Maunsell V class 4-4-0 No. 30901 Winchester
with Lemaître chimney and in
lined green livery acting as stand-by
locomotive for Derby Day Royal Train at Stewarts Lane on 8 June 1962. Dave Cobbe Collection. front cover

Skyfall. Gavin Morrison. 4-6
Colour photo-feature of trains in snow: Class 5 4-6-0 No. 44727 on a freight leaving Hellified for Skipton on 26 January 1963; A3 Pacific No, 60073 St. Gatien on up Waverley near Dent on 26 January 1963; Class 47 No. 47 002 near Diggle with 10.05 Liverpool to Newcastle express on 9 February 1983; heritage Class 5 No. 4505 on Glenfinnan Viadut on outward excursioon on 29 March 1963; Fort William depot on 29 March 1987 with Class 37 No. 37 412 Loch Lomond and another two of class and three class 20 including Nos. 20 201 nd 20 206; Pacer forming 12.35 Wakefield We stgate to Huddersfield service on 8 January 2010 in light snow; HST on late running St. Pancras to Sheffield service at Clay Cross Juncton on 9 February 1991 with train picking up snow; Class 158 in red livery near Slaithwaite on 29 December 2000 looking toward Bolster Moor.

Tony Robinson. Forgotten branches of North East Wales. Part 5. The Mold to Brymbo line. 8-11.
Illustratins: Mold Tryddyn Junction signal box; map; coal tank 0-6-2T on short freight train which included two Cann el Oil tank wagons at Llanfynydd station during WW1?; Coed Talon station with crown waiting to join train c1910; coal tank 0-6-2T on short freight train which included wagon loaded with scrap metal for furnaces at Brybo; 4F 0-6-0 with single LNWR coach at Brymbo with train for Mold in May 1949 (E.S. Russell); Ffrith viaduct after track had been lifted with SLS party inspecting it on foot (J. Peden); 8F No. 48665 on train of empty mineral wagons [passing site of Brymbo station on 22 March 1966 (G. Kent).

David Joy. The Earl and the Honourable Lady: the nobility and the railways of Huddersfield, 12-20.
David Joy is the author of Piercing the Pennines (Great Northern, 2021) which covers both the railway and canal tunnels under Standedge in greater detail. Originally it was iintended that Huddersfield should be served by a station at Cooper Bridge on the Manchester & Leeds Railway. This was three miles away. Sir John Ramsden owned almost all the land in Huddersfield and never visited it and yet earned a great income from it. His name is perpetuated in the Sir John Ramsden's Canal - a branch off tthe Calder & Hebble Navigation. Illustrations: grand facade of HuddersfieLd station with statue of Sir Robert Peel in front removed in 1949 and replaced fifty years later by one of Harold Wilson; facade viewed from west end with horse drawn cabs in attendance; former Ctosti boilered 9F 2-10-0 approaching one of original stande dge Tunnels with freight with Huddersfield Canal in foreground in June 1966 (Gavin Morrison: colour); Clss 50 No. 50020 Revenge on a special from Bristol to Skipton crossing Paddoick Viaduct (Gavin Morrison: colour); Class 5 No. 45421 on a Holmfirth to Blackpool special in August 1953 (T.J. Edgington Colle ction); Jubilee 4-6-0 No. 45558 Manitoba on local train to Manchester in May 1959 (Gavin Morrison); Class 37/0 Nos. 37 252 and 37 221 crossing Lockwood Viaduct with a Bristol to Skipton excursion on 13 October 1979 (Gavin Morrison); begrimed class 5 4-6-0 No. 45437 on rturn excursion from Ma nchester and Class 110 Calder Vall ey diesel multiple unit leaving Huddersfield in 1965 with LNWR,LYR warehouse behind (colour); B1 No. 61230 on a Bradford to Bournemouth at Lockwood in July 1959 (Gavin Morrison); 2-6-4T No. 42650 on passenger train at Holmfirth Tudor-style terminus in September 1959 (Gavin Morrison); Kirkburton terminus; Prince of Wales 4-6-0 No. 5716 arriving at Huddersfield from Manchester; Huddeersfield station after extensions with LYR 2-4-2T and LNWR coaches; Pacer spoiling style of Huddersfield station looking towards George Loch new town in 2003 (Gavin Morrison)

Jeffrey Wells. Aspects of the Manchester & Leeds Railway, Psrt two. 21-5.
Illustrations: Todmorden Viaduct (drawing by A.F. Tait); 2-4-2T shunting coal wagon in Todmorden station c1905; Gauxholme skew bridge over Rochdale Canal; Eastwood station; east portal of Weasel Tunnel c1951; Hebden Bridge station frontage iin 1964 (Eric Blakey); Luddendenfoot station in LYR period; Sowerby Bridge station withh slotted post signal and horse drawn passenger cabs awaiting trade; Aspinall 0-8-0 No. 12574 with Belpaire firebox leaving Luddendenfoot for Hebden Bridge on a stopping train

Barry Taylor. A day at the races: LMS traffic arrangements for the Meeting at Towcester on Whit Monday 1939. 26-30.
Illustrations: Prince of Wales 4-6-0 No. 5630 W.M. Thackeray on a freihght psses Towcester station on 9 August 1933; Webb 2-4-2T No. 46666 known a s "four sixex" crosses Grand Union Canal arriving Blisworth from Northampton with push & pull train from Northampton (R.K. Blencowe); Blisworth station (to show complexity of movements onto SMJ thereat); sandwich motor train with Webb 2-4-2T in middle and LNWR low-roofed brake thirds at either end on Leamington to Towcester race meeting dat (L. Hanson); Towcesteer station on 9 October 1958 M. Mitchell);

'Kingfisher in flight'. Alan Reeve. 31.
Colour photo-feature: A4 No. 60024 Kingfisher at three locations: leaving Forfar for Aberdeen on a three-hour express in August 1966; passing Glamis closed station, and at Forfar in July 1966. Caption notes that on 13 September hauled 17.15 from Aberdeen to Glasgow and returned following morning on 08.25 ex-Buchanan Street.

School ties. 32-
Colour photo-feature of Maunsell V class 4-4-0 with private school names (all in lined green livery and with single chimney and from Dave Cobbe Collection unless stated otherwise): No. 30902 Wellington on Brighton shed with driver oiling motion whilst surrounded by ash on 7 May 1960; No. 30926 Repton in lined black livery with train mainly in carmine & cream near Shortlands Junction with Kent Coast express in October 1958; No. 30926 Repton in lined green livery at Tattenham Corner station with Royal Train on Derby Day 8 June 1962; No. 30924 Haileybury with Lemaître chimney and in lined green livery on Ashford shed on 4 June 1961; No. 30930 Radley in workshop at Bricklayers Arms depot on 6 September 1961; No. 30910 Merchant Taylors in dirty black livery at Faversham in 1959 (Marcus Eavis); No. 30915 Brighton at Brighton station waiting for next duty in 1959 (Marcus Eavis); No. 30927 Clifton in lined black livery with train from Hastings formed of Hastings gauge stock in green, crimson and crimson & cream liveries in June 1957; and No. 30929 Malvern with Lemaître chimney on up express waiting right-away from guard at Paddock Wood station in June 1959

David Hirst. The 1848 engine drivers' dispute in the newspapers. 36-41.
Article reprinted from LNWR Society Journal, 2021, 10 (1) June, The essence of the dispute was between the drivers and James Edwaard McConnell, Superintendent of the LNWR Southern Division. William Carr Glyn, Chairman of the company had a conside rable influence. llustrations: London & Birmingham passenger train of 1845 (painting by C. Hamilton Ellis: colour); Liverpool & Manchester Rilway goods train of 1830s (LNWR post card); Richard Creed, LNWR Company Secretary (portrait); Railway Tavern in Chalk Farm where drivers held their meetings (1939 photograph); Bury 2-2-0 No. 96 in 1847; Curzon Street station, Birmingham (LNWR colour post card); Southern Division Long Boiler 4-2-0 No. 189 at Curzon Street station; McConnell Large Bloomer No. 887 Knowsley; The Train Now Departing coloured cover of LMS publication illustrating typical London & Birmingham train.

In the East Midlands with JSG. John Spencer Gilks. 42-3.
Black & white photo-feature: BR Class 4 4-6-0 No. 75059 running into Ketton and Collyweston station with a Leicester and Nottingham holiday train to Gorleston-on-Sea holiday express on 31 May 1962; London, Tilbury & Southend Railway 79 class 4-4-2T No. 41975 at Uppingham LNWR Cbranch from Seaton with single coach in July 1959; Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2T No. 41227 at Stamford Town with push & pull from Seaton on 16 September 1964; B1 4-6-0 No. 61141 on Leicester Belgrave Road to Skegness holiday service calling at normally closed to passengers on 18 July 1959; Stanier 2-6-4T No. 42446 calling at Kelmarsh (still with LMS bullseye running-in board with 13.44 Northampton to Market Harborough on 5 July 1958; Fairburn 2-6-4T No. 42137 drawing into Saxby with 08.40 Nottingham to King's Lynn on 8 November 1958.

Bruce Laws. Ipswich: a hub for Suffolk railways. Part Two. 44-50.
Part one see previous Volume page XXX. This part begins with an examination of some of the branch lines in Suffolk. The line to Aldeburgh did not long survive Beeching's brutal scrutiny in spite of its International significance as a music centre. The residual stump associated with Sizewell nuclear tr affick is mentioned. The battle to save the East Suffolk line to Beccles and Lowestoft receives attention and Gerard Fiennes I tried to run a railway involvement in saving some of it Illustrations: B1 4-6-0 No. 61253 filling tank at Ipswich before entering tunnel in July 1958 (Mike Boakes); Beccles station on 9 June 1963; Holden E22 class 0-6-0T No. 253 at Eye station (Sufffolk) with three antique passenger four-wheelers; London Liverpool Street in BR steam days; Felixstowe Town station in Great Eastern period; Felixstowe Town station c1960; L1 2-6-4T No. 67711 at Felixstowe Town with 16.40 to Liverpool Street on 1 April 1956 (T.J. Edgington); F5 2-4-2T No. 67218 at Lowestoft Central on push & pull set on service for Yarmouth South Town via Gorleston in June 1954 (T.J. Edgington); Laxfield station on Mid-Suffolk Light Railway in April 1949; Brockford station on Mid-Suffolk Light Railway; three class 90 electric locomotives (90 014 Over the Rainbow; 90 047 and 90 046 - first two in tangerine livery) on long container triain for Trafford Park, Manchester about to enter Ipswich Tunnel.(Roger Carvell)

Third rail on Merseyside. Tom Heavyside. 51
Colour photo-feature of Class 507 and 508 mulytiple units to be replaced in 2022 by 777 class units.

Philip Benham. Take the train for the boat: the rise and fall of the boat train. Part one. 52-61.
On page 53 there is an awful mistake in that "Blackwall" is substituted for "Blackwall": thus there is London & Blackwell Railway and Blackwell Pier. The services to The Contnent [Continental Europe] receive considerable attention as is shown by the illustrations. Presumably those via Harwich and the Humber will be described in a subsequent part. Illustrations: Bulleid light Pacific Battle of Britain class No. 34085 501 Squadron departing Dover Marine with up Golden Arrow (colour); No. 46150 The Life Guardsman on day Irish Mail leaving Chester for Holyhead in August 1950 (P.M. Alexander); E5012 Bo-Bo electric locomotive stands at Dover Marine with Golden Arrow having arrived from Victoria on 1 April 1963 (colour); passengers arriving to board Southern Railway Golden Arrow through special arch at Victoria station; Britanmia class Pacific No. 70004 William Shakespeare leaving Shakespeare Cliff Tunnel with down Golden Arrow in 1951; Night Ferry headed by 21C156 Croydon and L1 4=4-0 about to leave Victoria on 15 December 1947; M7 class No. 30068 arriving Lymington Pier with push & pull set with PS Freshwater alongside (colour); 1366 class 0-6-0PT No. 1368 departing Weymouth Quay with boat train for Paddington on 4 July 1959 (Trevor Owen: colour); SSSt. Julien arriving Weyouth in 1929 with split boat train for Paddington waiting for arrivals, also three late 1920s luxury motor cars waiting to whisk some first class ship passengers off; unrebuilt (caption states rebuilt) West Country Pacific No. 34018 Axminster on all Pullman Statesman Ocean Liner Special connecting with SS United States passing Vauxhall in ear ly 1950s; No. 6029 King Edward VIII approaches Newton Abbott w ith a Plymouth Millbay to Paddington Ocean Liner special including four Super Saloons on 21 May 1958 (Dick Blenkinsop), Atbara class 4-4-0 No. 3381 Maine leaving Fishguard Harbour on 2 May 1908 with Irish boat express for Paddington; No. 7808 Cookham Manor and No. 6998 Burton Agnes Hall on 14 June 19975 at Norton Junction, Worcester with Great Western Society Vintage Train which included Super Saloons No. 9112 Queen Mary and No. 9118 Princess Elizabeh (colour); 3F 0-6-0T No. 47387 at Liverpool Riverside with a Liverpool University Public Transsport Siociety special on 13 June 1964; BR Standard Class 5 4-8-0 No.. 73121 at Greenock Prince's Pier station with boattrain from Glasgow St. Enoch in September 1965 (S.W. Rankin: colour)

Readers' forum. 61

Station location: 'Aberdare' 2-6-0. Editor. 61.
See page 630 of Volume 35: was it Porthmadog or was it Barmouth an was class permitted to cross Barmouth Bridge?

J.F. McIntosh. John Macnab. 61.
Error on page 595 of previous Volume concerning 92 class (condensing version} 0-4-4Ts which stated all withdrawn in LMS period: quotes Ian Allan ABC for 1949 and previous page of one extant in Stranraer in 1956!

J.F. McIntosh. James Hargrave
James Clark Bunten of Dunalistair

BR and beyond in Gwynnedd. Bob Saxby
If toredo worm had been evident fifteen years earlier then Bangor to Afonwen line might have survived to give Pwllheli and Portmadog faster access

BR and beyond in Gwynnedd. Chris Magner
Nigel Dawson, a Principal grade civil servant at the Department of Transport and Talyllyn Railway volunteer managed to get a grant for the Cambrian lines to open on Sundays.

Battling Beeching in the High Peak. Nigel Whitwell
Norbury is not only level crossing

A Great Western tenancy. Stewart Clark.
The Severn Valley Railway acquired bow-ended ex-camping coach No. 4786 of 1927 to provide accommodation for its volunteers and located it at Kidderminster station, but subsequently acquired a Hawksworth sleeper for the same function. After considerable soul searching No. 4786 is being restored to its original state as an "ordinary" corridor coach, but is more akin to a Hall to Saint re-creation.

Motorail trains. Gerald Goodhall.
Describes family journey from London to Carlisle on 23 July 1994. The train was the 08.30 from Euston diverted via Northampton and was powered by Class 87 No. 87 004. They enjoyed an excellent breakfast on the train, Notes that some of the formations sanwiched the locomotive between the carriages in front and the motorail vehicles behind with the drivver in the DVT in front.

Motorail trains. Arnold Tortorella. 62
The Times of 17 May 1939 contained a block advert announcing "Scotland - calling all sportsman" which promoted the carriage of motor cars at re duced rates for one first class or two third class ticket holders on the West Coast or East Coast routes. The advert slightly modified was repeated on 7 June. The LMS had purchased new carriage carrying vans from Metro Cammell to D2026 in 1938; the LNER used its pre-grouping stock.

Book reviews. 62

Kendal Tommy: a history of the Arnside to Hincasster branch. Dave Richardson. Cumbrian Railways Associaton. 98pp. Reviewed by DWM *****
"This is an excellent book, it adds delightfully to our store of railway knowledge."

BR steam locomotives complete allocations history 1948-1968. Hugh Longworth. Oxford Publishing. 400pp. Reviewed by Michael Blakemore. *****
"Momumental compilation... highly recommended"

Horwich Locomotive Works re-visited. M.D. Smith. Author. 192pp. Reviewed by Michael Blakemore. ****
Update of a book first published in 1956 since when they have been demolished and replaced by modern housing: book notes retention of some of old str eet names featuring names like Arkwright and Fairburn.

Riley in Ireland: a photographic odyssey; compiled by Michael McMahon. Totem Publishhing. 80pp. Reviewed by DWM,****
Excellently produced, the photographs were taken during one weekend in May 1950.

Frost report.. A.J. Clarke rear cover
L1 2-6-4T No. 67800 leaving Bingham for Grantham with train from Nottingham Victoria on 29 December 1962: frost on ground and on trees in Great Freeze of 1962/3.