Gill Viaduct, North Eastern Ry. 92.   illustration
The History of fhe North Eastern Ry., by W.W. Tomlinson, contains several unique illustrations. Among these is a view er Hownes Gill Viaduct, on .the Darlington and Blackhill section near Consett, which the author has been kind enough to allow us to reproduce. The illustration is taken from all old photograph in the possession of the North Eastern Railway Company, and dates from about the year 1858. The old locomotive standing on the viaduct is probably the Stockton and Darlington Ry. engine Derwent, No. 25, which is still happily preserved, and stands on a pedestal at Bank Top Station, Darlington. The Derwent is known to have been employed between Hownes Gill and' Carr House in 1852, and was also in the neighbourhood of the viaduct subsequent to 1858. * North Eastern Ry.: Its Rise and Development; published by Andrew Reid & Company, Ltd., Newcastle-on-Tyne, whose London agents were Longmans, Green & Co.

London & North Western Ry. 92
C.J. Bowen-Cooke, chief mechanical engineer of the L. & N.W.R., informs us that the arrangement of wet sanding apparatus fitted to the engine Bloodhound, referred to in our issue of March, 1914, was designed many years ago by one of-the L. & N.W. foremen,

Converted suburban carriages, Great Eastern Railway. 93. illustration
Four-wheel carriage bodies mounted upon 54ft long bogie underframes thus reducing dead weight, but not carrying capacity

Novel splice. 93. diagram
Repair of damaged timber pillars in rolling stock

Ediswan electric fans and switches. 93-4. 2 illustrations
Dimmer switches

Electric traction notes. 94

Italian three-phase electrifications.
Approximately 417 miles of track had been equipped and 300,000 horse-power capacity of three-phase locomotives were already in service or on order. The electrified portion of the Giovi incline of the Turin and Genoa line is 14.4 miles long, and has six miles at 1 in 36 although for 1½ miles it is as steep as 1 in 29. On this line there is practically a 10 minutes train service. The regeneration of electrical energy when going down grade has had a considerable influence in the selection of the system. The actual saving in energy is not however such an important consideration, but the accompanying braking effect, with a corresponding reduction in brake-shoe wear, and the reduction of capital expenditure of the power-house are considerable advantages. Some trouble has however occurred in the working of the new locomotives, due to the rheostats, and also from the supply of energy from various sources with different frequencies. Probably the old steam service will be resumed for a time.

Pennsylvania Railroad
The 21 mile:electrification of the Pennsylvania Railroad's Philadelphia suburban service (mentioned in this Journal some six months ago) from Broad Street Station to Paoli is nearly ready for service. This installation was made to afford relief at the congested Broad Street Station. It is anticipated that the existing suburban track facilities will be increased ,8 per cent., and the total station facilities 8 per cent., due to electrification .

Norlolk & Western Railway
The Norlolk & Western Railway's electrification was in operation. Each locomotive weighed 270,tons, 220 tons of which were on the driving wheels. Eleven electric locomotives had displaced 33 steam locomotives. The electric locomotives haul the heavy coal trains at a speed of about 14 miles per hour, compared with 7 miles per hour for the Mallet steam locomotives.

Note on old Stephenson locomotive, Sirhowy Ry. 94.
In the account of the old Sirhowy Ry. which appeared in January issue, we stated that the old locomotive illustrated by Fig. 1, page, 0, was apparently provided with separate steam and exhaust valve chests. A correspondent has pointed out that reference to the original longitudinal elevation of this engine, preserved at South Kensington, indicates that the valve chests are really shown in alternative positions; and there was therefore one valve chest only to each cylinder in the actual engine. We are obliged to our correspondent for calling our attention to this point.

Reviews. 95

Modern British permanent way. Cecil J. Allen. Railway News
Outlines chapter contents: notes many illustrations. Reprinted from a series of articles  which appeared in The Railway News, but the subject matter has, been completely recast and added to in order to bring- the information to date. So far as we are aware, this book constitutes the first.attempt to deal with the principles underlying the design of the various details of which the track is composed, and to describe their manufacture. It is intended for the use, as a work of reference, of those engaged in the design of permanent way, and the drawing up of specifications, who are but imperfectly acquainted with the possibilities and limitations of manufacture. The first chapters deal with. steel rails, and go exhaustivel)' into the history and development of rail sections, the chemical composition of rail steel, and the rolling and inspection of rails. Chapters IV. and V. are devoted to fishplates and fish bolts ; Chapters VI. and VI: to the design and manufacture of cast- iron chairs; and Chapters VIll. and IX. to chair keys and fastenings In Chapters X. and XI. the selection of timber for sleepers, and their preparation and preservative treatment are gone into; while Chapter XII. deals with ballast. Chapter XIII. is occupied with descriptions of rail-joints, creep, and the spacing of sleepers. The second half of the book is devoted to switches and crossings, of which numerous types are illustrated and described. Chapters XIV. and XV. deal with switches; XVI. with three-throw switches and XVII, XVIII., and XIX. with crossings. III Chapter XX. some modern examples of slip road and scissors crossing construction are given, while XXI. is devoted to manganese steel points and crossings. Numerous illustrations are given of the practice of British railway companies, the drawings numbering 150, and in order that these may be as clear as possible, the book has been made 10 in. by 8 in. These are supplemented by fifty photographs, illustrating the processes of manufacture.

Oxy-acetylene welding and cutting. Calvin F. Swingle. Chicago: F. J. Drake & Co.

Railway Club. 96.
G.W.J. Potter to talk about Some early railway maps on 11 May 1915.

Number 273 (15 May 1915)

0-8-4 superheater tank locomotive, Great Indian Peninsula Ry. 97. illustration
North British Locomotive Co. supplied to S.J. Sarjant's requirements for service on the Ghauts (Ghats) inclines: 1724ft2 evaporative heating surface plus 436ft2 superheat and 32ft2 grate area; ft2 22 x 26in cylinders and 4ft 3in coupled wheels

London & North Western Ry. 97
Precursor class 4-4-0 No. 1137 Vesuvius fitted with superheater; No. 1243 4-cylinder compound 0-8-0 converted to simple with larger boiler; Experiment 4-6-0 rebuilt as four-cyliner compound with Marshall valve gear. No. 788, 4ft 6in tank engine fitted with motor gear had its feed pump and condensing gear removed and an injector fitted

Princess Christian's hospital train. 98-100. 3 illustrations. plan
Twelve coach train built by Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Co. Ltd. in association with British Red Cross Society  and the advice of Sir John Furley and W.J. Fieldhouse

4-6-0 type engines for the Central Africa Ry. 100. illustration
Supplied by R.. & W. Hawthorn Leslie &  Co. Ltd to requirements and supervision of Gregory, Eyles and Waring consulting engineers

New Zealand Government Rys, 100
Order pllaced for ten locomotives from Baldwin Locomotive Works costing £3229 each as compared with £4780 from lowest British bidder

The Ottoman (Aidin) Ry. 101-2. 2 illustrations
Locomotives: 0-8-2T supplied by Robert Stephenson & Co. Ltd (three supplied in 1911) and 0-6-02T for suburban traffic in Smyrna. At time traffic interupted by Dardanelles campaign during WW1.

Darjeeling Himilayan Ry. extensions. 102-3. diagram
4-6-0 tender locomotives for working Kissengunge-Motigora section which ran alongside the frontier with Nepal. The branch of 17.5 miles up the Teesta Valley was incomplete due to the lack of  bridging materials. New workshops at Tindharia. Diagram shows mail train for the Darjeeling trains.

Cusack & Morton's patent superheater. Midland Great Western Ry. 103-5. 2 illustrations, 2 diagrams.
Fitted to 0-6-0 No. 99 Cambria: includes notes of performance by this locomotive between North Wall and Mullingar on fast freight train.

North British Ry. 105
Six Wheatley 2-4-0 of the 418 had been rebuilt for second time at Cowlairs Works with new boilers and square cabs: Nos. 429, 1239, 1245, 1246, 1247 and 1249. No. 359 Dick Hatteraick, non-superheated Scott class had been fitted with a Weir feed pump and feed water heater and a Wakefield mechanical lubricator..

2-8-0 locomotive, series 745, Italian State Railways. 105-8. 3 illustrations, 2 diagrams (including side elevation)
Inside cylinders activated by external valve gear and valves; special strong crank axle with Frémont crank discs and modified Zara trucks. Locomotives were intended for fast freights carrying perishable goods and required light axle loads..

E.L. Ahrons. The early Great Western standard gauge engines. 108-10. 7 diagrams (side elevations)

The Cork and Muskerry Light Railway. 110-13. 6 illustrations

The work and organization of the locomotive, carriage and wagon departments of a small railway. 114-16. 4 illustrations
Lathes: semi-automatic capstan; arrangement for making locomotive stays and apprentice. Beyer Peacock link grinding machine

Great Eastern Ry. 116.
Two  bays of a new carriage paint shop at High Meads, Statford had been completed

A. Stock. Forging and smithing. 116-18. 3 diagrams

South Manchurian Ry. 118
First standard gauge locomotive to be designed and built by Japanese engineers at Shahokou near Dairen: five further were in hand plus six tank engines for the Korean Government Rys.

South Eastern & Chatham Ry. 118
Hull & Barnsley 0-6-0 goods engines weere working on loan.

Audible signals for railways. 119. 2 illustrations
Parker patent fog signal place manufactured Mackenzie & Holland Ltd

Great Eastern Ry, staff changes. 120
As from  12 April several alterations were made in the duties of various officials of this line. A.J. Hill, locomotive engineer, gave up the supervision of the drivers, firemen and running staff generally, and was designated Chief Mechanical Engineer. F.V. RusseIl, of the locomotive department, had been appointed head of the operating or A section of the Chief· Traffic Manager's department with the title of Superintendent of Operation having charge of all matters relating to the movement of the traffic, under W.C. May. the Chief Traffic Manager. He controlled the operating, coaling, watering, oiling, cleaning. etc., of locomotives, carriages, wagons and motors. the compilation of time tables, train control, etc., his staff consisting of drivers, firemen, cleaners, guards, signalmen, etc. T.W. Watts, Goods Manager of the Ipswich district, put in charge of section B of the Chief Traffic Manager's department, with the title of Commercial Superintendent; dealt with all commercial matters, goods and passenger, including season tickets, and his office was at Liverpool Street station. H. Wilmer, formerly designated engineer, was now called Chief Civil Engineer..

Number 274 (15 June 1915)

Superheated goods engine with feed water apparatus, Great Eastern Ry. 121. illustration
No. 1240 illustrated

The Gretna railway accident. 121-2.
Account written and published before the full extent of the disaster known and contains several errors: notably Meechan rather than Meakin (the man who had failed to place a collar on the signal lever and had coerced in the irregular end of his shift and Tinsley taking over); also Quintin's Hill rather than Quintinshill

Converted superheater 4-4-0 express engine, L. & S.W.R. 122. illustration
No. 464 illustrated: equipped with extended smokebox and Estleigh superheater and Drummond water-tubes in firebox removed by Urie

London & North Western Ry, 122
A new series of George the Fifth 4-4-0 would be started at Crewe Works.  Precursor 4-4-0 No. 1617 Hydra had been fitted with a superheater and piston valves; and the steam brake had been removed. No. 1710, a 4-6-2T, had been fitted with a superheater. 8ft 6in single Cornwall had been fitted with an injector in place of the vacuum pump. 4ft 6in tank No. 1365 had been adapted for motor train working. One of the 0-4-2 crane engines had been fitted with a cab similar to that on No. 3001.

Express goods engines, G. N. R. 123. illustration
No. 73 illustrated: notes 5ft 8in coupled wheels and impressive size

North Western State Railway (India). 123. illustration
2ft 6in gauge 2-4-2T locomotives built by W.G. Bagnall Ltd. for the Coronation Durban Camp at Delhi in 1911 being transported to Bombay for use as part of the WW1 War effort

Obituary. 123
E.J. Dunstan died in 1915 aged 51. Locomotive Superintendent of the Shanghai Nanking Railway. Formerly with the locomotive department of the London & South Western Railway at Exeter and Nine Elms.

Somerset & Dorset Ry. 123.
Six 2-8-0 locomotives built at Derby numbered 80-5 were working into Bath.

2-6-4 tank locomotive, Eastern Bengal State Ry. 124. illustration, diagram (side elevation)
Kitson & Co. Ltd of Leeds supplied four inside-cylinder engines with 5ft 1½ coupled wheels; 20 x 26in cylinders, total evaporative heating surface 1086.77ft2 plus 218.4ft2 superheat. Belpaire firebox. Grate area 25.3ft2.

Jubilee of the Highland Ry. 124
Act of Parliament 29 June 1865.

4-6-4 tank locomotive for suburban service, Grand Trunk Ry. of Canada. 125-6. illustration, 4 diagrams (including side elevation)
For suburban services from Montreal Bonaventure station to St. Henry, Lachine, Pointe Claire, Vaudrieul et St. Hyacinthe six locomotives supplied by Montreal Locomotive Works with a boiler with a Gaines combustion chamber and a Security brick arch to enhance heating efficiency and smoke conbustion. Baker valve gear, special valve stem guides and tail rods.

E.L. Ahrons. The early Great Western standard gauge engines. Section VI — Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Ry. 127-9. 5 diagrams including 4 side elevation drawings

Recent electric locomotives on the Italian State Rys. 129-30. 2 illustrations

The Highland Ry. and its locomotives. 131-4. 5 illustrations

Number 275 (15 July 1915)

New tank engines, Furness Ry. 145-6. 2 illustrations
4-4-2T: No. 38 and 0-6-0T No. 51 illustrated.

Calcutta-Madras Mail trains, Bengal Nagpur Ry. 146. illustration
Four-cylinder de Glehn compound 4-4-2

Hull and Barnsley Ry. 146
Ten 0-6-0 ordered: five from Yorkshire Engine Co.; five from Kitson & Co. Ltd: latter fitted with Schmidt superheaters.

4-6-0 express locomotive, New South Wales Government Railways. 147-8. illustration, diagram (side elevation)
Designed by E.E. Lucy, Chief Mechanical Engineer. NN class. Belpaire boiler. Built Eveleigh Works. Designed for 784 miles Sydney to Albury round trip.

London & North-Western Ry. 148.
New George the Fifth 4-4-0: Nos. 363 Llandudno, 789 Windermere, 984 Carnarvon. Five further Precursor type modified with superheaters and piston valves.

Oil as fuel on locomotives. 149-53. 6 illustrations, 3 diagrams.

E.L. Ahrons. The early Great Western standard gauge engines. Section VI—Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton Ry. 155-7. 6 diagrams (side elevations)
Fig. 97 shows 0-6-0BT built by E.B. Wilson RN 47-50; GWR 231-4. Ahrons considered that of a type supplied to collieries in North of England and also exported to Belgium, but otherwise not used on main line railways. Fig. 98 shows a very light 2-2-2WT, one of two supplied Stephenson & Co. in 1859: WN 1197-8 which  carried WMR RN 52-3 and became GWR 223-4. They had commodious cabs, dome covers of a type fitted to locomotives supplied to Egypt; 12 x 20in outside cylinders; 5ft 6in driving wheels and 689ft2 total heating surface. No. 52 was originally named Ben Johnson and worked the Chipping Norton branch. No. 53 was known by the staff as Mrs Johnson. Fig. 99 shows one of the two Matthew Kirtley Derby-built 0-6-0 engines acquired by the OWWR in April 1860 and numbered 54 and 55, subsequently GWR Nos. 280 and  281. Two 0-6-0 were supplied by Kitson in 1860: these were similar to Sacre locomotives on the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire (Fig. 100). Two Stephenson WN 1328-9/1860 were RN 58/9,m subsequently GWR 294/5. No. 295 was broken up in 1883 but No. 294 "like Charley's Anvil was still running" as No. 47. Figs. 101 and 102 show as built and as perpetuated.

Number 276 (14 August 1915)

New passenger engines—Great Northern Ry. of Irealnd. 169-70. illustration, diagram (side elevation)
Glover 4-4-0 Class U built by Beyer Paecock built for Dundalk-Enniskillen-Bundoran and Omagh services

Converted locomotive—Beira, Mashonaland & Rhodesian Rys. 170-1. 2 illustrations, diagram (side elevation)
4-8-0 converted to 4-8-2T for shunting: work done at Umtalia Workshops under direction of W.J. Hosgood.

Superheater goods locomotive—Hull & Barnsley Ry. 172. illustration, diagram (side elevation)
Class LS 0-6-0 supplied by Kitson & Co. to requirements of Matthew Stirling, locomotive engineer.

The Highland Ry. and its locomotives. 173-5. 5 illustrations

Some past and present Russian locomotives. 176-80. 7 diagrams (including 3 side elevations)
See letter from W.T. Hoecker in Volume 38 p. 380

E.L. Ahrons. The early Great Western standard gauge engines VII. The Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford Railway. 180-2.   7 diagrams (side elevations) 
Owned 4 tender passenger locomotives; 17 tender goods locomotives; 2 heavy banking locomotives;  and 3 miscellaneous locomotives.  Fig. 104 shows Dodds & Co. of Rotherham 0-4-2 No. 20 which became West Midland Railway No. 90 and GWR No. 194 which added a saddle tank in 1872. No. 21 was an 0-4-2 but was rebuilt as an 0-4-0ST at the Newport Works under the superintendence of Macdonald in 1860. It became WMR No. 91 and GWR No. 195. 0-4-2 No. 22 became WMR No. 92 and GWR No, 227. It was fitted with an injector in 1861 whilst at Pontypool Road, the first WMR locomotive to be so fitted. In was sold to the Bishop's Castle Railway in 1870. The goods locomotives were built by E.B. Wilson (Fig. 107). They had a a strong influence of Archibald Sturrock 0-4-2 bult for the GNR. The two banking locomotives were built by E.B. Wilson WN 512 and 513 (Fig. 108) were 0-6-0 tanks with the water underneath and at the rear. They were originally Nos. 7 and 8 and intended for the Llanhilleth branch. They became WMR 77 and 78 and GWR Nos. 235 and 236 and banked coal trains at Pontypool Road. The four 2-4-0 passenger engines: E.B. Wilson WN 491 WMR RN 190; WN 501 RN 192; WN 545 RN 193. There is iuncertainty about their original running numbers, but they were named Antelope, Elk, Gazelle and Reindeer: they were rebuilt at Wolverhampton in the 1870s and around 1890. Figs. 109 and 110 shows them after rebuilding.  

A. Stock. Forging and smithing. 182-4.           

The work and organization of a small railway. 184-5.

Number 277 (15 September 1915)

New tank engines, L. B. & S. C. Ry.  193. illustration 
Five six-coupled side tank engines (0-6-0T) were additions to the locomotive stock of the L.B. & S.C.R. The first of these, No. 105, was finished, and is illustrated in the accompanying photograph, for which we are indebted to L.B. Billinton, Locomotive Engineer of the L.B.. & S.C.R. These engines are identical with the first five of the series, Class E2, one of which was illustrated and described in our issue of September, 1913, with the following exceptions: -The side tanks have been carried forward, thus giving a water capacity of 1,256 gallons, as compared with 1,090 gallons for the earlier series. The frames. have been lengthened slightly, the length over buffers being 33-ft. 3-in., while the .total weight in full working order is 53 tons 12 cwt. The engines were being built at the Brighton Works.

London & North-Western Ry. 193
The latest engines of the 4-4-0 George the Fifth type built at Crewe were Nos. 1086 Conway, 2106 Holyhead and 2370 Dovedale and completed a series of ten engines, all running: they were provided with the vacuum brake only. No. 8 was first of a new series of 0-8-2 shunting tanks put in hand at Crewe. Another of the 4-ft. 6-in 2-4-2 passenger tanks had been adapted for motor train work, No. 2514. This engine could be so used when running either way. No. 1638, one of the original non-superheater 4-6-2 tanks, had been provided with the Schmidt superheater and piston valves. Two further 5-ft. compound goods engines (1400 class) had been withdrawn from service, Nos. 173 and 2063.

Great Western Ry. 193
A new engine shed was opened in June at Ebbw Junction, Newport (Mon.), to replace the old shed at Newport (High Street). The 4-4-0 engine BruneI had number changed from 16 to 4169. New engines of the 4301 class, 2-6-0: Nos.  4366 and 4367.

Midland Ry. 193
No. 1003 (late No. 2633) one of the five original three-cylinder compound engines put into service by S.W. Johnson in 1901, had the cut-away splashers and larger cab, and was similar in every respect to the later Deeley design. The work of equipping superheaters to the older 4-4-0 locomotives was still proceeding at Derby, and one of the latest to be so treated was No. 711, statioried at Kentish Town. There was at Derby an old Kirtley double-framed 2-4-0 passenger engine, which has never been re-numbered, and still bore the number 500a. It was painted black, and when last seen by our correspondent, was in a somewhat dilapidated condition, bemg minus coupling rods and having a tender belonging to one of the old double-framed 0-6-0 engines.

Great Central Ry. 193
The latest 2-6-4 tanks bore Nos. 336-9, and were painted the standard black colour. Engines previously having fhese numbers were now on the duplicate Iist, and had the letter B affixed to them. The large 2-8-0 mineral engines were working. through to London with heavy coal trains.

Great Northern Ry. 193-4
The 0-4-4 bogie tank engines, Nos. 822, 828 and 939, have been rebuilt with new boilers with domes. No. 1115, one of Ivatt's earlier goods engines of 1899, had been rebuilt with a large boiler similar to I163. The four 0-6-0 express goods engines, with 5-ft. 8-in. wheels, Nos. 1 to 4, which had been stationed at Colwick for some years, to work the express goods trains to Manchester had been removed, Nos. 1, 2 and 3 to London, and 4 to Manchester. Nos. 5 and 6 of this class remain at Colwick. For. the London express goods trains three of the 1630 class (2-6-0) were stationed at Colwick, and the great majority of' the new 0-6-0 superheater engines, Nos. 561 to 589, for the coal trains. In 1902 ten Stirling 0-4-2 mixed traffic engines were rebuilt by Mr. Ivatt with domed boilers, and for many years these were the only engines of the class to be so treated, but Nos. 582a and I04 of the same class had been similarly rebuilt. No. 1315, 4-4-0, of the 1071 class, had been rebuilt with a large boiler Most of the 2-4-0 engines borrowed by the S.E. & CR had been returned to the Great Northern.

North-Eastern Ry. 194
Two electric locomotive: commenced to run betweer Shildon and Newport as from 1 July with mineral traffic for Middlesborough.

Federated Malay States Rys. 194
A.W.S. Greame Manager of the· Inverurie Shops of the Great North ol Scotland Ry., appointed Deputy Locomotive Carriage & Wagon Supt. of these railways, with headquarters at Kuala Lumpur.

Combined shunting & crane loco, Great Indian Peninsula Ry. 194. illustration
For use at the new carriage works at Matunga near Bombay, the Great Indian Peninsula Ry procured a combined shunting and crane locomotive. By the courtesy of th: builders, the Vulcan Foundry, Ltd., of Newton le-Willows; we are able to illustrate the engine It is of the six-coupled side tank type, with outside cylinders, having slide valves actuated by Walschaert valve gear. The jib of the crane was. pivotted on the bunker, giving a very good weight distribution.

Rebuilt express engine, London & S.W. Railway. 195. illustration     
No. 421 rebuilt by Urie with a superheater, but retained its slide valves and 16 x 26in cylinders. 175 psi boiler pressure. 1154ft2 evaporative heating surface plus 195ft2 ssuperheater. Sight feed lubricator and tube cleaner fitted. The engine had 6ft 7in coupled wheels and had  been involved in Salisbury accident.

Stowe Hill accident, L. & N.W.R. 195.
Saturday 14 August 1915: the right hand coupling rod broke on locomotive No. 1489 Wolfhound when hauling the 08.45 express from Birmingham and this fouled the 08.30 express from Euston double headed by 2-4-0 No. 1189 Stewart and 4-4-0 No. 1974 Euryalus, both of which were derailed. Ten passengers were killed and twenty were injured.

Glasgow & South Western Ry. 195.
Six new express 4-4-0 engines had left Kilmarnock Works: Nos. 137, 138, 139, 140, 151 and 152. They had 19½ x 28in cylinders and 6ft coupled wheels.

The Ravenglass and Eskdale Ry. 196. 2 illustrations
The former 3ft 6in gauge railway had reopened on the 15 inch gauge as far as Muncaster. The photographs show the disparity between the Bassett Lowke Atlantics and the rails and in one photograph the former rolling stock is still visible.

The Shanghai-Nanking Ry. 197-9. 4 illustrations, diagram (side & front elevations)
Opened 28 March  1905: ran along Yangtse River Valley. Standard gauge. Used flat botom rail, Table lists four main classes: 4-6-2T, 4-60, 4-4-0 and 2-4-2T (side & front elevation diagrams for last).

Gt. Eastern Ry. 199
4-4-0 Nos. 1896 and 1898 rebuilt with Belpaire boilers with Robinson superheaters, new cabs and with vacuum brake removed. No. 1021 had been fitted with a boiler with dome near to the chimney off a 2-4-0 tender engine

E.L. Ahrons. The early Great Western standard gauge engines VIII.— West Midland Ry. 200-1. 5 diagrams (side elevations) 
Twelve Matthew Kirtley 0-6-0 were supplied by William Fairbairn & Son of Manchester of type supplied to the Midland Railway: running numbers: 60-7; 70; 97-9. GWR Nos. 282-92. They had 5ft 2in wheels, later reduced to 5ft by GWR and 16 x 24in cylinders. Fig. 100 shows one in its original state and Fig. 111 as running on GWR. They worked at Worcester and were broken up at Swindon between 1883 and 1887.  In 1864 two Beyer Peacock 2-4-0T WN 205 and 238 were purchased and received Numbers 68/9, subsequently GWR 225-6. They had 15 x 20in cylinders, 5ft couplred wheels; 820ft2 total heating surface; they worked on the line from Honeybourne to Stratford-upon-Avon and between Malvern Wells and Worcester. Beyer Peacock supplied 2-2-2 WN 245-50 with 6ft 6in driving wheels; 16 x 20in cylinders and 1035ft2 total heating surface; WN 245-50. They became WMR Nos. 100-5 and GWR Nos. 209-14. They worked fast trains between Wolverhampton, Worcester and Oxford over the West Midland route. Fig. 114 shows Beyer Peacock supplied 2-4-0 WMR Nos. 1006-111, subsequently GWR Nos. 196-201 which worked between Wolverhampton and Worcester, and Hereford and Newport. They had 6ft coupled wheels and 16 x 20in cylinders. Fig. 115 shows Wolverhampton rebuilds of Nos. 196 and 200 which were fitted swith slightly larger bouilers.

The Rhymney Ry. and its engines. 201-2. 2 illustrations (line drawings)
Painted Brunswick green. 120 locomotives excluding duplicates. Freight locomotives were fitted with Eames non-continuous vacuum brake. Vulcan Foundry supplied 0-6-0 Numbers 1 to 6 in 1857. These had 16 x 24in cylinders, 14.5ft2 grate area and 1106ft2  total heating surface. They were reboilered, fitted with Ramsbottom safety valves and cabs in place of weatherboards.

H.T. Wright. Piston speed in relation to train speed. 203-4. 2 diagrams
Makes extesive use of Dalby's ICE Paper 3577

Locomotive crank axles. 204; 205. diagram, table
Dimensions given for many companies.

A. Stock. Forging and smithing. 206-8. 3 diagrams
Bell cranks, cost of stamping in dies, Brett's steam stamps, heating of steel, tempering

Highland Ry. 208
Branch line from Keith to Buckie and Portessie closed to all traffic on 7 August 1915

The fire protection of trains. 208-11. 4 illustrations, 2 diagrams
Includes diagram of a firefighting locomotive and a magnifiscent motor road fire engine for Southampton Docks, London & South Western Railway; also collapsible buckets and chemical extinguishers..

Lancashire & Yorkshire Ry. ambulance train for the Continent. 212-15. 5 illustrations, plan
The plan is spread over more than one page.. Train extended to sixteen coaches. Illustrations include exterior (painted khaki); and interiors of pharmacy, kitchen and ward cars with cots raised and lowered

Great Northern Ry. Cuffley to Stevenage new line. 215. illustration
Article on contractors' locomotives for this line see Volume 20 p. 240. Illustration of  0-4-2 narrow gauge locomotive working on section north of Hertford near short tunnel just after crossing of River Bean. Ponsbourne Tunnel had been completed.

[Periscope to assist signalmen]. 215
Rose Street Junction signal cabin, Inverness, was fitted with a periscope to enable the signals to the north to be seen.

London & South Western Ry. 215
New concourse opened. In a prominent position one of the original Bodmin & Wadebridge Railway was displayed on its original stone block permanent way

Number 278 (15 October 1915)

Great Northern Ry four-cylinder engine No. 279. 217-18. illustration, diagram (side elevation) 
Gresley rebuild of Ivatt 2-cylinder locomotive with 15 x 26 in cylinders; the inside cylinders being actuated by rocking shafts from the outside Walschaerts gear

Tank locomotive (2-ft gauge) for the Metropolitan Water Board. 218-19. illustration, diagram (side & front elevations)
Kerr Stuart 0-4-2T to work system at Hampton-on-Thames which had steep gradients and sharp curves. Locomotives were named Sunbury (illustrated), Hampton (shown in diagram) and Kempton

Pechot locomotives for France. 220. illustration
100 being supplied by Baldwin Locomotive Works. Design introduced in 1888

Obituary. 220,
Malcolm G.S. Blane killed in action in France on 25/6 September 1915. Educated at Eton College and Christ Church, Oxford. where he graduated in engineering science. He served in the Cameron Highlanders and died aged 22. His knowledge of the Highland Railway found expression in the serial articles published in the Locomotive Mag.

The Highland Ry. and its locomotives. 229-32. 4 illustrations, diagram (side elevation)  


Number 279 (15 November 1915)

Closing of the Redruth & Chacewater Railway. 243. illustration
Illustration of 0-6-0T Miner. Smelter and Spitfire are also mentioned: all were supplied by Neilson & Co.

The first railway in Iceland. 244. illustration   
About 6 km long, 90 cm gauge designed to convey materials to harbour works in Reykjavik. Tow 0-4-0Ts named Minor and Pioneer built in Germany by Arnold Jung & Co. in 1892. Railway opened on 17 April 1913.

Number 280 (15 December 1915)    

New locomotives, Metropolitan Ry. 265. illustration  
Built by Yorkshire Engine Co., 0-6-4T designed by C. Jones . No. 94 Lord Aberconway illustrated.   

New tank locomotives, Great North of Scotland Ry. 266. illustration    
Manning Wardle 0-4-2T for work in Aberdeen harbour.       

Combined rack and rail compound locomotive for the Furka Railway (Switzerland). 269. illustration   2-6-0T built Société Suisse at Wintherthur using Abt system for rack sections  ;

The Highland Ry. and its locomotives. 272-5.. 5 illustrations, diagram (side elevation)