Industrial railway locomotives
Sorry this age is a mess: there are conflicts between location,
industry and to an extent locomotive manufacturer and mode of operation (horse
haulage continued for a long time). The paradigm industrial locomotive is
a battered Manning Wardle locomotive pushing or hauling antique trucks around
a quarry, coal mine, steelworks, or cement works. There was great variety
in working locations from high up on mountains, as in the slate quarries
in Wales, to the fiery environments of gasworks. Some were employed on major
civil engineering works which in the 1920s and 30s included highway construction.
The excavation of the Manchester Ship Canal called for a large number of
locomotives. There was also a diversity of locomotive types in terms of gauge,
size and origins. Some of the larger industrial organizations employed former
main line locomotives: in the North East of England tender locomotives were
sometimes used: some collieries worked their own trains over LNER tracks
to reach the staithes on the Tyne and Wear. This is a new page, but it is
hoped that it will grow quickly, but sadly it conforms to the battered image
Archive and Railways Archive contain mush useful material and
Backtrack normally builds its brief features on the back of the Industrial
Railway Society and its members.
The justifiable complexity of the Society's publications is exemplified by entry 10099 in Ottley Second Supplement p. 44 and on the daunting collection in the NRM: Kevin Jones suspects that order and tranquility might be achieved via high quality scanning, a large website, and a team of human indexers..
The Industrial Railway Society has (1) a comprehensive series of handbooks on industrial locomotives which appear to have been uniformly well reviewed and (2) an excellent website. They pose a considerable problem for arrangement as the areas covered vary greatly in size for the present they are merely listed in approximate order of publication/review date.
Industrial Railway Society publications
Industrial locomotives 1976. Industrial Railway Society.
Reviewed by Basil K. Cooper in Railway Wld, 1976, 37, 487
Industrial Locomotives 1982. Industrial Railway Society. 305pp,
As the sub-title explains, this excellent volume includes all the preserved and minor railway locomotives. There can be no better recommendation, nor one in all honesty, that the earlier edition of this book has been at the elbow of the editorial staff. The book is comprehensive, clearly laid out and accurate. Also useful is the section on BR departmental stock .(Rly Wld, 1982, 43, 541)
Weaver, Colin Rodney. Baguley locomotives, 1914-1931: the locomotives
built at Shobnall Road Works, Burton-on-Trent, by Baguley Cars Limited and
Baguley (Engineers) Limited. Industrial Railway Society, 1975.
Mountford, C.E. The Bowes Railway: formerly the Pontop & Jarrow Railway. 2nd ed. Industrial Railway Society, 1976.
Colin E.Mountford. Rope & Chain Haulage: The Forgotten Element of Railway History' Industrial Railway Society.
Shepherd, Cliff. Brewery railways of Burton on Trent. Industrial Railway Society, 1996.
Shepherd, Cliff. Skinningrove Iron and Steel Works its history, railways and locomotives. Industrial Railway Society, 2013. 200pp
2013 Railway Book of the Year (Railway & Canal Historical Society prize: see Bulletin No. 444 (2013)
Etherington Arthur Roy, Excell, Peter S. and Tonks, Eric S. editors. British industrial locomotives Industrial Railway Society, 1969. 2v.
Etherington Arthur Roy, editor. British industrial locomotives. National Coal Board surface systems, 1967-1969;. Industrial Railway Society, 1970.
Wear, Russell and Lees, E. Stephen Lewin and Poole
Foundry. 1978. 119pp.
Tonks, Eric S. Ruston & Hornsby locomotives.
Reviewd Rly Wld, 1990, 51, 355.
Bendall, Ian R. Industrial locomotives of Nottinghamshire.
The work is divided into three major distinct sections: maps; the main text with indexes; and illustrations. The main body of the text was divided into industrial locations (sand pits, steelworks, power stations, etc); the National Coal Board; contractors and dealers; preservation sites; non-locomotive systems; and indexes to locomotives; locomotive names and owners and locations. Having found The maps are skeletal and make sensible use of colour: industrial standard gauge lines are shown in red; narrow gauge in green. Main line routes are shown as black lines and waterways are shown in blue. Some major roads are indicated. One of the distinctive industrial activities of the area was the mining of gypsum. The major "fault" in the strategy is that coal seams and other industrial activities could straddle more that one county, and one is tempted to wonder whether the original strategy was correct. Reviewed by Michael Blakemore in Backtrack, 2000, 14, 494 ("recommended reference work") and by Neil Parkhouse in Archive. 2000 (25), 46: comprehensive and highly recommended..
Bradley, V.J. Industrial locomotives of North Wales.
Reviewed in glowing terms by T.J. Edgington in Backtrack, 1993, 7 166
Booth, A.J. Industrial railways of Seaham.
Reviewer (Roger Hennessey Backtrack, 1995, 9, 398) appeared to be disappointed, especially with photographs of diesel locomotives. .
A J. Booth. Small mines of South Wales, , 96 pp, 124 photo illus, 33 plans,
Booth, A.J. Peat Railways of Thorne and Hatfield Moors.
Neil Parkhouse in Archive, 1998 (20) 35 "More good stuff from the IRS and from Adrian Booth, author of the two (highly recommended) volumes by them on The Small Mines of South Wales. The photographs are clear and sharp, and there is a good selection of site maps".
Baker, Allan C. Industrial locomotives of North Staffordshire. 400 pages + 27 pages of maps and 144 photos.
Another of the excellent IRS handbooks, this volume covers an area centred on the Potteries and bordered by Shropshire, Cheshire and Derbyshire. The format is familiar, with each site listed separately with the locomotives known to have worked there. An interesting chapter also records the operators of private owner wagons in the area. There are indexes of locomotives, locomotive names, owners and locations, while the work is complemented by a series of well-drawn coloured maps. 144 b/w photographs accompany the wealth of detail. As usual, a highly- recommended source of reference. From review by Michael Blakemore in Backtrack, 1998, 12, 61..
Shill, R.M. Industrial locomotives of South Staffordshire. 172pp. 48 illus.
Etherington, Roy and West, Roger. Tramways and Railways of John Knowles (Wooden Box) Ltd.
Railway history would be very much poorer had not the Industrial Railway Society been able to publish so many excellent, if specialist, works over the years. This volume is no exception. Backtrack, 1998, 12, 577...
Hill, Geoffrey and Green, Gordon. Industrial locomotives of Gwent.
"essential reference work" From review by Michael Blakemore in Backtrack, 1999, 13, 510. Neil Parkhouse notes that it is "well reserched and invaluable" and that it is Gwent and not Monmouthshire.in Archive, 1999 (23) 48.
Bradley, V.J. and Hindley, P.G. Industrial Locomotives of Lancashire. Industrial Railway Society. NP
Subtitled Part A The National Coal Board, meticulously researched booklet is packed with information will be a must for all industrial railway historians: Neil Parkhouse in Archive, 2001, (29) 48.
Booth, A.J. British small mines. 2 vols (North and South).
"highly recommended". Backtrack, 2002, 16, 355. Neil Parkhouse in Archive, 2000 (27) 43 reviewed the North volume.
Waywell, Robin. Industrial locomotives of Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire. 412pp. 96 illus.
"meticulous research... invalauable reference work" Backtrack, 2002, 16, 534.
Waywell, Robin and Frank Jux. Industrial railways & locomotives of the County of London..
Very well received in Archive, 2009, (62) 42. Notes that in addition to the gas works, docks an the many military sites, notably the Royal Arsenal, that this comprehensive survey includes many contractors' locomotives associated with major engineering projects.
Fisher, C. Industrial locomotives of East Anglia. 286pp. 64 illus.
Waywell, Robin. Industrial railways and locomotives of Hertfordshire & Middlesex. c2007. 369pp. 43 maps, 64 illus.
Industrial railways and locomotives of South Yorkshire: the coal industry 1947-1994. 2004. 124pp. 7 maps, 32 illus.
Mountford, Colin E. and Holroyde, Dave. Industrial railways & locomotives of County Durham - Part 1. 492pp. 36 maps (22 col,). 181 illus.
Industrial railways & locomotives of Leicestershire & South Derbyshire. 174pp.
Smith, Andrew C. Industrial railways and locomotives of Worcestershire. 2005. 60pp.
Smith, Andrew C. and Etherington. Industrial railways and locomotives of West Yorkshire. 2004. 188pp.
Industrial railways and locomotives of Warwickshire. 2003. 140pp.
Bradley, V.J. Industrial locomotives of Yorkshire: Part A - The National Coal Board in West & North Yorkshire (IPB 8A). c2002. 162pp.
Bradley, V.J. and Hindley, P.G. Industrial locomotives of Lancashire: Part A - The National Coal Board (IPB 7A). c2000. 100pp.
Bradley, V.J. Industrial locomotives of North Wales. 1992. 500pp.
Havilland, J. de. Industrial locomotives of Dyfed & Powys. c1994. 342pp. 80 illus.
Potts, M. and Green, G.W.. Industrial locomotives of West Glamorgan. c1996. 260pp.
Hill, Geoffrey. Industrial locomotives of Mid & South Glamorgan. 384pp. 95 illus. 19 col. maps.
Hill, Geoffrey. Industrial locomotives of Gwent. c1999. 354pp. 80 illus. 23 col. maps.
Frank Jux and Roger Hateley. Industrial railways and locomotives
of Sussex & Surrey. Industrial Railway Society.288pp.
Reviewed Archive, 2015 (86), 49: We have reviewed a number of the IRS Handbooks over the years and can safely say that this one is of the usual high standard and will be the first volume turned to when looking at any industries in either of the two counties. This is one thing that these handbooks do well, they give an overview of an areas industry let alone listing all known locomotives used there. Whilst quarrying is to be expected in the area, together with brickworks, there are a couple of surprises including a milk bottling plant. The larger railway systems also benefit from having a plan of the system and the buildings etc whilst all of the locations included are keyed in to very useful index maps at the front of the book. There are also a good number of illustrations, many of them in colour. Again, this book is recommended to both industrial railway and industrial historians alike as an extremely useful reference tool.
Carter, Orson. The beast of Baddesley - a colliery Garratt. Bylines, 1997, 1 (3) Aug/Sep 232-7.
Cumberland coal. David Idle (photographer) and John Scholes
Backtrack, 2018, 32,
Colour photo-feature: Hunslet 0-6-0ST WN 3302/1945Stanley with Giesl ejector ex-Walkden Colliery at Ladysmith Colliery washery (but from Haig Colliery); Hunslet 0-6-0ST WN 3699/1950 Revenge with Giesl ejector ex-Walkden Colliery with Jubilee skips for dumping colliery waste into Irish Sea; 0-6-0ST Avonside WN 1772/1913 formerly Stella Park of William Colliery Whitehaven, but rebuilt by Hawthorn Leslie in 1935 and named Askham Hall dumping colliery waste into Irish Sea near Whitehaven harbour; Hunslet 0-6-0ST WN 3778/1952 Warspite and train of hoppers from Solway Colliery on Lowca Light Railway;Warspite drawing condemned Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T WN 1587/1927 (built for Ifton Colliery in Shropshire) at Harrington. Photographs taken 19 July 1971.
Brotchie, A.W. The Wemyss Private Railway. Oakwood Press.
This book is not just a narrow history of a line and a list of its all-time locomotive stock. It contains much industrial and social history of this region. The photographic coverage is superb and includes collieries (even to the coalface), docks and shipping,, brickmaking (women's work, apparently) cranes and electric tramways as well as comprehensive coverage of locomotives, rolling stock and signalling matters. There are many maps. One for the 'how it should be done shelf'. A must (Michael Rutherford:. Backtrack, 1998, 12, 577)...
The Jazzer and the last Manning Wardle. Michael Shaw.
Warwickshire Industrial Locomotive Trust. MR *****
covers two locomotives owned by the Warwickshire Industrial Locomotive Trust, The Lady Armaghdale, a Hunslet 'Chest' class 0-6-0T, originally St. John of the Manchester Ship Canal Railway and Warwickshire, the very last Manning Wardle to be built at the Boyne Engine Works, Leeds.
BT 12, 577
Oxfordshire Ironstone. Dick Riley (phot.) Industrial Railway Society
(captions). Backtrack, 2000,
Colour photo-feature: Oxfordshire Ironstone Company photographed 13 April 1957: 0-4-0ST Barabel (Hudswell Clarke 1868/1953) (black); 0-6-0T Sir Thomas (Hudswell, Clarke 1334/1918) (red), 0-6-0ST The Bursar (Hunslet 1645/1930 (had worked in Palestine during construction of Haifa harbour); 200HP Sentinel Phyllis (9615/1956) (red) and Hunslet The Dean (1496/1926)(black). Several include American-style dumpcars.
NCB Steam at Rawnsley. Dick Riley with notes by Industrial Railway
Socity. Backtrack, 2000,
Col. illus.: B class Fox Walker no 266 at Cannock ; Ex LBSC E class no. 110 Burgundy as Cannock and Rugeley [CRC] No 9 Cannock Wood; No 3 Progress on a miner's paddy train from Hendesford to CRC ; Q class Peckett (786/1899) at the CRC as no 3 Progress. Further information on Cannock collieries from D. Woodman (14-614) and page 674 (same letter?)
Islip Iron Co.
Very small 0-4-0T supplied by Bagnall. Locomotive Mag., 1914, 20, 123. with illustration
Early limestone railways: how railways developed to feed the furnaces
of the Industrial Revolution in South East Wales. Newcomen Society.
MR ***** BT 16, 354
Northern Northumberland's minor railways. Roger Jermy.
Volume one: Brickworks, forestry, contractors, military target railways and various other lines. 128 pp.
Volume Two: Colliery & associated lines. 128 pp.
Volume Three: Sandstone, whinstone & gravel lines. 160 pp.
Volume Four : Limestone industry lines. 136 pp.
This set of four volumes can be described in one word superb! They cover all of the minor railways in Northumberland and it was a surprise as to just how many there were. Even more so is that much of the infrastructure and the railways were photographed allowing these books to be extremely well illustrated. Each concern dealt with has a full and interesting text and the author is to be congratulated on the amount of material that he has dug out and assembled in a very readable manner. Three of the volumes reveal many interesting, and some very unexpected, lines a possible line used for seaweed comes into this latter category whilst Volume 2 which covers colliery railways contains perhaps the better-known lines. Reproduction of the images is up to the usual standards expected from Oakwood and your reviewer has no hesitation in recommending all of these volumes Reviewed Archive, 2013 (79), 31..
Sentinels at Roads Reconstruction Ltd. R.C. Riley (phot.); captions
John Scholes and Industrial Railway Society.
Backtrack, 2003, 17,
Three colour illustrations of Sentinel No. 1 (9374/1947); No. 3 (9384/1948) and Works Number 6090/1925 which was exhibited at The Empire Exhibition in Wembley: all at Whatley Quarry in Somerset:
The railways of Royal Ordnance Bishopton. R.N. Forsythe.
Backtrack, 2005, 19,
There were over 45 miles of 2ft 6in gauge track and 17 miles of standard gauge at a 2000 acre site opened in 1940. During WW2 an internal standard gauge passenger service was operated from Fullwood, adjacent to Georgetown between Paisley and Greenock to Netherfield, South Crook, Rock Bank and Netherfield. These service are not listed in Private and untimetabled railway stations by Godfrey Croughton et al (1982: Ottley 16279). Author mentions more than one Industrial Railway Society citation, but with inadequate details. Author visited the site in year 2000 shortly before it closed. Motive power included woman-power (illustrated).Illus. LNER G5 No. 1169 on freight during WW2. See letters from Jim MacIntosh and from Andrerw Wilson on page 380.
Saddle tank shunters. captions: John Scholes (Industrial Railway Society).
Backtrack, 2005, 19,
Colour photo-feature: Andrew Barclay (1969/1925) 0-4-0ST J.N. Derbyshire at the Carlisle Plaster & Cement (now British Gypsum) Cocklakes Works, near Cumwhinton on 18 April 1969 (Alan Tyson); Andrew Barclay (?/1949) 0-4-0ST as NCB West Ayr Area No. 21 at Waterside Colliery with coal wagon/tender on 9 June 1966 (AT); Manning Wardle inside-cylinder 0-6-0ST (2047/1926) at Rugby Cement Company's works on 16 May 1966 (R.C. Riley); Yorkshire Engine Co 0-4-0ST 784/1905 as New Parkgate Iron Co.'s No. 8 at Hellingdon in Northamptonshire on 13 April 1957 (RCR).
Thrower, David. Southern gone west: The North Devon
& Cornwall Junction Light Railway. Part 1. BT 19, 548-56.
The Company was founded in 1909 with the backing of Colonel Holman F. Stephens. Powers for the line were obtained from the Light Railway Commission on 28 August 1918, but had to be re-obtained on 22 April 1922. The line opened on 27 July 1925 and was worked by the Southern Railway, but the line remained independent until 1948. Much of the line was built along the course of the narrow gauge (3ft) Torrington & Marland Railway which was constructed to serve the ball clay industry in the Peter's Marland area. The locomotive stock of the narrow gauge railway is lightly sketched and included 0-6-0ST Mary (Black Hawthorn 1880), 0-6-0T Marland (Bagnall 1883), 0-4-0T Peter (Lewin 1871), 0-4-0VB Coffeepot (Head Wrightson), and Fletcher Jennings 0-4-0ST Jersey No. 1, Jersey No, 2 and Merton. The ssaddle tanks were removed from the larger locomotives to reduce weight and these were towed behind on a wagon permanently connected to the locomotives. There was a further Bagnall 0-6-0T (1886) and Avonside 0-6-0ST Avonside of 1901. Presumably the Industrial Railway Society has fuller details. The seemingly endless series of halts were at Watergate, Yarde, Dunsbear, Petrockstow, Meeth, Hatherleigh (the only place of significance, but far removed), Hole for Black Torrington and Halwill Junction are described and illustrated. Part 2 see page 646 et seq.. See letter on p. 636 from Rabbi Walter Rothschild with observations from Bert Dyke on mixed trains, passenger numbers (mainly zero) and E1/R class.
Hurley, Paul. The ICI Light Railway.
Backtrack, 2005, 19,
The Alkali Division of Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI) had an extensive railway network in Cheshire which connected with the WCML and the Cheshire Lines Chester to Manchester line near Hartford. Another line was the Weston Point Light Railway near Runcorn created by Castner Kellner (a constituent of ICI) to link their plants with the LNWR in 1920. There was a further network at Winsford. There is a long list of locomotives employed by ICI at their Brunner Mond and Alkali Divisions and at Weston Point and at Winsford. The assistance of the Industrial Railway Society is recorded. Illus.: 0-4-0WT Crookes (Kerr Stuart 1917); 0-4-0WT Hemming (Kerr Stuart 1916), 0-4-0WT Kelvin (Borrows, 51/1908), 0-4-0WT Faith (Kerr Stuart 1928); powerful 0-6-0T Castner (Andrew Barclay); sidings at Lostock works, Northwich.
Autumn in the Valleys. Sullivan, Brian (phot.) and John
Scholes (Industrial Railway Society). BT 20, 580-1
Colour photo-feature with extended captions: Avonside (1914) 0-6-0ST St John at Mountain Ash locomotive shed on 6 October 1971; Hunslet Austerity 0-6-0ST (WN 3817/1954) Llewellyn with train of Jubilee skips at Hafodyrynys Colliery near Pontypool on 7 October 1971;
East Greenwich Gasworks. 2-10. Archive 1994
Includes notes on extensive railway system: locomotives illustrated: 0-4-0STs Number 6 (Hawthorne Leslie 2335/1895; Number 7 (Hawthorne Leslie 2401/1895), and No. 13 Bagnall 1653/1901. For "aerial view" of area see Issue 39 page 40.
Andrew Neale. Gas works narrow gauge. Archive, 2017 (96), 2-11, 64
Andrew Neale. Sentinel stronghold.
Archive, (90), 2016, 31-9.
Tottenham & Edmonton Gas Light & Coke Co. was established in 1847. Originally the coal came by sea from County Durham to Blackwall Wharfb and thence by rail to the works alongside the main line to Cambridge. Supplies of coal were eventually received from Yorkshire conveyed all the way by rail, but some still came in by sea from Durham.
Industrial Railways & Tramways of Flintshire: Part
5. The Nerquis Railway and the Mold and Tryddyn Branch. J.R. Thomas
& M. Griffiths. 19-33. Archive 1998
Part 4: see (18) page 30: Includes reproduction spread over several pages of 1871 6 inch OS maps. Includes collieries within areas served. Illus.: p. 19: Mold Tryddyn Junction & signal box: p. 25 upper Dee Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST (1179/1910) out of use at Mold Gas Works; 25 lower trackbed from Oak Pits Colliery to Mold Gaol (used as railway 1868 to 1871, thereafter as road; page 27 upper site of railway to Hendre pits; page 27 lower Waen Colliery winding house; page 28 bridge over River Terrig (Nerquis Colliery branch); page 29 generator and dynamo Nerquis Colliery winding house;page 30 adit at Plas-yn-Mhowys; page 31 bridge on LNWR branch to Plas-yn-Mhowys; overall view of Coed-Talon "triangle" with 44065 shunting on 18 April 1959. Also mentions Broncoed Colliery see informative letter by Jim Evans in Issue 22 page 53 concerning Jacob Forrest involvement.
Reviews, 35. Archive (20)
Industrial Railways & Tramways of Flintshire Part 7: The Mold & Denbigh Junction Railway. I.R. Thomas and M. Griffiths. Archive, 1999, (23) 26-41.
Illustrations: p. 26 45001 with train of agricultural machinery from Jones Bakers factory, Mold, c1957; p. 27 44595 arriving Mold station with tank wagons for Synthite Works on 15 July 1963 (R.M. Casserley); p.29 Bailey Hall Colliery c1890 with dumb-buffered internal-user wagons, and wagons from Hendre Lime Works and Leeswood Colliery; page 30 (upper) Alynva Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 1761/1922? at Alyn Tinplate Works on 29 August 1948 (R.T. Russell); (lower) Motor Rail locomotive No. 3 at Synthite on 20 May 1963; p. 31 Alyn Tinplate Works - interior in 1948 (disused); p. 32 Motor Rail locomotive owned by Synthite on 24 September 1984; p. 33 Ruby Brick & Tile Works on 25 April 1910; p. 34 same works in early 1900s with Foden steam tractor; p. 36 (upper) Gwen Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST (875/1900) Hendre Lime Co., (lower) Glan-yr-Afon Lime Co. lime wagon Gloucester Wagon Co. official photograph January 1977 (dumb-buffers); p. 38 Arkayer Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0ST (303/1888) owned Partington Steel & Iron Co. at Bodfari c1930; p. 39 former LNWR 2-4-2T LMS 6627 leaving Bodfari station on 26 May 1947 (W.A. Camwell); p. 40 LNWR "Jumbo" heading LNWR train at Bodfari in 1904; p. 41 (upper) North Hendre Lead Mine Sidings with 48749 heading train of limestone in 1966; (lower) 45044 derailed at Synthite Works on 25 October 1966.
The New Reynolton Anthracite Colliery Company. Martin R. Connop Price.
Archive, 1999 (23)42-3.
Illustrations during redevelopment of colliery in 1913 and its connection to the Saundersfoot Railway. The main proprietor of this Pembrokeshire venture was Thomas Maslin Harris. Also additional material for Skimpings in Issue 21 page 56.
Madeley & Lycett Collieries. Allan C. Baker. Industrial
Railway Society. NP. Archive (28) 42
"This is actually Issue 161 of Industrial Railway Record, the IRS's magazine, but has been done as a special issue concentrating on these North Staffordshire collieries and without the regular features such as letters ete. Well illustrated and with Allan Baker's detailed and knowledgeable text."
The locomotives of Lever Bros. railways, Port Sunlight. Loco. Rly Carr. Wagon Rev., 1929, 35, 250-3. 6 illus., diagr.
Manchester Ship Canal
Grey, Ted. Locomotives of the Manchester Ship Canal Contract: 1887-1894. Archive, 2005 (44) 43-56; , 2005. (47) 2-19.
Thomas Andrew Walker was the original contractor for the massive project of building the Manchester Ship Canal, but following Walker's death in November 1889 the canal took over construction and acquired Walker's equipment, including his locomotives which had been supplied by seven suppliers of industrial locomotives, three of which (Kitson, Peckett and Black Hawthorn) are nor represented amongst the illustrations.
Port of London
Looe, built Robert Stephenson & Son in 1901 0-6-0ST acquired London & India Docks. Locomotive Mag., 1902, 7, 85
Manchester Cleansing Department
There have been descriptions of other sewage works railways (memory of Bradford and Glasgow)
Norman Jones. The narrow-gauge railways of the Manchester Corporation Cleansing Department. Rly Wld, 1958, 19, 242-5.
2ft 6in gauge railways served sewage farms on either side of the Manchester Ship Canal at Carrington and Chat Moss. Locomotives, all 0-4-0ST, used: No. 1 Hugo Shaw (Black Hawthorn WN 877/1886); No. 2 Grantham (Bagnall WN 1000/1888); No. 3 Richards (Hornsby & Sons): No. 4 Trevor (Bagnall WN 1574/1899) and replacement No. 3 Dixon (Peckett WN 1716/1926), named by Alderman Dixon, Chairman of the Cleansing Committee.
Davyhulme Sewage Works
Robert Nicholls. Davyhulme Sewage Works and its railway. Newark: Narrow Gauge Railway Society. 2015. 70 pp.51 ilklustrations. Reviewed by Richard Couthurst. J. Rly Canal Hist. Soc., 2015 (224), 405
Eckersley, Roger (phot.). Beer by steam: Burton Ale a selection of images from July 1954. Archive, 2006 (51) 30-45.
Map showing complex network of railways which used to serve the brewery industry of Burton on Trent reproduced from Cliff Shepherd's Brewery railways of Burton on Trent (Industrial Railway Society, 1996 and in print). Charles Roberts works photograph of three compartment tank wagon for Allsopp's. Many of the captions relating to the 1954 photographs note the colours (although colour photographs may have been reproduced for some by other photographers: see Backtrack, 2002, 16, 692-4): Bass 0-4-0ST No. 3 (Thornewill & Warham WN 609/1891) (painted light turkey red) alongside Allsopp's Old Brewery; Bass 0-4-0ST No. 10 (Neilson Reid WN 5567/1899) with train including three demountable tanks (painted blue and lettered "Bass"); Bass 0-4-0ST No. 4 (NBL WN 19848/1913) at the Stobnall Maltings; unidentified Bass 0-4-0ST at Stobnall Ale Stores; Bass train departing Bass New Brewery along Duke Street branch; Bass empty wagon train at Stobnall; Bass No. 5 Baguley diesel mechanical (WN 3027/1939) (now preserved Chasewater Railway); locomotives on shed at Middle Brewery including Worthington Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0ST; Planet petrol shunter Worthington No. 10; Worthington No. 6 0-4-00ST (Hudswell Clarke WN 1417/19">20); Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0ST with Worthington owner's plates and painted "No. 12" alongside Middle Brewery and Hop Stores;
A Round of Bass. R.C. Riley and David Sutcliffe (phots.). Backtrack, 2002, 16, 692-4.
Colour feature: brewery lines and their locomotives taken within period 1958 to 1961 in Burton-on-Trent Cliff Shepherd's Brewery railways of Burton on Trent (Industrial Railway Society, 1996) is cited. The captions describe the colour of the Bass locomotives as turkey red, but in copy held by KPJ it looks remarakbly like pink. Bass No. 16 (ex-Worthington No. 5) is described as being in blue, but it looks like black with red lining: No. 1 (Neilson 1900) with directors' saloon outside Middle Brewer and Hop Stores on 12 April 1958 (R.C. Riley); No. 1 shunting in front of Guild Street level crossing on 30 May 1960 (R.C. Riley); No. 11 (Neilson 1899) with No. 4 (NBL 1913) at Guild Street locomotive shed on 14 December 1961 (David Sutcliffe); Bass No. 16 (Bagnall 1923) and No. 9 (Neilson 1901) on 14 December 1961 inside sshed under repair (in darker surrounds looks like turkey red) (David Sutcliffe)
Brewery Railways. lan P. Peaty, David & Charles, 96pp.
Reviewed Rly Wld, 1985, 46, 575.
Cadbury at Bournville
Tank locomotive for Messrs. Cadbury Bros. Ltd.
Locomotive Mag., 1913, 19,
Outside-cylinder supplied by Avonside to specification of Louis Barrow engineer at the Bournville works
UK Regional Handbooks
The Regional Handbooks cover the industrial railways in each area of the UK. These were the first IRS publications, started right back in 1947, and by 1966 they covered all of England & Wales (but Scotland had to wait until 1976!). Since then they have been constantly up-dating their data and issuing new versions of these books. The amount of information has grown so much over the years that it has been necessary to split the regions into smaller areas to keep the books to a reasonable size and cost. For example Nottinghamshire, which was once grouped with Derbyshire & Leicestershire in "Book 'B' - East Midlands", now has a book of its own. That first book had a 4.2 x 5.4in format, of which Nottinghamshire covered just 31 pages - the new version has 384 larger pages for Notts alone!
The content of the Regional Handbooks varies to a certain extent, depending on the ideas of the individual editor. However all of these books cover all the industrial railways in each region, as well as those contractors and locomotive dealers. Preservation sites in the region are also covered, as are the more interesting lines that were worked without the use of locos. All known locos at each location are listed and there is a short history of each company or location. There is a general map of the region, with sectional maps showing the location and principal lines of each site. In latest books these maps are also in colour. Indexes are included for locations and for locomotives. There is also a separate section of black & white photos of a representative selection of locomotives.
Interim Pocket Books (IPBs)
It has always been the intention of the IRS to publish full historical Handbooks covering all regions of the United Kingdom. However for various reasons, largely due to limited volunteer resources, such books have yet to appear for certain areas. Books were published for these areas in the past, but some have not been revised for many years, and new 'full' Handbooks are not likely to appear for many more years yet. In order to make some progress with the Lancashire (one of the oldest, unrevised books), the IRS committee has sanctioned the production of Interim Pocket Books for the area, effectively updating the old Lancashire Pocket Book of 1952. These are being published as a pilot scheme in limited quantities, to cater for the needs of those members who have an interest in historical affairs.
In theory an IPB basically consists of the text of the old Pocket Book, amended in accordance with the Bulletins issued for that book, then further amended with data from the 12 issues of the EL books, and any other readily available additional information. However this series will not have the thorough vetting by the IRS Historical Records Officer, that would hold up work on other, full Handbooks. It is hoped that these IPB books will bring forth comments, corrections and additional information from readers, all of which will be carefully recorded for use in the full Handbook when that finally arrives.
Calshot seaplane base
Royal Arsenal Railway
Opened 10 January 1873, closed 1966. 1ft 6in gauge. 45 locomotives, including 16 of Charlton class with short wheelbase. Supplied by Avonside 1915-16. Marchall Encyclopaedia.
Mark Smithers. The Royal Arsenal railways: the rise and fall of a military network. Barnsley: Pen & Sword. 214pp.
Reviewed by Ian Pope in Archive, 2016, (91) 51 who notes that locomotives (of three different gauges are listted in an Appendix.
Cannock Chase Military Military
Stafford (Hudswell Clarke WN 310/1886). Archive, 2016, (91), 37 upper
Catterick Camp Railway
Catterick was an army training ground extending over 25 square miles and developed during WW1. It was capable of holding 45,000 soldiers and there was an airfield on the edge of the camp. A 4½ mile branch linked the Camp Centre to Catterick Bridge on the North Eastern Railway Richmond branch. As well as troops the branch had to handle military stores including both food and armaments. A passenger service operated beween the Centre and Catterick Bridge. The LNER took over the former Camp Railway on 30 September 1923. Camp internal train was formed of former North London Railway four-wheel coaches and LSWR 4-4-2T.See Locomotive Mag., 1934, 40, 150-2 in which the locomotive and carriage stock is both described and illustrated.
2-4-0T WD No. 42 (former Stratford & Midland Junction Railway No. 5 built by Beyer, Peacock WN 2466/1885);
former LSWR Adams 4-4-2T No. 0424 which had previously been at Longmoor and had been overhauled at Darlington Works (and slightly modified before going to Catterick);
No. 102 was an ex-Rymney Railway (one of three acquired by the War Department and had been built by Sharp, Stewart & Co. in 1872)
No. 104, a Hawthorn Leslie & Co. 0-6-0ST (WN 1361/1875) and was one of twenty purchased by the NER and was disposed to Messrs Wake and acquired from them by the War Department. After disposal from Catterick it worked at a colliery in the Barnsley District. WD No. 86 was a side tank, former North Eastern Railway No. 968 and after WW1 was working at Milford Haven Docks.
Manning, Wardle & Co.' s standard four-wheel saddle tank engines 0-4-0ST, No. 2, R.A.F. was supplied by Messrs. Wake to the Royal Air Force, but so far, we have been unable to trace the aerodrome at which it worked and may not have been Catterick..
Chatham Dockyard Railway
Opened 1866, closed late 1930s. 1ft 6in gauge. Locomotives came from Woolwhich Arsenal. 24 in service by 1913. Marchall Encyclopaedia..
Hoo Ness Island Railway
Opened 1905. 2ft 6in and 2ft gauges. Some stock came from Chattenden & Upnor Railway. Locomotive stock included Avonside Ascension and two Bagnall tank locomotives. Marchall Encyclopaedia..
Chattenden & Upnor Railway (Admiralty)
1898 to 31 December 1961. 2ft 6in gauge. 15 locomotives. 2-6-2ST Pioneer supplied by Yorkshire Engine Co. Marchall Encyclopaedia.
Adrian Gray. Isle of Grain railways. Lingfield: 1974. 65pp. (Locomotion Paper No. 75).
Lydd Military Railways
Established in 1883 to serve Artillery test ranges and locomotives acquired in 1885.
O.J. Morris. The Lydd (Kent) Military Railway and its locomotives. Locomotive Mag., 1934, 40, 238-41. 3 illustrations, 2 tables
Richborough Port & Railways
Created during World War 1 and included train ferry terminal. Originally secret
Bill Aves. Richborough Military Port: the locomotives.
Rly Arch., 2010, (29),
Jeff Wells. Richborough Military Port:. Rly Arch., 2009 (24), 2-18
Woolmer Instructional Military Railway/Longmoor Railway
The Woolmer Instructional Military Railway and the Royal Engineers Training
Centre, Royal Engineers. Locomotive
Mag., 1930, 36,
Six locomotives illustrated: Sir John French built R. & W. Hawthorn WN 3088/1914: outside cylinder; outside valve gear 0-6-2T with 16 x 24in cylinders; 4ft coupled wheels; 1016.7 ft2 total heating surface; 17 ft2 grate arrea and operated at 170 psi.
Thisbe: built R. & W. Hawthorn WN 2878/1911: outside cylinder; 0-6-2T with 14 x 22in cylinders; 3ft 6in. coupled wheels; 723.5 ft2 total heating surface; 11.3 ft2 grate rrea and operated at 170 psi.
Kingsley: built Hudswell Clarke & Co. WN 224/1880 for the Lynn & Fakenham Ry.outside cylinder 4-4-0T named Norwich; became Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway No. 10. Requisitioned during WW1 at end of which given heavy overhaul by the Yorkshire Engine Co. in 1923: 15 x 20in cylinders; 4ft 6in coupled wheels; 821.75ft2; 11.3ft2 grate area and worked at 140 psi. It was considered to be almost life expired
Selborne: W. Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. WN 3531/1922: outside cylinder 0-6-0T with 16 x 24in cylinders; 4ft coupled wheels; 860 ft2 total heating surface; 14.5ft2 grate rrea.
Kitchener and Gordon. former Taff Vale Railway 0-6-2T: Kitchener had been built by Kitson & Co. WN 2977/1886 No. 168; subsequently GWR No. 579; Gordon was built by the Taff Vale Rly at Cardiff in 1897 and belonged to the O1 class No. 28 and became GWR No. 450. Both had 17½ x 26in cylinders; 4ft 6½in coupled wheels, but Gordon had a larger boiler with 1148.5ft2 total heating surface, 19.14ft2 grate area and operated at 170 psi. Kitchener had 1022ft2 total heating surface, 18¼ grate area and operated at 140 psi. Gordon was considered to be very powerful being able to haul 375 tons between Bordon and Longmoor. All locomotives were illustrated
A further locomotive was a Webb 2-4-2T No. 6613 (formerly LNWR No. 658 (Crewe WN 3160/1891). This became Earl Haig.. There were three steam cranes:: an American brownhoist obtainedd from the Lidgerwood Manufacturing Co. of New York. It was mounted on two four-wheel typical American diamond bogies. A second crane is of the four wheel type used in docks and supplied by J.H. Wilson of Birkenhead in 1918 and a Cowans, Sheldon 65-ton crane WN 3828 repatriuated from the Anatolian Ry. in 1923. An ambulance train based on former North London Railway four-wheel coaches was intended for the Salonica Campaign, but the need ceased before the vehicles could be shipped. It was briefly used as a demobilisation train between Cologne and Calais and after standimg at Watford High Street for some months ended up at Longmoor where most were scrapped. There is also information on the Railway Training Centre and pictures of bridge builiding on Cranmer Pond. The Commandant, Lieut Colonel E. Woodhouse is acknowledged
The Fordell Railway, J.C. Inglis and F. Inglis.
Authors. Loco Rly Carr. Wagon Rev, 1947, 53
The Fordell Railway had much of interest in itself and had added interest. albeit of a melancholy nature, in that its closing "last August" resulted in the disappearance of the last wagonway in Scotland. The Authors have obviously gone to much trouble to trace the history of the line and the book which they have produced is well written and illustrated and may be recommended to all interested in industrial railways and early wagonways.
Powlesland & Mason
The best source remains the RCTS Locomotives of the Great Western Railway. Part 10. As contractors of motive power to the Swansea Harbour Trust the firm would have fitted very much into the contemporary scene, but that notion largely disappeared with the Grouping in 1923. Nothing appears to be known about Powlesland other that he was in business in 1865 and joined forces with Mason around 1875. Other contractors mentioned in the RCTS study include William Westlake who acted in a similar capacity between 1883 and 1891 and Christopher Rowland who took over in 1891 (he had been the traffic manager for the Swansea Harbour Trust prior to becoming a contractor to it.
Swansea Harbour Trust
The best source remains the RCTS Locomotives of the Great Western Railway. Part 10. See also Archive, 2016 (91), 16 for Progress (Cannock & Rugeley Collieries Co. Peckett Q class 0-6-0ST bought from Swansea Harbour Trust in 1915
Clements, McMahon & O'Rourke state that Great Southern & Western Railway sold a Bury type 0-4-2 to the Colliery in 1878
Northumberland Colliery locos.
Locomotive Mag., 1936,
No. 2186, G.W.Rly. six-coupled pannier tank sold to the Hazelrigg and Burradon Coal Co., Gosforth, Northumberland, and was running without any alterations to the painting, etc. No. B92, Southern Railway 6-coupled tank sold to the Hartley Main Collieries Co., and was No. 30 in their stock. The Cowpen Coal Co. of North Blyth, recently purchased from the L.N.E.R. 6-coupled tank, No. 304, class J71, built at Darlington Works in 1886, and was now No. 12, Cambois, in the colliery stock. A very interesting engine scrapped last month by the Hartley Main Collieries Co. was their No. 7. This engine was originally built by Lord Londonderry at his Seaham Harbour Works in 1889 for his Sunderland and Seaham Railway and was No. 20. Purchased by the N.E.R. about 1902 it was renumbered 1335. After working a few years it was sold to the Seaton Delaval Coal Co. and became their No. 10. On the amalgamation of the Seaton Delaval and Cramlington Coal Cos to form the Hartley Main Collieries Co. in 1929 it was renumbered 7. A still older engine and probably the oldest at present working in Northumberland is Hartley Main Collieries, No. 3, which was built by Robert Stephenson and Co. at Newcastle in 1867 to the design of E. Fletcher, then Loco. Supt. of the N.E. Rly. as No. 658. It was a 6-coupled double framed tender engine with all wheels in front of thel fire box. After -running on the N.E. Rly. for 36 years it was sold to the Seaton Delaval Coal Co. and became their No. 5, until the amalgamation in 1929, when it became the Hartley Main Collieries Co.'s No. 3, and barring accident will run for a few more years.
Backworth Colliery Co.
In 1934 acquired six coupled saddle tank locomotive No. 813 of the Great Western Rly. was now No. 12 in their list. Locomotive Mag., 1934, 40, 164
Seaton Burn Colliery
In 1934 bought No. 815, G.W.R. and numbered it 2 in their stock. Locomotive Mag., 1934, 40, 164
The Bowes Railway.
Locomotive Mag., 1936,
Late the Pontop & Jarrow Railway, had taken delivery from ,the L.N.E.R. of No. 1787, a six-coupled domeless tank engine, class J79, built at Gateshead Works in 1897, and was No. 5 in the Bowes Rly. stock. There were only three of this type built, Nos. 407, 1662, and 1787, and the last was one of the works pilots at Gateshead Loco. Works for some years. The family of Bowes have been associated in the coal mining industry in the County of Durham for upwards of 200 years. No. 5 was stationed at Jingling Gate Shed near Pelaw, and worked coal down to the shipping staithes at Jarrow-on-Tyne.
Lambton & Hetton Collieries.
1931, 37, 280.
Five 0-6-2 tank engines purchased from the Great Western Ry. had been numbered 52 to 56. The cabs had been lowered and altered to clear the tunnel on the Hetton line at Sunderland Docks. No. 52 is stationed at Sunderland, while the others were working from Philadelphia.
Glen Kilday. The Lambton, Hetton & Joicey Railway.
2017, 31, 268-74
G. Wood. The Lambton 'mainliners'. Rly Wld, 1987, 48, 606-7; 610-13.
Includes a map of thre Lambton Railway system which latterly was owned and operated by the National Coal Board.
South Hetton Colliery
Locomotives of the South Hetton Coal Co. Ltd. 7 illustrations
The South Hetton Coal Company was registered on 18 July 1874; its chaiman being W. Bailey Hawkins who also chaired the Colne Valley & Halstead Railway. CVHR No. 2 was sent to the South Hetton in 1894, but was scrapped in about 1902: it had originated as a Beyer Peacock product of 1860 for the North London Railway (its No. 42), was sold to the Whitehaven Colliery in 1883 (see also Locomotive Mag., 1911, 17, 220). In 1936 the stock consisted of:
No. 1 0-6-0ST built Black, Hawthorn & Co. WN 355/1875
No. 2 Haverhill 0-6-0T built Sharp Stewart WN 2358/1873 for Cornwall Minerals Railway (see also Locomotive Mag., 1911, 17, 198)
No. 3 Glamorgan 0-6-0T built by Hunslet Engine Co. WN 396/1886 for Manchester Ship Canal contractor: reconditioned by P. Baker of Cardiff in 1907
No. 4 Manning Wardle of 1873: builders plate lost; rebuilt 1913
No. 5 Manning Wardle of 1875; rebuilt att South Hetton in 1910
No. 6 0-6-0T Assembled at Siouth Hetton from boiler, tanks, frames and cylinders of Metropolitan Railway 4-4-0T
No. 7 0-6-0ST G. & J. Joicey of Newcastle WN 305/1883 rebuilt at South Hetton in 1908
No. 8 0-6-0T formerly ADR No. 2 (see Locomotive Mag., 1927, 33, 120) which originated as R. Stephenson WN 625/1848 for Southern Division of LNWR
No. 9 0-6-0ST Sir George formerly ADR No. 1 which originated as R. Stephenson WN 624/1848 for Southern Division of LNWR
No. 10 0-6-0ST Whitefield Sharp Stewart WN 1677/1866 for West Somerset Minerals Railway: in 1898 it was moved to the Ebbw Vale Works and rebuilt there in 1904: sold to South Hetton in 1914.
Locomotive foreman was called Coulthard; photographs by P.W. Robinson (except Glamorgan by A.W. Croughton)
Pelaw Main Collieries Railway
LNER engines Nos. 900, 1308 and 1310 working on in 1930. Locomotive Mag., 1934, 40, 164
An unusual colliery locomotive.
Locomotive Mag., 1936, 42,
41-2. illustration, diagram (side elevatiion)
4-4-0T at the colliery of the Micklefield Coal and Lime Co. near Leeds: No. 2 Emlyn: built by R. Stephenson & Co. WN 1959/1870 for the Snibson Colliery in Leicestershire. Other locomotoves at Micklefield Colliery: No. 1 Micklefield Kitson 0-4-0ST WN 2251/1879 rebuilt by Hudswell Clarke in 1921; No. 3 Preston Yorkshire Engine Co. WN 581/1899 reconditioned at the Colliery. No. 4 Ledston had been a Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST (WN 243) acquired from South Wales but scrapped in 1935
Rother Vallley Colliery
An old East & West Junction Railway engine.
Locomotive Mag., 1936,
42, 174. illustration
Beyer Peacock 0-6-0ST WN 1830/1870? with 4ft 3in coupled wheels and 16 x 22in cylinders. It had running number 1 and retained this when sold to the Rother Valley Colliery Co. in 1891, but subsequently was renumbered 0 in 1925. It received a new firebox and tubes when overhauled by the Yorkshire Engine Co. in 1910
Cannock Chase Colliery
See Andrew Neale. Archive, 2016, (91), 32
G. Scott-Lowe. Steam in the Valleys. Railway Wld., 1973, 34, 226-8
New locomotive for the Powell Duffryn Steam Coal
Locomotive Mag., 1903, 8, 184-5. illustration
Hudswell, Clarke & Co. 0-6-0ST No. 10:
James Nimmo & Co., Redding
railways, Polmont, near Falkirk
Used six locomotives manufactured by George Inglis of Airdrie Also owned a seconhand Peckett 0-4-9ST WN 763/1899 (previous & subsequent owners are listed). Robin Barnes Backtrack, 2020, 34, 360
Iron & steel
Gartsherrie Ironworks and its locomotives.
Locomotive Mag., 1929,
William Baird & Co. Ltd. was formed in 1830 to develop iron smelting initially based on local iron and coal in the area around Gartsherrie. They constructed blast furnaces there and at Kilwinning, Lugar and Muirkirk in Ayrshire. The firm had running rights over both the LNER and LMS and ran trains from Gartsherrie to Kilsyth with its own 0-6-0 tender locomotive which was kept very clean and smart. It was built by Dubs & Co., in 1874 (No. 756) and was painted a very light green, with fine black panels and vermilion lining, it hads a brass dome casing and safety-valve cover, and copper chimney cap. The eighteen "pug" engines were distributed among the Company's plants
NB: There are many further accounts of industrial plants and their locomotives in Locomotive Magazine
Alfred Hickman of the Staffordshire Steel and Ingot Ironworks, Bilston.
A Shay locomotive in the Midlands. Locomotive Mag., 1930, 36. 305.
Supplied by Lima Locomotive Works in Ohio in about 1900; withdrawn by date of article.
S. Ellingworth. The locomotives of Imperial Chemical Industries Ltd.
Mag., 1954, 60, 78-9. 2
One factory handled 11,000 wagons per week. 118 steam and 20 internal combustion engines were operated. Liveries were varied: black, grey, maroon, blue and green. Most were saddle tanks with outside cylinders and inside valve gear. There were eight six-coupled, but the remainder were four-coupled. Two 0-6-0STs were at the Dyestuffs Divion's plant at Blackley, Manchester: they were built by Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. in 1919 and 1920 and had to be able to cope with 1 in 33 gradients. The Lime Division 0-6-0 was built by Avonside in 1921. It, and three four coupled locomotives were fitted with the vacuum brake to handle 40-ton hopper wagons at Tunstead Quarry used to convey limestone to Winnington. Four 0-6-0 side tanks (No. 42 Isis illustrated) were at Billingham to handle trains weighing up to 1000 tons. They were built by Stephenson, Hawthorn & Co.: two in 1928 and two in 1947. The others were named Tyne, Tees and Cam.
0-6-0 tank locomotive for hauling potatoes.
Locomotive Mag., 1926, 32,
60 cm gauge 0-6-0T built by John Fowler & Co. (Leds) Ltd for J.H.Dennis to use on Nocton Estate near Lincoln.
Robert Hudson Ltd
Works at Gildersome: suppliers of rolling stock and traction (via third parties) and track. Connections with Leeds locomotive manufacturers
Warwickshire lime and cement works railways. Sydney A. Leleux.
Oakwood Press, 288 pp.
Reviewed Archive, 2015 (86), 49: These railways have held a life-long fascination for author Sydney Leleux, with his research commencing in the late 1950s. That he has been working on the various cement works lines for such a long period is obvious here with a vast amount of information having been accumulated, together with some 220 photographs and other illustrations. A brief history of cement manufacture is given and then the volume commences a tour around the county looking at all of the separate systems. Perhaps the best known was that at Southam where a fleet of Peckett saddle tanks was operated, all carrying geology inspired names. Many of the works also used the canal system to transport their output and a number of the images show this side of the operation. This, and a number of images of the works themselves make this much more than just a history of the railway systems and as such deserves to be on the industrial historian bookshelves as well as for those into industrial railways alone.
Stoyel, B.D. and R.W. Kidner, The cement railways of Kent. 128pp (Locomotion Papers No. 70).
Adrian Gray. Isle of Grain railways. Lingfield: 1974. 65pp. (Locomotion Paper No. 75).
Roger Wakely Kidner. The railways of Purbeck. Lingfield: 1973.
47pp. (Locomotion Paper No. 68).
Includes the narrow gauge lines
Chris Legg. The Furzebrook railway: of Pike Brothers' Dorset clay works. Truro: Twelveheads Press, 2016. 208pp.
Kingston-on-Soar Gypsum Mines Railway
Susan M. Youell. Lady Angela's Railway. Trains Annual 1967, 86-8.
worked by Peckett 0-4-0ST Lady Angela
Paul Myatt. The Batchworth Quarries railways. . Railway World, 1960, 21, 234-7
Hope Cement Works, Derbyshire:
G. & T. Earle
Acquired last locomotive manufactured by George Inglis of Airdrie in 1928 WN E800 Robin Barnes Backtrack, 2020, 34, 360
G.H.G. Crump and P.H. Howlett. Locomotives of the Port of Bristol
Authority, Avonmouth. Locomotive
Mag., 1936, 42, 285-6. 2 illustrations
Peckett 0-6-0STs dominated the fleet
City of London abattoir on Deptford Creek
Petrol shunting locomotive. Locomotive Mag., 1903, 9, 317
The Ewden Valley Ry.
Built by Sheffield Water Co. under Act obtained in 1867 from the MS&LR main line at Wharncliffe Wood between Oughtybridge and Deepcar stations to assist in the construction of More Hall Reservoir. Works included bridges across rivers and roads and the gradients were severe. The works were implemented by Sheffield Corporation. The locomotives used are tabulated: all were built by Manning Wardle & Co.: all were 0-6-0ST, but only Ewden was new; the remainder were second-hand. Birkenhead worked for Arnold & Sons on the Cuffley extension of the GNR. Don was older than the maker's plate date and came from Catterick Camp in 1921. Penn came from the Ebbw Vale Iron & Steel Co. in 1922 but had been bought by Pauling & Co. Ltd for the Northolt to Gerrards Cross section of the Great Western & Great Central Joint Railway contract. Frank came from the Chesterfield district in 1914 from Charles Baker & Sons,
|Ewden||1914||1860||13 x 18in||3ft 2in||160|
|Frank||1904||1642||12 x 18in||3ft 2in||150|
|Birkenhead||1901||1530||12 x 18½||3ft 2in||150|
|Don||1895||1293||12 x 17in||3ft 2in||150|
|Penn||1902||1539||12 x 17in||3ft 2in||140|
C. Morris foreman fitter was in bcharge of the locomotives. Colin
Clegg was the chief engineer.
Locomotive Mag., 1929, 35, 224-9, 10 illustrations, table
A,J. Bridges. Industrial locomotives of Scotland. Markret
Harborough Industrial Railway Society, 1976. 296 pp. (Pocket Book Series)
with 112 illustrations on 56 plates (KPJ: in addition to pages?) Clearly intended for Gulliver-sized pockets Ottley 9543
Captain Baxter (No. 3),
Batchworth Quarries railways 0-4-0 side tank with 3 ft. 6 in. wheels and 12 in. by 20 in. cylinders, delivered new from Fletcher, Jennings & Co. (Works No. 158). Railway World, 1960, 21, 234-7
Batchworth Quarries railways.0-4-0ST acquired 1875: built Yorkshire Engine Co. Ltd. in 1871. 3 ft. diameter wheels and 10in. by 16 in. cylinders. In or about 1892 it went to the Sub-Wealden Gypsum Co. Ltd., Mountfie1d, Sussex, and thence to the Brush Electrical Co. Ltd., Loughborough. Railway World, 1960, 21, 234-7
Batchworth Quarries railways. Railway World, 1960, 21, 234-7