Backtrack 1989: Volume 3

Index page Previous Volume Number 1 Number 2 Number 3 Number 4 Number 5 Next volume

Number 1 (Spring)

Battle of Britain 34086 on Golden Arrow in 1960. K.R. Pirt (phot). front cover.

Blue Pullman in Sonning Cutting in 1960. Peter Hughes (phot). inset front cover.

Change of driver: editorial. Nigel Trevena. 1.
Comment on excellent standards set by some publishers; thanks to assistance from contributors and handover to David Jenkinson

Last of steam on the Eastern [Region] .4.
Colour photo-feature: N7/3 69725 at Liverpool Street by Roy Hobbs and J15 65469 on Norwich Shed by R.C. Riley.

The Great Eastern in the 1930s. Stanford Jacobs. 5-10.
Motive power, signalling and level crossings, plus the relative lack of LNER influence. Illustrations include D15/2 8868 passing Chesterton Junction, by G.H. Soole; B12/1 8510 with ACFI feedwater heater passing Stratford; F5 7232 and N7 987 at Liverpool Street; F5 7233 arriving Enfield Town with Quadart sets; G4 8139 at Saffron Walden, by J.G. Dewing; F3 8069 at Trumpington, by as prev.; B17 2822 on Flushing Continental near Shenfield, by R.C. Riley; E4 7490 on Mildenhall train at Cambridge, by A.C.W. Mace; F3 8065 in Cambridge station, by J.G. Dewing); C1 3297 on Cambridge Shed, by as prev.; D13 8020 in Cambridge Station, by R.C. Riley. See also correspondence: page 92 by Charles Bayes which contains errata and addenda and (on page 190) from J. Watling quoting longevity of four-wheel stock on North Woolwich services.

Bromyard: a Great Western rural station. William H. Smith. 11-14.
The Worcester, Bromyard & Leominster Railway Act was passed on 1 August 1861. Financial assitance was obtained from the West Midland Railway. Some work started in 1864, but thye contractor went bankrupt. The line was opened to Yearsett on 2 May 1874, but this was still 3 miles from Bromyard. On 22 October 1877 the railkway reached Bromyard. The GWR absorbed the railway on 1 July 1888, but before then a line from Leominster to Steens Bridge had been opened and this was extended to Bromyard on 1 March 1897. Leominster to Bromyard was closed on 15 September 1952 and the line to Worcester closed on 7 September 1964. Illus.: Bromyard c1900; construction of an overbridge in 1897; map of the Worcester, Bromyard and Leominster railway; Three views of the station c 1910; LNE class J25 on loan during the duration of the war at Bromyard in 1940; The cattle feeds warehouse and delivery vans in Bromyard goods yard; The station staff in the war years, mainly female; Bromyard station from the 1904 OS map; Class 57xx taking on water in 1959; Nearly the end! a diesel unit and platform staff in 1964; The SLS pays its respects in 1958; Locomotives illustrated include GWR 0-4-2T 517; LNER J25 2075 in 1940, by Selwyn Pearce-Higgins; 57XX 3605, by P.J. Garland; 4571 on SLS special, by G.F. Bannister

Stony Stratford Tramway. Allan Edwards. 15-20.
History of steam tramway which ran from Wolverton to Stony Stratford. Many abortive atempts were made to connect  the two settlements. The Wolverton and Stony Startford District Light Railway was incorporated on 5 October 1886. It was promoted by Charles Herbert Wilkinson, inspected by Gen Hutchinson in May 1887 and opened on 17 May. Krauss steam engines were used with cars from the Midland Carriage & Wagon Works. It was extended to Old Stratford and went into voluntary liquidation on 4 September 1889. A syndicate led by Samuel Leon took over the original section on 20 November 1891 and the company became known as the Wolverton & Stony Stratford & District Tramways Company from 15 September 1893. An engine was acquired from Brush but the bulk of the work was performed by tramway engines from Thomas Green & Son (the author is rather vague about motive power and rolling stock). Bus competition was severe prior to WW1 and it was eventually acquired by LNWR in 1919 (it carried workmen to the carriage works at Wolverton), and was briefly part of LMS and was a casualty of the General Strike. illus.: Bagnall saddle tank at Stony Stratford; Krauss tram engine in 1888; Billy Newton, the long serving conductor, leaves the tram at Stony Stratford post-1923; A Krauss tram engine in 1888 with an 80 seater car; road crossing point near Stony Stratford; entire rolling stock c. 1910; view outside the main LNW works entrance in Wolverton; Green engine and two 100 seater cars outside the Forester's Arms Stony Stratford; Plan of railway and tramway layouts of Wolverton works and town; Wolverton Rd. Stony Stratford; late view in Stony Stratford.

Blue Pullman. M. Mensing (phot.). 21.
Colour photo-feature: Western Region sets at Acock's Green, Birmingham and at Solihull in 1961

Scottish industrials. 22.
Colour photo-feature.: Hudswell Clarke 895 0-6-0T, NCB 9, at Bedlay Colliery, Glenboig, by Derek Huntriss and Andrew Barclay No. 1 Dalluaine at Dalluaine Distillery, by J.C. Gilks

Water's edge. 23.
Colour photo-feature: Castle class 4037 near Teignmouth in 1961, by W. Potter; Cannon Street Station in 1957, by R.C. Riley and Mallaig Harbour in 1959, by Peter Tatlow.

Famous four. 24-5.
Colour photo-feature.: Rebuilt MN 35021 near Beaulieu Road by R.H. Leslie and 46201 (green) on parcels train near Morecambe South Junction; 6029 on Cambrian Coast Express near top of Hatton Bank in 1961; 60144 near High Dyke - all K.R. Pirt)

Cranes. 26.
Colour photo-feature: 64618 outside Elie Station with Thornton Junction breakdown crane, by Roy Hobbs; 15 ton Cowans Sheldon crane in permanent way yard, Leeman Road, York, by Peter Tatlow; 2 ton crane built at Kirkstall Forge at Ryde Works, by J.D. Gomersall

Multiple units. 27.
Colour photo-feature: Class 104 DMU at Buxton on train for Millers Dale in 1967, by A. Tyson and EMU 4506 in Clapham cutting on 24 May 1958, by R.C. Riley

In Wales. 28.
Colour photo-feature: 4132 at Tenby Station in 1959, by Martin Welch and Crumlin Viaduct in 1962, by M. Mensing

Railway archaeology: the Canterbury & Whitstable Railway. Michael Page. 29-32.
Line was opened on 3 May 1830 and much survived in use until 1952. 28 illustrations show what was visible some time before article published. Letter (3-92) by Cooper states that illustration 25 captioned as "high culvert" should be "occupation" and cites Ratcliffe: The Canterbury & Whitstable Railway.

Steam to Killin. Malcolm Roughley. 33-8.
The railway was promoted by the local laird, the Marquis of Breadalbane to connect the Callander & Oban Railway with Killin village and the steamer services on Loch Tay. The first meeting took place in August 1882 and the contractor was a Mr Macdonald of Skye who greatly under-estimated the cost. John Strain was the Engineer and he proposed concrete for the bridge spanning the River Dochart. The line opened in March 1886, and the Killin Railway Company remained independent until the 1923 grouping. and did not close until 1965 when the whole of the C&O line close south of Crianlarich. Illus. (b&w): 0-4-4 T 55195 arriving from the Loch Tay direction; Caledonian Killin 'Pug' 1263 0-4-2ST in 1910; timetable 1957; CR 'Jumbo' 0-6-0 57450 at Killin Junction; The terminus at Loch Tay in 1931 with CR 0-4-4T as LMS 15103; train about to leave Killin Junction behind Caledonian 0-4-4T 55195; crew of 2-6-4T 80093 pose at Killin Junction; gradient profile (1 in 50) for branch; Killin station from the road; Killin station from the track; standard tank 80126 at Killin; 80126 waits in the yard at Killin; Loch Tay station (phots: Peter Hay, H.C. Casserley; J. Kernahan). Letter re "Glenmutchkin Railway" by David Hamilton on page 92 which also mentions John Thomas's Callander and Oban Railway. See colour photfeature Volume 9 page 481.

Automatic train control. 39.
extract from Great Western Railway's General Appendix to the Rule Book

The Hadley Wood widening. Tom Middlemass. 40-3.
Instigated by BTC in 1953, but LNER had acquired land in 1930s (GNR had considered extending High Barnet branch to obviate bottleneck and considered widenings from 1875 onwards, but stalling in face of cost. Work began in 1955 (without closing entire East Coast route for more than hours) and was completed in early 1959. llus. by F.C. le Manquais: illus.: four track gives way to two in 1953; continuation in May 1959; start of rail realigning in April 1959; three views of the new Hadley Wood south tunnel; old Hadley Wood south tunnel in 1949; track diagrams of the widening progress; two views of the new Hadley Wood north tunnel; views of  work in progress including the extensive narrow gauge railway used in the new tunnels to remove clay, and the final result (including immediate post electrification; locomotives illustrated include 60013 Dominion of Canada on Tees/Tyne Pullman; 60062 Minoru; 60824; 60028 Walter K. Whigham on Flying Scotsman, and 60107 Royal Lancer. Feature inspired interesting letter from Davidge concerning Potters Bar accident of 1946 (3-92)

Colour files. 45.
Col. illus.: Uffculme Station, by Roy Hobbs and 72009 Clan Stewart with green cylinder covers at Carlisle Kingmoor in September 1962 by G. Rixon (further information from R.F. Smith on page 94 and from P. Smith on workings in England.

Letters. 46
Tank wagons. Peter Erwood.
Adds a considerable amount of information to article by D.P. Rowland (2-156): suggests Royal Daylight tank wagons found in model form (but not noted on full-scale railways) may have been an advertising ploy by Royal Daylight with Hornby. Private owner liveries lasted through WW2 on many vehicles, including some tank wagons. Notes on "pool" tank wagons. Bogie fuel tanks were received from USA during WW2 and stored in various locations until required on mainland Europe. Notes on milk tank wagons, old tenders used for creosote and weedkillers "stored at Blackheath" See letter from Frank Goudie (page 190) who noted that Chipman used proper chemical tanks for weedkillers  and inaccurate observations ("rare after 1939) on railway-owned gas tank wagons (KPJ: These still served carriages and especially dining cars on Western and London Midland Regions. Some of the ex-LNER quad-arts and GWR auto-trailers retained gas lighting for a long time. See letters by George Davis and by R. Tourret. on page 94.
Revealing signs. R.W. Beamer.
Halton sign refers to London Midland Railway [sic]. Beverley map was still in situ at time of letter. See 2-166.
Driving wheels. David Burton.
Large driving wheels on tank engines, notably Bristol & Exeter 4-2-4T (broad gauge), Dean 4-2-4T standard gauage and LBSCR 4-4-2T and 4-6-4T with 6 ft 9 in driving wheels: refers to caption to 4-4-2T {Volume 2 page 185}
Real or imaginary?. J.F. Aylard.
Error of 2-4-2T (GWR County 4-4-2T see 2-185, also where V1/V3 classes employed (caption 2-165): on Great Northern line between April and July 1931; extremely briefly on ex-Great Central (1943), but 15 on Great Eastern section between 1938 and 1950/1.
Saxby's battles. Peter Smith.
Lord Gretton built a 10¼ inch gauge railway at Stapleford Park, but this has since closed. The thought of the miniature railway upsetting the previous, albeit dead, owner is amusing.
Coaching stock. Charles Long.
Illus page 2-182: this had nothing to do with Bulleid: Trianon Bar was converted from twelve-wheel 1917 Pullman.
Coaching stock. Peter Cooper.
This relates back to 2-175 and to the topic of Buckeye couplings on the A4 Pacifics which had corridor tenders: the coupling of these locomotives to their trains required a specific procedure.

Chinley South Junction. Derek Huntriss (phot.). back cover.
in snow: February 1968: 8F on freight

Number 2 (Volume 3: April/June)

Llandudno Jn. with prototype Stainer LMS 4-6-2 46200 The Princess Royal. Keith Pirt. front cover

Royal race train duties. 52.
Col. illus.: Schools class 30915 Brighton (black) at Stewarts Lane on 6 June 1952 (J.G. Click); 30926 Repton at Tattenham Corner in June 1962 (Roy Hobbs)

By Southern to the races. J.W. Kirby. 53-60.
The SR served eighteen racecourses which included Ascot, Brighton, Epsom, Gatwick, Hurst Park, Kempton Park and Sandown Park. As well as passenger trains meetings involved conveying police (with their horses), Tote staff, race horses in horseboxes. There tended to be mass exits at the end of meetings and first class passngers were given priority. Adjacent stations might loose their services: Bracknell, for instance, had few trains on Ascot race days. Illus.: Epsom Downs station on Derby Day with Royal Train probably waiting for King Edward VII; N class 2-6-0 1863 near Chipstead with a Pullman race special on a pre-war Derby day; Return race specials (4SUB and 4EPB) for Hurst Park races waiting at Hampton Court station on 6 June 1960; A return special from the Ascot races at Surbiton hauled by 34011 on 17 June 1953; Ascot station in 1954; A race special for Tonbridge and Redhill at Westhanger in 1937 with SECR B1 1455; Return race special ex Wye approaching Ashford c. 1923 with K class 790?; Lingfield-Victoria race special at Oxted behind N class 2-6-0 1410; timetable for the Lewes races; timetable for Lingfield Park races Oct 15th. 1938; Lingfield - Victoria race special climbing toward Oxted in 1949 with L1 31787; E1 class 4-4-0 1507 at Westhanger on its way back from Folkestone in 1937; Class 13 4-4-2T 2027 pilots H class passing Sutton for Epsom Downs on 19 April 1939; Class 13 4-4-2T 2091 south of Belmont with a Pullman special for Epsom Downs on 24 May 1939; BR class 4 4-6-0 leaving Lingfield for Victoria June 1963; timetable (cover) for Epsom races, Derby week 1934. Additional information from R.C. Riley including non-electrified lines at Tattenham Corner on page 142.  Letter from J. Burrell concerns use of Lavant (page 238).

Britain's railway at war - 1939 - 1945. Alan Earnshaw. 61-8.
Organization and operating controls; railway company incomes and State involvement therein; precautions against enemy action; air-raid damage; workmen's trains, freight, military traffic, such as aviation spirit: all covered in greater deatil in the many books written in the immediate post WW2 period.  illus.: A soldier of the BEF has a shave 'somewhere near Southampton'; an amateur SR fire fighting unit with fireman Joseph Green as a different type of fireman; Bunks in Tube stations; clearing up from 'the night before' (bombed LNER rolling stock); An official picture of tanks after attention from the censor (details on tanks changed - at obvious ex-GER location; A travel information hut; Offloading a tank at Clifton; A switchboard in the bowels of a main line station; A dispatch rider was used when all else failed; A Southern 21C9 leaving London with a 14 coach train; Locomotives tired, work stained and often with patched up repair, they; Unrebuilt Bunsen' waits its next duty; Additional information from J.N. Faulkner mainly on information kiosks page 142) 

In the [signal] box. 69.
Colour photo-feature: : signalbox interiors: Wath Central (S.C. Dent); Desford J. (R.C. Riley).

Scottish selection. Roy Hobbs (phot.). 70-1
Colour photo-feature: B1 61132 on short freight at Pittenweem in 1966; 80092 at Killin J.; 54465 at Careston in 1962 and 44257 at Forfar in 1962.

Eight coupled Great Western [locomotives]. 72-3.
Colour photo-feature: 4704 lined green in 1957 (R.C. Riley); 4705 leaving Paddington on express in 1960 (R.C. Riley);  3859 on iron ore train at Southam in 1962 (W. Potter); 3809 being banked out of Ledbury Tunnel in 1964 (M. Mensing)

LNER Class J27. 74-5.
Colour photo-feature: : 65891 at Scotsgap Yard and 65879 on Seaton Bank (Roy Hobbs); four of class in Sunderland mpd (Paul Riley) Locomotives

Steam finalé at Marylebone. Roy Hobbs. 76-7.
44872 on semi-fast to Nottingham on 1966-09-02; Fairburn 2-6-4T on 1963-03.

Crewe at home and away. Philip Atkins. 77-80.
1909-09 report by C.J. Bowen Cooke relating to locomotive exchanges (Precursor vs Ivatt Atlantic and CR Cardean) and incorporation of ideas from both companies incorporated into 4-6-2T (originally draughted as 2-6-4T) with superheater. B&w illus. include GN 1449 S. of Crewe on 1909-07-04; CR 903 near Crewe on 1909-06-23; LNWR 1405 at Glasgow Central in 1909; Prince of Wales 969 at Lewes (worked through to Eastbourne see letter by G. Davies on page 142), Sussex; Precursor 7 on 1909-11. See added information on names associated with Prince of Wales (C.P. Atkins).

The Delph branch. Michael & Peter Fox. 81-8.
A branch to Delph was included in Huddersfield & Manchester Railway and Canal Company authorises in 1845, but the branch was not built until James Lees of Delph pressed LNWR for its construction. It was opened in September 1851. There is no documentary evidence to support horse traction which has been assumed was the source of the "Delph Donkey". On 4 July 1856 the Greenfield to Oldham line was opened and Oldham was the normal starting point for Delph trains. There were train cuts in the 1880s, but these were reinstated following pressure from customers. The Temperance Union ran trips to Delph: 800 school children were taken there from Oldham in July 1898. Stone and shale was conveyed from Ladcastle Quarries. Mixed trains were run. Traffic increased during the construction of Castleshaw Reservoirs whichwere served by a railway from Delph station. Steam railmotor 5507 was tried in July 1910. In 1912 halts were opened at Moorgate (on the mainline, but only served by branch trains) and at Dobcross. The train service was expanded to serve these halts. Measurements Halt opened on 18 May 1932 to serve a factory making meters. The authors note that following start of WW2 "excursion traffic never to return" this is not quite true as Oldham Boy Scouts used to arrive at Moorgate and required an extra pair of coaches to accommodate during the 1949-1954 period. Passenger services ceased on 30 April 1955 and freight (coal) on 4 November 1963. During the period 1949 to 1954 passenger traffic was virtually zero other than for the two trains which served Measurements. Includes map & plans: b&w illus. by J. Davenport of 41280; 84010; 40047; 40057 (both in 1952) and 40060 still lettered LMS including one of driver picking up tablet from signalman Bill Hobson at Delph J, also coal tank No. 3287 at Greenfield in 1915. illus.: A view of the Delph branch at the turn of the century; Delph station as shown on the rating map; A Peckett 0-6-0 ST at the Castleshaw reservoir site in the late 1880s; An excursion handbill 1897; A map of the Delph branch; LNW 0-6-2 'Coal' tank No. 3287 on a push-pull working at Greenfield; The steam rail-motor as used on the branch seen at Lees depot Oldham; Fowler 2-6-2T No. 40060 and train at Moorgate Halt; The driver of Fowler 2-6-2T 40060 takes the branch tablet c1950; Fowler 2-6-2T pushing the Oldham train off the branch; 40059 at the buffer stops at Delph; Ticket samples of the Delph branch; 40047 on the main line just north of Greenfield about to call at Moorgate; 84010 pushes a train near Dobcross; Dobcross Halt; Ivatt 2-6-2T 41280 leaving the Stalybridge-Huddersfield line; NB anyone requiring information about this branch should contact Kevin Jones as he was a regular watcher of this service and sometimes pulled off the levers when Bill Hobson was on duty at Delph Junction! The questionned Sunday services did run. Further information from Rex Christiansen (3-142)

Yesterday's observer - April 1958. 89.

A grey day at Darlington. Ken Hoole (captionist). 90-1.
Workshop grey official photographs: Y7 982 in 1923; J39 2962 in 1931; B1 8302 in 1943; A8 2162 in 1931; C9 727 in 1931; A2/1 3696 in 1944.

Letters. 92.
Time to adjust the cut-off. David Jenkinson.
Requesting comment and possible changes from Nigel Trevena's rather rigid framework.
Steam to Killin. David Hamilton.
Glenmutchkin Railway (fictitious). Quotes John Thomas's The Callander and Oban Railway. Refers back to feature on Killin branch page 33
Subject balance. D.A. Peckitt.
As first letter.
Hadley Wood widening. S.R. Davidge.
Writer asserts that widening may have followed Potters Bar accident of 1946 (original article 3-40). Triple collision at Potters Bar in [1946 writer incorrectly states 1947]: writer's father was passenger in local train which was hit and off work for twenty weeks inconsequence (two soldiers were killed in neighbouring compartment): vivid description of locomotive's wheels and firebox passing through compartment. KPJ own father was about to board train for Edinburgh at King's Cross when he decided against it as "he did like the look of it" and took a later train. See further letter from J.F. Aylard on page 142..
Slip coaches. Eric Shimmin.
Ravenglass & Eskdale provided a slip whereby member of staff leapt off train to change points. (Original letter (Webster) (2-188) and original article (2-62).
Canterbury & Whitstable. B.S. Cooper.
Refers to illustration 25 refered to as "high culvert" and claims should have been "occupation arch": quotes Ratcliffe's The Canterbury & Whitstable Railway, 1830-1980: a pictorial survey {INCORRECT}.
Great Eastern. Charles Bayes.
Motive power in Great Eastern area, mainly under LNER: extensive list of errata & addenda: mainly concerning F4/F5 transpositions; March-Temple Mills coal traffic was not restricted to steam braked locomotives; 9.33 a.m. Sundays Only was only time that Liverpool Street departure indicator showed Doncaster (original article 3-5).

Colour files. R.C. Riley. 93.
Henstridge S & D in 1961; SR Deptmental Terrier locomotive 377s in yellow: See 3-142 for observations on yellow by Reed and by DJ..

Letters. 94
Tank wagons - again. George Davis
Road/rail milk tanks: used between Llandilo J and Park Royal (special arrangements for working through Severn Tunnel. Original letter (Erwood 3-46) and article 2-156.
Tank wagons - again. R. Tourret.
Royal Daylight tanks: cites own Petroleum tank wagons of Britain.(three photos therein).  Original letter (Erwood 3-46) and article 2-156.
BR 'Clan' Pacifics. R.F. Smith.
Notes that on (page 45) lower firebox and cyclinder covers painted green.

Book reviews. 94.
Locomotives of the LNER. Part 10A. RCTS. DJ ****
Criticism of production quality.
The Big Four remembered. J.S. Whiteley and G.W. Morrison. Oxford Publishing Co. CR **
Along LMS routes. Volume 1. Central and Western Divisions. Bill Hudson. Headstock DJ ****
"one of the most informative "portmanteau" books yet published on the LMS"

GWR 'Small prarie' 5569 at Coryton on its way to Plymouth in 1962-09. (D. Soggee). rear cover.

Number 3 (1989 Volume 3)

GNR (I) Class V compound 4-4-0 Merlin at Dundalk in 1956. K.R. Pirt. front cover

Bletchley recalled. Bill Simpson not Smith (as stated). 100-5.
Opened on 22 June 1839 as 2nd class timetable stop: named as Bletchley & Fenny Stratford in 1840. Importance grew with opening of Bedford branch on 17 November 1846 and still further with openings to Banbury in 1850, and Oxford in 1851. In 1859 a third line was opened between Bletchley and Primrose Hill. The New Works Act of 1872 empowered the quadrupling from London to Rugby by 1874. Extra platforms were added at Bletchley station. The station served Bletchley Park during WW2. The Modernization Programme of 1955 led to the construction of a flyover which has seen very little use. The closure of the Oxford to Cambridge route in 1968 reduced the status of Bletchley as has the opening of a station at Milton Keynes. Few remnants of the original stion survive following the work required for electrification. See letter from F.A. Blencowe (page 190) concerning Cailiflower workings post 1942. Col. illus.: 2P 60646 on SLS special on 1962-04-14 (P. Riley) and 8592 Cauliflower 0-6-0 in 1938 (L. Hanson) (see letter from G.W. Johnson concerning Belpaire/round top boiler swapping — also editorial note page 238). B&w illus. LNWR 2-4-0 1168 Cuckoo; North end of station a 2-4-2T piloting a 4-4-0 Precursor 25245 Antaeus; Patriot 45513 on the way to Euston in the 1950s; ; 75036; also flyover under construction; includes plan. Bletchley station in the early 1950s; Track diagram for Bletchley 1881; Bletchley station from the track in the late 1950s; entrance to Bletchley station in 1952; Bletchley shed with a selection of locomotives in 1954; BR std class 4 75036 on an Oxford train; Raising the roof: taking the roof off to allow for electrification; D211 creeps between the bridge piers of the new freight flyover; with the roof still on in the 1950s;

Rail motors, Sentinels and auto-trains. Tom Middlemass. 106-9.
Fairly superficial survey, especially the part relating to auto-trains: nevertheless, the article does cover the very early work by William Bridges Adams on the construction of lightweight engines, some of which were constructed with, or connected to, light carriages; these include an 0-2-2T Express for the ECR in 1847,  Fairfield ;   Enfield - a 2-2-0T for the ECR in 1849 and 2-2-0WT Eagle. Other early rail-motors were those built under Alexander McDonnell for the GS&WR(I) an 0-4-4T Sprite and an 0-6-4T. Tramway competition encouraged Drummond to steam rail-cars, and later 2-2-0T locomotives for push-pull operation: the latter were a failure. The coverage of the very extensive use of steam railcars by the GWR is only thinly covered as is the subsequent development of auto-trains by this company. The development of steam railcars by Sentinel and Clayton for the LNER (and in the case of the former also for the LMS and (one vehicle for the SR) is covered in greater depth. The development of push-pull (pull-push) on the LBSCR with mechanical systems (and later compressed air control) in 1912; the GER with compressed air in 1914, and the LSWR with mechanical ssytems is alo noted. Sentinel locomotives, including the super Sentinels developed for the Wisbech  & Upwell Light Railway are also described. illus.: Eastern Counties 2-2-2WT Eagle; G&SWR 0-4-2 Sprite; LSWR railcar 5, Class C14 with two-car rail motor ["gate stock"]; GWR steam car 74; ex-L&YR Railmotor 18 [LMS 10617] at Black Rod in 1947; Sentinel car 38 Pearl leaving Edinburgh Waverley in 1936; SECR steam railcar 2 at Chatham Central; Auto-train (with enclosed locomotive at Trumper's Crossing Halte [sic]; LBSCR Class D 0-4-2T on 'push-pull'; Ex Clayton steam coaches at Waterford Manor in 1934; Super Sentinel Y10 0-4-0T 8186 on Yarmouth Quay in 1947. See letter from E.S. Youdon on page 238 concerning terminology of auto-push-pull-push-motor trains on Southern See letters from Peter Erwood on Jersey Sentinels (page 238), and P. Walton's response to it on page 140 of Vol. 4, and from J.J. Smith in Vol. 4 page 46 on demise of SR Sentinel railbus on Westerham branch.

Devizes. P. Strong. 110-16.
History of bypassed railway which had become a loop, plus personal memories. The Wilts, Somerset & Weymouth Railway had been absorbed by the GWR by the time it reached Devizes from Trowbridge on 1 July 1857. This was a broad gauge branch from Holt. In November 1862 the Berks and Hants Extension opend from Hungerford via a tunnel under Devizes Castle. The broad gauge was converted on 27 June 1874. On 1 October 1900 the line became a loop to the new mainline which avoided Devizes. In 1901 the GWR reached an agreement with the M&SWJR to allow the smaller railway's trains into Devizes. There were problems on the new mainline and diversions onto the loop were fairly common. On 22 August 1961 there was a serious embankment failure just east of Crockwood signal box and traffic again had to be diverted via Devizes or Melksham. These divertions lasted until mid-September. The line was closed on 16 April 1966.  See letter from E.S. Youldon on page 238 concerning 47xx class: they were not double red. Illus (b&w): painting by Sean Bolan of Devizes c1860 with train headed by locomotive of Hercules class; detail from a postcards c1900 and c1906; M&SWJR 4-4-0 at the head of a troop train entering the 'back' platform; general view looking west; western end of the station; general view looking east from the top of the inner home signal; signal box; exit tracks from the goods shed and up goods yard merge before joining; exterior of the station; Hall' class 4-6-0 Rolleston Hall 5973 standing at Devizes; diverted Cornish Riviera express with Type 4 NB A1A-A1A D604 Cossack in September 1961; view of the goods yard; Catch passing the token in 1965; Pressed Steel Motor second W51383 leaving Devizes; Type 3 Hymek diesel hydraulic meeting a BR std 2-10-0 waiting for the token. See also corrspondence on page 190 from Maurice Colville concerning tossing the staff.

Significantly South Western. P. Colebourn Collection. 117.
Colour photo-feature: locomotives: L11 408 and H16 516 in SR dark green

Transition at Laira. R.C. Riley.. 118-19.
Colour photo-feature: Diesel maintenance depot under construction on 29 August 1961: locomotives include 1363; D823 Hermes on 30 April 1961; overview of steam shed at Laira mpd, Plymouth

There's a famous seaside town called Blackpool. Peter Fitton. 120-1.
Locomotives: 44733 and 44737 on shed in 1963; 42754 at Ansdell & Fairhaven in 1964; 45565 leaving Central Stn in autumn 1964; 45705 on shed

True blue?' David Jenkinson. 122-3.
"The more well known blue LMS and LNER streamliners of the 1930s were hardly an aestetic masterpiece". This may be true of the LMS, but is not true for the LNER where an exhibition devoted to Art Deco (at the Hayward Gallery) included a photograph of an A4 Pacific with Sir Malcolm Campbell's Bluebird: both were blue. Jenkinson seemed to have a strong antagonism to blue in spite of  the beauty associated with Caledonian blue locomotives and the immediate success of the blue trains in Glasgow. It is doubtful if the HST sets ever looked better than when they were painted blue. Personal memories of the blue Kings, Merchant Navy pacifics and LMS pacifics were certainly happy ones, where the contrast with the dull Brunwick green and funereal black was very marked. See letter from E.S. Youldon on page 238 on lining of blue Maerchant Navy class. Coloured  illustrations.: locomotives: 170 Errigal GNR(I) at Amiens Street shed Dublin in June 1960 (K.R. Pirt); 6025  King Henry III leaving Chippenham (K.H. Leech); 35027 Port Line; 46254 City of Stoke-on-Trent leaving Rugby in 1952 (BR blue); 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley at Rugby Testing Station in October 1948 (garter blue) (J.M. Jarvis). See letter from M. Seymour : 5-91

Gresley Great Northern work horses. W. Potter. 124.
Colour photo-feature: J50/4 68990 at Hornsey shed in 1857; N2/2 69522

Firing the steam locomotive. Charles Meacher. 125-31
Includes observations on firing Sentinel railcar (known to the crews as 'camels' Quicksilver on N. Leith service. Most of the article deals with the practicalities of firing, but it also records that Meacher began as a cleaner at Canal Shed, Carlisle, on 24/- per week, notes the problem of smoke pollution in Edinburgh, problems with the dampers on the V2 class and a blow back which killed both of the footplate crew on Clan class Pacific 72006 at Gleneagles in 1954 due to the lack of a baffle plate (scoop). B&w illus by H.G. Forsythe mainly show footplate scenes on A4. driver adjusting the blower to maintain the draught on the fire; checking water levels; hosing down Silver Link's footplate to keep the dust down; two diagrams demonstrating factors affecting the fire; diagrams of footplate layout on GW King 4-6-0; LNER A4 4-6-2; LMS Class 5 4-6-0; SR Schools Class 4-4-0.

The Port Carlisle branch. Alan Earnshaw. 132-7.
The Port Carlisle originated as Fisher's Cross and functioned as a harbour between 1823 and 1862 when it was displaced by Silloth. A canal was constructed to link Port Carlisle, on the Solway, with the City of Carlisle: this opended on 12 March 1823 and closed on 3 August 1853 (to be converted into a railway). In 1833 The Carlisle & Annan Steam Navigation Co began services to Liverpool from Port Carlisle and provided a ferry to Annan from 1839. To assist in conveying emigrants arriving at Newcastle and being conveyed over the Newcastle & Carlisle Railway a short branch was opened from the dock basin to London Road station. Competion came from the Maryport & Carlisle Railway opened in 1845 and the decision was reached to convert the canal into a railway, which opened as such either on 22 May 1854 or on 22 June 1854. Silting at Port Carlisle led to the development of Silloth via a line opened in 1856 when Port Carlisle became a branch. The independent railway got into serious financial and legal trouble and the NBR leased the undertaking for 999 years from 30 June 1859. The Port Carlisle branch was worked by a dandy car (horse-drawn vehicle) between 1857 and 4 April 1914 when light steam locomotives and ultuimately Sentinel railcars displaced them. The end came on 1 June 1932. One of the Dandy cars was exhibited at Waverley station and is now at the NRM. Correspondence re Drumburgh from J. Burrell (3-190).illus.: Port Carlisle at the turn of the Century; The 'Dandy' arriving at Port Carlisle; A sketch map of railways round Carlisle; Port Carlisle beach at the turn of the Century; The third and the fourth horse drawn vehicles; The fifth horse drawn vehicle as rebuilt in 1912 and a view of the coach; Conversion to steam power Class R 0-6-0T No 22 ready for action; The last 'train' in 1914; Sentinel railcar Nettle introduced in 1928; The first train in 1914. See letters by Burrell on Drumburgh station (page 190), and by K. Wildey (Vol. 4 page 46);

Ashby, Helen. There's no place like home!' 138-9.  
LSWR servants' orphanage originated at 78 Jeffreys Road, Clapham in 1886 and moved in 1909 to Woking; became Southern Railway orphanage and since 1982 the Woking Homes Railcare Centre. illus.: Orphanage New Year Party 1943; The Orphanage main entrance just prior to closure in 1988; Cooks in the orphanage kitchen 1958; Retired railmen at Woking;

Yesterday's Observer - Dec 1947. 140.

Book reviews.. 140.
Severn and Wye Railway. Volume 3. Ian Pope and Paul Karau.  Wild Swan ****
The Mildenhall branch. Peter Page. Wild Swan ****
Atlas of the Great Western Railway, 1947. R.A. Cooke. Wild Swan ****
The Tal-y-Llyn Railway. J.I.C. Boyd. Wild Swan *****
We find it astonishing that so much can be said about such small sections of the subject. Boyd's minor masterpiece, a beautiful piece of work... superb production values.

Colour files. R.C. Riley. 141.
Desford LMR in 1963; No 2 Western Pride (RSH 7645) at Hamworthy, Poole Harbour

Letters. 142.
Delph branch. Rex Christiansen.
Loss of facilities for courting couples on last train (original article 3-91)
Liveries and colours. Albin J. Reed.
Stroudley yellow variant and NBR grass green signal spectacles plus editorial reply to former: original illustration page 93
Railways at war. J.N. Faulkner.
Illus of information kiosks and soldier shaving at Redhill with female assistance Original 3-61.
Crewe - a postscript. C.P. Atkins.
Original article 3 page 77. 4-6-2T to take Prince of Wales to Carnarvon for investiture; but plans to name George V No. 5000 Prince of Wales, but Experiment substituted.
Crewe — a postscript. G.A. Davies.
LNWR 969 worked through to Eastbourne. Original article 3 page 77..
Southern race traffic. R.C. Riley.
First class sets reserved for; Non-electrtified sidings at Epsom and Tattenham corner needed steam shunters; note on special trains for police horses (original article 3-53)
Potters Bar accident. J.F. Aylard.
Date was 10 February 1946: triple collision (letter by Davidge 3-92)

Southern class N 31862 leaving Tunbridge Wells West in April 1964 bound for Tonbridge. (Roy Hobbs). rear cover

Number 4 (1989 Vol. 3: September-October)

BR Class 5 73030 on the rollers at Rugby testing station in 1953. J.G. Click. front cover

What is railway history? Nigel Trevena. 147.
Editorial: Critical of "railway preservation": did not like theme park atmosphere and such anachronisms as Blue Peter with LNER insignia or rebuilt Royal Scots in LMS livery: see response from P.J. Howell (letter page 190).

On test - Rugby locomotive testing station. Philip Atkins. 148-54.
Not really a full history, as key papers by Gresley and Bond are not cited, but the article does provide a useful overview of activity at the test station and notes the Bond and Click collections at the NRM, Diagram of plant. Col. illus. by Click of 92013, 46225 (blue) and 42725. The b&w illus. include some highly informative material: the Farnborough electric indicator and of the roller wheel interface. Locomotives illustrated include: 73031, 92166, 46165, GT3 and 45722.. Tables of tests conducted and Bulletins of test results complete this useful feature. illus.: exterior of the testing station with SR 35022 being tested in 1952; Standard class 5 'at speed' at Rugby; Class 9F 2-10-0 92166 with mechanical stoker on test; Rugby testing station lay out plan; How the coupled wheels engaged the rollers; LMR rebuilt Royal Scot festooned for tests; English Electric gas turbine 4-6-0 GT3 [undressed] on test; Tests carried out 1949-1959; LMR 4 cyl 4-6-2 Duchess of Gloucester turning the rollers; LMR Jubilee class 4-6-0 with a temporary double chimney; One of the first BR 9Fs 92013 on test. Letter from D.P. Rowland (4-46) on tests with 4F. Letter from Alan Rimmer with photograph of counter-pressure locomotive (4-94).

Two unknown - unknown victims from two accidents. Graham Kirkpatrick, 155-7.
Charfield accident (1929-10-15): siganls passed at danger, but driver claimed that signals were off, led to a collision, followed by a fire due to gas lighting, A boy and a girl were amongst victims, but nobody claimed to be related to them. Notes memorial in local churchyard. illus. (b&w): locomotive involved in the Charfield accident Class 3 4-4-0 714; The wreckage of 714, barely recognisable alongside the breakdown crane; Track line diagram of the layout round Charfield; The grave of the accident victims; The site of the 1928 accident as it was in 1984. See letters by Janet Cutler and W. Taylor in Volume 4 page 46. and letter in Volume 13 (p. 569) by Nick Booker.

Diary of the decline of the Melton Mowbray GN and LNW joint line. Charles Bayes. 158-64.
Personal recollections of  services from Northampron via Melton Mowbray to Leicester Belgrave Road and to Nottingham. These lines had very sparse services which lingered on until 1957 and until 1962 for excursion traffic. The heaviest passenger traffic was from Leicester Belgrave Road to Mablethorpe and Skegness where approximate departure times lasted until 1951. Trains often ran late and as one of the photographs shows engines failed. See letter by J.F. Burrell (4-94). illus.: J11 64438 on a Melton Mowbray to Leicester train prior to departure (Ian L. Graves); 64438 on the same train after arrival at Leicester; A ticket for the dog; Leicester Belgrave Rd station in 1951; Class D3 4-4-0 2000 about to fail at John o' Gaunt station; view of same station on 1953-05-23 (O.H. Posser); Diagram of the railways around Melton Mowbray; Class K2 2-6-0 61754 leaving Melton Mowbray for the East Coast; John o' Gaunt station with a train from Melton to Leicester; Shunting at Melton a class 4F 0-6-0 44064 doing the honours in 1955; Shunting at Melton a class J5 0-6-0 65498 doing the honours in 1955 (P. Groom); Harbury & Stathern station in 1953, and in 1958 (H.C. Casserley); Long Clawson & Hose station in 1952 looking north; Third class ticket to Scalford; The last day of the unadvertised workmen's service from Market Harborough; The last day of the unadvertised workmen's service from Market Harborough.

DMUs to Crewe. 165.
BRCW units in original, or near original liveries: col. illus.: train at Wilmslow in 1959-06 (M.S. Welch) and at Leigh [NSR line] 1961-05-06 (J.S. Gilks)

The O2 Class analysed.. Keith Pirt. 166-7.
Colour photo-feature: 63924 (1962-02) and 63975 (1962-10) at Retford (first at Crossing), and 63940 and 63943 at Grantham Shed in August and May 1968 respectively)

Summer days beside Torbay. W. Potter. 168-9.
Colour photo-feature: 4903 near Torquay Gasworks on 1963-09-03; 5158 at Paignton on 1958-06-13; 1472 and 6814 plus 5178 at Churston on 1957-09-12; 4984 and 6841 in Kingswaer panorama on 1961-06-27. See letter by M. Seymour in Volume 5 page 91

On Midland lines. 170-1.
Colour photo-feature: Oakham level crossing signal box on 1970-09 (R.C. Riley); 44414 ex-works Derby on 1962-09-30 (Raymond Reed); 41734 at Staveley Ironworks on 1961-03-05 (R.C. Riley); 70043 on express at Wellingborough Midland Road on 1962-03-24.

Axminster and Lyme Regis Light Railway. P. Maughan. 172-80.
There had been several proposals for railways to Lyme Regis, but the first successful venture was for a Light Railway constructed under an order of 15 June 1899. The line was opened on 24 August 1903. The line closed on 29 November 1965. Subsidence was experienced on Cannington Viaduct which had been constructed of concrete with 'Concrete Bob' McAlpine as contractor. Severe curvature caused motive power difficulties: Terriers were used initially, but the gradients were too severe, and the O2 class lasted for only a short time until the Adams' radial 4-4-2Ts were tried in 1913 and these ran most of the services until LMS/BR 2-6-2Ts replaced them. Col. illus.: 30582 on 1959-05 (K. Pirt): b&w illus.: 30583 and 41216 (Peter W Gray). Also two Terriers on opening day; O2 184 in early days of line; map, gradient profile: very full account. See letter from S.G. Pain, descendent of Pain who engineered the line, in Vol. 4 page 46. See also letter from Michael Bamlett (4-94) concerning Combpyne and on subsidence at Lyme Regis. Keith Hill returns to the line in Volume 22 page 212..

The wooden bridge [boyhood observations around Kidderminster in the 1930s]. Stanford Jacobs.181-5.
A very different railway: records new link to power station at Stourport; raw sugar traffic from Newport Docks for refining at Foley Park, and heavy  colliery traffic from Highley. The b&w illus. have been carefully selected to show what the author would have seen in the place and at the time, but frequently photographed somewhere else:  Barnum  2-4-0 3214 at Shrewsbury; M&SWJR 17 as GWR 25 4-4-4T (H.C. Casserley); M&SWJR 18 rebuilt as GWR 18; 0-4-2T 1440 (earlier series); 0-4-2T 3578 (H.C. Casserley); Armstrong goods 1195 (as prev.); 3521 (4-4-0) at Barmouth (D.S. Barrie); 1076; 1254; 3373; 8718 at Hampton Loade on a freight (16 April 1954); 5154 at Highley (W.A. Camwell); 29 (ex-CM& DPR)

LMS handbill advertising. Nelson Twells. 186-7.
Eleven reproduced: very varied: closure of Wick to Lybster branch; excursion to York, Darlington & Newcastle from Preston area

Yesterday's Observer - September 1960. 188.

Colour files. 189.
Horwich 'Mogul' 42782 at Bescot (W. Potter) and Low Gates Northallerton signal box (Chris Davies)

Letters. 190
Weed killing trains. Frank Goudie.
See page 46 for letter from Peter Erwood: :Southern Railway/Region: old tenders kept at Blackheath: Chipman Chemical Co. used proper tank wagons.
Port Carlisle branch. J.F. Burrell.
See feature on page 132: status of Drumburgh station
Great Eastern carriages. J. Watling.
See feature on page 5: six aside four-wheelers lasted on N. Woolwich line until 1936: some of same type placed on new bogie underframes for Ilford services.
Preservation and accurate history. P.J. Howell.
See Editorial by Nigel Trevena on page 147.
Devizes - or devices?. Maurice J. Colville.
Relates to the picture (page 116) of the tossing of a train staff.
'Clan' Pacific workings. P. Smith.
Some enthusiasts appeared to consider that Clan workings South of the Border bordered on the miraculous.
Bletchley &c. F.A. Blencowe.
See feature page 100 on LNWR locomotives extant post WW2 thereat.

A4 60024 Kingfisher leaving Gleneagles in 1966 (Paul Riley). rear cover.

Number 5 (1989 Vol. 3: November-December)

A4 60032 Gannet heads south out of Askham tunnel in 1960 (K.R. Pirt). front cover.

Mail by rail. Helen Ashby. 196-201.
The Government acquired a monopoly for handling mail by an Act of Parliament in 1657. Carriage by stagecoach was very slow, and the S&DR was ignored,but the arrival of the L&MR was noted and mail was oconveyed from 11 November 1830. Within fifteen years London had ceased to despatch mail by road. Sorting carriages were introduced on the GJR in January 1838. Frederick Karstadt, a Post Office surveyor, appears to have devised the pigeon hole arrangement. Thus the travelling post offices (TPO) was born. The concept of picking up and dropping off at speed was developed and patented by Nathaniel Worsdell in January 1838, but John Ramsey (a Post Office employee) developed an alternative version which was tested at Boxmoor in 1838. John Dicken improved this design in 1848 and this was the standard design from 1852 until the end of such exchanges. There are notes on the Irish Mail, the Down Special (Night Mail) and on late fee boxes (abolished in September 1876) and on liveries. illus.: A southern TPO; TPO at Inverness in 1969; fairly accurate replica of a Grand Junction TPO; Irish Mail about to exchange mailbags at Rhyl; West Coast Joint stock TPO 186 preserved at York as rebuilt; LMS poster advertising 'The Night Mail'; Two shots picking up the mail from lineside apparatus at Harrow; Inside view of the North Eastern up TPO in 1987;

Horses for courses. Philip Atkins. 202-5.
Specialized locomotives (photo-feature): Whitby bogie 4-4-0s; Whitby Willie 4-6-0T NER 686; Pwllyrhebog incline 0-6-0T GWR 191; Callendar & Oban: Oban bogie 4-4-0 187; Oban 4-6-0 52; Oban bogie 4-6-0 at Oban in 1934; West Highland K4 3441 at Fort William in 1939; West Highland bogie 4-4-0 227; Killin 0-4-2T 263; Lickey banker 2290.

The Helston branch. Stanley C. Jenkins. 206-12.
The Helston & Penrhyn Junction Railway (14 July 1864) lapsed into oblivion with the failure of Overend & Gurney. The Helston Railway Bill received the Royal Assent on 9 July 1880 for a line from Gwinear Road. On 5 February the GWR agreed to work the line which opened on 6 May 1887: it was absorbed by the GWR in 1898. Plans had been to extend to The Lizard, but these came to nought and bus services were developed instead. Freight and passenger services are described. The development of a Royal Naval Air Station during WW2 brought extra business, and for a time the line was patrolled by an armoured train headed by an F4 ex-GER 2-4-2T. Passenger services ceased on 3 Novemebr 1962 and freight in 1964. See page 139 (Vol. 4) for Author's addenda and letter by Hill. GWR: maps & plans: b&w illus.: buses for service to The Lizard; 4563 at Helston on 1960-09-24; 4517 shuting at terminus on 1938-06-19; 4564 shunting at Gwinear Road 1960-04-09; 5053 at Gwinear Road on 1961-04-29; 4563 at Helston shed on 1960-09-24; also Praze and Nancgollan stations and Truthall Halt. (fully dated 1960s illus. R.C. Riley).

Marsh Mills in it's heyday. R.C. Riley. 213.
Colour photo-feature: interior of signal box; No. 5572 at station.

The Allhallows/Grain branch. David Soggee. 214-15.
Colour photo-feature: push/pull at Gravesend Central in 1961-01; H class with p&p at Sharnall Street in 1959-08; 31324 at Baluncle Halt and Grain terminus in 1961. See letter from Ken Brennan stating that incorrect Maidstone is cited (Vol. 4 page 46)

Gotterdammerung over Shap. Paul Riley. 216-17.
Highly dramatic colour photographs: Britannia class Pacifics on passenger trains in 1967 (70013 and 70045) and class 5 freight with banker: plea from L.W. Knott for more of this type of phot-feature (letter 4-140).

Retford in retrospect. Keith R. Pirt. 218-19.
Colour photo-feature: K3 61803 and O2/3 63980 on freights, in May 1959; A4 60023 Golden Eagle and A3 60103 Flying Scotsman on expresses in 1958 and April 1959 respectively.

Class 4Fs on the Somerset & Dorset. R.C. Riley. 220-1.
Colour photo-feature: 44135 at Evercreech Junction on 6 July 1959 and 44561 at Templecombe on 3 July 1961.

The non-stop. A.J. Mullay. 221-5.
Flying Scotsman from 1928; then Capitals Ltd and Elizabethan: b&w illus.: (all Flying Scotsman except 1952 (Capitals Ltd) and Elizabethan (last two): A3 2578 at Kings Cross (see letter vol. 4 page 46 by Roger Horn to state that this may have been a non-non-stop); A4 60010 in early 1950s (lining on this locomotive inspired letter from J.D. Massey (4-140) on the non-parallel nature of the lower tender lining with the running plate); A3 2596 Bayardo at Kings Cross 18 May 1936; A3 2580 Shotover at Granthouse in 1930s see letter from M. Seymour in Volume 5 page 91; A4: 60012 Commonwealth of Australia at Kings Cross; 60017 Silver Fox at Greenwood on 1 July 1952; 60011 Empire of India at Peascliffe Tunnel in 1956 and 60025  Falcon on Werrington troughs in 1967.

Monstrous cavities - Victorian fear and the railway tunnel. Tim Warner. 226-9.
Responses of early travellers to tunnels (it is noteworthy that this fear re-emerged with the opening of The Channel Tunnel). B&w illus. (including some interiors): Clay Cross; Primrose Hill, Red Hill, Box and Kilby. See letter from M. Seymour on page 91 of Volume 5.

Yatton - Clevedon. Ivo Peters. 230-1.
Auto-train with 1463 on 8 May 1960, 1410 on 30 April 1960 and 1426 on 10 July 1960. with an appreciation on the late phographer's work and personality from David Jenkinson.

Not driven by steam - trials with internal combustion engines. Tom Middlemass. 232-5.
Text and illus out-of-phase: illustrated (b&w): NER 3768 4-wheel petrol railcar and 3171 petrol-electric bogie railcar; LBSCR 4 4-wheel petrol railcar; Clogher Valler 1; LMS 3 car streamlined and articulated; Armstrong Whitworth Lady Hamilton, GWR railcar 3; B&CDR locomotive 28. See also letter by W.A. Shannon on page 94 in Vol. 4. concerning Michelin railcars.

Yesterday's observer - Dec 1936. 236.

Book review. 236.
Railway liveries 1923- 1947. By Brian Haresnape, Ian Allan. DJ ****
This very important review is incorporated in the feature on Haresnape's authorship

Colour files. 237
Chalford station with 1409 on auto-train on 25 June 1962 (R.C. Riley);  Great Eastern J17 65567 with red side-rods (Roy Hobbs).

Readers' forum. 238.
Cauliflowers. G.W. Johnson.
Refers to colour picture (page 100) of Cauliflower with non-Belpaire boiler at Bletchley in 1938 and Editorial comment that Belpaire and round-top boilers were switched at overhaul.
Auto trains, 47XX class & blue locos. E.S. Youldon.
See page 106 SR did not use term auto train, but used push/pull or motor workings; 47xx were not "double-red see feature on Devizes page 110; lining of blue Merchant Navy class Pacifics (page 122).
Railmotors etc. Peter Erwood.
See feature page 106: Sentinel railcars on Jersey Railway and Jersey Eastern Railway, and P. Walton's corrections to this letter on page 140 of Vol. 4..
To the races. J.F. Burrell.
See page 53: Use of Lavant for race traffic after closure to passenger traffic.

Ivatt Class 2MT 41277 at Burton on Trent on 30 May 1960. R.C. Riley. rear cover.
On Tutbury pull and push known as Tutbury Jenny.

Updated 2012-10-26 (minor)

Return to Index page

Next Volume (4)